mtbr member
    Mar 2014

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 2

Hey everyone,

Does anyone own one of these bikes? I ordered one without trying one out and I want to get some info and feedback on it.

Also, for sizing in this trance line, I'm 6'2" and about 34" inseam. Would this be a large or XL frame?

How is the fork on it?

Thanks all
    Dave

Your Best Friend
    As far as sizing, I'm also 6'2" and a 34 inch inseam. I ride XL XC bikes and large all mountain. I just feel better on a slightly smaller bike when the terrain gets steep.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by davemsc View Post
    Hey everyone,

Does anyone own one of these bikes? I ordered one without trying one out and I want to get some info and feedback on it.

Also, for sizing in this trance line, I'm 6'2" and about 34" inseam. Would this be a large or XL frame?

How is the fork on it?

Thanks all
    Dave
    I don't have the 27.5 2 but the 27.5 1, i don't think you will be disappointed. I took all the major players bikes out before deciding on the Trance, all the others were way too heavy and for where I ride the Trance fitted the bill perfectly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks for the replies.

Im just hoping the 2 will be ok with the fox ctd fork and shock as well with the weaker brakes.

People are really not liking these oem fox evolution ctd forks.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for the replies.

Im just hoping the 2 will be ok with the fox ctd fork and shock as well with the weaker brakes.

People are really not liking these oem fox evolution ctd forks.
    The hardcore people may not like it but I like mine. What I do like about the 27.5 1 was the Talas Fox CTD fork, I like that feature and use it regularly..

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Hey..

The talas is a much better fork though...the evo is the one everyone is complaining about and was the one with the recall.

What kind of riding do you do?
    I just wanted an upgrade from an older hardtail that would be a little easier on the joints - I just turned 40 lol.

I dont really do big jumps or dh but do like technical stuff

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hey..

The talas is a much better fork though...the evo is the one everyone is complaining about and was the one with the recall.

What kind of riding do you do?
    I just wanted an upgrade from an older hardtail that would be a little easier on the joints - I just turned 40 lol.

I dont really do big jumps or dh but do like technical stuff
    I do mainly single track riding and the occasional Bike Park. Like you I dont get big air or anything, I may get do smaller jumps and bunny hops over trees but thats it.

I love technical so again another plus for the 27.5 1 was the dropper post..

Kaj
    mtbr member
    6'2" 34 inseam, and definitely ride a XL. My saddle height is 82.8cm, which puts the saddle too high above the bars on the large. Not all folks my height have that same saddle height, so there will be some who are ok on the large.

I do ride a 70mm stem though to keep the length good.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaj View Post
    6'2" 34 inseam, and definitely ride a XL. My saddle height is 82.8cm, which puts the saddle too high above the bars on the large. Not all folks my height have that same saddle height, so there will be some who are ok on the large.

I do ride a 70mm stem though to keep the length good.
    I was at my lbs the other day and I got on a large and they thought it fit well. I just have no experience what my riding position should be on this type of bike (my old bike is an 11 year old xc hardtail)

They are saying large. but some just on my specs (like you) say xl....

D'oh!

Kaj
    mtbr member
    I didn't say you would be a XL, I said I'm your same height and I would ride an XL. Based on percentages of people I fit who are 6'2" I would say 80% would be XL, 20% would be L.

You need to have a good fitter look at you and make sure you get your saddle height set exactly right.

I find in my experience bike shop employees are often 5'9" (odd, but true), and many make mistakes with taller folks. I think they look at the XL bike and think it looks big.
    this is not 100% true of course, but I've seen it enough to give you caution.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I didn't say you would be a XL, I said I'm your same height and I would ride an XL. Based on percentages of people I fit who are 6'2" I would say 80% would be XL, 20% would be L.

You need to have a good fitter look at you and make sure you get your saddle height set exactly right.

I find in my experience bike shop employees are often 5'9" (odd, but true), and many make mistakes with taller folks. I think they look at the XL bike and think it looks big.
    this is not 100% true of course, but I've seen it enough to give you caution.
    Cool man..thanks for the heads up. So is it mainly based on saddle height? (if the saddle height is almost maxed on the L I will need an XL)?

What about reach? The LBS said you want a 90 degree angle of your arms with your torso when grabbing the handlebars. True?

mtbr member
    I'm 6' and and I ride a Large, I could ride a med, I'm kind of in between a med and a Large. I would think an XL for 6'2 would be pretty big, especially if you ride techy stuff. I agree on the Fox evo CTD, I hated the one on my 13 Stumpjumper FSR. It was harsh and the ctd didn't seem to do a whole lot really, but it looked cool. I only have the Trance 3 with the RS Sektor, and I like that much better than the Fox evo. I can't wait to upgrade to a pike next year. I think with an XL trance you're going to be really high in the air going down the rough stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Yeah, I was really having a hard time deciding which size to get. The L felt a bit cramped even with a long stem on it. The XL felt better that way but I'm really afraid of it being too tough in technical stuff. I even tried a shorter stem on the XL and it still felt more comfortable than the large with the longer stem, so I ended up with that setup.

For god's sake I just bought it tonight and am unsure of my decision....sigh.

It doesn't help that all that I am used to riding is a smaller XC 10 yr old Kona so I am clueless on how this should feel.

I guess we'll see!

Kaj
    mtbr member
    What about reach? The LBS said you want a 90 degree angle of your arms with your torso when grabbing the handlebars. True?
    That's the reach for a road bike. MTB's should be between 75 degrees (freeride) and 85 degrees race position. If they said 90 degrees for an MTB, they are going to sell you too small bike with a 110mm stem. No fun. If you want an easy answer just get the XL, you'll be cool. The wheelbase is not too long and at 6'2" you can't make a mistake getting the XL

mtbr member
    Can anyone comment on the availability of the 2014 Trance 27.5 2 in the United States? For whatever reason the Giant website does not have a page for it on their US site, despite having the 1 and 3. The 2 is only able to be viewed on the international sites. I think this could be the perfect bike for me as the 3 doesn't quite have the components I'm looking for and the 1 is a bit outside my price range. If I could get a 2014 27.5 2 in the US I'd be pretty happy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 2

Drive over to canada... Not currently avail in US

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    That's the reach for a road bike. MTB's should be between 75 degrees (freeride) and 85 degrees race position. If they said 90 degrees for an MTB, they are going to sell you too small bike with a 110mm stem. No fun. If you want an easy answer just get the XL, you'll be cool. The wheelbase is not too long and at 6'2" you can't make a mistake getting the XL
    Thanks for the reply Kaj. Maybe a stupid question but on this type of bike, is there anything I should be on the lookout for that are signs that maybe the bike IS too big for me?

It's just such a tough call as I don't know how I should feel on this type of bike. As well, everyone says you can make a small bike bigger, but not the opposite...and me putting a shorter stem on an XL makes me think I am doing that already

This new XL trance 2 is a good 6 inches longer than my 19" Kona - it already feels like a tank (but again, maybe that is how this should feel like compared to a XC bike).

Hopefully it will still be somewhat nimble in the tight stuff..fingers crossed!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Im in Canada and have the trance 2 as well.

Im 5 10.5" and I have the large....It fits me really really well.

Id advise against going longer than 70mm on the stem...no matter what size frame you're getting...that'll help towards being nimble.

I haven't had any problems either so have fun with it!

Thanks for the reply Kaj. Maybe a stupid question but on this type of bike, is there anything I should be on the lookout for that are signs that maybe the bike IS too big for me?

It's just such a tough call as I don't know how I should feel on this type of bike. As well, everyone says you can make a small bike bigger, but not the opposite...and me putting a shorter stem on an XL makes me think I am doing that already

This new XL trance 2 is a good 6 inches longer than my 19" Kona - it already feels like a tank (but again, maybe that is how this should feel like compared to a XC bike).

Hopefully it will still be somewhat nimble in the tight stuff..fingers crossed!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Still getting to know my new Trance 2.

As I got the XL, if I feel that I am too high on the bike for technical stuff and am having trouble getting the weight over the back of the bike due to the seat, what would the harm be of taking out the spacers on the stem? That way I am more IN the bike and can lower the seat a bit as well for the technical stuff to keep things the same.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    You need a dropper seat post!!!
    If you continue to ride with the seat too low it will be very hard on the knees.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    But that wouldn't help with the fact I just feel like everything is a bit too high on the bike - including the handlebars....If I take out some spacers that drops me down a bit, but that would also increase the reach right?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Just try it and see how it feels.

maybe post a pic of what you look like on the bike or just your setup.

Be careful of losing those spacers as they only fit your bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 2

How could he loose the spacers? He removes them from bottom but has to reinstall on top.

mtbr member

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 2

just a tip for sizing... pay attention to your knees and the fork crown, when you stand up and ride. i should ride large SC bikes (im 5'11") and i road a med Heckler, and smacked my knee on the fork crown (omg that hurt!!). SC was right. larges fit me perfect
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert