mtbr member
    Jul 2014

2014 trance advanced sx or 2015 trance sx?

Im ready to purchase a new bike after selling my sb95. I was originally planning on getting the 2015 trance sx. But know after seeing and ridin the 2014 trance advanced sx, I'm really liking it, plus it comes in a sweet color (black). Both seem to be around the same price if I get a used 2014 advanced sx. I'm fairly new to mountain bikes (mainly been a moto guy)so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Your Best Friend
    Carbon is awesome and I'd personally get the 2014. However, you won't have any kind of warranty. How important is carbon vs. a warranty?
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member

2014 trance advanced sx or 2015 trance sx?

I have a really nice 2014 trance adv Sx with pike and high volume air can monarch for sale. In classifieds if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Giant Team Bike & Bean-Marin Co., CA

https://www.facebook.com/GiantBikeandBean

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Argibson, sweet sx and only if it was a medium.
    Silentfoe, Im also really liking the 2014 trance advanced sx. I just have to find one now. besides the carbon frame, how do they compare to one another? If i cant find a clean 2014, I will probably go with a new 2015 trance sx.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    just bought a 2014 trance advanced sx. Is there so much difference between Pike and Fox 34 Talas Kashima? I have never tried a Pike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Having come from club racing sportbikes to mountain biking i'll give the same advice I always gave to new moto riders. Your first bike should be borderline disposable.

Instead of asking which bike has better suspension, maybe ask which one you'd feel less bad about tossing it down a rock garden.

Reviews state the pike is leaps and bounds ahead of a 2014 fox 34. Who cares though if you need to replace it after smashing it off something. When you first start riding more gnarley stuff your ambition will be greater than your skill, there is no way around that. So get which ever is cheaper and plan on replacing trashed components

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyFoe View Post
    Having come from club racing sportbikes to mountain biking i'll give the same advice I always gave to new moto riders. Your first bike should be borderline disposable.

Instead of asking which bike has better suspension, maybe ask which one you'd feel less bad about tossing it down a rock garden.

Reviews state the pike is leaps and bounds ahead of a 2014 fox 34. Who cares though if you need to replace it after smashing it off something. When you first start riding more gnarley stuff your ambition will be greater than your skill, there is no way around that. So get which ever is cheaper and plan on replacing trashed components
    I don't hear about people "smashing" their forks that often. Not a good enough reason to use a crap fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    okay well maybe i'm a spaz then because i demo'd my stock 32. Took a chunk out of the plastic on the bottom of one leg, then caught a log right at the edge of the overgrowth and bent the stanchions.

someone else just on this forum actually took a gouge out of his stanchion and had to replace the upper half. The fox 34 would be lots of fork for a new rider. I think OP would be happy either way. I still vote for whichever bike is cheaper.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyFoe View Post
    okay well maybe i'm a spaz then because i demo'd my stock 32. Took a chunk out of the plastic on the bottom of one leg, then caught a log right at the edge of the overgrowth and bent the stanchions.

someone else just on this forum actually took a gouge out of his stanchion and had to replace the upper half. The fox 34 would be lots of fork for a new rider. I think OP would be happy either way. I still vote for whichever bike is cheaper.
    yeah, bad luck happens.
    I have a 2014 Talas 34 Factory that came with my Spider Comp and it's ok but not great IMO, but like you said, most new riders would do just fine on it