Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 136
  1. #1
    Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Reputation: Uncle Cliffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,749

    The 2013 Giant line-up.

    Here's the complete 2013 bike line-up.




    First off, no more carbon 26 inch models? Fail.

    No Reign frame set? Fail.

    No XL Reign X? Fail.



    Thankfully I love my Trance enough to not be bummed... Keep droppin' that ball Giant.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

  2. #2
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    horrific cheap n tacky colour schemes for the Reigns, just shocking two tone crap, they would have been better staying the one colour like this year.
    im not sure who does the graphics for giant but they have no idea...

  3. #3
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,461
    Thanks for posting this. Confirms something I was hoping (2x10 drive lines on most Anthems) and sured up what the specs are for the bike I was looking at.

    For what it's worth, there's been a rumor for months that the Anthem would no longer be available in 26" in '13.

  4. #4
    wheelie king
    Reputation: 661lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    590
    Why would they not do a carbon Trance X? And only 2 Trance X 26 models? Not everyone wants a 29er...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    338
    Hopefully the Euro specs are going to be much better. I'm looking for a regular Anthem X29 0

    I got the following information from a seller in Australia

    The Anthem X 29er 0 is $3499 and has Rock Shox SID 29 RL fork and Rock Shox rear shock, and Sram X9/X0 drivetrain.

    And you also have pictures in another thread here.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: limba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,939
    The Rabobank and cross bikes look good. Everything else? Not so much.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    86
    Change the name from Reign to Lame. That's some good work there Giant!!!!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    114
    Way to go halfway again Giant! I forsee another year of my shop loosing sales to the big T and S brands. 32mm forks on reigns? 32mm forks on trance X 29's? 34mm forks on reign X's? Non kashima coated forks on $5000.00 bikes? No redesign on Anthem X 29 aluminum frames (No standover clearence for yet another year)? No faith? Stupid lack of any color again. It's good to know that Giant does not listen to any of it's dealers on what they want but instead listens to 80 year old bean counters in Taiwan on how to progress a brand.

  9. #9
    Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Reputation: Uncle Cliffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,749
    Quote Originally Posted by murphy87 View Post
    way to go halfway again giant! I forsee another year of my shop loosing sales to the big t and s brands. 32mm forks on reigns? 32mm forks on trance x 29's? 34mm forks on reign x's? Non kashima coated forks on $5000.00 bikes? No redesign on anthem x 29 aluminum frames (no standover clearence for yet another year)? No faith? Stupid lack of any color again. It's good to know that giant does not listen to any of it's dealers on what they want but instead listens to 80 year old bean counters in taiwan on how to progress a brand.
    qft.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cale399's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's L'axeman View Post
    horrific cheap n tacky colour schemes for the Reigns, just shocking two tone crap, they would have been better staying the one colour like this year.
    im not sure who does the graphics for giant but they have no idea...
    totally agree what are they thinking they look like Wally World bikes
    please get with the program a plain solid color would have been way better than this crap!!!

  11. #11
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    Quote Originally Posted by cale399 View Post
    totally agree what are they thinking they look like Wally World bikes
    please get with the program a plain solid color would have been way better than this crap!!!
    Im with you 110%, they really do look cheap n nasty, im so happy ive got a 2012 reign 2, my brother wanted it n i was thinking about selling it to him n upgrading for the new seat post n new tabs but thats not going to happen now, i know its not all about how they look, but im not buying that, without a doubt, giant has the worst cheapest graphic designs in history, the last few years the reigns have looked ok bar last years red reign 1, that was a shocker, but they have hit an all time low with this years models, wally world or k mart is the right word......

  12. #12
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    The only decent looking bike out of the whole MTB range is the trance x, ive just had another look and i am at a total loss for words as to explain how toy n cheap they look , at least they ride well n i suppose thats what counts, if they didnt ride well you wouldnt be able to sell em for scrap, they would refuse to take it because it looked so ugly n cheap..

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    208
    I like the XTC 2 and the Trance X 29er look nice. That Tance X 29 0 is a sweet looking bike.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PeytonP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    351
    No faith!? That freaks me out...

    I'm also with everyone on the colors. I liked a few of the paint jobs from last year when others didn't, but all of these, except the Glory, look awful. No wonder my LBS has all but stopped ordering new Giant mtn bikes.

    Just way more insentive to take care of the bike I have.

    Again... No Faith? Lame.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: d365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,779
    I don't get the fashion aspect of looking at bikes. I could give 2 s**ts, what the color scheme and graphics look like. It will be covered in dirt soon enough. I must be weird like that.

    Why is there a Trance X1 and 3, but no 2?

    Can't wait to try out the Tx 29er 0... I wonder what it will weigh in at???

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    15
    Negative Nelly's! The Reign line up all look a lot better than that blue/orange and red paint they had last year
    Last edited by MercerClub; 08-10-2012 at 07:14 AM.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    70
    I really like the trance X1. I am really looking forward to getting that bike.

  18. #18
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    I don't get the fashion aspect of looking at bikes. I could give 2 s**ts, what the color scheme and graphics look like. It will be covered in dirt soon enough. I must be weird like that.

    Why is there a Trance X1 and 3, but no 2?

    Can't wait to try out the Tx 29er 0... I wonder what it will weigh in at???
    I happen to like a slick looking ride, i totally understand some dont care, but i like a ride that when i look at it it screams out to me to get on it n carve it up, i agree the way it rides is way more important, but us humans are visual creatures, i am anyway, i like black, black n black n on a bike i dont like the two tone cheap glossy look, those bikes look crap, n im a massive giant fan, infact just about every bike ive owned has been a giant..

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    584
    I'm liking the Trance 29er 1. Looks good and has a good spec for the price. How are giant's dropper posts?

  20. #20
    Who took my gears?
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,537
    Quote Originally Posted by fontarin View Post
    I'm liking the Trance 29er 1. Looks good and has a good spec for the price. How are giant's dropper posts?
    Agreed. Has the potential to be my next purchase...

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    703
    i dont see anything that would make me want a new giant bike.

  22. #22
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,886
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    I don't get the fashion aspect of looking at bikes. I could give 2 s**ts, what the color scheme and graphics look like. It will be covered in dirt soon enough. I must be weird like that.
    Nope. You're not alone. F**k the fashionistas.

  23. #23
    Good, green, Oregon.
    Reputation: Giant Chachi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    789
    I love a good looking bike and all, but it really doesn't make it perform any better. But hey, everyone has their "hot button" and if paint scheme is yours, then I respect that. That said, I don't mind the scheme all that much on the '13s. Maybe it's my age or something......38.

    I love the Trance X 29er though. That is a hot bike! But, I am 4 months into my Anthem X 29er and loving it, so I'm not in the market for a couple of years at least.
    *2016 Transition Patrol Carbon (aka: Sweet Pea)

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    29
    Went into the LBS and got me a Giant Trance x3 2012, saw some new Talon 29ers, they looked pretty slick. Seemed to have a different paint scheme than the one in the link, regional differences I guess.

  25. #25
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,461
    Don't make the mistake of thinking the 2013's are available yet, they aren't. If you saw something in a shop, it was probably a 2012 unless you're somewhere besides the US.

    As far as colors go, I was looking at an Anthem X 29er 2 (didn't think much of the 2012 color) but the 2012 model is out of stock in XL - my LBS can't get it. So I'm waiting on the 2013, and frankly, it looks better to me than the 2012, paint wise. And it's a 2x10 instead of a 3x. I think it's an overall win, I just wish I could actually get my hands on it.

    As for the fact that no one posting here seems to like anything they see for the most part, vote with your wallets and go buy someone else's bikes. They might look better but only one other company has a rear suspension setup that can come close to keeping up with Giants.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Don't make the mistake of thinking the 2013's are available yet, they aren't. If you saw something in a shop, it was probably a 2012 unless you're somewhere besides the US.
    I live in New Zealand .

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cale399's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Nope. You're not alone. F**k the fashionistas.
    Can't wait to see u guys hitting the trail on a pink one

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: d365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,779
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Don't make the mistake of thinking the 2013's are available yet, they aren't. If you saw something in a shop, it was probably a 2012 unless you're somewhere besides the US.
    My LBS said they would have a Tx 29 on the floor by the second week of Sept.... which probably means first week of Oct.

    He already had two Tx 29er 2s on pre-order.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jimmy V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    My LBS said they would have a Tx 29 on the floor by the second week of Sept.... which probably means first week of Oct.

    He already had two Tx 29er 2s on pre-order.
    Same answer here in OK.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jimmy V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    89
    Don't make the mistake of thinking the 2013's are available yet, they aren't. If you saw something in a shop, it was probably a 2012 unless you're somewhere besides the US.

    My Son in law picked up his 2013 XTC three weeks ago. So some 13s are on the floor.
    But no 2013 TX 29ers.

  31. #31
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,886
    Quote Originally Posted by cale399 View Post
    Can't wait to see u guys hitting the trail on a pink one
    <shrug>

    I'd rock a pink bike.

  32. #32
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Reputation: scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,771
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    <SHRUG>

    I'd rock a pink bike.
    Same here.




    I like the Trance-X Womens model with the lower slung dropped TT. Too bad they aren't doing that with the rest of the line.

    No carbon TX frame? I'd seriously go for one of those and a new Revelation to replace my current alloy model/Sektor combo. hell, maybe I ought to just pay bank to have someone custom build me a frame with the linkages off my current frame. Give me Trance-X exactly how I want it...shorter stays, a bit slacker, dropped TT, Reverb Stealth routing, etc.

    I don't like the graphics either, but they wouldn't keep me from riding one.
    Last edited by scrublover; 08-29-2012 at 03:29 AM.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CaRaBeeN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    232
    "Reign 0" price jumped from 4000 USD to 4.475 USD???
    Parts moved from Shimano to SRAM???
    Wheelsets changed to ownsets instead of DTSwiss???
    Still no Kashima on fork'n shock?
    WTF going on with Giant?

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jimmy V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by CaRaBeeN View Post
    "Reign 0" price jumped from 4000 USD to 4.475 USD???
    Parts moved from Shimano to SRAM???
    Wheelsets changed to ownsets instead of DTSwiss???
    Still no Kashima on fork'n shock?
    WTF going on with Giant?
    That is a good question!
    You should check out the Yeti lineup.
    Their SB66 & 66c is too sweet!
    The SB95 will likely be my next, but not this year.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    563
    Wow, completely ditched 26" anthems. There are plenty of us that hate the boat handling of wagon wheels.
    I was planning on buying a carbon 26" anthem this year since they dicked up the buildouts so bad last year

    I guess Ill have to try to find a 2012 frame to buy.


    did any of the frames other than the glory get a refresh this year?
    Last edited by Evan55; 08-13-2012 at 02:00 PM.
    The mountains are calling and I must go

  36. #36
    local bike dr.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    112
    They've changed the Revel 0 from 26" to a 29er for 2013 as well...
    I had my heart set on buying a medium revel 0 in 2 weeks, but my LBS can't get one. Calling shops up in chicago to see if anyone can find that bike, sure as hell don't want 29" wheels. The trails I wanna ride are tight and twisty...

    Have called 30 bike shops so far w/in 3 hours drive from me, nobody has one. Not sure it's worth driving more than 3 hours, but will keep searching. But it is starting to piss me off.... Why are they pushing more and more bikes onto 29" wheels? This model in particular had NO problems selling, all the bike shops I've talked to have told me this bike has been hard to get and keep in stock.
    Last edited by G0at; 08-13-2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: update

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Swissam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,126
    FUGLY. I am actually pissed because I was waiting to buy a 2013 reign x, not anymore.
    Components, FUGLY. Color, FUGLY. Price, FUGLY.

    WTF giant?

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by murphy87 View Post
    Way to go halfway again Giant! I forsee another year of my shop loosing sales to the big T and S brands. 32mm forks on reigns? 32mm forks on trance X 29's? 34mm forks on reign X's? Non kashima coated forks on $5000.00 bikes? No redesign on Anthem X 29 aluminum frames (No standover clearence for yet another year)? No faith? Stupid lack of any color again. It's good to know that Giant does not listen to any of it's dealers on what they want but instead listens to 80 year old bean counters in Taiwan on how to progress a brand.
    Dude so true, and on top the chain stay remains 18.2 inches vs 17.8 on the trance.

    Edit: Well at least they have a more reasonable gearing for 2013
    Last edited by dolande; 08-15-2012 at 05:05 AM.

  39. #39
    ~Reformed Mechanic~
    Reputation: Ace5high's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,177
    Wow Im glad I decided to pickup an Anthem in 2012, love the Black, almost looks like Decker's Anthem... Don't care for most of the 2013 Color Schemes.
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    208
    Some of you guys crack me up. The way I see it when I'm flying down the trail the bike is a blur. I'm not seeing the color only the trail ahead of me.
    I'm Just OK with the Gray/Black/Red color of my 12 XTC 2 but everyone I ride with thinks it looks cool and they say the colors just blend together when I'm riding. Maybe Giant designed the colors to look best at speed not on the bike rack.

    All I know is I'm not going to buy an inferior bike for what might be better color choices.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Glynis27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    799
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan55 View Post
    Wow, completely ditched 26" anthems.
    Yep. I knew it was coming soon, but was hoping they'd wait one more year so I could get one. I'm just too happy with 26" wheels, too heavily invested and a 29" bike won't fit in the back of my car.
    '15 Soma Wolverine '12 Soma Analog SS '10 Transition TransAM '07 Felt F1X '97 Schwinn Mesa SS '89 Fuji Saratoga '86 Fuji Club

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: laztpn0i's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    52
    ^I agree with the above! But by nature, we are just visibly creatures. Some just like what they see. And we all have personal preferences. For me I've been longing for a Reign X0 and the new color scheme didn't strike me at first. But it is growing on me. I just don't get why they didn't do internal cable routing for the RX and for their whole new lineup for that matter. Most of the other manufacturers look like they are moving into that aspect. I just think it would be beneficial in reducing chances of getting caught up and snagging things (Though I have never had that problem). But I guess that would require whole new re designs and testing for structural weaknesses. Oh well. Maybe next year.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    119
    only looked at the trances, color schemes are horrible

  44. #44
    ~Reformed Mechanic~
    Reputation: Ace5high's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,177
    Quote Originally Posted by excaliber View Post
    Some of you guys crack me up. The way I see it when I'm flying down the trail the bike is a blur. I'm not seeing the color only the trail ahead of me.
    I'm Just OK with the Gray/Black/Red color of my 12 XTC 2 but everyone I ride with thinks it looks cool and they say the colors just blend together when I'm riding. Maybe Giant designed the colors to look best at speed not on the bike rack.

    All I know is I'm not going to buy an inferior bike for what might be better color choices.
    I mean... Im honestly not someone thats going to pass over a better ride due to color scheme, I almost don't care, but I still gotta call it like it is... Giant lost their minds on the 2013 color schemes
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by giant_in_a_trance View Post
    only looked at the trances, color schemes are horrible
    I don't mind the look of the Trance X 29er 00 we're getting in Australia:

    2013 Performance Launch | Facebook

    I'm more interested to see if the $900 AUD price difference over the 29er 0 is worth it for me than anything to do with the colour scheme. That said, I didn't like the look over the 29er 0 when I first saw it, but it has grown on me over time as I've seen more photos of the bike pop up. Hopefully I'll be able to test ride each one next week.

    - I still think the colour choice on the 29er 1 is pretty ugly

  46. #46
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    I mean... Im honestly not someone thats going to pass over a better ride due to color scheme, I almost don't care, but I still gotta call it like it is... Giant lost their minds on the 2013 color schemes
    well said mate..
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  47. #47
    I AM I AM
    Reputation: ducktape's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,221
    Quote Originally Posted by gunt pimp View Post
    i dont see anything that would make me want a new giant bike.
    I'd be a 26" HT kind of lady and I don't see nothing on the Aussie site that I'd be inclined to buy.

    Bike Index - Giant Bicycles | Australia

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    29
    So no more 26er trance for Aussie ?

  49. #49
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    Quote Originally Posted by ducktape View Post
    I'd be a 26" HT kind of lady and I don't see nothing on the Aussie site that I'd be inclined to buy.

    Bike Index - Giant Bicycles | Australia
    Any reason why you go by the name DUCKTAPE op? your not into any weird stuff are you?
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    563
    giant demo here next wednesday, ill check out the 29er trance - i guess ill have to try to not hate 29ers since i have no choice anymore.....
    The mountains are calling and I must go

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2
    It looks like they are really abandoning the 26" hardtail for the serious or semi-serious mtn biker...sad...though I guess this is an industry trend.

    I was close to buying a '12 Revel 0...but now the stock seems to be gone, and the best Revel for 2013 is the $525 Revel 1, which is pretty neutered for a top model. I will most likely have to shop other manufacturers or buy a cheaper revel and build it up right off the bat.

    At 5'6" and as someone whose primary mtb enjoyment comes from tight twisty terrain, I would like to stay on a 26er. The fact the the 29ers can roll over stuff easier doesn't really appeal to me...I'm coming from a fully rigid anyway.

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2
    I wanted to post a new thread with this, but I can't yet with only 1 post...but...

    ...has anyone had any luck asking a U.S. bike shop to order a Canada spec bike? Is it even possible? I see that Giant still sells the xtc 26" hardtail in the Canadian market, and its specs and frame quality are more like what I am interested in. I wonder if the warranty would still apply.

  53. #53
    I AM I AM
    Reputation: ducktape's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,221
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's L'axeman View Post
    Any reason why you go by the name DUCKTAPE op? your not into any weird stuff are you?
    I was inspired by a funny cartoon picture I saw once of a duck with duct tape around it's beak. Funny play on words.
    Not this exact one but along these lines



    This was the one...there you go just made it my avatar again


    btw I'm not the OP of this thread though

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    86
    It looks like I am going to have to choose either a 29er or 26er trance X

    Too bad no 650.

  55. #55
    I AM I AM
    Reputation: ducktape's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,221
    Yeah if they at least had 650b options maybe I would consider that. But at 5ft7 I find 700c (basically close to 27") wheels on a road bike are big enough let alone going to 29" monsters on a mtb

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    197
    I am 5-6 ductape and I have a 2012 Anthem x 29er - 1 and I have no problems with it and I ride tight twisty technical singletrack 99% of the time.

  57. #57
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Reputation: scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,771
    Quote Originally Posted by RRHINES View Post
    I am 5-6 ductape and I have a 2012 Anthem x 29er - 1 and I have no problems with it and I ride tight twisty technical singletrack 99% of the time.

    *shrug*

    I'm a couple inches taller than you, ride tight twisty technical singletrack 99% of the time and hated the couple 29ers I've tried...

    Just because it works for one person doesn't mean it works for everyone else.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

  58. #58
    ~Reformed Mechanic~
    Reputation: Ace5high's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,177
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    *shrug*

    I'm a couple inches taller than you, ride tight twisty technical singletrack 99% of the time and hated the couple 29ers I've tried...

    Just because it works for one person doesn't mean it works for everyone else.
    Are you sure you didnt hate the 29ers just because you were used the way a 26er handles?

    My point is that we all become comfortable with what is "normal" to us. If I were to simply lower your seat tube 1" invert your stem, you would say your bike "felt weird". If I were to tack on 1" more to your chainstays change your headtube angle 1 degree an replace your wheels/tires with heavy ones, you might say you hated the way your bike handled...

    Food for thought.
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    Are you sure you didnt hate the 29ers just because you were used the way a 26er handles?

    My point is that we all become comfortable with what is "normal" to us. If I were to simply lower your seat tube 1" invert your stem, you would say your bike "felt weird". If I were to tack on 1" more to your chainstays change your headtube angle 1 degree an replace your wheels/tires with heavy ones, you might say you hated the way your bike handled...

    Food for thought.
    I must agree, at first on parking lot my new AX 29 0 felt wired. Too high, to short ...

    I inverted stem and rotated handlebars forward to get length as much as possible. Bike felt much more to what I was used too and when I pushed it really hard through trails it felt great.

    But now even with handlebars rotated back to "normal" position it feels simple great (perfect?!?). I ever rotate stem on occasions when I want little bit more playfulness/manueling from the bike.
    ==============
    Anthem X 29er 0

  60. #60
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Reputation: scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    Are you sure you didnt hate the 29ers just because you were used the way a 26er handles?

    My point is that we all become comfortable with what is "normal" to us. If I were to simply lower your seat tube 1" invert your stem, you would say your bike "felt weird". If I were to tack on 1" more to your chainstays change your headtube angle 1 degree an replace your wheels/tires with heavy ones, you might say you hated the way your bike handled...

    Food for thought.

    Um, duh? Yes. I'm used to the way my 26ers handle, and like the way they handle.

    These weren't just parking lot tests. A dozen rides on trails I know and ride regularly.

    Yes, they rolled over things better, and held speed once going better. Those benefits didn't offset the rest of the way the bikes felt for me. for the fast directional changes, slow speed hoppy trialsy moves, rock crawling and drop moves, I very much disliked them.

    29ers are not for everyone. Yes, I get it - some folks feel they are a panacea for every bike ill there is, but again, just because they work for some doesn't mean they work for all.

    That said, I'm still open to the idea. if I get a test ride on one and it blows me away, sure, I'll buy one.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

  61. #61
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    Quote Originally Posted by ducktape View Post
    I was inspired by a funny cartoon picture I saw once of a duck with duct tape around it's beak. Funny play on words.
    Not this exact one but along these lines



    This was the one...there you go just made it my avatar again


    btw I'm not the OP of this thread though
    Ducktape, i relieved to hear that, i just thought you might have been involved in that bondage with ducks movement, its gaining momentum down here in Australia, cheers

    p.s i like the avatar, but it confirms all of my fears
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Paraic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    19
    God I don't like the cut of the 2013 range at all... like someone else said it doesn't really matter it's gonna get caked in mud anyway

  63. #63
    ~Reformed Mechanic~
    Reputation: Ace5high's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,177
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Um, duh? Yes. I'm used to the way my 26ers handle, and like the way they handle.

    29ers are not for everyone. Yes, I get it - some folks feel they are a panacea for every bike ill there is, but again, just because they work for some doesn't mean they work for all.

    That said, I'm still open to the idea. if I get a test ride on one and it blows me away, sure, I'll buy one.
    Ive never been one to think for a moment 29ers work better for absolutely everyone. Im usually rallying for the 26er guys saying they are different bikes for different applications....

    At the same time there are many who test ride and immediately dismiss because they feel very different than what they are used to.
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    26
    I'm stuck between the trance x 29er 2 ($1700) and 2012 trance x3 ($1900) with my LBS. I got a Revel 1 hardtail 3 months ago, and have decided to up it to full suspension. Talking to the other guys that I ride with, I'm leaning toward the 29er. The draw back is that he doesn't have a time frame on when they will finally ship. I'm sure either one will work great for me.

  65. #65
    ~Reformed Mechanic~
    Reputation: Ace5high's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,177
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbutcherer View Post
    I'm stuck between the trance x 29er 2 ($1700) and 2012 trance x3 ($1900) with my LBS. I got a Revel 1 hardtail 3 months ago, and have decided to up it to full suspension. Talking to the other guys that I ride with, I'm leaning toward the 29er. The draw back is that he doesn't have a time frame on when they will finally ship. I'm sure either one will work great for me.
    I think you have that backwards the 2 is typically the pricey build... That said, these are some VERY low price points... I wonder what made Giant decide to offer the Trance X 29er with such low end builds, as opposed to the Anthem X
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    190
    Well its looks like there trying to get 29er into the norm

    so i wonder if there still going to sell many 26 bikes

  67. #67
    Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Reputation: Uncle Cliffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,749
    Wow. My opening post of the thread got neg repped. "stop living in the past" was the comment...

    Priceless. Living in the past cause I want a frame that fits me and features that the latest model trail/am bikes come with? Wonder if it was a Giant product manager or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

  68. #68
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,461
    I doubt it. I don't even think Giant has a product manager on these boards. It was probably someone like me who wonders why you cry about the current line up if you're happy with what you have. Although, for the record, I've never neg-repped anyone. I just shake my head and move on.

  69. #69
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,363
    The 2013s are definitely starting to come in. We've had two new Anthem Advanced X29er 2's in large and medium since early July. We also have (or had) two Trance X29er 1's in large and medium (the large was stolen from the shop!).

    The Anthem Advanced X29er 2 and 1 have now changed colors. Apparently everybody hated the 1's color. So now the 1 is the red/white/black and the 2 is a grey.

    Unfortunately my XL Anthem Advanced X29 0 is still not on the way. I've been strung along on that one since May.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  70. #70
    ~Reformed Mechanic~
    Reputation: Ace5high's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    We also have (or had) two Trance X29er 1's in large and medium (the large was stolen from the shop!).
    .
    One of the first few Trance X 29ers and the Jackass who stole it probably doesnt have a clue what it is
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    643
    The lack of 26ers in the Anthem and Trance range was a hell of a shock to me. Here in Australia, I managed to jump on one of only four remaining Advanced X Trance SL 0 before they disappeared for all time. I suggest you strongly consider sourcing a 26er from 2012 before they all go. Probably you'll do well in that they'll be on special anyway. Mine was discounted bigtime.

  72. #72
    Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Reputation: Uncle Cliffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,749
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I doubt it. I don't even think Giant has a product manager on these boards. It was probably someone like me who wonders why you cry about the current line up if you're happy with what you have. Although, for the record, I've never neg-repped anyone. I just shake my head and move on.
    Like a lot of people on this board, I'm a fan of the brand. I think the Maestro platform is my favorite suspension design right now. Yeah, I'm super happy with my Trance, but you can be riding the perfect bike, and wonder if it could be better. That's just innovation...

    I just hate to see Giant not take chances sometimes. I go to the races and they're swarming with Spechy Enduro/Stumpjumpers and Santa Cruz Blurs/Nomads. There's a reason why...

    This post sums up a lot of what I'm on about.

    And thanks for even more negative rep. guys. Since I rarely post here any more, I'm happy to have it. Maybe I can get banned for having too much?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    208

    ... and if we just ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy View Post
    Like a lot of people on this board, I'm a fan of the brand. I think the Maestro platform is my favorite suspension design right now. Yeah, I'm super happy with my Trance, but you can be riding the perfect bike, and wonder if it could be better. That's just innovation...

    I just hate to see Giant not take chances sometimes. I go to the races and they're swarming with Spechy Enduro/Stumpjumpers and Santa Cruz Blurs/Nomads. There's a reason why...
    The last few races in Oregon, Sun Valley & Downieville I saw the bikes you mentioned above in chase mode to a couple awesome Giant riders( AC, Carl Decker). Maybe all those other guys are on the wrong bike.

  74. #74
    ~Reformed Mechanic~
    Reputation: Ace5high's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy View Post
    Like a lot of people on this board, I'm a fan of the brand. I think the Maestro platform is my favorite suspension design right now. Yeah, I'm super happy with my Trance, but you can be riding the perfect bike, and wonder if it could be better. That's just innovation...

    I just hate to see Giant not take chances sometimes. I go to the races and they're swarming with Spechy Enduro/Stumpjumpers and Santa Cruz Blurs/Nomads. There's a reason why...

    This post sums up a lot of what I'm on about.

    And thanks for even more negative rep. guys. Since I rarely post here any more, I'm happy to have it. Maybe I can get banned for having too much?
    What are you even talking about? First your mad that Giant dropped a few items you liked and now your saying thay have zero innovation?

    You dont have a clue what your saying, since Giant has brought serious innovation to the Mt bike world, including a suspension design that outperforms 90% of the heavyweights like Speshy, Fisher/Trek...

    It really doesnt matter which brands you see at your local races, doesn't mean anything. Why don't you go tell Carl Decker and Adam Craig that Giant doesn't make race worthy bikes.
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

  75. #75
    Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Reputation: Uncle Cliffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,749
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    What are you even talking about? First your mad that Giant dropped a few items you liked and now your saying thay have zero innovation?
    Rabble rabble rabble. The lineup is getting smaller, and there was speculation of more carbon models that didn't come to fruition.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    You dont have a clue what your saying, since Giant has brought serious innovation to the Mt bike world, including a suspension design that outperforms 90% of the heavyweights like Speshy, Fisher/Trek...
    I do know what I'm talking about. Giant has the most advanced alloy manipulation skills in the industry. But they aren't following the market on this one. Everyone else offers carbon frames that have features people want.

    AM bikes with no ISCG tabs? DH bikes with the same steep geometry for 7 years? No 142 X 12 rear axle cause the current designs are stiffer? Sheesh. Yeah, they thought of Overdrive 2, but nobody wants that. (yet)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    It really doesnt matter which brands you see at your local races, doesn't mean anything. Why don't you go tell Carl Decker and Adam Craig that Giant doesn't make race worthy bikes.
    Yeah, I know about that. Josh Carlson smashed Decker and everyone else here in Ashland on the bike I love to ride... But, If you look at the privateer, Giant isn't their first choice...


    I'll say it again to prove my point. I LOVE GIANT. I just want to see them follow riders demands a little closer like most other companies do. Also, I'm not posting in a negative manner maybe I need more smilies...?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

  76. #76
    ~Reformed Mechanic~
    Reputation: Ace5high's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy View Post
    Rabble rabble rabble. The lineup is getting smaller, and there was speculation of more carbon models that didn't come to fruition.
    Yeah they are a little behind some others in the 29er and Carbon Departments, but what they lack in punctuality they do make up for in innovation. Id put an Anthem Advanced 29er against any other 3x times the $ carbon "race 29" frames. Ive ridden many other "heavyweight" platforms and far as FS 29ers go, maestro does defeat them all imo. So for that reason I would like to see more carbon frames as well as more from Giant as a whole. I think they do not get the attention they deserve, possible because they show up a little late to the party... who know...
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation: aizen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    124
    Even though I think the colour schemes for some of the Giant bikes look ugly, I still can't wait to visit my local bike shop to have an actual look at the bikes. Giant does make bad-ass bikes which are value-for-money and cater to noob riders such as myself.
    2010 Giant Trance X3
    2013 Giant Reign 1

  78. #78
    ~Reformed Mechanic~
    Reputation: Ace5high's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,177
    Quote Originally Posted by aizen View Post
    Even though I think the colour schemes for some of the Giant bikes look ugly, I still can't wait to visit my local bike shop to have an actual look at the bikes. Giant does make bad-ass bikes which are value-for-money and cater to noob riders such as myself.
    Maybe that should be their slogan "Giant, were Noob friendly"

    Seriously though, they are a good value and you will find the "noob persona" they're labeled is only from pretentious asshat's who can barley ride their $12,000 mt-bk in the first place
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation: his dudeness's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,886
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    What are you even talking about? First your mad that Giant dropped a few items you liked and now your saying thay have zero innovation?

    You dont have a clue what your saying, since Giant has brought serious innovation to the Mt bike world, including a suspension design that outperforms 90% of the heavyweights like Speshy, Fisher/Trek...

    It really doesnt matter which brands you see at your local races, doesn't mean anything. Why don't you go tell Carl Decker and Adam Craig that Giant doesn't make race worthy bikes.
    Look, I think what Cliffy is frustrated with is that Giant has chosen to largely stop making and improving upon a 26 inch wheeled bike. Sure, 29ers (and soon to be 650B) are the new lovechild of every bike company now but that shouldn't mean that they should just go ahead and completely ignore a very large consumer market. While yes, there are many slow people out there who lack technical skills (aka- a beginners) that the added stability and steamroller effect of a 29er could benefit, there are numerous others that enjoy the playfullness and nimbleness that a 26 inch wheeled bike has. The problem Giant has is that now diehard 26 inch wheeled consumers will almost completely ignore the brand since Giant is no longer meeting their needs. Giant will lose money because these consumers will go to other brands that still carry (and are improving on) 26 inch bikes.

    Now I don't care about all of the quantitative data and empirical analysis done to prove that 29ers are faster. They're not faster in tight corners, they don't pop off obstacles as well, and they don't actually FEEL fast. So, sure, you might pass me on your 29er... But I'll still be having more fun. Kind of reminds me of another pointless debate, Strava or beer? Which goes in your pack for a ride? Strava makes rides less fun and forces you to try to destroy your riding buddies, beer makes rides more fun and makes you want to enjoy hanging out with your riding buddies.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

  80. #80
    ~Reformed Mechanic~
    Reputation: Ace5high's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,177
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness View Post
    Look, I think what Cliffy is frustrated with is that Giant has chosen to largely stop making and improving upon a 26 inch wheeled bike.
    Yeah I guess I must have missed that point. I really don't see that as only a Giant issue though, I see this as an industry wide trend these days... Im sure some are sticking around to support the 26er guys, but most seem to be at least focusing on other areas. Take the good with the bad I guess...
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

  81. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness View Post
    Look, I think what Cliffy is frustrated with is that Giant has chosen to largely stop making and improving upon a 26 inch wheeled bike.
    Yup, I am with Cliffy there. Although I only just arrived on planet mountain bike, so what do I know.

  82. #82
    Hill eater
    Reputation: Rattus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post
    The lack of 26ers in the Anthem and Trance range was a hell of a shock to me. Here in Australia, I managed to jump on one of only four remaining Advanced X Trance SL 0 before they disappeared for all time. I suggest you strongly consider sourcing a 26er from 2012 before they all go. Probably you'll do well in that they'll be on special anyway. Mine was discounted bigtime.
    I did the same but I snapped up a run out deal before the 2013 range was announced. Wasn't sure if I would be dissapointed at missing new innovation. But I'm glad I jumped in, if Giant don't put out more 26ers in future then this will be my last.

    Stupid move Giant......a small frame Trance 0 29er what a ludicrous combination. A Dr.Suess joke bike

    Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2
    We don't stop playing because we grow old
    We grow old because we stop playing.

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    11
    Anyone know anything about the ATX Pro frame? What era they come from, and what level they are as far as terrain? I bought an ATX Pro, and I love it so far, just want to change to disc brakes.

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation: guppie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    378
    It's not so much the graphics design but the color schemes - yuk! I too am a Giant fan (NRS, VT, Reign). I'm not big on the 29er craze either but I think Giant should've gone out on a limb and tossed in a 650b model. Intense and Rocky Mountain and a few others have done so. Become a leader in innovation...

    I also like how the new TranceX is going to have 140mm up front.
    00 Spec Rockhopper, 02 Giant NRS, 05 Giant VT, 08 Spec StumpJumper, 11 Giant Reign, 14 Giant Trance 27.5, 15 Pivot Mach 6

  85. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by guppie View Post
    I also like how the new TranceX is going to have 140mm up front.
    I might have also, if they released it in Australasia .

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by stalker6recon View Post
    Anyone know anything about the ATX Pro frame? What era they come from, and what level they are as far as terrain? I bought an ATX Pro, and I love it so far, just want to change to disc brakes.
    Found the frame on the Giant international site:

    Bike Finder - Giant Bicycles | International

    It is listed as 2012 model. I haven't seen the ATX pro anywhere else.
    I didn't realise Giant still used the ATX name. My wife's first real mountain bike was a Giant 1996 ATX870.

    BikePedia - 1996 Giant ATX 870 Complete Bicycle

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,036
    No more Anthem X Advanced SL. I own one, great bike, but from a marketing perspective I can see why that expensive 26er FS is dead to Giant.

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    11
    "It is listed as 2012 model. I haven't seen the ATX pro anywhere else.
    I didn't realise Giant still used the ATX name. My wife's first real mountain bike was a Giant 1996 ATX870."


    Thanks for the link, my frame is different than these shown, so it must be a different year model. I bought it here in the Philippines, so there is no way of knowing if the frame is real or not, might be a knock off, but it seems legit.

    I am a disabled vet (bad back), walking sucks, running is impossible, but riding is ok, does not seem to aggravate my injuries. It appears that the ATX is a entry model for MTB's, but I like it so far. Just want to change a few parts, like going to disc over the v-brakes I have now.

    My wife has a Bob Haro, that I bought and built for her, just because Haro was what I grew up with in the 70's, but I have found a Giant Revel 01 (not sure what the number means) complete, and thought about buying that for her, and moving some of the parts to my bike. It is a little over 600 bucks in the Philippines because of import taxes. Just wonder if that is a good move or not, I am a noob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The 2013 Giant line-up.-20120830_102611.jpg  

    The 2013 Giant line-up.-20120830_102629.jpg  

    The 2013 Giant line-up.-20120830_102658.jpg  

    The 2013 Giant line-up.-20120830_102739.jpg  

    The 2013 Giant line-up.-20120830_102818.jpg  


  89. #89
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,363
    I don't know where you guys are seeing that there aren't any 26er Trance models for 2013. There are 3. X1-X3.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  90. #90
    Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Reputation: Uncle Cliffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,749
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    I don't know where you guys are seeing that there aren't any 26er Trance models for 2013. There are 3. X1-X3.
    If you look closer, you'll find there are only 2. (for whatever reason, they skipped the X2...?)
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

  91. #91
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,363
    You're right. I just saw that. But hey, they have two!
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  92. #92
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Reputation: scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    You're right. I just saw that. But hey, they have two!

    Not that they don't have any, but that they are not doing the carbon versions, instead cutting it down to two models and concentrating the carbon on all the new big wheel schtick.

    I very, very much like my 26" TX, and have tried and very much disliked a few 29ers. The full carbon model was on my list as a "maybe" purchase...
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

  93. #93
    wheelie king
    Reputation: 661lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    590
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Not that they don't have any, but that they are not doing the carbon versions, instead cutting it down to two models and concentrating the carbon on all the new big wheel schtick.

    I very, very much like my 26" TX, and have tried and very much disliked a few 29ers. The full carbon model was on my list as a "maybe" purchase...
    Same for me, except I really wanted a 26" carbon Trance X.

  94. #94
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,886
    I'll take a 26" carbon Reign-X, please.

  95. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3
    Cool! Thanks for the link. Looks like they added a chain guide to the reign and switched over to SRAM components. How does the X0 compare to the prior XT set?

  96. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socalrider77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    337
    really wish they would have kept the trance x3 the same. really was looking forward to that as i am one of those who like the nimbleness of a 26" wheel. maybe i will have to go with the reign 2 then for a bit more. anyone know how well they climb compared to the trance?
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

  97. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by socalrider77 View Post
    really wish they would have kept the trance x3 the same. really was looking forward to that as i am one of those who like the nimbleness of a 26" wheel.
    I am not sure what market your in, but I suspect there may not be any 26 trance X bikes for you come 2014 . In my market "Australasia" they are already missing" as of the 2013 lineup. I am not interested in the 29er trance, I hope the 26 trance will return to Australasia in furture years or I guess more likely a 650b trance be added.
    Last edited by Genetic_Drift; 09-05-2012 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Punctuation

  98. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12
    Those bikes really cool!

  99. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    643
    Quote Originally Posted by socalrider77 View Post
    really wish they would have kept the trance x3 the same. really was looking forward to that as i am one of those who like the nimbleness of a 26" wheel. maybe i will have to go with the reign 2 then for a bit more. anyone know how well they climb compared to the trance?
    Here in OZ, the Reign 1 has 120/150mm travel options. So in this case, the 120mm would be good for climbing. But the Reign 2 has only 150m which from the sounds of it might make climbing tougher than it needs to be. I'd only consider a Reign if your trails were overly rocky. If you can 'get away' with a Trance, it'd be the better compromise.

  100. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    643
    Quote Originally Posted by Genetic_Drift View Post
    I am not sure what market your in, but I suspect there may not be any 26 trance X bikes for you come 2014 . In my market "Australasia" they are already missing" as of the 2013 lineup. I am not interested in the 29er trance, I hope the 26 trance will return to Australasia in furture years or I guess more likely a 650b trance be added.
    grab 2012 Trance 26ers on special in OZ ...we did!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •