Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Reign X

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by edgar_rua View Post
    2013 bikes (almost all) will be more expensive than last year so some brands are downgrading their components to mantain the price to a point.
    Why do you suppose 2013's will be more expensive?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbone ll View Post
    Why do you suppose 2013's will be more expensive?
    It's getting more and more expensive to build in China. Companies can either eat the increases they have to pay or pass them along to their customers. Bike companies can't really afford to shrink their margins which are tight to begin with. That's why the prices go up and the level of components seem to go down every year.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It's getting more and more expensive to build in China. Companies can either eat the increases they have to pay or pass them along to their customers. Bike companies can't really afford to shrink their margins which are tight to begin with. That's why the prices go up and the level of components seem to go down every year.
    Aren't these bikes made in Taiwan?
    I was always under the impression that prices stayed the same (roughly of course) yet the specs improved every few years as the high end (newer) technology trickled down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    the reign X frame set is cool. I want one

Quote Originally Posted by flowrob View Post
    not to bad...

mtbr member
    so what is the word on a carbon reign. I thought that was pretty much a done deal?

Show me a carbon Reign with 142x12 and 650b compatibility in non naff colors please

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Smile

Reign X0 no change frame
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Reign X-img_29399.jpg  

mtbr member
    where do these pictures keep surfacing from? There hasn't been a North America launch as far as I have heard or can find.

I have it from a decent source that carbon is on the way and I thought it was expected that the Reign X and Reign 0 were to kinda merge?

Giant To Offer Carbon Anthem X 29er And Reign - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Those changes in your link are just expectation/wish from the writer.
    From what we have seen so far, everything looks like the same except the graphic.

There are still reign and reign x models

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    With regards to the Reign posted on page 1 spec looks quite good but there are a few massive issues for me. Firstly that looks like an OD2 steerer/stem, means I can't get a 50 or 60mm stem. Secondly, the reign was screaming out for a fox 34. 150mm 32's are just not up to it unless you are a super lightweight. Thirdly, looks like a 2 ring crank, whick means I can't set it up 1 by without buying a new crank, Arrrrggggghhhhh.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    If that is all they have in this category, they blew it. I'm a Reign X cult follower at this point, but new graphics and component spec doesn't even qualify as an update IMHO. R&D must be too busy working on silly 650B bikes or carbon 29er's. Sad, because back in 2007 they were cutting edge with the original RX geo and travel combination

Hell, they could have at least fixed the cable routing so it doesn't go down the front of the downtube. I find it hilarious that almost all their pros use some form of jury rigged cable routing to protect the cable and brake line.

mtbr member
    see that is the problem, I don't think Giant is working on fancy 650b or carbon 29ers. They had the chance with the new Trance 29er but they decided to come out with it in aluminum. They play it safe. Lets test the waters with the trance 29er in aluminum and then if the demand is there we will make a carbon one next year.

Drives me crazy. You have companies like Intense coming out with a 650b carbon and aluminum at the same time, Santa Cruz comes out with the Tallboy LT and LTC at the same time, and yet Giant is slow slow slow to bring changes around.

I am still holding out hope that there is a carbon Reign coming out otherwise.....

May contain nuts
    Carbon schmarbon - I'll take the 100g and the $1000+ price diff everytime

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Floor Tom View Post
    With regards to the Reign posted on page 1 spec looks quite good but there are a few massive issues for me. Firstly that looks like an OD2 steerer/stem, means I can't get a 50 or 60mm stem. Secondly, the reign was screaming out for a fox 34. 150mm 32's are just not up to it unless you are a super lightweight. Thirdly, looks like a 2 ring crank, whick means I can't set it up 1 by without buying a new crank, Arrrrggggghhhhh.
    Can't you just take the two rings off, get a 1x specific ring and bolt up a chain guide? That's what I did with my 08. And I'm pretty sure you can get whatever stem you want.

As for the stem, it sucks you don't have a choice but to buy from Giant. But they do make one.

Contact FR OD2 Stems (Stems) - Bike Gear | Giant Bicycles | United States

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    With a 2 ring crank? They have a different BCD I thought, and your single ring wouldn't be sitting in the middle so would not give you a great chainline. Also, I'm in NZ, I don't think they bring the OD2 FR stem in

mtbr member

170mm forks?

Would be interesting to know if the 2013 ReignX will come with 170mm forks (can't figure that out on the pics). The black ReignX 2 looks pretty awesome and is top of my "want-to-have-list". The only annoying thing ist that Giant still holds on to this silly OverDrive2 steerer tubes. If you want to change the fork you'll have a hard time to sell them for a proper price (if you can sell them at all).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Correct me if I am wrong
    The overdrive 2 is the same as a normal taper head tube. If you sell your fork together with the headset, they can be installed on most bike

mtbr member
    Yes, OverDrive2 has a normal ZS44/ZS56 headtube. So in combination with the headset the fork will fit in every frame with a tapered headtube. BUT you have to sell the headset and the stem with the fork. And not everyone likes to be fixed on a specific headset and a giant factory stem. So I guess the number of potential buyers will be very small or you have to sell the fork for a very low price.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    so do we have a conlcusion on whether or not the 2013 reign x comes with a threaded bb?

ive gone through 2 bb on my 08 reign x and its much easier to change than a pressed one id imagine. fingers crossed, please be threaded...

mtbr member
    May 2011

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by cscsw View Post
    Same as last year.

But I've been told by my rep. that the Reign will be going to a threaded BB with ISCG this year...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

2010 Glory custom FR
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy View Post

But I've been told by my rep. that the Reign will be going to a threaded BB with ISCG this year...
    It will
    pozdro
    frango

Quiet Professional
    Called my local dealer and he says he cant get the reign x2. I was really looking forward to it with the coil over but said he can do the x1 for 3k.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Can you tell me exactly the dropout std for Reign X?

I'm expecting 142x12mm, since I got cheap M1800 days ago, otherwise I should re-sell the wheels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kambing.jantan View Post
    Can you tell me exactly the dropout std for Reign X?

I'm expecting 142x12mm, since I got cheap M1800 days ago, otherwise I should re-sell the wheels.
    12x135mm on the 2012 and i cant imagine they would have changed it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Anyone knows when RX will be available?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast