mtbr member
    Oct 2011

2013 Reign 1 vs 2 - suspension package

I want the Reign 2 frame, but not sure whether to bargin with my LBS to get the Fox package or just keep the Rockshox package.

Reign 1: 150mm 32 Talas CTD with Float CTD
    Reign 2: 150mm Revelation Dual Air RL with Monach R High Volume

I'm leaning towards the Rockshox package for the following reasons:
    1. I don't believe maestro suspension needs the C or T on a Reign ( riden my Anthem x2 with a Float R (factory set pro pedal) for 4yrs), So shock would be on D 95% time anyway.

2. I would most likely ride the fork on D 95% time as well, I only ever use the lock on my Reba RTL for the commute to the forrest, so once again don't think I need CTD.

3. Serviceability of Rockshox (so i gather from these forums).

Anybody got a different opinion and want to talk me into getting the Fox package? Is the feel better? More Plush?

In 10yrs of Mtb, I have never owned a bike with a fox fork so have I no idea how they compare long term to Rockshox or Manitou.

I don't care about the rest of the spec....I will most likely end up chopping out nearly everything on either bike at some point, so SLX over X5/X7 is not a really deal maker for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    On my X1 I never use the pro pedal on the DHX air and I don't feel the reign really needs a pedaling platform with the maestro either as pedal bob is pretty minimal. As for service of fox vs rockshox, I have bikes with both and find them to be about the same to service with a slight edge to my fox float 36. It's really simple to service. If you were to do any suspension upgrades the fox kit would probably have a higher resale value. Rockshox without doubt has better customer service. I've dealt with both and fox has always been a pain in my rear. My other bike has a revelation and I think the dual air is very tunable were with the fox you are stuck to the ctd settings. If I were in your position I think I'd test them both but lean towards the rockshox.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluman8 View Post
    :
    1. I don't believe maestro suspension needs the C or T on a Reign ( riden my Anthem x2 with a Float R (factory set pro pedal) for 4yrs), So shock would be on D 95% time anyway.
    I have a few hundred miles on my 2013 Reign 2 and would concur with your statement. If I'm on dirt, the platform on my monarch is always off. The only time I turn it on is when I need to pound pavement..

I couldn't be happier with the maestro/monarch combo. Simple, and never felt like I needed another setting. To be fair - I've never owned a fox fork or shock.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Your Best Friend
    I just spent a few minutes looking at the two side by side. The 1 is definitely worth the upgrade. SLX components with a shadow plus RD. Nice working brakes and an MRP chain guide. The hubs are the same but the rims are beefier on the 1. I'm not a huge fan of Fox on the Maestro platform or the CTD for that matter. However, they work really well on the Reign and I think it shows off the CTD capabilities nicely. I'd go for the 1 if possible.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I will add that the X5 shifters on the R2 are pure crap. Since the cables have begun to stretch, I can't get it to go smoothly between 1/2 or 9/10. Lots of fiddling in the rear has only produced frustration. Honestly, I blame the shifters, but it may be that x7 derailleur on a 10 speed doesn't work as well as the X7 on the 9 speed... I am planning on moving to x9 sooner than later regardless...

I conned the bike shop into throwing the 2x chain guide in for my R2 for free. Its rather noisy if I'm honest... But I can deal with it.

As for brakes on the 2, I fiddled a bit with an initial bleed and am pretty happy with them for what they are (i.e. bottom tier). Plenty of power and modulation for me.

If you have the budget, I'd go with the 1. Unless you really want rockshox, then go with the 2 and plan on throwing some money at it. All in all, I'm super happy with the rockshox package on the 2 thus far. But other areas of the bike have me wanting.

-jm

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks guys, I've put the deposit on the R2. Thanks for the heads up on the shifters htek, that will now be the first thing on the negotiation table with LBS before it leaves the shop.

I have some Pacenti TL28 rims on Superstar Switch EVO hubs in the mail. Already have a MRP G2mini guide on my AX2, so the plan is to do a straight swap of cranks and guide onto the R2.

Just need to decide on Bar/Stem set-up. Will have to put up with the brakes for as long as possible.

While I didn't mind the SLX package and the rapid fire shifters can be used as thumb/thumb shifters like SRAM, unfortunately Shimano lost me in about 2005 when I could have X9 (the top SRAM of the day) for the same price as Deore (not Deore XT, just plain old Deore), now I have too much invested in X9 gear and spare parts etc. to swap back to and maintain SLX. Plus I also prefer the 1:1 of SRAM.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I'd pay *more* for the Rockshox package.

Srsly - the Rev and Monarch blew away the Float & DHX 4 air I currently have on my '10 Reign 2 when I tried them out.

Actually I detested the DHX so much I replaced it with a Van-R coil shock.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    I'd pay *more* for the Rockshox package.

Srsly - the Rev and Monarch blew away the Float & DHX 4 air I currently have on my '10 Reign 2 when I tried them out.

Actually I detested the DHX so much I replaced it with a Van-R coil shock.
    Pretty much.

My Trance-X and Reign-X both pedaled and rode so much better after swapping Fox rear shocks for a Monarch RT3 and a Vivid Air.

Caveat: I've no time on the newer Fox RCD stuff.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper