12' BMC Fourstroke FS02 XT
    11' Epic S-Works XX
    13' Epic S-Works XX1
    14' Epic S-Works WC XX1

mtbr member
    What are the changes?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I can't get stoked on a $3k bike with X5 bits.
    2012 Diamondback Podium 3
    2013 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO 29 - MIA
    2013 Giant Anthem X Advanced 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DerrickT View Post
    What are the changes?
    There are no changes - 2013 is the first year of the bike. It was basically an early release.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Why are bikes in Australia so cheap? They have the 0 for $7499 AUD, which converts to ~$7700 USD. The US retail price is $8900.

Alas, up here in Canada I'm told we won't see it until the date really is 2013. A road trip south may be in order.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
    Why are bikes in Australia so cheap? They have the 0 for $7499 AUD, which converts to ~$7700 USD. The US retail price is $8900.

You know we are known as the Lucky Country!

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by stop619 View Post
    I can't get stoked on a $3k bike with X5 bits.
    Are you serious?? In case you haven't checked lately most $ 3k carbon bikes will buy you a frame only! I consider the X5 and everything else freebies at this level...
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    my husband and I are planning to pick up a pair of the Anthem X1 Advanced 29ers as soon as we can get them in stock here. We'll have to sell our 2009 AX 26ers too, but they were well loved.

Anyone on the boards actually seen one in person yet? We are set to demo a pair of Anthem X 29ers at the LBS (Full Cycle) this weekend but would like to know if anyone's ridden both yet, and are able to give insight on how the carbon model compares in weight, ride, etc.

Curious how these will compare to our aluminum 2009 model Anthem X0 (he) and X2 (me)... although I've put a full X0 drivetrain & Elixir CRs on mine and upgraded the wheelset to a pair of Cobalts so it's no longer "stock" in any sense.

Does anyone have the scoop on the Giant factory wheelsets? Before you get all snarky, I did poke around in that jillion page wheel thread, but the info in there on spec is pretty old and the thread in general is more like 200 posts of arguing about everyone's preferred ghetto tubeless homebrew setup. More interested to know actual specs and weight of the most current update factory PXC29-2 wheelsets, meaning: whether they've upgraded them since 2010, or if they're even worth bothering with to keep. If they're heavy, flexy pigs, we'd rather swap out immediately for something more race tuned. We both weigh <140 and race Sport/Expert level XC so this is our central role for these bikes.

thanks!
    Last edited by lonefrontranger; 07-12-2012 at 02:36 PM. Reason: i suck at math

mtbr member
    Got an Anthem X1 Advanced 29er being assembled for me at my local bike shop. They have one in stock also but it was the wrong size. The color is not my favorite but the component spec is right on the 1. Not sure on the PXC29-2's if they are any lighter then the prior models. My guess is they aren't super heavy but not as light as a decent set of aftermarket wheels.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by lonefrontranger View Post

Does anyone have the scoop on the Giant factory wheelsets? Before you get all snarky, I did poke around in that jillion page wheel thread, but the info in there on spec is pretty old and the thread in general is more like 200 posts of arguing about everyone's preferred ghetto tubeless homebrew setup. More interested to know actual specs and weight of the most current update factory PXC29-2 wheelsets, meaning: whether they've upgraded them since 2010, or if they're even worth bothering with to keep. If they're heavy, flexy pigs, we'd rather swap out immediately for something more race tuned. We both weigh <140 and race Sport/Expert level XC so this is our central role for these bikes.

thanks!
    I sold my Giant S-XC29-2 the PXC's should be a little lighter and stiffer. Honestly the SXC were not as terrible as a lot of low end factory wheels Ive replaced. I was able to cut almost 1.5 lbs with new pacenti Tl28's and going tubeless over the SXC. I personally always have to make wheels a priority, but if your just trail riding for fun the stock wheels should serve you well and save you mucho $

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    I sold my Giant S-XC29-2 the PXC's should be a little lighter and stiffer. Honestly the SXC were not as terrible as a lot of low end factory wheels Ive replaced. I was able to cut almost 1.5 lbs with new pacenti Tl28's and going tubeless over the SXC. I personally always have to make wheels a priority, but if your just trail riding for fun the stock wheels should serve you well and save you mucho $
    thanks - wheels are pretty much a priority for us as well. Typically what we'd do with a real pair of dogs that we'd have a hard time reselling is to set them up as bomber/winter wheels and just take the hit. If these are not worth reselling we'd do that. If we maybe able to get a couple hundred bucks out of them we'd rather go that way before we even get them dirty and put the cash towards the Stans/Mavic/Crank Bros higher end stuff we're planning to get anyway for racing.

we are not just trail riding for fun. our main focus for these bikes would be XC racing, stuff like Mountain States Cup and the Winter Park series. There's enough tech in the region and we are both old enough that we'd rather go 29er f/s than hardtail; we do some light enduro racing as well (FC 50, some of the Maverick series epics). Zero interest in doing park stuff, free riding or whatever the kids these days call it. In fact, I had an '08 Trance X for ~3 months and sold it to fund my AX; it was a fun bike on the Colorado Trail, but generally too heavy and not quick enough for what I ride 90% of the time, and no amount of upgrading would have gotten it where it needed to be.

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ha-evolution View Post
    The color is not my favorite but the component spec is right on the 1. Not sure on the PXC29-2's if they are any lighter then the prior models. My guess is they aren't super heavy but not as light as a decent set of aftermarket wheels.
    I am right there with you on the color; process blue has never been my fave. I really wish the colorway on the 2 was available without the associated component hit, but oh, well-- I already have several black-white-and-red bikes as it is, time for something different.

You'll have to update when you get the bike and get some time on it.

I guess our question on the wheelset is: is it more worth it to keep the stock wheelset as spare beaters or would they hold enough resale value to just strip and sell them unridden/undirtied. I suppose I could always ask the shop about swapping them out, too (craigslist is such a PITA these days).

~Reformed Mechanic~
    I guess our question on the wheelset is: is it more worth it to keep the stock wheelset as spare beaters or would they hold enough resale value to just strip and sell them unridden/undirtied. I suppose I could always ask the shop about swapping them out, too (craigslist is such a PITA these days).
    If you race then those wheels need to go

If it helps my unused 2012 S-XC29ers went on ebay for $100. If your lucky you might get $200 for the PXC's IMO its not worth selling them for that price. Keep them and use them for training and "fun". Then pickup your designated race wheels.

p.s at 26.5lbs I'm faster in every way on my AX29 then any of my 22-23lb race builds

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Myself and a neighbor have Anthem X1's on the way. Amped! I'm digging the color I live in S. Florida

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    the 2013 Trace 29er is stated to sport some all new giant wheels that are wider and tubeless ready - per the early specs being released on pinkbike, bikeradar etc... anticipate that the Anthems will see em at some point in the lineup

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    If you race then those wheels need to go

If it helps my unused 2012 S-XC29ers went on ebay for $100. If your lucky you might get $200 for the PXC's IMO its not worth selling them for that price. Keep them and use them for training and "fun". Then pickup your designated race wheels.

p.s at 26.5lbs I'm faster in every way on my AX29 then any of my 22-23lb race builds
    you guys rock, thanks!

yea I'm trying to convince the man of the house that reselling the stock wheels will be more of a PITA in the long run. That plus since this is our first ever foray into 29er territory, it will be nice to have spares. I don't quite think that part's sunk in yet. We have plenty of spare hoops for all our other whips (our garage resembles a bike shop but that's another issue).

I'm a LOT faster on my 25(ish) lb non-stock 2009 AX2 than I ever was on my super duper ultra flyweight XTR-everything sub-20 lb late 90s Klein hardtail with the 1200 gram wheelset. Trust me, I get it.

mtbr member
    Finally saw these 2 models at the bike shop (1 & 2 AX29er), stunning color scheme.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?-photo-6.jpg  

________
    11' Epic S-Works XX
    13' Epic S-Works XX1
    14' Epic S-Works WC XX1

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    2012 models look dull compared to 2013...
    but still ride great!!
    ==============
    Anthem X 29er 0

MTB B'dos
    IMHO, it never hurts to have a spare set of wheels and since this is your first move into 29ers, that goes doubly. If it were me, I'd get the lightest race day wheels at your weight, drop the most weight I could, then set the stock wheels up with some heavier, everyday tyres to play and train on - nothing beats training on heavy wheels and then throwing on super light wheels to race.

you guys rock, thanks!

yea I'm trying to convince the man of the house that reselling the stock wheels will be more of a PITA in the long run. That plus since this is our first ever foray into 29er territory, it will be nice to have spares. I don't quite think that part's sunk in yet. We have plenty of spare hoops for all our other whips (our garage resembles a bike shop but that's another issue).

I'm a LOT faster on my 25(ish) lb non-stock 2009 AX2 than I ever was on my super duper ultra flyweight XTR-everything sub-20 lb late 90s Klein hardtail with the 1200 gram wheelset. Trust me, I get it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados

Prone To Internet Drama
    Nov 2008
    my husband and I are planning to pick up a pair of the Anthem X1 Advanced 29ers as soon as we can get them in stock here. We'll have to sell our 2009 AX 26ers too, but they were well loved.

Anyone on the boards actually seen one in person yet? We are set to demo a pair of Anthem X 29ers at the LBS (Full Cycle) this weekend but would like to know if anyone's ridden both yet, and are able to give insight on how the carbon model compares in weight, ride, etc.

Curious how these will compare to our aluminum 2009 model Anthem X0 (he) and X2 (me)... although I've put a full X0 drivetrain & Elixir CRs on mine and upgraded the wheelset to a pair of Cobalts so it's no longer "stock" in any sense.

thanks!
    All new Giant mtb wheelsets (on higher end bikes) are tubeless compatible starting this year, some already around but not advertised. The rim channel is small and they set up easy with a Stans conversion kit / rimstrip. They are not the lightest weight, but they are very stiff and durable IME.

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004

Giant Anthem X 29er demo (warning: long)

UPDATE and general impressions from Anthem X 29er demoland:

we demo'ed a pair of AX 29ers (not the Advanced cos they're not in stock/demo trim ANYWHERE to be had right now) yesterday. We do intend to purchase the Anthem X1 Advanced 29ers as soon as we can arrange budget/financing and place an order. Basically this model in our sizes (S and M) is not in stock anywhere in the region, and possibly not in the US. You have to actually put a deposit down and order one to get them, and delivery times are currently running weeks/months out from what we are told.

My husband demoed the alloy Anthem X2 29er. It's the black/white one with X5/X7 level components. His demo bike ran 3x10 gearing and the factory SXC29-2 wheelset.

I demoed the Women's model alloy AX 29er 0 (the black one with red links) in X9/X7 trim. It had 2x10 gearing and the nicer PXC29-2 wheelset that I believe is also stock on the AX1 Advanced 29er. I demoed this one as it was the only small size Anthem 29er the shop had available. Would much prefer to try a men's small, however they almost never run size in stock I've found (and particularly not in 29ers).

My husband currently has a top of the line 2009 Anthem X0 26" fully X0/XTR equipped bike now. I have a 2009 X2 26er, running a Cobalt wheelset and X0 everything else. Both of us replaced the controls (crank/seatpost/bars) with higher end carbon stuff and stock suspension. We're both on 3x9 with GripShift. All things considered, they are pretty nice bikes.

Observations are coming from a direct comparison via our Garmin datasets, i.e. they are 1:1 on an identical ride (the Heil + Wild Turkey loop). Trail conditions were similar on both rides and we were arguably much more tired during yesterday's demo owing to having done the Winter Park Valley PtP race the day before. Trails yesterday were quite a bit busier and we stopped repeatedly for downhill traffic, horses, hikers, a therapeutic ride team, to make bike adjustments, etc. It was very sandy and loose on the descents and in usual suspect areas yesterday (lots of sand pits on the top loop). We deliberately rode the west loop of Heil, which we have mostly avoided on the 26ers owing to the massive amount of loose rocks, sand traps and not-fun chunder on what would otherwise be a pretty flat, boring section of trail.

We sadly do not have power data available for these, but we both had speed and HR data from a ride some weeks ago on the identical track, using the 26ers, when we were fresher, not to mention it was about 20°F cooler and the trail was not busy (early weekday afternoon).

OBSERVATIONS: Overall, despite being knackered and sore from the prior day's race, and not being on tubeless lightweight wheels, so stuck running high pressures on unfamiliar bikes... nevertheless, we were both able to ride much "easier" in our HR zones at the same speeds. Neither of us maxed HR or even spent much time at LT anywhere on yesterday's ride using the 29ers. Average speed was slightly higher on the 29ers, but not what I'd call statistically significant. The biggest tell was that our speed and our HR both were much less "peaky", being more consistent overall.

Both of our heart rate data showed about 10-15 bpm lower average. Part of this was deliberate - we just chose not to ride hard yesterday owing to heat, fatigue and being on loaner bikes. However it is noteworthy that despite deliberately going for a mellow ride, we maintained roughly the same average speed, with far less time at or even approaching Z4, and zero time over LT, while riding the 29ers. Both of us showed significantly more time at or below Z2 (i.e. in recovery zones) on the descents, which is likely a marker of being more relaxed and confident.

Aside from stops for traffic and random adjustment issues (which we can pinpoint via map data), there were no other stops/slowdowns; i.e. bailouts, using the 29ers. On the 26ers there are at least 4 areas I have never been able to reliably clean, or ride period, on this track, mainly owing to momentum I think. My husband was able to clean tough, techy left turn onto Wapiti which he's never made before on his 26er. On the 29er I was able to easily clean ride everything, no question, no hesitation, even the "scary bits". Max speeds on the faster sections were higher (at least 1mph higher) on the 29ers, pretty much everywhere. That to me is significant particularly on a hot day, on sandy loose conditions with a busy trail. It means we felt more in control. To be clear: we do not and will not ride out of control at any point and are very conscientious about yielding trail, so busy days will often see slower average speeds on our Garmin data.

I absolutely love 2x10 gearing. The ratios felt dead on perfect. The SRAM trigger shifters took some getting used to, and overall I'm not a fan. Very glad SRAM finally came through with 10v twist shifters, as we both prefer them.

I definitely do not care for women specific geometry, and that goes for any WSD I've ever tried (road, MTB or otherwise). The bike felt too short, too high in front, and subsequently "kitey" on the steeper, more technical climbs, even with the stem flipped negative and all the stack height removed (spacers on top). I had to really hump the nose of the saddle quite a bit to keep the front end down in some of the touch-and-go climbing. So I'm definitely going to hold out for the AX Advanced 1 in Small.

Wheels: The stock SXC29 wheels on my husband's demo bike felt pretty heavy, but they also had a heavier, beefier Continental Trail King tire on, so it's hard to tell. The women's bike ran Schwalbe Racing Ralphs and generally felt pretty decent. Run tubeless, I'd have no qualms racing them, although a set of "boutique" lightweight racing wheels would definitely be in the cards for both bikes once we've got them.

Both of us had issues with the demo q/r seatposts not holding, and wound up stopping multiple times to address a sinking seatpost. This is to be expected using demo bikes, as the number of adjustments will tend to stretch/loosen the q/r collar/bolts, so it's more of an aside than a criticism.

We both disliked the overly-wide handlebars, but that's a non-issue as we plan to replace the stock bars with carbon anyhow, and we have the appropriate blades & jig to cut them down.

I really liked the foam lockon grips on the AX0W - I have no idea if they're stock. If so, it's the first time I've ever liked factory grips, much less wanted them on my own bike.

The low end Elixirs on both demo bikes were horrible - noise, shudder, poorly adjusted, etc, but again this is often a demo-bike failing. We haven't had any issues with the highend level of Avid brakes we've been using over the years, so we're hoping that with the better spec on the AX Advanced 1 this will continue to be the case.

The thruaxles are nice, and we definitely appreciated the front-end stiffness they provide, but be warned that they are kind of a pain in the ass when you don't have rack mounts for them. We forgot about the thruaxle issue and wound up having to stick both bikes in the back of our Outback with a ratty old blanket in between, ghetto style. Yet another reason we're planning to get a hitch mount rack - our ancient Rocky Mounts trays are basically EOL anyhow.

Overall, both bikes felt considerably "lighter" on the climbs than their spec or actual weight. Both of us noted that the technique to keep the larger wheels from "stalling" was to ride one to two gears taller than we'd normally do. This is much easier to do even on the tough rocky sections, as the bikes preserve more momentum and generally roll better than the 26ers do. It's also easier to "rip n rail" through turns, berms, and whatnot owing to the greater stability and contact grip. I noticed I never used the granny at any point even though I was fatigued and on an unfamiliar 2x10 drivetrain. It's just much easier to maintain forward speed and keep pedaling. Neither of us noticed any higher rate of pedal strikes. I hit a pedal pretty hard once but it was entirely my fault and in identical circumstances on that particular move, I'd have had the same pedalstrike on any bike. I noted that owing to momentum it is much easier to ratchet and avoid strikes on the 29ers than it is my 26. I don't have to kick as hard to gain forward speed to ratchet over stuff, either.

My husband felt that the suspension setup on his bike may have been a tiny bit too stiff, and he also stopped once to let a bit of pressure off the front tire. Both bikes were way overpressure on tires, easily 40lb+ but again, not tubeless, so I didn't bother to let air off, not wanting a pinch flat since we didn't have spare tubes of the correct size.

The Maestro suspension, regardless of what configuration we've ridden it in, is dead-on perfect for us. I vastly preferred the feel of the rear platform on the Giant AX 29er to the Tallboy I demoed last month, but then, I've been on Maestro bikes since early 2008 and have no reason to change. There's no comparison whatsoever to the Gary Fisher Superfly 100 I tried last year; that bike just felt harsh no matter what.

Neither of us bothered to fiddle with the lockouts on the shocks, as it was not obvious to us how they worked; we are both used to our Fox RP2/23 shocks with the propedal levers. So we both rode the entire thing in the same setting on the rear, which, whatever it was, felt ideal (at least to me). Active, firm out of the saddle, not too squishy under pedal load, and plush on the rough stuff, stutter bumps and descents. Both the suspension platform and the geometry felt balanced, fast and agile, even on the more midrange X2 my husband rode. Again my only complaint was with the high, slightly kitey front end on the women's model, which would be addressed by going to the slightly longer men's frame. I can say we'd both be willing to race either of these bikes bone stock at the local XC races.

tl;dr: having now demo'ed a 29er full suspension bike that actually fits him and had correctly tuned suspension, my husband is now entirely convinced of the value of the 29er platform. We will save up our allowances so that we can both be racing Giant Anthem X1 Advanced bikes for the 2013 season.

Feel free to pile on / ask questions if you like.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    great and thorough - seemingly on the same page with your observations!! I found the setup for sus pressure and tires got better by dropping a bit - gained a bit of plush by dropping both frt/rr under "spec" for my weight - yet Im well within the sage btw 20-30% - if I need a bit more firm in the rear I simply flick the switch - that said - ive run all my local trails - falcon, lair, apex, 3 sisters, dedisse - in both open and proppedal modes - sometimes forget to switch, or think about it either in the climb or downhill and cant reach down safely - these bikes work and work great. I upgraded my wheelset and brakes (couldnt stand the elixrs so went XT and they are sooooo good for 2012). This bike freekin rocks - plain and simple - that said - im pretty anxious to throw a leg over the new trance 29er... if I've felt any limitations to the Anthem - its the lack of travel on the rocky chunk - Im no racer, but 5 or more of travel combined with efficient climbing sounds like the ultimate bike for me... as for tire pressure - i run somewhere in the 21frt/23rr range tubeless - and that really seems to take any "harsh" out of the bike (compared to 35-40lbs with tubes)

~Reformed Mechanic~
    UPDATE and general impressions from Anthem X 29er demoland:
    This would have been a great response to any of the 14 million "26er vs 29er" threads

Thanks for sharing

Your Best Friend
    This is killing me. My Anthem X29 Advanced 0 has been on order since the end of March and they have told me it won't be here until August. I've been riding an Athem X29 2 and 1 for the last 3 months and really like how they ride although I'm a weight weenie and the 28lb heft is killing me. I am most interested to see if the bike meets the weight projections posted in other reviews. They have said the medium X0 weighs 22.06lbs w/o pedals. I figure my XL w/ pedals should still be under 23lbs. That would make these bikes some of the lightest off the shelf FS 29ers available. I think the only one lighter is the S-Works Epic. When (and if) my bike comes in I'll post pictures of the build and weights of some of the specific parts. It will take some time before I post a full review because I feel it takes a bit before you truly know how a bike feels.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    You could probably get the Advanced 0 XL under 23 pounds running tubeless but it's a challenge with the carbon wheels per my LBS. I am enjoying my X1 but have only ridden it twice and don't have a solid opinion of it yet - it is a big improvement over my Anthem X1 26er though. Weight with Mavic SLR wheels, XT brakes and pedals is 24.8 lbs.

Your Best Friend
    Going tubeless doesn't save a significant amount of weight, especially when using high end wheels/tires/tubes although that is the first upgrade I will do. I don't think an XL will add half a pound of carbon in the front tri (rear tri is exactly the same) and my pedals weigh less than 1/2 a pound. Glad you like your X1.

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    I think the only one lighter is the S-Works Epic. When (and if) my bike comes in I'll post pictures of the build and weights of some of the specific parts. It will take some time before I post a full review because I feel it takes a bit before you truly know how a bike feels.
    that S-Works Epic costs about as much as my parents spent on their first house (granted that was back in the 70s but still, come ON). I know it's a niche market, but that's unreal. I have a Specialized cross bike that I like very much, but I've never really cottoned onto their rear suspension platform on their XC dual suspension bikes anyway. Different strokes.

for less than what you'd spend for one of those, we're getting a pair of the AX Advanced 1s, with enough left over for nice racing wheelsets (kudos to everyone on the thread who said to keep the stock ones; I agree - husband just needed to see it justified I think).

Looking forward to seeing pics, and hearing both your first impressions, and a longer term review Silentfoe!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancity View Post

Alas, up here in Canada I'm told we won't see it until the date really is 2013. A road trip south may be in order.
    2012 Anthem X 29er is about US$2900 in HK while the MSRP in US is $3800
    2013 price list isn't out yet

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    I found the setup for sus pressure and tires got better by dropping a bit - gained a bit of plush by dropping both frt/rr under "spec" for my weight
    good recommendations! I've found with the Maestros I've had (Trance X, Anthem X, both 26ers) the key to the suspension setup is mainly balance and then getting the rebound damping right. On my current bike I do prefer to run the rear locked much of the time, particularly while climbing, and only open it up on longer rougher descents or technical bits. It took me a couple tries of fiddling on both my prior and current Giants to get the rebound sussed out too; on the Trance particularly if it was setup too slow, the whole bike felt like it was dragging a load. On the AX 29er, even for a demo, the rear felt properly sorted out of the gate, with the shock setup to a stock weight setting and neutral on the propedal. I didn't even bother to try to figure out how the propedal worked, it was just that good.

tires do make a huge difference. There is no comparison between running a lightweight supple XC tire (Aspen, Racing Ralph, Small Block 8, whatever) tubeless at ~23 psi versus a stiffer cheaper tire using tubes and pumped up to 40. You want a laugh, back in the 90s we'd all ride these insane-o 1.7 or 1.9 bald centre skinnies on uber stiff hardtails, pumped up to around 55 to race in the Midwest, but then the XC races in that region offered about as much technical challenge as a bike lane (when the whole course wasn't a foot deep in mud, that is).

it sounds as tho you are solving a similar equation from a slightly different starting point; it sounds as if you are someone who prefers more of a trail / AM ride (and you're likely a better technical rider than either of us, too) who's looking for greater speed and weight savings from a do-it-all machine. Our approach is more that of being roadies and ex hardtail XC racers looking for help in the rough stuff and greater comfort in the saddle on longer, more technical trails and race days. ...that plus neither of us is in our 20s anymore and the sore back thing gets old.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    This is killing me. My Anthem X29 Advanced 0 has been on order since the end of March and they have told me it won't be here until August. I've been riding an Athem X29 2 and 1 for the last 3 months and really like how they ride although I'm a weight weenie and the 28lb heft is killing me. I am most interested to see if the bike meets the weight projections posted in other reviews. They have said the medium X0 weighs 22.06lbs w/o pedals. I figure my XL w/ pedals should still be under 23lbs. That would make these bikes some of the lightest off the shelf FS 29ers available. I think the only one lighter is the S-Works Epic. When (and if) my bike comes in I'll post pictures of the build and weights of some of the specific parts. It will take some time before I post a full review because I feel it takes a bit before you truly know how a bike feels.
    Silent - Here I thought you were sporting your new whip already! I recall reading way back when your order on it... Bummer everyone is having to wait so long... I too am a bit of a ww and would never tolerate a 28lb anthem either.

Like you mine was an X2 build and by simply putting on my Pacenti's/I9's (which are far from light) my normal saddle (275 grams), and egg beaters Its now just over 26 lbs... I can live with that weight considering its my "Beat around bike" everything else Is stock, except grips and handle bar but no weight saving there...

Anyway, the claim is that the carbon frame is .41lbs lighter than the Aluxx frame, however the Aluxx frame is LIGHT to begin with! Almost as light as some carbon frames at 5.2lbs!! Which means, if one were so inclined, they could build a light race bike out of the Alum frame also and would never be more than .5lb heavier than the Advanced. So 23lbs should be easy and relatively cheap on the Alu version if one was so inclined...

Im not saying there is no reason for an Advanced of course, being a large fan of carbon myself the added rigidity is a huge plus. I can't wait to hear some ride reports

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    good recommendations! I've found with the Maestros I've had (Trance X, Anthem X, both 26ers) the key to the suspension setup is mainly balance and then getting the rebound damping right. On my current bike I do prefer to run the rear locked much of the time, particularly while climbing, and only open it up on longer rougher descents or technical bits. It took me a couple tries of fiddling on both my prior and current Giants to get the rebound sussed out too; on the Trance particularly if it was setup too slow, the whole bike felt like it was dragging a load. On the AX 29er, even for a demo, the rear felt properly sorted out of the gate, with the shock setup to a stock weight setting and neutral on the propedal. I didn't even bother to try to figure out how the propedal worked, it was just that good.

NO doubt about it - mine worked well from the get go - even better once I tuned it just as you state!!

tires do make a huge difference. There is no comparison between running a lightweight supple XC tire (Aspen, Racing Ralph, Small Block 8, whatever) tubeless at ~23 psi versus a stiffer cheaper tire using tubes and pumped up to 40. You want a laugh, back in the 90s we'd all ride these insane-o 1.7 or 1.9 bald centre skinnies on uber stiff hardtails, pumped up to around 55 to race in the Midwest, but then the XC races in that region offered about as much technical challenge as a bike lane (when the whole course wasn't a foot deep in mud, that is).

Midwest? Sconnie by chance? I bought my first mt bike in College in Lacrosse in the 80's - not a lot of trails but yeah - what rode than (and loved) compared to now - yikes!

it sounds as tho you are solving a similar equation from a slightly different starting point; it sounds as if you are someone who prefers more of a trail / AM ride (and you're likely a better technical rider than either of us, too) who's looking for greater speed and weight savings from a do-it-all machine. Our approach is more that of being roadies and ex hardtail XC racers looking for help in the rough stuff and greater comfort in the saddle on longer, more technical trails and race days. ...that plus neither of us is in our 20s anymore and the sore back thing gets old.
    the AX29 is an amazing bike, iI've stated many times it rides way bigger than its spec would suggest. don't know i'd be any better a rider than you - ha - but the trance for a non-racer guy who will consistently ride some burly trails looks very intrgiuing and I seem to be afflicted with the new bike want syndrome too frequently!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    So 23lbs should be easy and relatively cheap on the Alu version if one was so inclined...
    How are some of you achieving such weights on your aluminum AX 29ers?

I started with a 2012 AX 29er 1 and have since swapped out just about everything for lighter stuff:

- Chris King hubs (ISO 15mm SD front, 135QR rear) laced to Stans ZTR Crest rims w/ DT Super Comp spokes and alloy nipples (about 1600g)
    - Racing Ralphs running tubeless with 1.5 oz of sealant
    - X0 2x10 FD, RD, carbon cranks, shifters, brakes (HS1 rotor 180/160 F/R)
    - XX 11-36T cassette (208g), 1091R chain
    - Easton EC70 XC bar (155g), ESI silicone grips (60g)
    - Crank Brothers Cobalt 11 seatpost (157g)
    - XT SPD pedals (352g)

The frame is a small and with all of the above components, tips the scales at exactly 25.0 pounds. The biggest weight savings were by far the wheels, carbon bars/post, and cassette. I could probably stand to use lighter pedals and a saddle...

But sub-23 pounds is another 900g away! How the heck is one supposed to shave almost another kliogram?

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by davecheng View Post

I started with a 2012 AX 29er 1 and have since swapped out just about everything for lighter stuff:

- Chris King hubs (ISO 15mm SD front, 135QR rear) laced to Stans ZTR Crest rims w/ DT Super Comp spokes and alloy nipples (about 1600g)
    - XT SPD pedals (352g)

The frame is a small and with all of the above components, tips the scales at exactly 25.0 pounds. The biggest weight savings were by far the wheels, carbon bars/post, and cassette. I could probably stand to use lighter pedals and a saddle...

But sub-23 pounds is another 900g away! How the heck is one supposed to shave almost another kliogram?
    Being a WW, let me help you out. CK hubs are not light and while super nice, shouldn't be used as a weight reducing measure. I picked up some American Classic Race 29er wheels and they weighed in at 1420g w/15mm front and 10mm rear axles. Thats 180g (more than 1/4lbs) lighter than yours.

XT pedals are not light. I use Xpedo Titanium pedals at 210g. That is 142g lighter than yours (another 1/4lb).

You could also drop your front rotor to a 160 and also lose the adapter. I weigh 200lbs and never use a 180 and I do some crazy races.

You see where I am going? Bit by bit it all adds up.

Epic rider
    My AX29 large weighs 10.9 kg, everything swapped from stock.
    I could get it at 10.0 kg, but it would cost 1500 euro... 10.3 kg would cost 900 euro. My CK wheels would need to go either way.
    So, it all depends on your budget and intended use. Obviously, making the right choices first time is important too, could save some money.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9100 met Tapatalk
    12 Anthem X29
    13 XTC 29

07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by davecheng View Post

- XT SPD pedals (352g)

You just explained exactly why I no longer use components above X9 level or kill myself over a few grams.

I have a stock medium X2 build and all I did was replace the wheels and its 26.4lbs I dont even want to know what it cost you total to get yours to 25lbs... Cause Ive been there...

Once you get past a certain level shaving a couple grams at a time just is not worth the astronomical prices IMO...

Having said that 23lbs is still very achievable for an Anthem and it takes shaving those few grams over many parts to add up.

WillWorkForTrail
    Does anyone know if the Anthem X 29er 2 spec changed any from 2012 to 2013? I realize this thread speaks mostly to the "Advanced" but I'm talking AL because it's been mentioned a few times in the thread. I'm looking at one, and my shop is indicating that the '12's are out of stock in XL, and I'll have to wait for a 13.

Your Best Friend
    Cotharyus: Pm sent.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Im also interested in news about AL x29 0&1 if they going to chane specs from Sram/rockshox to Shimano/fox! So I lnow if i should find a 2012 or wait for 2013.

carbon classic
    Jul 2011

2013 Anthem x29er's

Basic specification details and Australian pricing is starting to emerge for 2013 AX29er's including women's models.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?-2013_perf_earlyrelease-2.jpg  

carbon classic
    Jul 2011

Anthem x29er - 0 (2013)

Anthem x29er - 0 (2013)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

WillWorkForTrail
    That's interesting. They're no longer showing a 2 on there. Hmm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Interesting to see that the x0 has the new P-XCR wheelset, whereas the x1 retains the P-XC2.

I wonder if they'll have a 24/38 crankset on them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Should I wait for 2013 Anthem X 29er 1 or buy a 2012? From what I see above they switched from SRAM x7 / x9 to shimano slx / deore xt, is that the only difference?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JPelletier View Post
    Should I wait for 2013 Anthem X 29er 1 or buy a 2012? From what I see above they switched from SRAM x7 / x9 to shimano slx / deore xt, is that the only difference?
    It looks like the 2013 X1 has the new CTD (Climb, Trail, Descend) Fork and I imagine there'll be a Fox Fox Float CTD Boostvalve replacing the RP2 on the rear. I'm not aware of Shimano doing anything smaller than 26/38 on the 2x10 so the gearing should be the same.

WillWorkForTrail
    Keep in mind the sheet above is for Australian specs, it could be different for US spec bikes. I'm in a must-wait situation because there are no more of the bike I wanted in my size.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Holy crap!

The X1 model looks really ugly... and with SLX cranks.

Anyone been able to get full specs?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?-imag0307.jpg  

WillWorkForTrail
    No, still no information available at my LBS right now. Where ever those bikes were for sale should have a full catalog though. Is that an X2 behind it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The pic is from a google search, e-mail sent to the shop owner. Yepp, must be a X2 in the background, looks way better then the X1.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by plupp View Post
    The pic is from a google search, e-mail sent to the shop owner. Yepp, must be a X2 in the background, looks way better then the X1.
    110% agree, I'll be upgrading to the X2 soon or a 2011 S Works. Decision.......
    ________
    11' Epic S-Works XX
    13' Epic S-Works XX1
    14' Epic S-Works WC XX1

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Go get the cheapest and then upgrade the drivetrain when budget permits.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Cotharyus: Pm sent.
    Silent - You riding your new carbon whip yet? do tell!

Your Best Friend
    Silent - You riding your new carbon whip yet? do tell!
    Good and bad news...

Good news, I was just notified today that it will be here Monday, the 10th. It's on the truck!

Bad news, I leave Saturday the 8th for two weeks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm in Australia and just picked up my X1 today, i think it looks way better in person, it's my first 29er too. I've just got to work, it's on the bike rack in the car park, boot full of tools and i'm heading out to the trails after work today for a set up/shake down ride!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    oh and i paid $2450 for it, i could have got it for $2160 cash but i had to do a payment plan unfortunately.
    it has a 24t smaller ring FYI.

WillWorkForTrail
    I'm waiting (impatiently) for my LBS to tell me my X2 is on the way. Days like today (when I rode 16 miles on a rigid SS yesterday) I'd love to have this bike here already for a less punishing ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    here's the first pic of mine in the Aussie bush, doing a shakedown test ride at the track for the Flight Centre Epic next week, nothing like making "Zahelu" with the new ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Finally Here!!

22.75 Lbs as you see it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?-anthem-x-advanced-0.jpg  

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by 40Lucky View Post
    22.75 Lbs as you see it.
    Im so glad Giant spec'd these properly. SID + RT3

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Any word on if the 2013 Anthems have dropper cable routing?
    Current:
    2013 Giant Trance X2 29er

Previous:
    2012.5 Giant Anthem X4 29er (SOLD)
    2013 Giant Trance X1 29er (SOLD)

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Im so glad Giant spec'd these properly. SID + RT3
    Is the SID RL that much better than Fox CTD Evo?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JTAC View Post
    Any word on if the 2013 Anthems have dropper cable routing?
    my x29er 1 does.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    my x29er 1 does.
    I wish my 2012 did. Oh well, zipties work fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Is the SID RL that much better than Fox CTD Evo?

Good question. I'd also like to know what those with experience of current forks and shocks think of these two technologies.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    my x29er 1 does.

Could you please take a picture of this?

I was disappointed that the 2012 models didn't get this. But adhesive cable guides work for a clean/sleek look.
    Current:

Previous:

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    weird view, bike is hanging up, taken from under the top tube.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    That looks really good. That settles it. I am getting a 2013 X4.
    Current:

Previous:

Your Best Friend

Her first 20 feet of dirt

Had an awesome fall ride yesterday and broke her in pretty good. Just in time as a storm broke today. Need to knock out some more miles before the 24 hours of Moab.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?-her-first-20-feet.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Had an awesome fall ride yesterday and broke her in pretty good. Just in time as a storm broke today. Need to knock out some more miles before the 24 hours of Moab.
    Silntfoe
    Can You give us Your impressions about RS combo. I'm wondering if RS setup is better/more suitable for Maestro. What's Your feeling about solo-air and small bump sensitivity.

Your Best Friend
    I've now ridden three diferent Anthems since last March. A 2012 Anthem X29er 2, a 1, and now an Advanced 0. The 2 and the 0 each used RS front and rear. The 1 was Fox f&r.

Without a doubt, even on the cheaper Anthem, the RS stuff made the bike work better. Don't really know what it is. The Monarch just has a better platform for the Maestro.

I've used several high end forks from both brands and I've found that I like how the RS ride much better. Once you learn how to set up the dual air, they are incredible. I think RS is making a huge mistake going to solo air. Being able to tune the negative air pressure really makes a difference in small bump compliance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've now ridden three diferent Anthems since last March. A 2012 Anthem X29er 2, a 1, and now an Advanced 0. The 2 and the 0 each used RS front and rear. The 1 was Fox f&r.

Without a doubt, even on the cheaper Anthem, the RS stuff made the bike work better. Don't really know what it is. The Monarch just has a better platform for the Maestro.

I've used several high end forks from both brands and I've found that I like how the RS ride much better. Once you learn how to set up the dual air, they are incredible. I think RS is making a huge mistake going to solo air. Being able to tune the negative air pressure really makes a difference in small bump compliance.
    The solo-air well i think we must wait for fist impressions, many bikers here spent months on testing trying different settings and some of them give up and some found their preeure. In my case it took 4 months. Maybe now it will be more set-forget...

Regardng RS-FOX

This is one of most usefull comments for me. Thanks. Drilling more can You explain in what way the RS was better, what are in your opinion the reasons thatRS suits Maesto better. Stiffer,more aggressive less plush, more progressive or maybe bike felt more like hardtail with RS?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Well, taken the plunge and ordered the 2013 Anthem X 1! Should be here in a week or two.

Agonised over the 2012 model and new Trance 29er, which confused the issue no end! If I could have found a medium 2012, I may have been tempted but it was a fine balance and in the end the cable runs for the dropper seat post and Shimano drive train tipped the balance, I have never ridden with SRAM so don't really know it and just feel more comfortable with Shimano. The price difference between the 2012 and 2013 was not really that great in the end in the UK (£300).

The Trance looked a great bike but most of my riding is going to be XC and when I looked at the 26 2013 trance it was heavier than the Anthem by a good margin so I assume the same will be true of the 29 inch version. All the same a great looking bike and felt really good, was tempting!

In the end a decision needed to be made so deposit handed over yesterday and bike ordered. Who knows by the time it arrives it may have stopped raining!

Looked at lots of bikes over the last few weeks but in this price range I have not seen a better bike.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Placek View Post
    The solo-air well i think we must wait for fist impressions, many bikers here spent months on testing trying different settings and some of them give up and some found their preeure. In my case it took 4 months. Maybe now it will be more set-forget...

Regardng RS-FOX

This is one of most usefull comments for me. Thanks. Drilling more can You explain in what way the RS was better, what are in your opinion the reasons thatRS suits Maesto better. Stiffer,more aggressive less plush, more progressive or maybe bike felt more like hardtail with RS?
    Four months to set up a dual-air? Give me five minutes and I'll have you happy on it.

Anyway RS vs. FOX, this is always opinion of the rider so take it with a grain of salt. I don't have a vested interest in either company so I don't think I'm biased. I could go into all my experience on both companies products, both front and rear but we'll make an assumption that I've ridden them a lot.

One thing I will add...as a shop tech, I see exponentially more fox forks in for service than I do RS. On an order of at least 5 to 1. That makes me much more familiar with the inner workings of the Fox. Take that as you will. Even with my own forks, my Fox required rebuild at least twice a year. I only rebuilt my RS because I felt guilty. My current RS RCT had redrum fluid up around the stanchion on the first 10 miles. On my second ride it stayed clean. So, it's either broken in now or out of redrum fluid.

I used a Fox RP23 on my Turner Sultan. Very linear in feel and very plush. The DW link has similar mechanics to the Maestro but of course they aren't the same. The bike didn't require the multiple platform settings to ride correctly and I never tried the same bike with a different shock, so, no real opinion.

The same Fox RP23 on the Anthem X2 was plush and linear. Very smooth through the travel and it definitely felt like you were using it all. You knew when you hit bottom. The bike just always felt like it was in the middle of its travel. Standing and pedaling were also hindered with this shock. The bike just felt slow.

The RS Monarch on the other hand is pretty progressive. Nice small bump compliance and it takes a pretty solid hit to move it through all the travel. Although the only way I know I used it all is back at the truck when I look at the O ring. Even without using the platform settings, the bike feels like it stays on top of its travel. No wallowing. Standing and pedaling is only slightly worse than my carbon hardtail.

I hope that helps a bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?-pine-hollow.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Silentfloe

One of most complex replies i have ever received.
    Thanks for that especially when You say that have no relation to each of companies moreover You’re on the tech side.
    First - those four months – this was time when I was trying all mixed settings with positive and negative chamber including Monarch RT. Wasn’t easy because some of rides were smooth and flat and others rocky so than different pressures appeared to be the best.
    Now coming back to Your feelings about RS on Anthem – mine are exactly the same. Even on all open settings the suspension feels stiff, really small bumps are better absorbed by small tire pressure than suspension ant this gives a feeling like Maestro wasn’t working but on the other hand You have full clibing/racing possibilities including efficient stand-pedaling.
    When small roots/rocks appears than You know that you ride FS, O-ring begins to work and to bottom it You need to hit it strongly or just swallow 1-2feet drop.
    During my last ride I meet a guy who is using fox and he was missing RS because when he brakes or try to climb every time he looses half of travel – ok that’s his personal opinion but close to Yours.
    Your experience whispers to smile to RS when I like race, love to accelerate and from time to time hit a bigger stone. I think I couldn’t stand waving with fox. Now I understand why FOX wins on TRAIL and AM/FR bikes.
    And sorry for my English….

CranksAroundtheCampfire
    Jun 2009
    Has anyone weighed the 2013 Frameset? I have a Anthem X 29er frame arriving soon and am really curious how much these works of art weigh!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have to ask a question as a relative newbie to serious mountain biking. Why do I read of so many folks going out and buying a new high end bike only to change all the components as soon as they get it home?

I guess its all about feel and weight and I may understand more when I have had a bit more experience. Just seems easier to buy a frame and start from scratch, perhaps a bit extreme! As for me the best weight saving I can make is get on the bike ride and eat less!

My question does have a serious point. I have just ordered the Anthem X 1 2013 and have considered changing the brakes, as the stock brakes seem to get varied reviews! I was also considering upgrading the cranks and shifters to XT to match the rear but am I really going to see any advantages? I will probably wait until I have spent some time on the bike to see how it performs or bust something before I change anything but any advice greatly appreciated.

Please accept the first two paragraphs as tongue in cheek!
    Last edited by Kinsman330; 09-27-2012 at 02:47 AM.

WillWorkForTrail
    Picked up my Anthem 29 X 2 yesterday. Two months to the day after I ordered it, but it was worth the wait. I haven't weighed it yet. I haven't taken any pictures. But I did hit a local trail for a 7 mile shake down. We did some setup on it at the shop, and I did some fine tuning after the first couple miles on the trail, but on the whole I have to say, I'm very satisfied with the way this bike rides.

The only thing I need to do now is find a longer seat post. I'm running right at the minimum insert line, and would like to have more post in the frame. I haven't measured the seatpost, but suspect it's a 400mm. Can anyone confirm that?

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinsman330 View Post
    I have to ask a question as a relative newbie to serious mountain biking. Why do I read of so many folks going out and buying a new high end bike only to change all the components as soon as they get it home?

I guess its all about feel and weight and I may understand more when I have had a bit more experience. Just seems easier to buy a frame and start from scratch, perhaps a bit extreme! As for me the best weight saving I can make is get on the bike ride and eat less!

My question does have a serious point. I have just ordered the Anthem X 1 2013 and have considered changing the brakes, as the stock brakes seem to get varied reviews! I was also considering upgrading the cranks and shifters to XT to match the rear but am I really going to see any advantages? I will probably wait until I have spent some time on the bike to see how it performs or bust something before I change anything but any advice greatly appreciated.

Please accept the first two paragraphs as tongue in cheek!
    Several reasons but here is the main one. Lets say you buy a frame for $1600. You want XT components. It will cost you another $1600 for the build kit and you still may not have a complete bike.

Now, you can go buy a compete bike for $3200 and it has full Sram X7. You sell all the X7 stuff and buy XT parts a bit at a time. In the mean time, you have a bike to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Silentfoe

Thank you that makes perfect sense. So XT rather than SLX? Shimano rather than SRAM?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinsman330 View Post
    Silentfoe

Thank you that makes perfect sense. So XT rather than SLX? Shimano rather than SRAM?
    NO !
    This is definitely up to Your preferences. Nobody will tell You which is better but everyone can tell You which prefer more.
    There are different aspects - usability, smoothness,maintenance etc - only when You have comparsion than you can honestly choose.
    When i tell You that i prefer SH it deosn't mean it's better - it just suits me more and i'm used to SH.
    If the main factor is maintenance than You can just look on statistics - how meny of us are satisfied from SH/SRAM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    depends on your use of the bike too, there isn't anything wrong with even shimanos entry level gear, Deore is fine. if you're just trail riding then it will do it's job day in day out for many years. i have a slx/xt combo bike and i know it won't let me down
    i have full deore on my touring bike and same thing.

nothing wrong with slx, especially the latest gear.

i have this years slx on my anthem and when your out on the trail, i can't feel much (if any) different to last years XT on my SurlyTroll

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks I am really looking forward to getting the Anthem. As I said earlier I will ride it for a while and not change anything. Most of my riding will me XC. I have been reading the reviews on new SLX spec seems solid enough.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Picked up my Anthem 29 X 2 yesterday. Two months to the day after I ordered it, but it was worth the wait. I haven't weighed it yet. I haven't taken any pictures. But I did hit a local trail for a 7 mile shake down. We did some setup on it at the shop, and I did some fine tuning after the first couple miles on the trail, but on the whole I have to say, I'm very satisfied with the way this bike rides.

The only thing I need to do now is find a longer seat post. I'm running right at the minimum insert line, and would like to have more post in the frame. I haven't measured the seatpost, but suspect it's a 400mm. Can anyone confirm that?
    Congrats on the purchase. Would be interested in how you find the SRAM components. I was looking at the X1 29er but someone who has ridden Anthems with both Fox and RS said he prefers the RS shocks on the Anthem Maestro units, which has got me thinking about the X2 instead.
    p.s. how much does it weight and what size frame do you have?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have gone for the 2013 X 1 with all Shimano rather than SRAM. I am 5ft 11.5 inches (always resented that last half inch!) with a 32 inside leg and according to Giant that means the medium frame is best for me. I am almost in to a large. They did have a large in stock and it felt too big. I tried the small in the X2 and X3 and they felt fine but to be honest so did the medium so thats what I went for.

When I get the bike I will let you know about the weight. I can tell you the large Anthem felt a lot lighter than the 26inch 2013 Trance they had in stock as did the X2 and X3. Should be here in a week or so. I have no idea about the shocks this is my first full suspension bike so have nothing to compare it to.

mtbr member

Anthem X 1

I just picked up an X1 in XL. It was 27 even on the shop scale. I swapped out a few things to stuff off my last bike. Put Hope/arches, thompson post, SLR saddle, xt brakes, and Haven carbon riser. It should be a little lighter but not a ton. Maybe 26.5 now. I took it out for a shakedown ride around the neighborhood trails yesterday and all i can say is that it rips. Really fun to ride, good in the twisty stuff, and efficient climbing. It was a big change for me coming off a Niner One 9 SS rigid. It took a good 10 miles to feel comfortable with the fs feel again. All of my decents were my fastest times ever, and several other top times according to my Strava. That is promising. It was so easy to go fast, felt efortless. I wasnt out trying to go hard. Lastly, it looks way, way better in person.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?-securedownload.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Anthem X Adv frame weight

Just weighed one up, size Med, 18": 2480 grams including der hanger, seatpost collar, h/s cups, and a few pieces of housing that were threaded through the frame. So, approx 2375'ish stripped totally bare.

For all those buying Anthem X's, remember to install a couple 1.2mm chainring spacers in the seatstay pivot bolts - the swingarm is welded too wide to match up with the linkages, so bearings will get damaged and rough if you don't realign things properly. Makes them run smoother for longer.
    Last edited by chrisclarkwhistler; 09-28-2012 at 05:48 PM. Reason: added info

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by jazid View Post
    Congrats on the purchase. Would be interested in how you find the SRAM components. I was looking at the X1 29er but someone who has ridden Anthems with both Fox and RS said he prefers the RS shocks on the Anthem Maestro units, which has got me thinking about the X2 instead.
    p.s. how much does it weight and what size frame do you have?
    This is the first bike I've had with SRAM components, and honestly it shifts more smoothly and things react faster on it than my last geared bike, which had XT components on it. Of course, that was a 2000 year model bike, so take that with a grain of salt. My frame is a L although I initially thought an XL might be better for me, but the L will suffice. I have not weighed the bike, as A) my scales won't go over 15lbs and B) I'm really not concerned with the "whole weight" of the bike. I know there's room for improvement.

I'm not sure why Giant is equipping the X2 with Elixir 1 brakes, or why they only use a 170mm rotor on the front. I feel like it takes too much effort to get effective braking out of the bike, although in a straight line test where I'm focused on braking, sufficient force can be brought to bare on things to stop the bike with authority. I think simply using a larger rotor up front would have helped though.

Also, the seat post the bike comes with is a 375mm post, and although I'm physically comfortable with the post all the way out to the minimum insert line, I'm mentally uncomfortable with the amount of post left in the frame. I'm thinking I'll put a 400mm post on just to get the extra inch of tube in the frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Here's my 2013 Anthem X 29er 3, international version. Total weight I need to measure, bike shop said it's around 12.5kg. I did shave off 100g swapping the stock Giant/Velo saddle with Fizik Gobi XM and another 100g taking off all the reflectors (4x wheel, front and back).

At the office, haven't gone to trails yet.

mtbr member
    very nice! which size? please post more pics
    ~ Too weird to live, too rare to die ~

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by arkhamasylum View Post
    Here's my 2013 Anthem X 29er 3, international version. Total weight I need to measure, bike shop said it's around 12.5kg. I did shave off 100g swapping the stock Giant/Velo saddle with Fizik Gobi XM and another 100g taking off all the reflectors (4x wheel, front and back).At the office, haven't gone to trails yet.
    more like 13kg+ with the stock wheels and parts..

I bought the X3 as I liked the red/white/black more and have already added XT parts with SLX brakes.
    Will be picking up a set of Crests/Hopes this week also to knock some more weight off...

Then I will start on the static parts...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by IRLMtb'er View Post
    more like 13kg+ with the stock wheels and parts..

I bought the X3 as I liked the red/white/black more and have already added XT parts with SLX brakes.
    Will be picking up a set of Crests/Hopes this week also to knock some more weight off...

Then I will start on the static parts...
    You're right, I just measured and mine is 13.1kg with Fizik Saddle and M770 pedals. Stock should be 13.3kg. Looking to change to Crests/hopes too, then drive train later.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by evil zlayo View Post
    very nice! which size? please post more pics
    will post more pics soon it's a 16"/Small.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    will post more pics soon it's a 16"/Small.
    What size are you?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    What size are you?
    I'm 5'8", 30" inseam. Small size, 16".

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the stock weight and sizing information. The red/white/black does look very nice imo.
    Your replacement SLX brakes don't come with 6 bolt config afaik (assuming you are talking about 2013).

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I went for the Medium, I'm 173cm and 78cm inseam... The Small frame size would just feel way too short of a reach...I prefer to be more "stretched out"...whereas with the Small size frame it would feel too cramped for me...and would have the seatpost up a lot more....

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm beetween S & M with 30.4" inseam and 5 feet 7.72 inches.

I have test ride both sizes but having a hard time to pick bike, currently I'm riding a Trance X S and XTC 26" S and feel they are a littble bit to small would I feel the same way if I go for Anthem Small?

Since I'm relative new to the sport 3 years and doing a lot of marathon races, I have never own a bike that is bigger than this so I have a hard time to know what the downside and upside of going with a larger frame would be.

My notice on the Small, I feel a little bit compact with arms but on a nice height of the bike, on the M-frame I think I have it easier standing up and pedal and also less feeling of going over the bar.

Should I stay at the M I did order or switch to a Small?

Epic rider
    Anthem x29 2013-3 medium 100% stock from shop, no pedals 12.95 kg.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9100 met Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?-uploadfromtaptalk1349903488777.jpg  

12 Anthem X29
    13 XTC 29

07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

mtbr member
    May 2010
    currently I'm riding a Trance X S and XTC 26" S and feel they are a little bit to small would I feel the same way if I go for Anthem Small?
    You just answered your own question there..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4