Your Best Friend

2013 Giant Anthem X29er 4 W (womens)

Just thought I'd post an initial impression. The build is solid and pretty straight forward. The small I just put together weighs in at 29lbs 2oz with reflectors and no pedals. Pretty good looking in person as well. Definitely a nice bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Giant Anthem X29er 4 W (womens)-2012-12-20_13-21-23_389.jpg  

2013 Giant Anthem X29er 4 W (womens)-1356035271477.jpg  

I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Is this fork the coil version or single air? The spec chart doesn't say which, unless I missed it. I kinda like the Kashiny stanchions with the white/blue look. Plus they're probably stiff and bulletproof. Already ordered one for Her - didn't make it for Christmas, unfortunately - so I guess it'll be one or the other but still curious.

Giant nailed the looks on this one, to my eye. Looks like a large water bottle will fit?? Yes, no?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Im pretty sure the recon silver is air spring but steel instead of alloy stauction?sorry I dont know the spelling. I bought my wife the xw 0 in a size small and am having trouble getting a bottle and cage to work. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    By the look of things, you'll need to get a side loading cage. Specialized makes one, and so does Bontrager as I recall. Probably others too, but I've been using the Speshy one with no real complaints. It's the only way on a medium Epic so the problem is common - designers are assuming a side loader being used.

My beef with the Speshy one is that it loads from the left and I'm right handed..... but maybe you're better off with the bars in the right hand and some dexterity practice if you're 'drinking and driving'.

Let me know how it works out, tho I'll be getting 'hers' soon and if I have to mount a cage out back on the seatpost so be it. But she's pretty tired of having to stop to unload a muddy bottle and having to assume that all the brown and wet stuff on the trail was mud!

Maybe Giant makes a sideloader - as If you need it to say Giant in more places!

davidcarson48
    I have a Specialized cage that loads from the right. So they are out there...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by davidcarson48 View Post
    I have a Specialized cage that loads from the right. So they are out there...
    So does mine - when it's mounted on the seat tube of my road bike! Maybe they were out of the RH down tube model when I was buying my bike; was all they had. Thanks for the 'hedzup'. I'd guess the righties sell out first.

davidcarson48
    Just looked at my roadie. I have a RH one on both the down tube and seat tube. So yeah, they were available both ways!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Just thought I'd post an initial impression. The build is solid and pretty straight forward. The small I just put together weighs in at 29lbs 2oz with reflectors and no pedals. Pretty good looking in person as well. Definitely a nice bike.
    I know this thread is a bit aged but I didn't want to start a new one. Do you have any more impressions from this particular bike? We just bought my wife an x-small in the x4.
    I assume you have a bike shop. Have you gotten any feedback? We live in the Denver area and I hope the bike will be a good fit for her out here. I tried the women's forums and there is very little talk about the women's Anthem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My wife's 4W size small finally arrived. In answer to my own question, yes, a small bottle fits in there with a side loader cage. Tight, but makes it. It may not on an XS.

As far as impressions goes, it's an Anthem so all the usual applies. The fork is single air and pretty low pressure so I have this feeling there's no negative chamber, so it ramps up pretty fast. I think the plot would have been better with a Reba on it even if the price had to go up a hundred or so. But it works acceptably and only adds a half pound, and she's happy with it even if her last bike had a SID.

The WS aspect works; even the saddle - which is usually hopelessly cheap and male oriented - is [apparently] just fine. And the stand over is fine for her at 5'2". No toe overlap problems, nothing to change out.

The only mod I made was to ditch the chain stay protector which was already peeling off and hopeless, with a 'custom' inner tube wrap special which looks serious and works. Giant should come up with something better than that sticker, like what the big S does.

But overall the thing is 'definitely a nice bike' and the rear suspension lives up to all the hype; even with a basic shock it doesn't bob or brake jack. It climbs, trails and descends anyway! Sure, it's little porky, but the 0 model fixes that for another thou or so, if it matters to you. Well done Giant.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benparker79 View Post
    Im pretty sure the recon silver is air spring but steel instead of alloy stauction?sorry I dont know the spelling. I bought my wife the xw 0 in a size small and am having trouble getting a bottle and cage to work. Any thoughts?
    My wife has an xs, she uses a camelback and prefers it over a water bottle. Hope this helps.