mtbr member

2014 Anthem 27.5 shock question, size, etc.

OK, so the Anthem 3 has a Monarch R, working fine, but I wanted to find out if I come across a deal on a nicer model shock I could upgrade it. The only problem is I can't find what size would be appropriate for the bike, nothing on Giant's site, the dealer doesn't seem to know, and Push didn't have it either.

Further more, the dealer said that due to the amount of travel and other factors that an off the shelf shock in the right "size" may not work and that I should buy the shock from Giant, he recommended the Fox CTD that comes with the frameset. The complete bike comes with Monarch R but the aluminum frame only option comes with the '14 CTD.

Does anyone know the right size and is it true that I can't just buy one online and use it, the Maestro requires special valving?

Does anyone have the shock off the higher models or frameset they want to sell?
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Just an FYI, for anyone else looking for this info, I heard from a Fox tech that looked up the specific bike for me he said its a 6.5 x 1.5 shock, was very helpful.

Would love to hear of anyone else that may have upgraded the shocks on their Anthem for input on recommendations.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes, the shock size is 6.5"x1.5"
    That's 6.5 from eyelet to eyelet and 1.5" of shock shaft travel.
    I ordered a refurbished push industries shock that is custome valved for 200.
    It should arrive this Friday, I will let you know how it works.
    For me the stock monarch is too stiff.
    You can revalve the monarch yourself, but for 200 I thought I might as well go for a push shock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I posted on this in the 650 forum but here is more detail.
    I just rode the pushed fox rp23 this morning and it's well worth the money.
    It soaked up the small stuff much better, but does not blow through the mid stroke. It is slightly more active (pedal bob) then stock setup but only by a small margin. The best way to describe the upgrade is it feels more controlled through the rough stuff and it soaked up the small stuff better, but still not as soft as my old Horst bike. The flip side is the Horst bike had a ton of pedal bob!