mtbr member
    Jul 2005

2013 Anthem X1 29'er rear triangle frame damage? Good ride gone bad.

Somebody rear ended my bike on the left side, essentially ending up with the handlebar into the wheel, bending a spoke and putting a dimple in my seat stay. I didn't fall or hit anything else. My rear brake lever also engaged ever so slightly sooner after the accident. Although the caliper and rotor appear fine, the cable is scuffed a bit out from the bolt into the caliper. The seat stay may be ok, or maybe its a crack waiting to happen. I can't tell because I can only see the chipped, cracked paint on the outside. It's not a horrible dimple, but my photo isn't the greatest. After an inspection of the damage, I kept riding the bike and it worked fine, stopping to check it out often. I am hoping that with a replacement of the spoke and a truing, and possibly replacing the rear hydraulic hose, the bike could be fine, although the dimple has me worried. The accident was mostly my fault as I stopped much too quickly on a downhill while thinking of trying an offshoot trail but I didn't warn the riders behind what I was doing, and caught the person behind me by surprise.

Called the shop to find out about what the part may cost. Waiting to hear. I'm in Canada.

Any way to tell if the damage is bad enough to replace it? Take it into the shop?
    Anybody aware of a crash replacement policy for parts like the rear triangle of a Giant Anthem X1 29er?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Anthem X1 29'er rear triangle frame damage? Good ride gone bad.-giant-seat-stay-dimple-2.jpg  

Last edited by morkys; 07-12-2013 at 10:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Bicycles don't have brake lights; not your fault somebody was following too close. Unless you did something actually wrong it isn't partly your fault.

I've learned to assume nothing; there are any number of reasons why the person in front of you will brake suddenly at any time. I did last Sunday when I got stung by a wasp. Or there will be a bicycle left strewn across the trail just over a blind rise - yesterday's lesson - or a tree down just around a blind corner - last Friday's lesson.

The dent is structurally irrelevant by the look of it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I will try to take a better picture of the "dent". I am not 100% sure I feel it's not an issue, but it may not be a serious problem. Talking with the bike shop about what I can do if I need to replace the triangle.

Does anybody know the spokes and spoke lengths on these bikes? I need to replace a non-drive side rear spoke at the absolute least. Was thinking of ordering a couple extra of front and rear to have around just in case.
    Last edited by morkys; 07-12-2013 at 12:12 PM.

davidcarson48
    I'd ride the poop out of that dent and never give it another thought.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    My friend says I should think of it as a battle scar.

mtbr member
    As others have said, that doesn't look like much. I say ride the snot out of it!

Worst case scenario is a stress crack will form but I don't think that will happen. The Anthem 29 has been out since '11 and I haven't heard of any rear triangle failures and I'm sure there are a lot of these bikes getting ridden and abused that are a lot worse than that pic. Plus those XT brakes are da kine!

mtbr member
    I am not sure its relevant but I have a worse dent with chipped paint on seat stay of my cannondale and it was over 10 years ago at Moab I got that one. Seems fine.