Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Was wondering about comparisons of the Anthem X 29'er vs similar Niner FS bikes. I noticed the Jet 9 has 3" of rear wheel travel and the RDO costs as much for the frame and fork as an entire Anthem X 29 complete bicycle. Curious if the handling of the Niner bikes is quicker, but even if it were, at what cost?

mtbr member
    Hey guys, here's mine...

Started life as an X3 with Deore components, but I upgraded to all XT - including 2x10 cranks, I-spec shifters, Shadow+ RD, brakes and UST wheelset.

Have raced it a couple of times and it's fast!
    Last edited by PerthMTB; 12-09-2012 at 05:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Great looking bike mate!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    Yes, the brakes are weak. Going 203mm up front and swapping the OEM 180mm out back. Parts have arrived, should be able to get it done this weekend. I have a thread in the brake forum regarding this, so I'll be posting my results there once the new rotors have bedded in and I've got some riding time on the new setup.

If the experiment fails, I'm going SLX or XT next spring.
    Just to follow up on my post, went with a 203mm front rotor and put the OEM 180mm on the back end. Same G3 rotor style up front as the one in the back. I now have sufficient braking power. The back is a bit too easy to lock up, so I might go back to the stock 160mm, but the 203mm front end has alleviated all of my braking issues.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I may pick one of these up this year and the spring bike show is an awesome place for it, but...that means no decent test ride on trails before buying. I like a lot about the bike and feel it's a worth while gamble. I like quick and sharp handling though, as I sought out the 70 deg head angle 26" Brodie Mettle I have now and love it for it's quick handling. I just hope that the Giant Anthem X 29'er is quick enough handling for me, but I suppose I could always tweak it to suit. I like so many other things about it like light weight and great rear suspension etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    Was wondering about comparisons of the Anthem X 29'er vs similar Niner FS bikes. I noticed the Jet 9 has 3" of rear wheel travel and the RDO costs as much for the frame and fork as an entire Anthem X 29 complete bicycle. Curious if the handling of the Niner bikes is quicker, but even if it were, at what cost?
    Check out these you tube clips: Giant Anthem X 29 vs 26 vs Niner-Part 1 - YouTube and Giant Anthem X 29 vs 26 vs Niner-Part 2 - YouTube which compare them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I just watched a Youtube video comparing the Giant Anthem X 29'er to a Niner Jet 9. I notice that the Anthem X 29 has specs listed for a longer chainstay than other comparable bikes, but the Anthem X 29 wheelbase specs out shorter than other bikes, size for size. I figure there is a balance there somewhere and the Giant seems to work for many people. I admit I like quicker handing bikes, so I should probably ride it and compare it to another 29 FS bike.
    Last edited by morkys; 12-14-2012 at 08:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Morkys - I like my new Anthem 29er, and for fast and flowy courses, firetrails/railtrails, and all day epics its just perfect. But, I wouldn't describe it (or any other short travel 29er I've tried) as "quick handling". I have a 26" Trance I use for tight and technical courses with lots of jumps, which I still find superior (and more fun!) in those kind of situations.

I can't say this is a fault in the design of the Anthem, I just don't think there's any such thing as a 'do-it-all' bike, and each is optimised for a certain type of riding, and not so good at others.

So, for me the Anthem 29er excels as a light and fast XC race bike, but if you ride a lot where a very nimble bike is required, maybe you should hang onto your 26" Brodie as well. Its horses for courses IMHO, and always good to have a choice of steed to suit different riding conditions.

As always, just my experience, others may differ...

mtbr member
    2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1355112992.517491.jpg2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1355113009.497374.jpg
    Hi guys
    Here's my new toy. I've been riding a Xtc composite but the longer rides have been taking their toll so caved and went FS. I'm no spring chicken turning 50 next year but kept telling myself a hard tail wasn't that bad and I should harden up.
    First thing I did was make the tires tubeless with stans yellow tape and spoof. Sealed first time. Carbon wheels feel great.
    It took a few rides to get comfortable but after a couple of 5 hour rides I can say it great!

Your Best Friend
    Curious as to why the Stans tape and not the tape supplied with the bike? Also, why'd you change out the stem?
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Have always had no problem with the Stans tape so why change? Wheels didn't come tubeless so it was an easy change. Not a fan of the GIant stem and wanted it slightly longer also changed the seat and bars from my Xtc. I've been riding an XL hard tail but have gone down to an Large for the Anthem as I'm on the boarder of both sizes. Wanted to use this as an all rounder rather than just a XC bike and I can't be happier.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    I own a Jet9 and an Anthem. Overall, they are very similar. I don't have much of a preference between the two. The rear of the Jet feels a little softer, meaning it's more comfortable sitting over small bumps than the Anthem.

The RDO, for me, is the harshest of the three. It drives well, but lap times were similar to the other two. So far, I've had no interest in purchasing one based on a couple hours of seat time. What I really wanted was a carbon 3" jet, but niner saw fit (like giant) to pander to the "more travel is always better" crowd. With the way they're being cleared out currently I'm skeptical whether the aluminum jet will return another year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffS View Post
    I own a Jet9 and an Anthem. Overall, they are very similar. I don't have much of a preference between the two. The rear of the Jet feels a little softer, meaning it's more comfortable sitting over small bumps than the Anthem.

The RDO, for me, is the harshest of the three. It drives well, but lap times were similar to the other two. So far, I've had no interest in purchasing one based on a couple hours of seat time. What I really wanted was a carbon 3" jet, but niner saw fit (like giant) to pander to the "more travel is always better" crowd. With the way they're being cleared out currently I'm skeptical whether the aluminum jet will return another year.
    Thanks for the feedback, however, the more I look into it, even the aluminum 3" travel jet seems more expensive vs comparable Anthem x 29'er. So Niner has no 4" rear travel aluminum bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    delete
    Last edited by morkys; 12-13-2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: duplicate post in error

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    @jeffzx12 - nice bike. Could you tell us what the weight on that bad boy is? With pedals? Also any particular reason you aren't a fan of the stock Giant stem that came with it or was it just a length thing? (I have an Anthem X Advanced 0 on the way soon...and I love the chunky look of the Giant Contact SLR Overdrive composite stem...plus am hoping that it is way stiff).

mtbr member
    Hi Tyrone

With pedals 23.72 pounds or 10.74kg2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1355464313.372647.jpg

it's a size large with tubeless RaRas and xtr pedals. I do prefer the Xtr spec shifters/brakes on my xtc and might transplant them at a later date.

I changed the stem for a syntace that's just a bit longer as my other rides are all XL and I prefer being a bit stretched out. Not a great fan of the boxy giant stem and have no stiffness issues.
    So far loving the Anthem.

Cheers Jeff

mtbr member
    Jeff-
    Can you share the year and model you have along with any changes to stock components? That is an excellent weight!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffzx12 View Post
    Hi Tyrone

With pedals 23.72 pounds or 10.74kgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355464313.372647.jpg 
Views:	856 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	744856

it's a size large with tubeless RaRas and xtr pedals. I do prefer the Xtr spec shifters/brakes on my xtc and might transplant them at a later date.

I changed the stem for a syntace that's just a bit longer as my other rides are all XL and I prefer being a bit stretched out. Not a great fan of the boxy giant stem and have no stiffness issues.

Cheers Jeff
    2015 Giant Anthem 29er
    2012 Trek Superfly Carbon HT

davidcarson48
    Syntace makes an OD2 stem?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Hi Tyrone

Cheers Jeff
    Which version is that? Is that an Advanced Carbon or an aluminum zero or 1?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Hi Tyrone

Cheers Jeff
    Hi Tyrone

Cheers Jeff

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Hi Tyrone

Cheers Jeff
    Hi Tyrone

Cheers Jeff

mtbr member
    Hi guys
    It's a 2013 advance carbon in size large.
    Changes I've made are.......
    Carbon Wtb Valcon seat (for comfort)
    Syntace 105mm stem .yes they fit o/d
    Ec70 carbon flat bars and chunky Esi grips
    Xtr pedals
    Frame skins and frame wrap
    Converted wheels to tubeless.
    I was looking for a bit of comfort on the 4 plus hour rides. Loving it so far . I have read so many good reports on the Anthem.
    Cheers

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Just picked up my Anthem Advanced 0 a few days ago. Haven't ridden yet due to 4 days of straight rain here in NorCal.

Converted the P-XCR 0 wheels to tubeless with the Ralph's and they both seated up first try but the rear has been steadily losing air every day. Need to work on that a bit....

2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356458618.727724.jpg

2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356458630.177350.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    They're nice looking bikes aren't they.Accept the stem.

mtbr member
    Looking good. The Ralph's leak though their sidewalls until sealed. I stuck them on their side on a bucket as per stans advice and they have been good since. I've been riding it regularly and man does the rear tire wear!

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast