Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

2014 Trance advanced 27.5 frame weight?

Anyone know what these weigh?

I searched MTBR forums, Googled, read industry reviews. No mention anywhere of the frame weight.

Have I missed the obvious somewhere?
    Love isn't blind... its retarded.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Are you wanting to know the weight of the entire bike or just the frame?

mtbr member
    Just the frame.

A mate recently bought the advanced 2 (L) and it weighed in at 13.2kg with XT pedals. I though the frame would be under 2.5kg but after getting this weight and looking at the spec I think it must be a bit heavier than that.

He also pulled the wheels off and weighed the remainder of the bike = 9kg. I told him he should strip the bike so we can weight the frame. He told me to go...

Just Ride.
    This model?: Trance Advanced 27.5 2 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Australia
    Mine weighed in a 12.7kg for a medium. Maybe your scales are a little out? Or mine?

2010 Glory custom FR
    It may be 2,64kg (size M?) with shock.
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    My large non-advanced 1 weighs 13.2 with ODI grips, candy pedals, topeak iphone mount, wahoo blue sc sensor

mtbr member

sounds about right

Quote Originally Posted by frango View Post
    It may be 2,64kg (size M?) with shock.
    Considering the large would be a little heavier it makes sense. It also looks like the alu frames are probably not that much heavier either. Anyway decided to take the plunge and bought a Trance advanced 2. 1st ride and i can say that it definitely doesnt feel like a 30 pound bike and after riding some other 4 bar suspension bikes for the last year it just shows how superior maestro (and presumably the other vpp like suspension designs are)is. Simply amazing.

Just Ride.
    Put a Hans Dampf on the front. Throw it at anything and it'll grip.

mtbr member
    I know a guy weighed his size medium anthem 27.5 aluminum frame with seat collar installed and was 5# 8oz so the carbon is almost the same weight, if lighter its not by much, made me fell better about my purchase for sure. With an expensive build my aluminum framed size large model running 1x10 is under 24#.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I resently got a Giant Trance Advanced 27.5 1 in a large. Out of the box with shimano xt pedals it weighed 27.6lbs. With better tires (the stock ones suck) it is 28lbs. I would love to know the frame weight through

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    i am thinking about purchasing the trance advanced sx in medium how much does that way stock? I would like to get it down to 27lbs with canfield crampons and tubeless hans dampf on front and rear. I have carbon bars and xt brakes to throw on it since i hate avids. How else can I get the weight down? I heard the wheelset is dt swiss but how heavy and what are the POE on the hubs?

mtbr member
    The stock wheels weight around 1650g, and have DT internals. For some reason they only included the 18t star ratchet and not the 36t, but that's and easy swap.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    I have doubts about that 1650g figure, my narrower non SX wheels are more like 2000g. I think you will need new lightweight wheels and almost the best of everything to get a 27lbs build.

mtbr member
    In the Giant catalog they list the P-TRX1 that come on the SX advanced as weighing 1675g. If your talking about the wheels on the aluminum Trance SX, those are 2000g+.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Oh ok, makes sense now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    The stock wheels weight around 1650g, and have DT internals. For some reason they only included the 18t star ratchet and not the 36t, but that's and easy swap.
    I know this may sound like a dumb question but how is it an easy swap? What parts would i need? Is there a vid online showing how to change it out? I am just getting back into mtb. I can repair quite a few things on an mx bike but the hub thing is new to me. Thanks if you can point me in the right direction.

mtbr member
    No tools are needed. All you do is pull on the cassette and the entire freehub body comes off. There is a spring and two toothed rings.. Pull out the 18t ones, put the 36t ones in, replace the spring and slide the freehub body back on.
    DT Swiss 36t Star Ratchet Upgrade - YouTube
    this video shows how simple it is. He used tools to pop off the freehub body but you can leave the cassette on and do it by hand.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Awesome thanks for the vid link and advice!! I appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Just purchases a Trance Advance size large and stripped it down. Frame, shock, bb, seatpost clamp and headset cups - weight is 2640 grams so about 5.8lbs.

mtbr member
    a friend got a Med Trance Advanced Frame - with the Float X and seatpost collar, it's a hair under 5.8 lbs

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Oh wow just a couple hundred grams between the Alu and carbon. I just picked up a Float x that was a takeoff from and Advanced SX (to go on my MojoHD140). I'm seriously considering a Trance Alu frame set. At literally half the price of the carbon, and only a little heavier (probably lighter than my mojo even), seems like a hell of a deal. That extra $1500 can go towards an nice carbon wheelset!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ukr77 View Post
    Oh wow just a couple hundred grams between the Alu and carbon. I just picked up a Float x that was a takeoff from and Advanced SX (to go on my MojoHD140). I'm seriously considering a Trance Alu frame set. At literally half the price of the carbon, and only a little heavier (probably lighter than my mojo even), seems like a hell of a deal. That extra $1500 can go towards an nice carbon wheelset!
    Doesn't the advanced sx come with a fox talas? Mind me asking how much you paid for that take off? In process of ordering trance advanced sx and looking to take off talas to get a pike. Anyone interested in a new fox talas take off of advanced sx?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Just to clarify the couple hundred gram comment was just for the frameset alone. The float x was actually bought used from a guy that didn't like fox apparently. Nice shock, 300ish bucks 'used'. The only issue I'm having now is that the Alu frameset is the same colour as the Trance my wife is getting. We are not yet of the age to require matching bikes!
    As well, I'm not sure how it is (polar vortex maybe) that the Trance 27.5 1 is only $2990 here inCanada, but $3500 in the USA. Strange...

Your Best Friend
    Carbon isn't just about light weight. You also get a stiffer frame, longer life and a better ride. All worth the additional cost premium.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shredmx View Post
    Doesn't the advanced sx come with a fox talas? Mind me asking how much you paid for that take off? In process of ordering trance advanced sx and looking to take off talas to get a pike. Anyone interested in a new fox talas take off of advanced sx?
    I'm in the same boat, if you wouldn't mind, could you let me know (via PM maybe?) what you got for your talas? I'm trying to do the math to figure out how much more, out of pocket, the pike is going to run.

I really just want larger stanchions - so the fox 34 from the SX model would work, but I'd prefer to not have to replace $400 cassettes every season. Need to add up the cost of the Advanced 1 + pike - resale of F32talas to compare against the SX model

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast