Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

2013 Trance-X 29er 2 officially broken my Maestro Link twice

Hello all,

I'd be interested to know if anyone out there has had a similar problem with the Maestro link on the 2013 Trance-X 29er? I brought mine back in March. It is an X-Large and I weigh in around 215 lbs. I snapped the lower link on the left hand side near the crank which riding in VT back in June. I got a warrantee replacement and then snapped that one in early August. I am on my third link and want to know if this is going to be a pattern and if others have had this issue? I know the 2010 Reign had this problem, but any others Maestro systems that you know about?

Thanks. Matt.

mtbr member
    250lbs on my Anthem X29. Broke the frame just before the weld on the top tube, but the suspension pieces have been fine on the original frame and my warranty replacement frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm 250lbs and ride an XL Trance X29-1. Broke my left side lower linkage too about 6 weeks back. Took giant 4 weeks to get the part? Fixed under warranty. Mine broke while the shock was in climb mode and I dropped off a 8inch sidewalk? Clean crack when I hit the road. I've had the bike since Oct 2012 and no other issues. I've rider 4 enduro's and rode some rough trails over the past 11months. I suspected it broke because I dropped the 8" in climb mode and the shock didn't cycle to absorb the impact? But sounds like im not the only one. Giant mechanic said he'd never seen one broken in 5 years

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Broke mine today. 2012 Anthem 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Geez, I am sorry to see this thread. 2013 TranceX 29. Bought in March. Under 200 lbs. So far, so good.

Terry

mtbr member
    i took the bearings out of mine recently and replaced them with Enduro Max bearings. The rear end is much smoother and more active now, in fact i thought my rear shock lost some air pressure bc it was moving through the travel so much easier after the upgrade.
    The original bearings were crap and barely rolled back and forth, they were very sticky and notchy. I suspect this is a reason the linkages could be breaking, bc it is putting additional pressure and friction on the linkage itself instead of allowing it move freely and smoothly. I'd recommend to anyone with a Trance to check the bearings to see if they roll smoothly, my bet is that those who are having breaking issues are also having bearing issues.
    "You can become a very fast donkey, but you'll never be a thoroughbred..."

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    We've sold 5-10 Trance X 29ers in the last year, and one of the owners has owned two (he'll sell them to interested people). The only issue we've had is an Anthem cracked the shock mount. No issues at all with the Trace's yet. I will try to inspect the bearing though. Never felt any that weren't smooth but not something I've been worried about either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by homey View Post
    i took the bearings out of mine recently and replaced them with Enduro Max bearings. The rear end is much smoother and more active now, in fact i thought my rear shock lost some air pressure bc it was moving through the travel so much easier after the upgrade.
    The original bearings were crap and barely rolled back and forth, they were very sticky and notchy. I suspect this is a reason the linkages could be breaking, bc it is putting additional pressure and friction on the linkage itself instead of allowing it move freely and smoothly. I'd recommend to anyone with a Trance to check the bearings to see if they roll smoothly, my bet is that those who are having breaking issues are also having bearing issues.
    you got a link for em homey?

had my trance x 2 for about 4 months now, i don't get out as much as id like to beat the hell out of it but no problems yet @260lbs

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Had mine for about (2, XL) 6 months, no issues. I ride at about 160lbs.

mtbr member
    You can pick them up at your lbs, randeez.

Here's the link to the manuacter...

enduro
    "You can become a very fast donkey, but you'll never be a thoroughbred..."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazclrint View Post
    We've sold 5-10 Trance X 29ers in the last year, and one of the owners has owned two (he'll sell them to interested people). The only issue we've had is an Anthem cracked the shock mount. No issues at all with the Trace's yet. I will try to inspect the bearing though. Never felt any that weren't smooth but not something I've been worried about either.
    Hold up. Who has two, what size? You've been holding out on me!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Nope, Mark had the one Trance 29er 1, sold it, then got the Anthem 1, sold it, then rode the Anthem 4 fo a bit, and now has the Trance 0. But I think you'll pry that one from his cold dead hands.

mtbr member
    Lol, Mark doesn't count man. Now you're just yanking my chain!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Maestro parts are covered for a year. Only the frame is covered for life. I have the 2013 trance 29er 2 (medium). Within a year I blew the rear monarch shock twice and most recently the maestro link. I weigh in at 175 pounds and I hit small jumps and drops, nothing as crazy as the promo videos. There are many on the trails who ride a lot hard than me. Maybe the 29er wheels make the bike too big for serious trail riding or maybe I've got a lemon. Either way I have 2 months left on my year warranty, then I may be considering other bike options.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    29tx 1. 2013 broke lower link couple months ago warrantied it but charged me to install it now after seeing cracked frame pics I've noticed crack undertop tube at seat tube looks like it'll be goin in shop again hope dosent cost me a lot of labor to change frame

mtbr platinum member
    The stock 2014 Fox float rear shock really seems to blow through its travel and the travel indicator o-ring is almost always right at the bottom. I am going to swap out the stock air volume reducer with the largest to see if that helps. I am sure that the frequent bottoming doesn't help the broken link or frame situation. I will report back on the air volume reducer and if that eliminates the issue.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerx40 View Post
    ... I will report back on the air volume reducer and if that eliminates the issue.
    Why wouldn't you just add more pressure to the shock? Googling, sounds like an air volume reducer can widen the range of a shock. Are you outside of its range? I'd never heard of one, so just asking.

mtbr platinum member
    Quote Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
    Why wouldn't you just add more pressure to the shock? Googling, sounds like an air volume reducer can widen the range of a shock. Are you outside of its range? I'd never heard of one, so just asking.
    I have added pressure so I only have 20% sag but still blow through the travel. I weigh 165 pounds. The shock comes from the factory with the medium size air volume reducer, so I'm hoping that the largest volume reducer will allow me to drop my pressure back down to 25-30% sag and not push the o-ring down to the bottom as frequently.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

mtbr member
    I'm at about 200lbs geared up. I was going through the travel too quickly and after tuning it, I never go further than 90% of the travel. However, I'm new to mtb and am generally a slow rider, so am not doing anything too hard, just having fun. And I've not ridden enough bikes to really know what to expect.

I'm trying to remember if I used this reference guide from Fox or something from Giant ... but instead of just doing the "sit on it and check the sag" method, I tried using suggested pressures.

In any case, hope you find something that works well for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Third time's a charm?

Quote Originally Posted by MattC603 View Post
    Hello all,

I'd be interested to know if anyone out there has had a similar problem with the Maestro link on the 2013 Trance-X 29er? I brought mine back in March. It is an X-Large and I weigh in around 215 lbs. I snapped the lower link on the left hand side near the crank which riding in VT back in June. I got a warrantee replacement and then snapped that one in early August. I am on my third link and want to know if this is going to be a pattern and if others have had this issue? I know the 2010 Reign had this problem, but any others Maestro systems that you know about?

Thanks. Matt.

Make that three times. Same place. Need a different bike.

mtbr member
    That's just strange man. I see so many people riding these things without problems around here. How much do you jump or hit drops? what are you usually doing when the link breaks?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    That's just strange man. I see so many people riding these things without problems around here. How much do you jump or hit drops? what are you usually doing when the link breaks?
    Biggest drop typically around 6 inches onto dirt. The shock is running at 20% SAG and yesterday I was simply spinning around some flowy singletrack due to knee issues I am having. In the past I was hammering pretty hard when it broke, torquing the bike around. Yesterday I was trying as hard as I could not to torque at all.

I just breaks. I average about 2 months (this last one lastest 1.5 months of riding). I hope to get an extra linkage as a good luck charm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Do any of you guys who have had breakages check the tightness of the link bolts/nuts regularly? When I received my Trance X 0 I had to tighten all the linkages.

I assume if the links are loose it may cause strain on the links in directions they are not designed for. Just a thought.

mtbr member
    I haven't had any issues with breakage, yet. But I do check the tightness of the bolts/nuts. Last summer I was experiencing a strange ticking sound every time I'd peddle. After days of frustration trying to find the source of the noise, I found one of the bolts had loosened.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattC603 View Post
    Biggest drop typically around 6 inches onto dirt. The shock is running at 20% SAG and yesterday I was simply spinning around some flowy singletrack due to knee issues I am having. In the past I was hammering pretty hard when it broke, torquing the bike around. Yesterday I was trying as hard as I could not to torque at all.

I just breaks. I average about 2 months (this last one lastest 1.5 months of riding). I hope to get an extra linkage as a good luck charm.
    Man, that's just strange. Earlier in the thread, jazclrint mentioned an anthem with a broken lower shock mount - that was my frame, and I really don't get that breakage either, I pretty studiously ride within the design limits of the anthem frame - read, I don't jump it and crap. But the Trance should take quite a bit - in fact a Giant warranty rep was specifically asked what frame they would warranty without hesitation if they were told it broke when it was ridden off a 4 foot drop, and they said they'd warranty a Trance for that.

I'm in no way doubting what you're telling me, I'm just thinking there has to be something going on here we haven't thought of yet causing that linkage to break. Are all of the pivot points straight/in alignment? Have they replaced all of the linkages (both of them?) when they do the replacement? I'm wondering if one of the linkages may be the wrong length or something may be off just enough to put things in a bind and cause that breakage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast