mtbr member
    May 2008

2013 Trance rattle trap

WARNING! This bike has some great attributes. Today was my first ride on some off road trails and I have to tell you the performance was great except for this thing rattles like an old huffy going down hills. The cables rattle something fierce to the point I might be selling it and getting something else unless there's a fix. Does this happen to anybody else? Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'm on a 29er x2 with no issues. Even have the dropper post added and haven't noticed anything.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Sounds like a build problem. Cables and brake lines too long or improperly installed/routed are something the shop should fix for you. Set up properly,the bike should be quiet.

mtbr platinum member
    I had this on mine too when I received it from the shop. Cables are not too long and routed properly. I used some pipe insulating tape and wrapped the cables where they enter the frame so that the cables are secure at the entry point and then pulled the housings taught at the exit point and wrapped the housing with more pipe insulating tape there. The idea is that the housings are taught inside the frame and not flopping around inside. This prevented about 80% of the rattle on my bike.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I did stuff a part of an old t-shirt in the downtube of my XTC Advanced SL 29er, no rattle at all. Like @bikerx40 says, if you cut the cable to the proper lenght it should als reduce the rattle almost to zero.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I had the same problem with my X0. I went through a similar exercise to bikerx40 but with electrical tape and it has basically gone away now. Additionally I cable tied the cables that go into the LH side of top tube together and this also helped. I also had seat post creaking and the fork crown creaking, under some circumstances these also sounded like cable rattle.

Your Best Friend
    If you put a small zip tie around your internally routed cable and slip it inside the frame (un cut) it will keep the cable from rattling and is a really light weight fix.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Another thing to think about is it seems the bikes come set up with the shadow rear der clutch turned "off" causing the usual chain slap. I turned mine on and have a fairly quiet ride even with the internal cables rattling a bit. Just took my HT out for a ride today and missed everything about my Trance almost immediately. I'm starting to question my need to keep my HT, I hardly ride it and all it does is make the Trance feel better!