Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    cowbell
    I have to say, my Anthem just keeps feeling better. I've finally got the suspension tuned where I want it, now I just need to sort out the brakes. Does anyone else who has the Elixir 1's (I guess this is just X2 level in the US?) feel like the brakes are a little weak? Have you done anything about it? I'm thinking about a larger rotor up front.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have had my 2013 Anthem x 29er 2 for two weeks now. The Elixir 1's are horrid. The front squeels loudly and seems like I have no braking power. My other bike (Gary Fisher Hi FI delux) has Elixir 5's which are much better. I have just ordered shimano XT to replace the Elixir 1s and going with a 180mm rotor up front.

Other than the brakes, I love this bike. Very fast and turns like a 26" bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I have to say, my Anthem just keeps feeling better. I've finally got the suspension tuned where I want it, now I just need to sort out the brakes. Does anyone else who has the Elixir 1's (I guess this is just X2 level in the US?) feel like the brakes are a little weak? Have you done anything about it? I'm thinking about a larger rotor up front.
    Yes, the brakes are weak. Going 203mm up front and swapping the OEM 180mm out back. Parts have arrived, should be able to get it done this weekend. I have a thread in the brake forum regarding this, so I'll be posting my results there once the new rotors have bedded in and I've got some riding time on the new setup.

If the experiment fails, I'm going SLX or XT next spring.

cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    Yes, the brakes are weak. Going 203mm up front and swapping the OEM 180mm out back. Parts have arrived, should be able to get it done this weekend. I have a thread in the brake forum regarding this, so I'll be posting my results there once the new rotors have bedded in and I've got some riding time on the new setup.

If the experiment fails, I'm going SLX or XT next spring.
    I've been looking at a rotor swap as well, my concern is my bike came with a 170mm on the front, and I'm not certain that a 180 will be enough. I'm not sure the back needs more power, but the front certainly does. I'm looking forward to hearing how your swap works out.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    First thing I did was ditch the Deore brakes on my X3 for a set of SLX brakes, kept the 180/160mm discs... braking is perfect!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Another happy Anthem Rider

Picked mine up in Sydney about 3 weeks ago. Been making a few changes and now happy with it.

Comes in a 11.2kg with the following spec:

XT Cranks
    XT RD
    XT Shifters
    Easton Bars
    Stans Arches Wheels
    Formula The One Brakes and Rotors
    Rockshox Dropper Post
    Ergon Grips
    XTR Pedals
    Crossmark Rear Tire
    Ardent Front Tire

Few pics for those interested.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?-img_0982.jpg  

2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?-img_0983.jpg  

2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?-img_0987.jpg  

2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?-img_0984.jpg  

2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?-img_0980.jpg  

Bellydraft
    I just picked up my anthem x advanced 29er yesterday. With all the stock parts,including reflectors it was 26.0lbs on the Park digital scale at the shop. That's about what my xtc composite weighed out of the box (including crank bros candy 3 pedals in both cases.). I put my enve wheels on w sram rotors and an xx cassette and dropped a tad over 3lbs. My frame is an xs. I haven't ridden proper off road yet,but bounced around on it yesterday. Wow is the rear suspension nice to have! I love my xtc composite but this may be better on my booty,and not much slower. My xtc is at 21lbs w the enve wheels. Don't think I can get the anthem that low.
    This may hurt a little..

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Had my X 1 for two weeks now and ridden it every day! It is completely stock and so far apart from some brake noise, which was quickly sorted out, it is just fine. I have not tried to save any weight yet as I have a few pounds to drop off myself before I worry about changing bits.Have added a Garmin 800 and despite some reviews I read I am very happy with it. Seemed a very simple device not sure why folks were having so much trouble with it. How durable it is remains to be seen.

Brakes are Elixr 5's and seem very powerful! Love the shocks you don't notice them woking until you look down. Compact gears seem fine, certainly not missed the granny ring and top end speed on the flat is really good. Climbs really well even with me on it!

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by 40Lucky View Post
    22.75 Lbs as you see it.
    Racy and beautiful! Carbon wheels right?

davidcarson48
    Just ordered my 2013 Anthem X Advanced 29er 1. US specs. Should be here in a week or so.

Does the bike come with the rim strips needed to convert the wheels to tubeless?

Do the XT shifters have the i-Spec integrated mounts?

Can anyone verify this post: For all those buying Anthem X's, remember to install a couple 1.2mm chainring spacers in the seatstay pivot bolts - the swingarm is welded too wide to match up with the linkages, so bearings will get damaged and rough if you don't realign things properly. Makes them run smoother for longer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It seems like you guys are enjoying your anthems. Anyone here have ride experience with SC tallboys before you bought an anthem? Ive got it narrowed down to the anthem 29 x 2 and tallboy AL(will be built up so that it compares to the anthem 2).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidcarson48 View Post
    Just ordered my 2013 Anthem X Advanced 29er 1. US specs. Should be here in a week or so.
    Now we know what you're doing with all that overtime. Come in yet?
    Jersey Off-Road Bicycle Association- Advocate, Educate and Conserve
    You Dig? WWW.JORBA.ORG

WWW.MTBNJ.COM

davidcarson48
    Kirt!

It's in. Gotta get it set up and whatnot, but I hope to be out on it in the next week or so.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

rim strips & Tubeless valve kit

Just built up my son's athem x 1 this evening ... heading to camp eagle in the morning for a marathon race in south texas!!! Bike came with racing ralphs with tubes but in the box of goodies was the rimstrip & double sided tape along with valves

Full XT kit with the exception of the chain which is a stylish KMC full chrome, relief cutouts, hollow pins etc. Stock wheels appear to be pretty nice with the smooth bearings & reported DT internals.

I'm thrilled with my Anthem X

Quote Originally Posted by davidcarson48 View Post

Does the bike come with the rim strips needed to convert the wheels to tubeless?

Do the XT shifters have the i-Spec integrated mounts?

Can anyone verify this post: For all those buying Anthem X's, remember to install a couple 1.2mm chainring spacers in the seatstay pivot bolts - the swingarm is welded too wide to match up with the linkages, so bearings will get damaged and rough if you don't realign things properly. Makes them run smoother for longer.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by jhbeeton View Post
    ...Full XT kit with the exception of the chain which is a stylish KMC full chrome, relief cutouts, hollow pins etc. Stock wheels appear to be pretty nice with the smooth bearings & reported DT internals...
    I'm a little confused, is the anthem x 29er 1 as shown on the Giant Website the 2013 anthem with the currently shipping spec? It's showing as an SLX bike with an XT rear derailleur. Did yours come out of the box with full XT?
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I've got the 1 here in Australia and it's SLX/XT

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    I'm a little confused, is the anthem x 29er 1 as shown on the Giant Website the 2013 anthem with the currently shipping spec? It's showing as an SLX bike with an XT rear derailleur. Did yours come out of the box with full XT?
    I guess it is the carbon version... Anthem advanced 1

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by plupp View Post
    I guess it is the carbon version... Anthem advanced 1
    Ah yes, there you go. I looked at the advanced to see but what came up was the advanced 0, and it had sram xx so I got confused. Didn't think to look at the advanced 1 and see what its spec was.

Thread title doesn't mean that every post will be about that bike...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

full xt

exactly per the spec sheet

DRIVETRAIN
    Shifters Shimano Deore XT, 2x10 Speed
    Front Derailleur Shimano Deore XT
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore XT
    Brakes Shimano Deore XT, 160mm
    Brake Levers Shimano Deore XT
    Cassette Shimano HG81 11x36, 10-Speed
    Chain KMC X10SL
    Crankset Shimano Deore XT, 26/38
    Bottom Bracket Shimano, Press Fit

Team Velveeta™
    exactly per the spec sheet

DRIVETRAIN
    Shifters Shimano Deore XT, 2x10 Speed
    Front Derailleur Shimano Deore XT
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore XT
    Brakes Shimano Deore XT, 160mm
    Brake Levers Shimano Deore XT
    Cassette Shimano HG81 11x36, 10-Speed
    Chain KMC X10SL
    Crankset Shimano Deore XT, 26/38
    Bottom Bracket Shimano, Press Fit
    Yes, but that's the Anthem X Advanced 29er 1

That's where my confusion came in: the thread title is 2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?

That bike, the aluminum one not the carbon fiber one, that's what I was looking for information about. I just assumed that this bike you're talking about was the aluminum one.

See? So the one I'm looking at, the 2013 Anthem X 29er is an SLX bike with and XT rear derailleur. Exactly per the spec sheet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

I stand corrected...

Didn't see the forest for the trees... sorry boss, didn't mean anything by it.

Yes, the Anthem X advanced 1 has got a bigger price tag and a slightly updated spec.

On that note: I have a brand new XT rear derailler/ shifter/ brakeset that is for sale to make an x5-7 or Deore-SLX build a bunch nicer ... i had a preference for the SRAM gripshift and went that way.

Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Yes, but that's the Anthem X Advanced 29er 1

That's where my confusion came in: the thread title is 2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?

That bike, the aluminum one not the carbon fiber one, that's what I was looking for information about. I just assumed that this bike you're talking about was the aluminum one.

See? So the one I'm looking at, the 2013 Anthem X 29er is an SLX bike with and XT rear derailleur. Exactly per the spec sheet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Canada and USA don't get the beautiful blue X0 model? What the heck is up with that? We have the X1 and then the Advanced Zero. Uh...can you say hole in the line-up big enough to drive a tractor-trailer? The X1 is $2799 and then the Advanced Zero is $8399. I don't necessarily want the components and shocks of the aluminum zero model, but I'd like to have the option. Also, the blue colour is awesome. I don't like when companies change bike models per country. Mexico gets an aluminum X0 model with some grey and blue colour. Canada and the USA don't get the alum X0? Why would they do this? Annoying.

For those who prefer rock shox, have you had a chance to try the new CTD Fox forks and shocks?
    Last edited by morkys; 12-04-2012 at 07:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Alternative

I went with the athem x advanced 0 frameset ( black with blue) and built it up with an xo drivetrain & brakes, rotor xc2 crankset, fox fit 100 15mm fork, Easton ea90 wheelset and raceface 3/4 riser carbon bar. Fizik tundra saddle, crank bros foam grips and some Rubena tubeless tires makes for a cost competitive trail monster bike!!!

Don't let the marketing guys get you down

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I went with the athem x advanced 0 frameset ( black with blue) and built it up with an xo drivetrain & brakes, rotor xc2 crankset, fox fit 100 15mm fork, Easton ea90 wheelset and raceface 3/4 riser carbon bar. Fizik tundra saddle, crank bros foam grips and some Rubena tubeless tires makes for a cost competitive trail monster bike!!!

Don't let the marketing guys get you down
    Yeah, I suppose I am over-reacting a bit. I am not normally one who is picky about colour. I guess it's bc blue is a fave colour of mine and the part spec is different too. I will look into the individual framesets and whether we can get them in different colours or perhaps even special order a 2013 aluminum X0 complete bicycle. Building up from the frame could be quite costly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    #jhbeeton

Where r u located and what was the cost of your build?
    (No edit post option in my cell phone browser)

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast