11' Giant Anthem X 29er
    11' Giant Trance X2
    12' BMC Fourstroke FS02 XT
    13' Epic S-Works XX1

mtbr member
    What are the changes?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I can't get stoked on a $3k bike with X5 bits.
    2002 Giant Rincon
    2012 Diamondback Podium 3
    2013 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO 29
    2013 Giant Anthem X Advanced 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DerrickT View Post
    What are the changes?
    There are no changes - 2013 is the first year of the bike. It was basically an early release.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Why are bikes in Australia so cheap? They have the 0 for $7499 AUD, which converts to ~$7700 USD. The US retail price is $8900.

Alas, up here in Canada I'm told we won't see it until the date really is 2013. A road trip south may be in order.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
    Why are bikes in Australia so cheap? They have the 0 for $7499 AUD, which converts to ~$7700 USD. The US retail price is $8900.

You know we are known as the Lucky Country!

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by stop619 View Post
    I can't get stoked on a $3k bike with X5 bits.
    Are you serious?? In case you haven't checked lately most $ 3k carbon bikes will buy you a frame only! I consider the X5 and everything else freebies at this level...
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    my husband and I are planning to pick up a pair of the Anthem X1 Advanced 29ers as soon as we can get them in stock here. We'll have to sell our 2009 AX 26ers too, but they were well loved.

Anyone on the boards actually seen one in person yet? We are set to demo a pair of Anthem X 29ers at the LBS (Full Cycle) this weekend but would like to know if anyone's ridden both yet, and are able to give insight on how the carbon model compares in weight, ride, etc.

Curious how these will compare to our aluminum 2009 model Anthem X0 (he) and X2 (me)... although I've put a full X0 drivetrain & Elixir CRs on mine and upgraded the wheelset to a pair of Cobalts so it's no longer "stock" in any sense.

Does anyone have the scoop on the Giant factory wheelsets? Before you get all snarky, I did poke around in that jillion page wheel thread, but the info in there on spec is pretty old and the thread in general is more like 200 posts of arguing about everyone's preferred ghetto tubeless homebrew setup. More interested to know actual specs and weight of the most current update factory PXC29-2 wheelsets, meaning: whether they've upgraded them since 2010, or if they're even worth bothering with to keep. If they're heavy, flexy pigs, we'd rather swap out immediately for something more race tuned. We both weigh <140 and race Sport/Expert level XC so this is our central role for these bikes.

thanks!
    Last edited by lonefrontranger; 07-12-2012 at 02:36 PM. Reason: i suck at math

mtbr member
    Got an Anthem X1 Advanced 29er being assembled for me at my local bike shop. They have one in stock also but it was the wrong size. The color is not my favorite but the component spec is right on the 1. Not sure on the PXC29-2's if they are any lighter then the prior models. My guess is they aren't super heavy but not as light as a decent set of aftermarket wheels.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by lonefrontranger View Post

Does anyone have the scoop on the Giant factory wheelsets? Before you get all snarky, I did poke around in that jillion page wheel thread, but the info in there on spec is pretty old and the thread in general is more like 200 posts of arguing about everyone's preferred ghetto tubeless homebrew setup. More interested to know actual specs and weight of the most current update factory PXC29-2 wheelsets, meaning: whether they've upgraded them since 2010, or if they're even worth bothering with to keep. If they're heavy, flexy pigs, we'd rather swap out immediately for something more race tuned. We both weigh <140 and race Sport/Expert level XC so this is our central role for these bikes.

thanks!
    I sold my Giant S-XC29-2 the PXC's should be a little lighter and stiffer. Honestly the SXC were not as terrible as a lot of low end factory wheels Ive replaced. I was able to cut almost 1.5 lbs with new pacenti Tl28's and going tubeless over the SXC. I personally always have to make wheels a priority, but if your just trail riding for fun the stock wheels should serve you well and save you mucho $

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    I sold my Giant S-XC29-2 the PXC's should be a little lighter and stiffer. Honestly the SXC were not as terrible as a lot of low end factory wheels Ive replaced. I was able to cut almost 1.5 lbs with new pacenti Tl28's and going tubeless over the SXC. I personally always have to make wheels a priority, but if your just trail riding for fun the stock wheels should serve you well and save you mucho $
    thanks - wheels are pretty much a priority for us as well. Typically what we'd do with a real pair of dogs that we'd have a hard time reselling is to set them up as bomber/winter wheels and just take the hit. If these are not worth reselling we'd do that. If we maybe able to get a couple hundred bucks out of them we'd rather go that way before we even get them dirty and put the cash towards the Stans/Mavic/Crank Bros higher end stuff we're planning to get anyway for racing.

we are not just trail riding for fun. our main focus for these bikes would be XC racing, stuff like Mountain States Cup and the Winter Park series. There's enough tech in the region and we are both old enough that we'd rather go 29er f/s than hardtail; we do some light enduro racing as well (FC 50, some of the Maverick series epics). Zero interest in doing park stuff, free riding or whatever the kids these days call it. In fact, I had an '08 Trance X for ~3 months and sold it to fund my AX; it was a fun bike on the Colorado Trail, but generally too heavy and not quick enough for what I ride 90% of the time, and no amount of upgrading would have gotten it where it needed to be.

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ha-evolution View Post
    The color is not my favorite but the component spec is right on the 1. Not sure on the PXC29-2's if they are any lighter then the prior models. My guess is they aren't super heavy but not as light as a decent set of aftermarket wheels.
    I am right there with you on the color; process blue has never been my fave. I really wish the colorway on the 2 was available without the associated component hit, but oh, well-- I already have several black-white-and-red bikes as it is, time for something different.

You'll have to update when you get the bike and get some time on it.

I guess our question on the wheelset is: is it more worth it to keep the stock wheelset as spare beaters or would they hold enough resale value to just strip and sell them unridden/undirtied. I suppose I could always ask the shop about swapping them out, too (craigslist is such a PITA these days).

~Reformed Mechanic~
    I guess our question on the wheelset is: is it more worth it to keep the stock wheelset as spare beaters or would they hold enough resale value to just strip and sell them unridden/undirtied. I suppose I could always ask the shop about swapping them out, too (craigslist is such a PITA these days).
    If you race then those wheels need to go

If it helps my unused 2012 S-XC29ers went on ebay for $100. If your lucky you might get $200 for the PXC's IMO its not worth selling them for that price. Keep them and use them for training and "fun". Then pickup your designated race wheels.

p.s at 26.5lbs I'm faster in every way on my AX29 then any of my 22-23lb race builds

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Myself and a neighbor have Anthem X1's on the way. Amped! I'm digging the color I live in S. Florida

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    the 2013 Trace 29er is stated to sport some all new giant wheels that are wider and tubeless ready - per the early specs being released on pinkbike, bikeradar etc... anticipate that the Anthems will see em at some point in the lineup

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    If you race then those wheels need to go

If it helps my unused 2012 S-XC29ers went on ebay for $100. If your lucky you might get $200 for the PXC's IMO its not worth selling them for that price. Keep them and use them for training and "fun". Then pickup your designated race wheels.

p.s at 26.5lbs I'm faster in every way on my AX29 then any of my 22-23lb race builds
    you guys rock, thanks!

yea I'm trying to convince the man of the house that reselling the stock wheels will be more of a PITA in the long run. That plus since this is our first ever foray into 29er territory, it will be nice to have spares. I don't quite think that part's sunk in yet. We have plenty of spare hoops for all our other whips (our garage resembles a bike shop but that's another issue).

I'm a LOT faster on my 25(ish) lb non-stock 2009 AX2 than I ever was on my super duper ultra flyweight XTR-everything sub-20 lb late 90s Klein hardtail with the 1200 gram wheelset. Trust me, I get it.

mtbr member
    Finally saw these 2 models at the bike shop (1 & 2 AX29er), stunning color scheme.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?-photo-6.jpg  

________
    11' Giant Talon 1
    11' Giant Anthem X 29er
    11' Giant Trance X2
    12' BMC Fourstroke FS02 XT
    13' Epic S-Works XX1

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    2012 models look dull compared to 2013...
    but still ride great!!
    ==============
    Anthem X 29er 0

MTB B'dos
    IMHO, it never hurts to have a spare set of wheels and since this is your first move into 29ers, that goes doubly. If it were me, I'd get the lightest race day wheels at your weight, drop the most weight I could, then set the stock wheels up with some heavier, everyday tyres to play and train on - nothing beats training on heavy wheels and then throwing on super light wheels to race.

you guys rock, thanks!

yea I'm trying to convince the man of the house that reselling the stock wheels will be more of a PITA in the long run. That plus since this is our first ever foray into 29er territory, it will be nice to have spares. I don't quite think that part's sunk in yet. We have plenty of spare hoops for all our other whips (our garage resembles a bike shop but that's another issue).

I'm a LOT faster on my 25(ish) lb non-stock 2009 AX2 than I ever was on my super duper ultra flyweight XTR-everything sub-20 lb late 90s Klein hardtail with the 1200 gram wheelset. Trust me, I get it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Prone To Internet Drama
    Nov 2008
    my husband and I are planning to pick up a pair of the Anthem X1 Advanced 29ers as soon as we can get them in stock here. We'll have to sell our 2009 AX 26ers too, but they were well loved.

Anyone on the boards actually seen one in person yet? We are set to demo a pair of Anthem X 29ers at the LBS (Full Cycle) this weekend but would like to know if anyone's ridden both yet, and are able to give insight on how the carbon model compares in weight, ride, etc.

Curious how these will compare to our aluminum 2009 model Anthem X0 (he) and X2 (me)... although I've put a full X0 drivetrain & Elixir CRs on mine and upgraded the wheelset to a pair of Cobalts so it's no longer "stock" in any sense.

thanks!
    All new Giant mtb wheelsets (on higher end bikes) are tubeless compatible starting this year, some already around but not advertised. The rim channel is small and they set up easy with a Stans conversion kit / rimstrip. They are not the lightest weight, but they are very stiff and durable IME.

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004

Giant Anthem X 29er demo (warning: long)

UPDATE and general impressions from Anthem X 29er demoland:

we demo'ed a pair of AX 29ers (not the Advanced cos they're not in stock/demo trim ANYWHERE to be had right now) yesterday. We do intend to purchase the Anthem X1 Advanced 29ers as soon as we can arrange budget/financing and place an order. Basically this model in our sizes (S and M) is not in stock anywhere in the region, and possibly not in the US. You have to actually put a deposit down and order one to get them, and delivery times are currently running weeks/months out from what we are told.

My husband demoed the alloy Anthem X2 29er. It's the black/white one with X5/X7 level components. His demo bike ran 3x10 gearing and the factory SXC29-2 wheelset.

I demoed the Women's model alloy AX 29er 0 (the black one with red links) in X9/X7 trim. It had 2x10 gearing and the nicer PXC29-2 wheelset that I believe is also stock on the AX1 Advanced 29er. I demoed this one as it was the only small size Anthem 29er the shop had available. Would much prefer to try a men's small, however they almost never run size in stock I've found (and particularly not in 29ers).

My husband currently has a top of the line 2009 Anthem X0 26" fully X0/XTR equipped bike now. I have a 2009 X2 26er, running a Cobalt wheelset and X0 everything else. Both of us replaced the controls (crank/seatpost/bars) with higher end carbon stuff and stock suspension. We're both on 3x9 with GripShift. All things considered, they are pretty nice bikes.

Observations are coming from a direct comparison via our Garmin datasets, i.e. they are 1:1 on an identical ride (the Heil + Wild Turkey loop). Trail conditions were similar on both rides and we were arguably much more tired during yesterday's demo owing to having done the Winter Park Valley PtP race the day before. Trails yesterday were quite a bit busier and we stopped repeatedly for downhill traffic, horses, hikers, a therapeutic ride team, to make bike adjustments, etc. It was very sandy and loose on the descents and in usual suspect areas yesterday (lots of sand pits on the top loop). We deliberately rode the west loop of Heil, which we have mostly avoided on the 26ers owing to the massive amount of loose rocks, sand traps and not-fun chunder on what would otherwise be a pretty flat, boring section of trail.

We sadly do not have power data available for these, but we both had speed and HR data from a ride some weeks ago on the identical track, using the 26ers, when we were fresher, not to mention it was about 20F cooler and the trail was not busy (early weekday afternoon).

OBSERVATIONS: Overall, despite being knackered and sore from the prior day's race, and not being on tubeless lightweight wheels, so stuck running high pressures on unfamiliar bikes... nevertheless, we were both able to ride much "easier" in our HR zones at the same speeds. Neither of us maxed HR or even spent much time at LT anywhere on yesterday's ride using the 29ers. Average speed was slightly higher on the 29ers, but not what I'd call statistically significant. The biggest tell was that our speed and our HR both were much less "peaky", being more consistent overall.

Both of our heart rate data showed about 10-15 bpm lower average. Part of this was deliberate - we just chose not to ride hard yesterday owing to heat, fatigue and being on loaner bikes. However it is noteworthy that despite deliberately going for a mellow ride, we maintained roughly the same average speed, with far less time at or even approaching Z4, and zero time over LT, while riding the 29ers. Both of us showed significantly more time at or below Z2 (i.e. in recovery zones) on the descents, which is likely a marker of being more relaxed and confident.

Aside from stops for traffic and random adjustment issues (which we can pinpoint via map data), there were no other stops/slowdowns; i.e. bailouts, using the 29ers. On the 26ers there are at least 4 areas I have never been able to reliably clean, or ride period, on this track, mainly owing to momentum I think. My husband was able to clean tough, techy left turn onto Wapiti which he's never made before on his 26er. On the 29er I was able to easily clean ride everything, no question, no hesitation, even the "scary bits". Max speeds on the faster sections were higher (at least 1mph higher) on the 29ers, pretty much everywhere. That to me is significant particularly on a hot day, on sandy loose conditions with a busy trail. It means we felt more in control. To be clear: we do not and will not ride out of control at any point and are very conscientious about yielding trail, so busy days will often see slower average speeds on our Garmin data.

I absolutely love 2x10 gearing. The ratios felt dead on perfect. The SRAM trigger shifters took some getting used to, and overall I'm not a fan. Very glad SRAM finally came through with 10v twist shifters, as we both prefer them.

I definitely do not care for women specific geometry, and that goes for any WSD I've ever tried (road, MTB or otherwise). The bike felt too short, too high in front, and subsequently "kitey" on the steeper, more technical climbs, even with the stem flipped negative and all the stack height removed (spacers on top). I had to really hump the nose of the saddle quite a bit to keep the front end down in some of the touch-and-go climbing. So I'm definitely going to hold out for the AX Advanced 1 in Small.

Wheels: The stock SXC29 wheels on my husband's demo bike felt pretty heavy, but they also had a heavier, beefier Continental Trail King tire on, so it's hard to tell. The women's bike ran Schwalbe Racing Ralphs and generally felt pretty decent. Run tubeless, I'd have no qualms racing them, although a set of "boutique" lightweight racing wheels would definitely be in the cards for both bikes once we've got them.

Both of us had issues with the demo q/r seatposts not holding, and wound up stopping multiple times to address a sinking seatpost. This is to be expected using demo bikes, as the number of adjustments will tend to stretch/loosen the q/r collar/bolts, so it's more of an aside than a criticism.

We both disliked the overly-wide handlebars, but that's a non-issue as we plan to replace the stock bars with carbon anyhow, and we have the appropriate blades & jig to cut them down.

I really liked the foam lockon grips on the AX0W - I have no idea if they're stock. If so, it's the first time I've ever liked factory grips, much less wanted them on my own bike.

The low end Elixirs on both demo bikes were horrible - noise, shudder, poorly adjusted, etc, but again this is often a demo-bike failing. We haven't had any issues with the highend level of Avid brakes we've been using over the years, so we're hoping that with the better spec on the AX Advanced 1 this will continue to be the case.

The thruaxles are nice, and we definitely appreciated the front-end stiffness they provide, but be warned that they are kind of a pain in the ass when you don't have rack mounts for them. We forgot about the thruaxle issue and wound up having to stick both bikes in the back of our Outback with a ratty old blanket in between, ghetto style. Yet another reason we're planning to get a hitch mount rack - our ancient Rocky Mounts trays are basically EOL anyhow.

Overall, both bikes felt considerably "lighter" on the climbs than their spec or actual weight. Both of us noted that the technique to keep the larger wheels from "stalling" was to ride one to two gears taller than we'd normally do. This is much easier to do even on the tough rocky sections, as the bikes preserve more momentum and generally roll better than the 26ers do. It's also easier to "rip n rail" through turns, berms, and whatnot owing to the greater stability and contact grip. I noticed I never used the granny at any point even though I was fatigued and on an unfamiliar 2x10 drivetrain. It's just much easier to maintain forward speed and keep pedaling. Neither of us noticed any higher rate of pedal strikes. I hit a pedal pretty hard once but it was entirely my fault and in identical circumstances on that particular move, I'd have had the same pedalstrike on any bike. I noted that owing to momentum it is much easier to ratchet and avoid strikes on the 29ers than it is my 26. I don't have to kick as hard to gain forward speed to ratchet over stuff, either.

My husband felt that the suspension setup on his bike may have been a tiny bit too stiff, and he also stopped once to let a bit of pressure off the front tire. Both bikes were way overpressure on tires, easily 40lb+ but again, not tubeless, so I didn't bother to let air off, not wanting a pinch flat since we didn't have spare tubes of the correct size.

The Maestro suspension, regardless of what configuration we've ridden it in, is dead-on perfect for us. I vastly preferred the feel of the rear platform on the Giant AX 29er to the Tallboy I demoed last month, but then, I've been on Maestro bikes since early 2008 and have no reason to change. There's no comparison whatsoever to the Gary Fisher Superfly 100 I tried last year; that bike just felt harsh no matter what.

Neither of us bothered to fiddle with the lockouts on the shocks, as it was not obvious to us how they worked; we are both used to our Fox RP2/23 shocks with the propedal levers. So we both rode the entire thing in the same setting on the rear, which, whatever it was, felt ideal (at least to me). Active, firm out of the saddle, not too squishy under pedal load, and plush on the rough stuff, stutter bumps and descents. Both the suspension platform and the geometry felt balanced, fast and agile, even on the more midrange X2 my husband rode. Again my only complaint was with the high, slightly kitey front end on the women's model, which would be addressed by going to the slightly longer men's frame. I can say we'd both be willing to race either of these bikes bone stock at the local XC races.

tl;dr: having now demo'ed a 29er full suspension bike that actually fits him and had correctly tuned suspension, my husband is now entirely convinced of the value of the 29er platform. We will save up our allowances so that we can both be racing Giant Anthem X1 Advanced bikes for the 2013 season.

Feel free to pile on / ask questions if you like.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    great and thorough - seemingly on the same page with your observations!! I found the setup for sus pressure and tires got better by dropping a bit - gained a bit of plush by dropping both frt/rr under "spec" for my weight - yet Im well within the sage btw 20-30% - if I need a bit more firm in the rear I simply flick the switch - that said - ive run all my local trails - falcon, lair, apex, 3 sisters, dedisse - in both open and proppedal modes - sometimes forget to switch, or think about it either in the climb or downhill and cant reach down safely - these bikes work and work great. I upgraded my wheelset and brakes (couldnt stand the elixrs so went XT and they are sooooo good for 2012). This bike freekin rocks - plain and simple - that said - im pretty anxious to throw a leg over the new trance 29er... if I've felt any limitations to the Anthem - its the lack of travel on the rocky chunk - Im no racer, but 5 or more of travel combined with efficient climbing sounds like the ultimate bike for me... as for tire pressure - i run somewhere in the 21frt/23rr range tubeless - and that really seems to take any "harsh" out of the bike (compared to 35-40lbs with tubes)

~Reformed Mechanic~
    UPDATE and general impressions from Anthem X 29er demoland:
    This would have been a great response to any of the 14 million "26er vs 29er" threads

Thanks for sharing

Your Best Friend
    This is killing me. My Anthem X29 Advanced 0 has been on order since the end of March and they have told me it won't be here until August. I've been riding an Athem X29 2 and 1 for the last 3 months and really like how they ride although I'm a weight weenie and the 28lb heft is killing me. I am most interested to see if the bike meets the weight projections posted in other reviews. They have said the medium X0 weighs 22.06lbs w/o pedals. I figure my XL w/ pedals should still be under 23lbs. That would make these bikes some of the lightest off the shelf FS 29ers available. I think the only one lighter is the S-Works Epic. When (and if) my bike comes in I'll post pictures of the build and weights of some of the specific parts. It will take some time before I post a full review because I feel it takes a bit before you truly know how a bike feels.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast