mtbr member
    Aug 2008

2013 Reign 1 - Looking for aftermarket component ideas / advice, if any at all.

Coming from a 2010 Reign 2 for last season, this year I bought a new '13 Reign 1. So far I have put about 200 miles on it and overall, really like it.

I chose the 1 because of the SLX drivetrain throughout - big fan. I've seen a lot of negativity on the Fox suspension on here, but so far, I'm ok with it (but still getting it dialed in).

For some riding style input: I climb a lot, and with that comes a lot of downhill too. I'm in Northern Utah, which means a boat-load of climbing during nearly every ride (2500 ft is pretty normal).

Right out of the gate I installed my Easton Haven Carbon bars, a (much) lighter saddle, & Conti tires setup tubeless. 29.4 lbs. too.

I was thinking about what I could do / buy for the bike to make it even better. Not really sure and was curious to see what others are doing.

My only thoughts:

1) The CTD remote switch. Cool idea. Right now I do adjust them a lot, just trying to get the feel for the settings. A handlebar-mounted switch is pretty smart.

2) Wheelset? No real idea on this one - the bike already has DT Swiss E540. No idea how they stack up to whatever else.

The bike feels twitchy on downhill, which I think is odd because it is more slack than the 2010 I was riding. Not sure what I can do there to help that issue.

Like I said, just curious to see what most people do to their new Reigns for improvement. Not really convinced I need to do anything...but just checking.

mtbr member
    Hey man, I've got the same bike as you and I think we share the same sentiments about the SLX groupset. For me, I changed the stem to a shorter one (50 mm) and just changed the saddle to improve the aethestics of the bike (hated the stock saddle's appearance).

I was pretty unhappy about the harshness of the fork due to the Talas system but it's gotten better recently. That said, I haven't rode in a month. The adjustable seatpost lever has also "hardened" up, making it difficult to press. I think the problem will go away once I actually sit on the bike.

I might get new handlebars and I will definitely swap back to Nevegals once the Nobby Nics are worn out, I prefer the grip that the Nevegals provide.

Share some pictures of your bike!
    2010 Giant Trance X3
    2013 Giant Reign 1