Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Anyone have an actual weight on a 2013 Anthem X1 29er (Aluminum)? Checked it out at the shop and felt relatively light for the price point, but never put it on the scale.

Epic rider
    Dunno about X1 but 2013 alu X3 in M weighed 12.95 kg excl pedals 100% stock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?-uploadfromtaptalk1357250396432.jpg  

Last edited by rapsac; 01-04-2013 at 01:48 AM.
    12 Anthem X29
    13 XTC 29

07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

Epic rider
    In the German catalogue they list the alu X3 at 13.0 kg and the alu X1 at 11.9 kg.
    Last edited by rapsac; 01-04-2013 at 01:48 AM.
    12 Anthem X29
    13 XTC 29

07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rapsac View Post
    In the German catalogue they list the X3 at 13.0 kg and the X1 at 11.9 kg.
    Nice find! Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Have my X3 down to 12.2kg, will post pics as soon as i am allowed..

I still have the stock stem and saddle, which I hope mat get the bike to under 12kgs

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GT5050 View Post
    Anyone have an actual weight on a 2013 Anthem X1 29er (Aluminum)? Checked it out at the shop and felt relatively light for the price point, but never put it on the scale.
    Had mine on the scale today at LBS while changing over to tubeless. 27 lbs with tubeless setup and CB eggbeaters. Everything else bone stock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Right about what I thought. Not bad for a FS Aluminum 29er at that price. What frame size?

mtbr member
    I suspect they base their price on what the market can handle .Here in New Zealand the price is $8900 which equates to approx $7440 US.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GT5050 View Post
    Right about what I thought. Not bad for a FS Aluminum 29er at that price. What frame size?
    It's a large frame. I agree, for the money I was unable to find a better deal for a brand new bike. I am still getting used to it coming of a 26" jekyll, but so far I love it and am very happy with the purchase.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Listen!

My X3

12.21kg with pedals...

Have changed the saddle for a Phenom, stem and seatpost will get changed soon also... Maybe Kashima suspensions also...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    What are the differences between the 2012 Anthem X 29 and the 2013?

What are the important differences between the two?

Your Best Friend
    There are different models of Anthem X29 and they only vary in component spec. It is the same between the year models. There weren't any changes to the frame.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have strongly been considering the Anthem X29 as well. I have struggled deciding where the best bang for my buck is. I struggle with the idea of over buying and under buying for that matter. Looking at a 3,000 dollar budget, where do you think my best use of dollars are in the giant anthem line up. Nicer aluminum bike, or maybe a lesser carbon bike, or not sure. I ride a couple times a week at my local trail for a workout, and I plan larger rides on my weekends. I don't see a lot of serious racing in the future, but I like to push myself. I will probably do some large organized rides and maybe an adventure race that includes some biking. My objective is a nice ride, easily maintained, and something that will last longer than I want it to. I get lost in which groupsets are best for a guy like myself. I test rode a complete xt bike, and I was pretty impressed. Currently, I ride a hard tail 29er trek sram bike. Beyond the weekend warrior, but not racing everyweekend. Where would you spend your money in the anthem line up?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    There are different models of Anthem X29 and they only vary in component spec. It is the same between the year models. There weren't any changes to the frame.
    Right. I was just wondering if somebody had gone over the parts specs differences and determined what was better or worse between models. I was kind of hoping to have the option of trying a 1 x drivetrain using the Gen Lee adapter with an SRAM cassette, although you need a different crank or at least a different chainring, and with the 2013 Anthem X 29'er they don't have SRAM. The X9 works better with the Gen Lee adapter. Oh well. Just a parts swap/sell away either way...lol...

davidcarson48
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarBulldog View Post
    I have strongly been considering the Anthem X29 as well. I have struggled deciding where the best bang for my buck is. I struggle with the idea of over buying and under buying for that matter. Looking at a 3,000 dollar budget, where do you think my best use of dollars are in the giant anthem line up. Nicer aluminum bike, or maybe a lesser carbon bike, or not sure. I ride a couple times a week at my local trail for a workout, and I plan larger rides on my weekends. I don't see a lot of serious racing in the future, but I like to push myself. I will probably do some large organized rides and maybe an adventure race that includes some biking. My objective is a nice ride, easily maintained, and something that will last longer than I want it to. I get lost in which groupsets are best for a guy like myself. I test rode a complete xt bike, and I was pretty impressed. Currently, I ride a hard tail 29er trek sram bike. Beyond the weekend warrior, but not racing everyweekend. Where would you spend your money in the anthem line up?
    I think this is an easy decision. For general trail riding with maybe a little racing or endurance rides, I would go with the Anthem X 1, the top AL model. Everything on the build is pretty solid. The SLX drivetrain is great and the Fox suspension works well and is nice and plush. For $2875, it's a steal.

I have an Anthem X Advanced 1 and my buddy has the Anthem X 1. His bike is only about 1 pound heavier than mine (with an Arch EX wheelset on his bike) and is a little more plush with the Fox bits.

His Avid brakes have been great (read: quiet) and for $500, you can get yourself a nice, light wheelset.

The Anthem X Advanced 2, in my opinion, isn't as great a value. You get lower end SRAM bits, still have Avid brakes and the heavy wheelset, and the carbon frame, while stiff as hell, only saves you a few hundred grams.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post

Giant lists archived models on their website. Shouldn't be difficult to pull up a 2012 and a 2013 on your screen and compare them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post

If you compare the Anthem 29er X1 2012 vs 2013, the suspension went to Fox CTD, the drivetrain went from SRAM with a 26/39 crankset to Shimano with a 24/38 crankset (resulting in the lower gearing which is better for climbing) and cable guides for a dropper post on the frame were added.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Wow! Either you all have money growing on trees, 6 to 7 thousand dollars a pop for a high end bike is a lot of mula. Anyways, my LBS sales those bikes mention on this thread, for about a little bit over half the cost. If, I'm not mistaken the Anthem X sl 0 was between 3 and 4 grand. But, then again it all comes to the love of riding and enjoying the great out doors.
    Last edited by inochi; 02-20-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by inochi View Post
    Wow! Either you all have money growing on trees, 6 to 7 thousand dollars a pop for a high end bike is a lot of mula. Anyways, my LBS sales those bikes mention on this thread, for about a little bit over half the cost. If, I'm not mistaken the Anthem X sl 0 was between 3 and 4 grand. But, then again it all comes to the love of riding and enjoying the great out doors.
    ? Pretty confused. Uh, What?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Trying to decide between the 2013 aluminum AX 29'er 1 or the 2.

What are the big differences?
    Weight? Components? A bit of both?
    Is it worth getting the X1 or could I get the X2 now to save a few bucks and spend money over time to lighten/improve it? Or should I bite the bullet and get the X1?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I finally jumped in. The AX1 29'er felt lighter than the X2 and components seemed better and worth it, so I picked this up at the Toronto Spring Bicycle show today. 29'er here I come

2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?-giant-ax1-29.jpg

Less expensive (after factoring in my shock upgrades on the Brodie) and yet the Giant is abt 2 LBS lighter than my 2008 Brodie Mettle 26" FS bike...with xtr spd pedals and a few sessions of stepping on and off a pretty accurate bathroom scale with and without my bicycles, I came up with 27.6 LBS for the Giant AX1 29'er. My Brodie is 29.5.

2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?-lily-inspects-new-bicycle-sniff-sniff.jpg
    Lily inspects the bike for contraband and other danger by sniffing.

2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?-giant-ax1-29-right-front.jpg
    Last edited by morkys; 03-04-2013 at 03:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The only thing I don't like about the 2013 AX1 is the paint job. Is it better in person?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by strangedezign View Post
    The only thing I don't like about the 2013 AX1 is the paint job. Is it better in person?
    Thank-fully, yes, it is better in person. It does look sharp. The website picture doesn't do it justice. I would much prefer the beautiful blue AX1 29'er colour in other regions, but in Canada we get the above. Still, it looks very slick and clean and the yellow accents are excellent. If it weren't for the yellow accents, I would think it bland. I was thinking of trying to source a foreign market blue model but I bought this one at the Toronto bicycle show at a sale price now so I'm ready to ride in a month or two, so, I compromised my colour choice a bit.
    Last edited by morkys; 03-04-2013 at 06:20 AM.

Your Best Friend
    Very nice and congrats on the new ride. You've got a fun summer ahead of you!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks. Yes, I can't wait. Look out Durham Forest, Greenwood and Don Valley...here I come

P.S. BTW, is anybody with a 2013 Anthem X 29'er with FOX CTD installing the remote lever? I read comments that they are a bit on the large side but it still could be handy to have. Not essential, but handy.
    Last edited by morkys; 03-04-2013 at 10:11 AM.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast