mtbr member

2015 Anthem SX or Trance 1???

I just put money down toward either an Anthem SX or Trance 1. They'll both be showing up this Friday and I can't decide which to go with.

I'm coming off a typical AM/Trail type bikes, my last being the 2013 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29er. I like long rides with good climbing and usually fast flowy downhills. I'm also gonna do some long bike packing trips and maybe a few 24hr races.

What should I get?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Considering what you came from and what you ride, the Trance with 140 travel will probably give you the most versatility.

Sounds like we ride similar stuff and even with all of the long climbs I do, I wouldn't want anything less than 140mm of travel once the climbs are over!

"El Whatever"
    As owner of a Trance, if your trails are tight and twisty, you may prefer the Anthem. Also if you are racing.

The Trance is a pretty long bike. Yeah, it's very stable and noble, but it's a long horse and less agile on switchbacks and tight trails.

Agreed that the Trance is more versatile. It will cover all the bases with little compromise.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I recently picked up a Anthem SX after test riding both. Trance was fun, but as mentioned above, it is long and suprisingly wallowy compared to the ASX. The ASX seemed like a sports car compared to a pickup. OK, that might be a stretch. [for a little perspecive, I raced BMX semi seriously in the 80's, done lots of trials comps, and dabbled in DH racing].

I can't imagine trying to do a 24 hr race on a Trance. I'd love to have a Trance, but it wouldn't be my choice for a "only" bike.
    '15 Giant Anthem SX - '01 Schwinn Homegrown Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona Jake the Snake

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    If the downhills are flowey, you'd be fine on an anthem. The geo on the Trance really only shines when things get steep and gnarly. More of a fast into rock garden, smash burm to 3 foot flat drop type downhill.

What's great about the Trance is that it does all that and still climbs exceptionally well. But as mentioned, for any kind of xc racing or tighter trail riding, anthem is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Rode both around the parking lot and up a side street and the ASX just feels like a rocket and still aggressive. The only thing is I'm looking at quality of parts and for $1000 more there is a lot on the Trance that makes me smile.

Thanks for the input guys it really does help.

mtbr member
    Parking lot isn't really good testing ground for those bikes.

mtbr member
    Ya I know it just gave me a feel of the squish and quick idea of how the front end felt.
    I'm leaning more toward the Anthem SX but we'll see when I get there tomorrow.

Your Best Friend
    I have both. I'd ride the Anthem SX over the Trance 9 times out of ten.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    My problem is solved. LBS hooked me up and swapped out tires for WTB Trail Boss 2.4s, converted the rims to tubeless, and swapped the cassette so I can run a 1x10.

Can't wait to hit the trails this weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Anthem SX or Trance 1???-img_4536.jpg