mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Smile 2013 Giant Trance X 29er 2 weight saving ideas

Ive just picked up a 2013 Trance 29er 2 and I was wondering if anyone had an ideas what would be the best /$ to weight ratio parts to change?

Two things to take in to account before your recommendations...

1) I know the wheels are usually a good bet and strength wise I will probably swap out the wheels for Specialized Roval carbons With no Tubes as I don't know how the originals will perform.

2) Tyres....I will use what I have (nobbly nics) unless I find them unridable in the muddy conditions.....so weight gains with flimsy tyres is not an option at the moment.

I'm aware before anyone mentions there are numerous threads on general weight savings but this is (as far as I know) the only specific thread for the trance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Wheels and Forks are where you will get the most savings

mtbr member
    Wheels/hubs, tubeless, dropper post. I'm going to be getting an X1 soon and I won't even be taking it out of the shop with the d/p.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Heh - the dropper ain't gonna *save* anyone any weight, though.

I still won't leave home without it.

mtbr member
    Swap the DP with a Contact=weight savings.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Aint no dropper post on the Trance 2.....just the way i like it

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Carbon bar, syntace stem, light saddle, 1x10 drivetrain, xt cassette,

Send from Tapatalk via GalaxyTab

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewfuzzy View Post
    Ive just picked up a 2013 Trance 29er 2 and I was wondering if anyone had an ideas what would be the best /$ to weight ratio parts to change?

Two things to take in to account before your recommendations...

1) I know the wheels are usually a good bet and strength wise I will probably swap out the wheels for Specialized Roval carbons With no Tubes as I don't know how the originals will perform.

2) Tyres....I will use what I have (nobbly nics) unless I find them unridable in the muddy conditions.....so weight gains with flimsy tyres is not an option at the moment.

I'm aware before anyone mentions there are numerous threads on general weight savings but this is (as far as I know) the only specific thread for the trance.
    Being a current user, I can tell you I ended up selling the whole thing except frame and shock, but indeed there are some few key points to save weight:

DRIVETRAIN
    1x10 setup - if you set-up the correct chain ring combo, considering your riding style/usual terrain, this is a great deal.

Note: The Trance does have a SRAM PG-1030 casette, weighing in at 398gr. I would sell it as a priority!!

WHEELS
    You know, there is a reason why the wheels are the first thing to consider. As I don't know how carbon wheels perform, I just sticked with a ZTR Flow/DT Revo/Hope Pro 2 Evo set. Never heard good things about Roval rims anyway.

COMPONENTS
    Nothing from stock I would stick with, except stem (if you like the size of course, if not, have your Giant dealer getting you a shorter one).

TIRES
    You WILL save weight with them. However, it is not a good point to start with. Sell them away or throw them away. Skinny as hell, won't last any long.

luck!
    Banshee Paradox V2
    Focus Thunder 650b tuned