mtbr member
    Dec 2013

2014 Anthem x29 3 upgrade question

I recently bought the new Anthem x 29er 3 and I'm in the process of upgrading the drivetrain to a 2x10 system.

So far I have the following items
    XO cranks, front and rear derailleur, shifters, cassette, chain and BB

Am I missing anything?

Are there others upgrades that should be done to this bike?

Thanks

Your Best Friend
    Wheels. Always wheels. That should have been the first thing. Go for those next. Then I'd add a carbon bar and seat post.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Wheels. Always wheels. That should have been the first thing. Go for those next. Then I'd add a carbon bar and seat post.
    I agree, wheels make a big difference. As a winter bike I have been running AX29er 1 2013 with the following upgrades

XT shadow+ rear derailleur
    Crest-wheels (last season training wheels)
    Flat Handlebar with ESI Grips
    XT-crankset with Rotor Q-ring to get 175mm cranks

And the biggest difference has been to use my training wheels from last years race season.
    That and clutch technology for the rear derailleur.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Carbon bars are already on, Easton Haven stem I have the new XO type. 2 which has the clutch system. So I guess wheels are next any suggestions? I see the Stans Arch Ex are very popular. We do all xc not to much down hill as we are in sw florida. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfondell View Post
    Carbon bars are already on, Easton Haven stem I have the new XO type. 2 which has the clutch system. So I guess wheels are next any suggestions? I see the Stans Arch Ex are very popular. We do all xc not to much down hill as we are in sw florida. Thanks
    Then I think Crest will be a good option, light and strong enough even for aggressive riding if your typical riding is not DH.

Your Best Friend
    Crest would be ok but only if you are less than about 180lbs. For strength and peace of mind, I'd stick with the Arch EX. You can also look at the offerings from American Classic. They make excellent wheels and they work just as well if not better than Stans set up tubeless.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I think this is where I'm going to go as far as wheels.

Hope Pro 2 EVO disc hubs, 36h, black.
    Stans Flow EX rims, 36h, black.
    DT Swiss Competition butted spokes, black.
    DT Swiss Prolock alloy nips, black.

What do you guys think?

***I'll use four white spokes, two on each side of the valve, along with blue nipples on these white spokes. Very unique look.

mtbr member
    Re-read your post and edited mine for accuracy...

That is the same build I have on my TX29 except i used Arch EX rims instead of Flows to save a little weight at the expense of strength. I've had them for over a year (about 1000 miles) and they've seen some pretty rough stuff at Pisgah, NC and Killington, VT with no problems. I've been impressed with them so far; they haven't even been on a truing stand yet.
    Last edited by bikensand; 03-13-2014 at 05:35 AM.

Your Best Friend
    That is a burly all mountain wheelset you have planned. There is no way the rest of the bike will handle what those wheels are meant for. Unless you weigh 300lbs. I'd take the build down a few notches.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I just ordered an easton Carbon seat post and SunRingle charger pro sl wheels. I am going to run Racing Ralph Kevlar tires tubeless. I went with the Sunringle rims based on the fact they are basically the same as the Stans Flows and the hubs have all the different adapters. Now onto shocks, would a rear shock upgrade from the Rockshox Monarch R to the Rockshox Monarch XX or the RT3 be a noticeable upgrade? and what Rockshox front fork to upgrade to?

In another thread it was suggested to go SID XX and the Monarch XX?

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    You're going to ask 1,000 people and get 1,000 different answers, but here's mine:
    I have the Monarch RT3 and SID RCT3 fork on my AX29. I never use any of the lockout or propedal features on either. I have dialed the low speed comp a bit, just to try to offset the brake dive. That being the case, if it were me, I'd upgrade the fork to the RCT3 and leave the shock alone. For me, the suspension design is efficient enough to just run "open" without feeling like it's dragging me down on the climbs. If you prefer a stiffer feel or would use a lockout, by all means upgrade to a higher end shock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thats the kind of advice I appreciate, I don't think the rear shock would make that much difference. I will do some research on the RCT3 and see who has the best prices.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfondell View Post
    I just ordered an easton Carbon seat post and SunRingle charger pro sl wheels.
    Where'd you find the Charger Pro SL's? Pricepoint?

I have them in 650b and love them. Fast, light, stiff. The SL comes with the 48T rear free hub, which sounds wicked! Not a Hope/Traditional Sun Ringle' clack clack clack... More of a Chris King ZZZZZZZ....

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Awesome! I did get them from Price Point. They are on sale for 599.99 so after much thought and scouring the net I think this was the best choice for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    What size head tube do I need to look for? I always thought a standard tapered would work? LBS is saying no? and ideas?

mtbr member
    You can use a standard 1 1/2-1 1/8 tapered steerer, but you have to buy a new top half to your headset and a new stem. The stock steerer tube is Giant's stupid proprietary 1 1/2-1 1/4 taper, so the bearings and stem clamp are sized as such. Sorry, I don't know which headset you need because my LBS ordered it. I know the brand is Cane Creek

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I think that is for the Overdrive 2 system which my bike does not have. I swapped my stem from my Trek to the Giant and it fit no issues. I guess I will just have to remove the fork and measure before I order a new fork. Its confusing I love the bike but I hate when manufactures stray from the norm. Big reason why I got away from Trek and their G2 stuff.