mtbr member
    Jul 2013

2013 Anthem x2 purchase decision

Hello, looking for some advice beyond what I have found thus far on the 2013 anthem x2. I am shopping between the x2 and the spesh epic comp. not so much worried about the price difference-- I more care about quality of bike and most time out of the shop.

I am sure many anthem owners cross shopped the two and curious what you think. Beyond shock maint, is there anything that will need freq replacement?

Anyone care to comment on prices paid for 2013 anthem x2?

Any advice welcome.

cowbell
    I can't/won't comment on price, but I shopped around too, and looked at some Spec stuff. Ultimately, that swayed me to the Giant was simply that the ride was better, specifically the feel of the rear suspension platform. That's it, period, point blank - it just felt more natural, more solid, and more progressive.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by TIMSMSU View Post
    Hello, looking for some advice beyond what I have found thus far on the 2013 anthem x2. I am shopping between the x2 and the spesh epic comp. not so much worried about the price difference-- I more care about quality of bike and most time out of the shop.

I am sure many anthem owners cross shopped the two and curious what you think. Beyond shock maint, is there anything that will need freq replacement?

Anyone care to comment on prices paid for 2013 anthem x2?

Any advice welcome.
    I ended up going with the Anthem over Spec , Kona and Trek, the bike just felt really well balanced. Similar to the way my Talon felt but with full suspension, I'd have no problem recommending it, great bike.

Jim

Sent from hell using Tapatalk
    Jim

Drinking rum before 10am makes you a pirate...not an alcoholic!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

I looked at the Epic Comp as well. Went with the Anthem X 29er 1. Just curious, at the price point of the Spesh you'd be riding an Anthem 1 and have cash left over, so why the 2?

Anyway, the Anthem felt more balanced to me. And I test rode a 6k dollar Epic Expert, way beyond my price range. By 'balanced' I mean that in the context of the ride. The Anthem felt as fast to me as the Epic, but the Anthem just felt a bit better and more versatile over the more technical sections of trail. Don't get me wrong, the Epic Comp is certainly a great bike, but what won me over was:
    1. The ride itself was more suited to my style on the Anthem
    2. Price - as mentioned the Anthem 1 left me with cash in hand
    3. Weight per dollar. As far as aluminum bikes go, the Epic was heavier. Not by much, but man does Giant do a great job of keeping the Aluminum frames light and stiff. The only thing I've changed in my bike is I went to 1x10, and my medium bike weighs in at 26.5 w/ xt pedals, 25.7 without. With a light wheelset I'll easily be in the 25's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

I paid 2350 for my Anthem 1 (2013)

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for all the great feedback! It was an x1 I was looking at not x2. Appreciate all the candid answers.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    NO compare. The Anthem will easily avoid the LBS, while the Specialized LOVES being on a bike stand. Ride-wise, the Giant feels like a magic carpet...and the Specialized - why pay MORE for a heavier bike???
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    I just got a 2013 Anthem X Advanced 2. best bike I ever owned! Do some Shopping around I got this for $2070 OTD! not bad for a carbon bike.
    Vassago VerHauen
    Ibis Ripley.

Your Best Friend
    The Specialized requires a band aid called the Brain in order for the rear suspension to play nice. The Giant suspension uses efficient design and mechanical leverage to keep the rear suspension active and it does it all without having some device making a decision for you on when it will work or not.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    I have owned a 2011 Specialized Epic (26" wheels) and a 2012 Giant Anthem (29" wheels). For me, the Giant works better. The first ride on a properly set up Anthem resulted in a 2 min drop in my lap time at the local course (57 min vs 59 min). Of course, some of that can be attributed to the change in wheel size. I liked the Epic, which I owned for 6 months, but I just like the Anthem more. In 1.5 yrs and about 2,000 miles, I have only had 2 problems with Anthem being in the shop for any length of time.
    1. The Monarch shock wouldn't hold compression. Rock Shox replaced within a week with a new shock
    2. Broke the frame at the seat tube/top tube junction. This is the Achilles heel of the frame, as our LBS has seen about a half dozen failures at this joint and others have written about it on this forum. To their credit, Giant has quickly and without question replaced the broken frames. Total down time was just over a week.

cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    The Specialized requires a band aid called the Brain in order for the rear suspension to play nice. The Giant suspension uses efficient design and mechanical leverage to keep the rear suspension active and it does it all without having some device making a decision for you on when it will work or not.
    Hah! This. I've quit telling people I can "feel the brain working" because they tell me I can't. But I can, and it's not a natural feeling, makes the whole bike feel off. So I just tell them the Anthem feels better (which it does) but that includes this whole real suspension design vs. lame suspension assistance. Crap, I've forgotten my asbestos boxer shorts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Hah! This. I've quit telling people I can "feel the brain working" because they tell me I can't. But I can, and it's not a natural feeling, makes the whole bike feel off. So I just tell them the Anthem feels better (which it does) but that includes this whole real suspension design vs. lame suspension assistance. Crap, I've forgotten my asbestos boxer shorts.
    I ride an Epic, and like you I can feel the brain working. But there's all sorts of other parts of the bike I can feel working so I'm not bothered by it. It's also a matter of setting the thing up right, which is pretty easy but....so is pumping up tires and folks get that haywire.

I have great respect for the Anthem suspension, but I like the 'road feel' of the Brain better. It's like riding a HT with inertia sensitive override. But the maestro suspension is state of the art and what I recommend people to try as a benchmark when they're deciding on a bike. It's amazingly capable and unfussy.

It's worth bearing in mind that there is no suspension system design which is inherently immune to rider bob; pedal bob, yes, but dealing with rider bob is going to require some type of hydraulic platform. That's really what the brain is for. To you it may be lame suspension assistance; to others it may be not so lame. And despite its lameness, it seems to win a lot of races.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by bulerias View Post
    And despite its lameness, it seems to win a lot of races.
    No, it doesn't. The riders on the bike do however.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    No, it doesn't. The riders on the bike do however.
    I kinda thought that was obvious.

cowbell
    The one I rode was, theoretically set up right. And there are a lot of parts of a bike you can feel working. But the suspension, and something that makes it feel unnatural aren't things I want to feel working, unless it's being able to tell I'm not on a full rigid bike. I'm not saying Spec is no good, I'm simply saying I don't like their suspension platform. No need to get worked up about it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have an anthem 29er x2 (2013). My dad has an epic comp carbon that I occasionally race because it's got a roval carbon wheelset and an x0 crankset I put on there for him. I will say that that bike is incredibly fast (it ought to be for a 6-7k bike). However, the suspension on my anthem, depending on how you set the sag/rebound, can be playful, or downright efficient. It's a versatile bike, with plenty of upgrade-ability. I've got over 500 miles on it now, and it kicks ass.