Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    They're nice looking bikes aren't they.Accept the stem.
    Man I love the chunky stem!

mtbr member
    I agree with gvs. Looks like a piece of liquorice . Lol

Your Best Friend
    I have the XL Advanced 0. Your tires will eventually firm up from the tubeless conversion. Mine have been solid now for several months. Besides tubeless, I put on some Ergon GS1 leichtbau grips and the Ergon SM3-L Pro Carbon Saddle. With those two mods, a carbon bottle cage, Garmin mount, Xpedo Ti/Ti pedals and a bell, it weighs in at 23lbs 6oz. It was under 23 with the stock saddle and foam grips. Like others, I am building this as an ALL day rider and I wanted some comfortable contact points.

The other poster who's L is 23.7lbs..., not really sure what possessed you to swap out the top of the line carbon parts for mid grade aluminum ones. To each their own I guess.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Anthem 29 X1 vs. Anthem Advanced 29 X2

After looking at and riding several options, it looks like the replacement for my Trance X is going to be an Anthem X29er. I was looking at the X1 Aluminum as it's at a good price point and has decent spec. But the Advanced X2 is so close in price that it makes a compelling case for itself as well and it would fall within my budget also.

So here's the thing, is it worth settling for a lower spec to get the carbon frame? I know everything is upgradeable, but realistically not right away. With the slightly lower price of the aluminum X1, I can afford to get a different wheel set almost right away for example, but not with the carbon one as it would put me slightly closer to the top of the budget. There's also shocks. How are the RS shocks on the carbon X2 vs the Fox CTD stuff on the Alu X1? Is the Rockshox actually a better riding setup than the Fox as some claim, or is it a step down?

At this point I'm leaning towards the Advanced for the frame (plus much better color), but I haven't written off the Alu X1 because I can get lighter hoops on it sooner, and I think I can more easily live with the other components (drivetrain) for longer. Only wildcard is suspension, as I'm not likely to upgrade that soon at all so I wouldn't want to be stuck with something I won't be happy with. Lastly, my understanding is an Alu X1 in M will be about 27#, how much does the Advanced X2 weigh?

cowbell
    I think it might be important to take into consideration that there are people who have ridden Anthems equipped with both Fox and RS suspension who feel that the Maestro system responds better to the RS shocks. I can't speak to this myself, as I've not ridden a Fox equipped Anthem, my Anthem 29 X2 has RS suspension. But I think if I could afford to make the choice facing you, I'd go on and pick up the carbon frame.

Hopefully someone with experience on both types of shock and speak up and maybe help you a little more.

Your Best Friend
    I've posted several times here about my experiences on both types of shocks on the Anthems. The RS wins hands down vs the Fox IMO. On the Adv 2, the RS comes with a tuneable gate that is pretty nice. The carbon frames are noticeably stiffer than the aluminum ones and they still come with Giants lifetime warranty. Yes, the 1 has much nicer parts and that is something to consider. I have several friends with the Adv 2's and they love them. One has gone ahead and upgraded his completely. It now is full XT with the wheels from the Adv 1 (which are awesome btw). It is a medium and weighs in at 25.2lbs with pedals. My other friends Adv 2 is stock and comes in around 27lbs for a medium. I think these are genius bikes that work for just about anything. I'd go for it if you can and plan on upgrading over time.

davidcarson48
    I had the same concerns about AL versus CF. I ended up with the Advanced 1 mostly for the RS suspension, full XT including brakes, and a wheelset with a competitive weight (1750ish grams). I'm glad I grabbed the carbon, but not necessarily for the carbon. If that makes sense. The wheelset has been surprisingly good with very little flex (on par with my Flow QR wheels) and the XT brakes are far better than any Avid product I've used.

It cost me a little more, but I don't have upgrade-itis. Although I'm loving the lightweight bike so much that I am considering building up a chinese carbon wheelset this winter.
    Last edited by davidcarson48; 12-31-2012 at 11:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Spec cost & location

Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    #jhbeeton

Where r u located and what was the cost of your build?
    (No edit post option in my cell phone browser)
    I'm in North Dallas and ride out of Cadence Cyclery in McKinney. Due to my early want for the bike and the still to be delivered pre-order, we went with the build up option. Cost came in at what the advanced 1 ( xt) build would have but I got the fox fork that I was looking for.

A later post asks whether there's a perceived difference between the RS & fox equipped bikes... My take on it was that the Sid option was a tad bit more supple but the fox was more moto in appearance and big hit stability. I just love how solid the 15mm front end performs.

mtbr member
    I was a bit skeptical of RS at first as my prior suspension experience had been Fox only but I am very pleased with the RS on my advanced 1 (corrected). Stock except for carbon fiber bar, xt brakes, and Mavic Crossmax SLR rims - it weighs 23.9 lbs (small frame with xtr pedals).
    Last edited by ha-evolution; 12-31-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by ha-evolution View Post
    I was a bit skeptical of RS at first as my prior suspension experience had been Fox only but I am very pleased with the RS on my advanced 2. Stock except for carbon fiber bar, xt brakes, and Mavic Crossmax SLR rims - it weighs 23.9 lbs (small frame with xtr pedals).
    That's super light for so few changes to stock. Got any pics?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    That's super light for so few changes to stock. Got any pics?
    The weight drop from the SLR's + tubeless was significant. The XT brakes probably weigh more than the stockers but are worth it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GT5050 View Post
    There's also shocks. How are the RS shocks on the carbon X2 vs the Fox CTD stuff on the Alu X1? Is the Rockshox actually a better riding setup than the Fox as some claim, or is it a step down?
    ?
    Don't know about the cTD shock but Giant's Fox tune on their bikes has been very soft for the last couple of years. The pre boost valve M tune fox shocks on previous giants were much better.The monarch works well because it is more linear . So it bobs less but squeezes out slightly more travel. It's along way down to the CTD lever so you want to set and forget or have a shock where you don't need to be reaching down to the lever.
    The Ax has less antisquat than the Tx 26" combined with L tune in both Fox and RS adds ups to a pretty active trail friendly setup if you use a lot of sag.Combine that with mid platform on the Rs or T on the CTD and you should get a set up which both climbs well but blows through on the bigger stuff. If you don't mind a bit more load on the legs , full open and lots of sag lets it suck up the big stuff better than on the TX 26". If you don't like the idea of using mid platform on the Rs you'll have to go to M tune. The monarch can be harsh with too much pressure and work well with a bit less air pressure.

IMHO giant Fox fork tune is good and fox is usually best in the 100 to 120 fork game not so in 140 to 150mm. Have not used CTD though. My 2011 AX1 RLC is superb. Sucks up everything. My previous experience with Rs is a bit too linear and blow thru travel too easy. May have changed for 2012/ 2013?The fox still has a little squeeze out at the end so you can run them low to suck up sharp edge stuff then they just pull up at the end . Makes them feel like they have much more traevel Not a good trait with longer travel forks and inherent fork dive so you need much more pressure or comp damping which means they pull up to short or become harsh. RS is better out of the box in longer travel.
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 12-31-2012 at 06:29 PM.

Your Best Friend
    That's the "old" Adv 1 if I'm not mistaken. They have since discontinued that color scheme and relegated it to the Anthem 4.

I'd still like to see a pic of your bike on the scale if you get a chance.

mtbr member
    That's the "old" Adv 1 if I'm not mistaken. They have since discontinued that color scheme and relegated it to the Anthem 4.

I'd still like to see a pic of your bike on the scale if you get a chance.
    Correct it's the one (the middle one) - forgot about the 0. I'll see what I can do about a scale pic.

Looks like I was off by a pound on the weight.

J/k that's my XTC Comp on the scale - the 1 adv was 24lb 13oz.
    Last edited by ha-evolution; 01-01-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by ha-evolution View Post
    Correct it's the one (the middle one) - forgot about the 0. I'll see what I can do about a scale pic.

Looks like I was off by a pound on the weight...the 1 adv was 24lb 13oz.
    Thought so. Thanks! It looks like a really nice ride. I'm curious about the wheels. Let us know how they roll!

mtbr member
    Thought so. Thanks! It looks like a really nice ride. I'm curious about the wheels. Let us know how they roll!
    I must have been thinking of lbs owner's bike - he got a adv 2 and replaced the sram components with xtr and same slr rims his weighed just under 24.

The wheels are great can't compare to stock as I bought the bike with the Mavics. Hubs are kind of loud but the wheels are holding up well for their weight.

Your Best Friend
    Sorry to be nit-picky, I'm really not trying to pick a fight so I apologize in advance.

I get really tired of people posting low bike weights on the internet without evidence to back it up. People read these posts and get unrealistic expectations of what a bike weighs, or can weigh with a few modifications and then they get upset with their dealer when we have to explain why it can't happen. I've seen it several times.

Case in point, your bike prior to the pics and your realization (or admittance) that it was wrong. Now your LBS owners bike. There is no way it is under 24lbs with the mods you have described. Think about it. The Anthem Advanced frames are the same regardless of the level. So you and the LBS have the same wheels but his bike is 1 pound lighter than yours? Just because he put on XTR components? They are light but not that light. Pics or it didn't happen. Unless he also swapped out the very heavy, stock handlebar/stem/seatpost/saddle and lock on grips, he's still over 24lbs.

I'm really not digging on you, just trying to clean up mis-information before it ends up in a customers hands in a google search.

I'm giving you + rep for having an awesome bike and being passionate about it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Has anyone purchased a 2013 advanced frame? I have one on layaway at my LBS and am trying to piece together the build. Couple things I am trying to plan for in advance, I so far have collected an X.0. crankset and a MRP 36T bling ring, my intent is to use a E13 XCX ST chain guide I already have. I also already have a hawk racing PF bearing set I was going to use on a different bike that never happened, the hawk comes with the spacer to run a sram spindle so think I am good there, has anyone set up their Anthem 1 x with a bling ring yet? just wondering if I need to worry about guide alignment with additional spacers or if it will be a straight forward install. I also just ordered a tapered Sid, I was worried about the overdrive 2 deal, but poked around the headset quickly while at my LBS and it appeared to be for a traditional tapered fork, is this correct? Thanks for any light that can be shed.

Your Best Friend
    You may have to play around with the spacers in the PF BB but you should be fine. As far as the OD2 steerer...you definitely need a new steerer on your fork or you need to get a reducer head set. Not really sure where to get either. I can do some research and get back to you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    You may have to play around with the spacers in the PF BB but you should be fine. As far as the OD2 steerer...you definitely need a new steerer on your fork or you need to get a reducer head set. Not really sure where to get either. I can do some research and get back to you.
    Thanks for the quick reply, I was concerned about the OD2 but did a rough test fit thru the plastic bag to a spare fork at the LBS and it apperared to be a traditional 1.125. Hoping this is the case, if not I will have to get to work on a adapter. I also noticed a oversized crown race supplied for a traditional straight steerer that leads me to believe I may be worried about nothing. Guess maybe i will stop by my LBS and unpackage the headset and put my concerns to rest.

mtbr member
    Unless he also swapped out the very heavy, stock handlebar/stem/seatpost/saddle and lock on grips, he's still over 24lbs.
    Feel free to take the number with a grain of salt I'm sure he did a bunch of other mods to the bike also as he does own a bike shop. I did not ask him for a pic nor do I have a full list of mods done to his bike. I only brought up his bike because I was trying to explain how I goofed on the weight of my bike to begin with. I weighed it over six months ago when I first got it and haven't reweighed it again until yesterday.

Epic rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem1 View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply, I was concerned about the OD2 but did a rough test fit thru the plastic bag to a spare fork at the LBS and it apperared to be a traditional 1.125. Hoping this is the case, if not I will have to get to work on a adapter. I also noticed a oversized crown race supplied for a traditional straight steerer that leads me to believe I may be worried about nothing. Guess maybe i will stop by my LBS and unpackage the headset and put my concerns to rest.
    2012 framesets were sold with normal OD headsets. Should it be a OD2 headset, you can simply swap out the top headset part (ZS) and install a 1 1/8 ZS top part.
    12 Anthem X29
    13 XTC 29

07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rapsac View Post
    2012 framesets were sold with normal OD headsets. Should it be a OD2 headset, you can simply swap out the top headset part (ZS) and install a 1 1/8 ZS top part.
    Yeah, now that I look at what I have postedI I think I have answered my own question haha. If giant supplied an additional crown race for a straight 1.125 steerer my guess is the top bearing and cap are indeed 1.125. Not to mention my lack of even finding an aftermarket OD2 steerer equipped fork. My guess is if you want OD2 at least in the near furture, you would probably have to go with a complete bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem1 View Post
    Has anyone purchased a 2013 advanced frame? I have one on layaway at my LBS and am trying to piece together the build. Couple things I am trying to plan for in advance, I so far have collected an X.0. crankset and a MRP 36T bling ring, my intent is to use a E13 XCX ST chain guide I already have. I also already have a hawk racing PF bearing set I was going to use on a different bike that never happened, the hawk comes with the spacer to run a sram spindle so think I am good there, has anyone set up their Anthem 1 x with a bling ring yet? just wondering if I need to worry about guide alignment with additional spacers or if it will be a straight forward install. I also just ordered a tapered Sid, I was worried about the overdrive 2 deal, but poked around the headset quickly while at my LBS and it appeared to be for a traditional tapered fork, is this correct? Thanks for any light that can be shed.
    The frameset comes with the headset adapters for 1 1/8" lower and upper race so you can go with any fork .... I too went with the 1.5-1.125 to have easy stem changes. I'm considering the single front ring but am currently running 2x qrings and not sure if I want to give that up

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jhbeeton View Post
    The frameset comes with the headset adapters for 1 1/8" lower and upper race so you can go with any fork .... I too went with the 1.5-1.125 to have easy stem changes. I'm considering the single front ring but am currently running 2x qrings and not sure if I want to give that up
    Its nice to have gearing options, I wanted to keep this drive train as simple, quiet and bombproof as possible. I got a sweet deal on X.0. shorty in blue on ebay for $119, think the seller still has a few left. I still have a few more pieces to pick up but hope to have the bike on the trails by February.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast