mtbr member
    Jul 2014

2014 Trance 1 fork upgrade: Pike or fox 34 talas ctd or fox 34 float?

going to be doing a fork upgrade.
    options:

1. pike 150mm solo air or dual position
    2. fox 34 talas ctd 160-140mm adjustable
    3. fox 34 float 150mm

I may get lucky and get a fox 34 talas off of someone who has upgraded their fork on their trance sx for around $500. cheapest and easiest since i wouldnt need to get a new upper headset and stem like for option #1 and #3 above. the fox 32 talas has pretty crappy midrange damping.

any suggestions? anyone else swapped out the crappy fox 32 evo in their trance?

mtbr member
    Nice timing. I'm thinking about the same thing (for those that don't know, the Trance 1 comes with a 140mm Talas) on the same bike. I'm still playing around with the settings, but I can't get it to use more than half the travel. I'm probably 200lbs geared up, and have reduced the pressure from about 145 to 120, and am still just using half the travel. I think I'll go down to 110 next time.

I wonder how much longer travel shocks will impact the geometry. I know that the SX is the same frame but with a 160mm fork. I think I also read that it's more than just the travel that can raise the front end: that the Pike, for example, is just longer, so it's effectively more than the extra 20mm in travel distance higher. It would be interesting to know the effective difference between the stock fork and those you mentioned.

I'd also be open to other forks as I really don't know the difference between a Rockshox Pike and a Revelation and a Sektor. Or a Fox Talas 34 and a Float 34. Other than the size of the stanchions that is.

If I upgraded, I'd get rid of all the OD2 stuff. Just a pain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    interesting, I have the opposite problem with my talas 32 in that it is really mushy in the midrange and I feel like i'm gonna go over the bars on drops. noodly fork.

I think the size differences has to do with ATC measurement IIRC. axle to crown? i'll look int further. anyone swapped a pike into their trance yet?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Pike.

mtbr member
    I couldn't find that measurement on the Fox site for the stock fork. I did find one here. 527mm.

Looks like the 140mm Revelation is 539mm.

And the 150mm Pike is
    548mm.

mtbr member
    I had a 150mm solo air pike on my SX. It was an amazing fork and a sweet combo with the 140mm rear

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    What is your opinion about upgrading the original 32 Evo Talas fork with FIT damper? I found this product code on the Fox site: FIT CTD-ADJ cartridge 820-08-531-kit.
    But no price.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikers Only View Post
    I had a 150mm solo air pike on my SX. It was an amazing fork and a sweet combo with the 140mm rear
    did you change it out for something else?

i do a lot of climbing so may go for the dual position air pike. anyone running one?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've owned about 4 bikes, all with Fox 32's. I found all of them hard to tune to my satisfaction and was always left unimpressed. This is including Float's and Talas's. I now have the Fox 34 on my Trance Adv SX and its lightyears better. Unfortunately the significant change in tune of the 2014 Fox forks plus me going from 32 to 34 means I can't separate out the two impacts. It's very plush. But I know one thing for sure, I'm never going back to a 32mm of any fork brand ever again. It'll be 34 or 36. And as technology improves the 34/36 forks are gettign lighter all the time, why not take advantage of them?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post
    And as technology improves the 34/36 forks are gettign lighter all the time, why not take advantage of them?
    Because they don't make a Pike with a straight steerer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    fox 32 midrange support is weak and so is the rebound.

mtbr member
    Has anyone measured the steerer tube on the Trance 27.5s? If I measure with the fork on, from the bottom of the head tube to the top of the stem, it's about 223mm. But I have no idea how accurate that is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hey OP keep in mind that the pike is a 42mm offset where as everything else is 44. I still have the stock fork on my 2014 trance (for now) and have been considering upgrades.

One member on here said in a message to me that the x-fusion sweep was a huge upgrade over the fox 34 that came on his SX, and considering that x-fusion gets mediocre reviews compared to everything else on the market i think that says a lot.

As is on my trance i want it to steer quicker, and it would be great to know what offset the stock 32 has because i cant find those numbers. For what it's worth the manitou with a 44mm offset run at either 150 or 140mm of travel seems like by far the best bang for buck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    thanks FF for the info. how would a 2mm less offset affect the steering? this of course assuming the stock 32 has 44mm offset?? anyone??

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Your trail will become longer with less offset, resulting in slower/more stable steering.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I would be willing to bet the fox 32 has either a 42mm offset or less. I cant find any specs on the 2014 model but measuring my 32 shows an axel to crown of about 525mm. Any 34+mm fork is going to be at least 10mm longer at 140, and 20 at 150.

I use my trance for trail riding with a bit of light downhill. If i'm going to make my trance any slacker, i personally would wan't it to steer slower as i already find it to be a bit of a pig on XC tracks. I have no experience with other forks but realistically you'd probably be hard pressed to notice a difference of 2mm. That being said at 4 or 6 it makes a more dramatic difference so it's good to at least understand what you're buying.

I'd love to know what the offset on my 32 is. Also worth mentioning that you're comparing a 1000+ dollar pike to shocks you can buy barely used for 450 bucks. The fox 34 and pike aren't really in the same league.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyFoe View Post
    I would be willing to bet the fox 32 has either a 42mm offset or less. I cant find any specs on the 2014 model but measuring my 32 shows an axel to crown of about 525mm. Any 34+mm fork is going to be at least 10mm longer at 140, and 20 at 150.

I use my trance for trail riding with a bit of light downhill. If i'm going to make my trance any slacker, i personally would wan't it to steer slower as i already find it to be a bit of a pig on XC tracks. I have no experience with other forks but realistically you'd probably be hard pressed to notice a difference of 2mm. That being said at 4 or 6 it makes a more dramatic difference so it's good to at least understand what you're buying.

I'd love to know what the offset on my 32 is. Also worth mentioning that you're comparing a 1000+ dollar pike to shocks you can buy barely used for 450 bucks. The fox 34 and pike aren't really in the same league.
    i'd pay the extra coin to get the right shock. dual position rct3 is what i'm going for. was gonna try to get a talas 140 off of someone else's sx but if i'm already dropping $500+ might as well get the one i really want.

yeah, not worried about the 2mm. i run a 50mm stem which seemed to make the steering quicker as is. does longer trail result in better traction but slower steering? i need to go back and look at the geo and definitions again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Having upgrade my Trance SX from the 34 Talas Evolution to the much improved Talas 34 CTD Factory, I would say go for the Pike.

Although I only had 3 rides on demo bike with a Pike RCT3 Solo Air and likely didn't have it setup as best possible, I prefer it to the Talas 34 Factory.

I like the travel adjustment as it really does help for the really steep or extended climbs, but I can't setup the 34 to have small bump sensitivity without having it too soft for real hits.

Crazy as it sounds the fork appears to perform better on hard and successive hits better when in trail mode on the most firm setting, on the lighter trail adjust settings or on descent it is certainly more plush, but tends to feel harsh or that it is spiking when larger or successive hit are encountered.

I am going to change out the oil, first oil change, and hopefully that will help a little. For now I will keep the Talas 34 but will keep looking. If travel adjustment was not the issue I would have the Pike RCT3 solo or the Manitou Mattoc Pro. Perhaps I will keep on with Fox and next spring look to the then not so new 2015 Talas 36 fork as the replacement. Having the ability to dial in both high and low speed compression is key for me.

Good luck on your search and keep us posted on what you go with and how it works out for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Great to hear your experience with the fox 34 rideitall, and i have heard similar things from other people which is what steered me away from a used talas. Are you riding on the 150 or 160mm version and what does it drop to?

I pretty much like my trance the way it is i just want a better fork. I feel like 150mm would be lots of travel for what i expect this bike to be able to do on the downs, but 20mm increase in length for that is a lot without increasing the offset.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    thx rideitall. will keep you guys posted.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    LoL looked up my shock on the fox website (4 digit code ckxd) and it says in the drawings it's 44.0 +/- 2.5 fork rake on all models. Well isn't that helpful.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    If you call the Fox tech guys at the 1-800 number they can see the specific information on the tune you are likely looking for. Too bad it isn't posted directly.

Super Dad
    I'm running a 34 ctd talas 150mm on my trance and it feels good. I never use ctd or talas, leave it on trail and full travel. I'm 175-180 geared up, have air pressure set at about 65~ and I use all but about 20-25mm of travel. Small and large bump sensitivity is great although I do plan on converting it from talas to float this winter and maybe stepping down one weight on the oil to try and get that last bit of travel. I love the fork, but seeing as how it was a $300 score brand new on amazon that helps it alot with how much I love it. For $1000 I may still like it but idk if id be as thriled if I dropped that much on it
    2006 Monocog Flight 26
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5
    2014 Trek Crossrip

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    used i see them for 400-500, 650 in the factory kashima with remote and less than 10 rides on them. Not a bad price for what you get, just wish mine came with a fox 34 to start with seeing as how it needs one lol.

The pike has a small offset and the fox 36 is a real big fork for a trail bike. That leaves you with x fusion which gets mediocre reviews for being bendy, manitou mattoc and maybe the marzocchi 350. I'm actually seriously curious if i can find a marzocchi dealer in north america because the 2015 ncr350 looks like a hell of a fork.

One big thing i would like to see in what i buy is SKF seals. My 32 sticks like crazy, and the skf ones seem to be the best thing going.