Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Has anyone weighed the 2013 Frameset? I have a Anthem X 29er frame arriving soon and am really curious how much these works of art weigh!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have to ask a question as a relative newbie to serious mountain biking. Why do I read of so many folks going out and buying a new high end bike only to change all the components as soon as they get it home?

I guess its all about feel and weight and I may understand more when I have had a bit more experience. Just seems easier to buy a frame and start from scratch, perhaps a bit extreme! As for me the best weight saving I can make is get on the bike ride and eat less!

My question does have a serious point. I have just ordered the Anthem X 1 2013 and have considered changing the brakes, as the stock brakes seem to get varied reviews! I was also considering upgrading the cranks and shifters to XT to match the rear but am I really going to see any advantages? I will probably wait until I have spent some time on the bike to see how it performs or bust something before I change anything but any advice greatly appreciated.

Please accept the first two paragraphs as tongue in cheek!
    Last edited by Kinsman330; 09-27-2012 at 02:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Picked up my Anthem 29 X 2 yesterday. Two months to the day after I ordered it, but it was worth the wait. I haven't weighed it yet. I haven't taken any pictures. But I did hit a local trail for a 7 mile shake down. We did some setup on it at the shop, and I did some fine tuning after the first couple miles on the trail, but on the whole I have to say, I'm very satisfied with the way this bike rides.

The only thing I need to do now is find a longer seat post. I'm running right at the minimum insert line, and would like to have more post in the frame. I haven't measured the seatpost, but suspect it's a 400mm. Can anyone confirm that?

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinsman330 View Post
    I have to ask a question as a relative newbie to serious mountain biking. Why do I read of so many folks going out and buying a new high end bike only to change all the components as soon as they get it home?

I guess its all about feel and weight and I may understand more when I have had a bit more experience. Just seems easier to buy a frame and start from scratch, perhaps a bit extreme! As for me the best weight saving I can make is get on the bike ride and eat less!

My question does have a serious point. I have just ordered the Anthem X 1 2013 and have considered changing the brakes, as the stock brakes seem to get varied reviews! I was also considering upgrading the cranks and shifters to XT to match the rear but am I really going to see any advantages? I will probably wait until I have spent some time on the bike to see how it performs or bust something before I change anything but any advice greatly appreciated.

Please accept the first two paragraphs as tongue in cheek!
    Several reasons but here is the main one. Lets say you buy a frame for $1600. You want XT components. It will cost you another $1600 for the build kit and you still may not have a complete bike.

Now, you can go buy a compete bike for $3200 and it has full Sram X7. You sell all the X7 stuff and buy XT parts a bit at a time. In the mean time, you have a bike to ride.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Silentfoe

Thank you that makes perfect sense. So XT rather than SLX? Shimano rather than SRAM?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinsman330 View Post
    Silentfoe

Thank you that makes perfect sense. So XT rather than SLX? Shimano rather than SRAM?
    NO !
    This is definitely up to Your preferences. Nobody will tell You which is better but everyone can tell You which prefer more.
    There are different aspects - usability, smoothness,maintenance etc - only when You have comparsion than you can honestly choose.
    When i tell You that i prefer SH it deosn't mean it's better - it just suits me more and i'm used to SH.
    If the main factor is maintenance than You can just look on statistics - how meny of us are satisfied from SH/SRAM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    depends on your use of the bike too, there isn't anything wrong with even shimanos entry level gear, Deore is fine. if you're just trail riding then it will do it's job day in day out for many years. i have a slx/xt combo bike and i know it won't let me down
    i have full deore on my touring bike and same thing.

nothing wrong with slx, especially the latest gear.

i have this years slx on my anthem and when your out on the trail, i can't feel much (if any) different to last years XT on my SurlyTroll

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks I am really looking forward to getting the Anthem. As I said earlier I will ride it for a while and not change anything. Most of my riding will me XC. I have been reading the reviews on new SLX spec seems solid enough.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Picked up my Anthem 29 X 2 yesterday. Two months to the day after I ordered it, but it was worth the wait. I haven't weighed it yet. I haven't taken any pictures. But I did hit a local trail for a 7 mile shake down. We did some setup on it at the shop, and I did some fine tuning after the first couple miles on the trail, but on the whole I have to say, I'm very satisfied with the way this bike rides.

The only thing I need to do now is find a longer seat post. I'm running right at the minimum insert line, and would like to have more post in the frame. I haven't measured the seatpost, but suspect it's a 400mm. Can anyone confirm that?
    Congrats on the purchase. Would be interested in how you find the SRAM components. I was looking at the X1 29er but someone who has ridden Anthems with both Fox and RS said he prefers the RS shocks on the Anthem Maestro units, which has got me thinking about the X2 instead.
    p.s. how much does it weight and what size frame do you have?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have gone for the 2013 X 1 with all Shimano rather than SRAM. I am 5ft 11.5 inches (always resented that last half inch!) with a 32 inside leg and according to Giant that means the medium frame is best for me. I am almost in to a large. They did have a large in stock and it felt too big. I tried the small in the X2 and X3 and they felt fine but to be honest so did the medium so thats what I went for.

When I get the bike I will let you know about the weight. I can tell you the large Anthem felt a lot lighter than the 26inch 2013 Trance they had in stock as did the X2 and X3. Should be here in a week or so. I have no idea about the shocks this is my first full suspension bike so have nothing to compare it to.

mtbr member

Anthem X 1

I just picked up an X1 in XL. It was 27 even on the shop scale. I swapped out a few things to stuff off my last bike. Put Hope/arches, thompson post, SLR saddle, xt brakes, and Haven carbon riser. It should be a little lighter but not a ton. Maybe 26.5 now. I took it out for a shakedown ride around the neighborhood trails yesterday and all i can say is that it rips. Really fun to ride, good in the twisty stuff, and efficient climbing. It was a big change for me coming off a Niner One 9 SS rigid. It took a good 10 miles to feel comfortable with the fs feel again. All of my decents were my fastest times ever, and several other top times according to my Strava. That is promising. It was so easy to go fast, felt efortless. I wasnt out trying to go hard. Lastly, it looks way, way better in person.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?-securedownload.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Anthem X Adv frame weight

Just weighed one up, size Med, 18": 2480 grams including der hanger, seatpost collar, h/s cups, and a few pieces of housing that were threaded through the frame. So, approx 2375'ish stripped totally bare.

For all those buying Anthem X's, remember to install a couple 1.2mm chainring spacers in the seatstay pivot bolts - the swingarm is welded too wide to match up with the linkages, so bearings will get damaged and rough if you don't realign things properly. Makes them run smoother for longer.
    Last edited by chrisclarkwhistler; 09-28-2012 at 05:48 PM. Reason: added info

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazid View Post
    Congrats on the purchase. Would be interested in how you find the SRAM components. I was looking at the X1 29er but someone who has ridden Anthems with both Fox and RS said he prefers the RS shocks on the Anthem Maestro units, which has got me thinking about the X2 instead.
    p.s. how much does it weight and what size frame do you have?
    This is the first bike I've had with SRAM components, and honestly it shifts more smoothly and things react faster on it than my last geared bike, which had XT components on it. Of course, that was a 2000 year model bike, so take that with a grain of salt. My frame is a L although I initially thought an XL might be better for me, but the L will suffice. I have not weighed the bike, as A) my scales won't go over 15lbs and B) I'm really not concerned with the "whole weight" of the bike. I know there's room for improvement.

I'm not sure why Giant is equipping the X2 with Elixir 1 brakes, or why they only use a 170mm rotor on the front. I feel like it takes too much effort to get effective braking out of the bike, although in a straight line test where I'm focused on braking, sufficient force can be brought to bare on things to stop the bike with authority. I think simply using a larger rotor up front would have helped though.

Also, the seat post the bike comes with is a 375mm post, and although I'm physically comfortable with the post all the way out to the minimum insert line, I'm mentally uncomfortable with the amount of post left in the frame. I'm thinking I'll put a 400mm post on just to get the extra inch of tube in the frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Here's my 2013 Anthem X 29er 3, international version. Total weight I need to measure, bike shop said it's around 12.5kg. I did shave off 100g swapping the stock Giant/Velo saddle with Fizik Gobi XM and another 100g taking off all the reflectors (4x wheel, front and back).

At the office, haven't gone to trails yet.

mtbr member
    very nice! which size? please post more pics
    ~ Too weird to live, too rare to die ~

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by arkhamasylum View Post
    Here's my 2013 Anthem X 29er 3, international version. Total weight I need to measure, bike shop said it's around 12.5kg. I did shave off 100g swapping the stock Giant/Velo saddle with Fizik Gobi XM and another 100g taking off all the reflectors (4x wheel, front and back).At the office, haven't gone to trails yet.
    more like 13kg+ with the stock wheels and parts..

I bought the X3 as I liked the red/white/black more and have already added XT parts with SLX brakes.
    Will be picking up a set of Crests/Hopes this week also to knock some more weight off...

Then I will start on the static parts...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by IRLMtb'er View Post
    more like 13kg+ with the stock wheels and parts..

I bought the X3 as I liked the red/white/black more and have already added XT parts with SLX brakes.
    Will be picking up a set of Crests/Hopes this week also to knock some more weight off...

Then I will start on the static parts...
    You're right, I just measured and mine is 13.1kg with Fizik Saddle and M770 pedals. Stock should be 13.3kg. Looking to change to Crests/hopes too, then drive train later.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by evil zlayo View Post
    very nice! which size? please post more pics
    will post more pics soon it's a 16"/Small.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    will post more pics soon it's a 16"/Small.
    What size are you?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by plupp View Post
    What size are you?
    I'm 5'8", 30" inseam. Small size, 16".

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the stock weight and sizing information. The red/white/black does look very nice imo.
    Your replacement SLX brakes don't come with 6 bolt config afaik (assuming you are talking about 2013).

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I went for the Medium, I'm 173cm and 78cm inseam... The Small frame size would just feel way too short of a reach...I prefer to be more "stretched out"...whereas with the Small size frame it would feel too cramped for me...and would have the seatpost up a lot more....

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm beetween S & M with 30.4" inseam and 5 feet 7.72 inches.

I have test ride both sizes but having a hard time to pick bike, currently I'm riding a Trance X S and XTC 26" S and feel they are a littble bit to small would I feel the same way if I go for Anthem Small?

Since I'm relative new to the sport 3 years and doing a lot of marathon races, I have never own a bike that is bigger than this so I have a hard time to know what the downside and upside of going with a larger frame would be.

My notice on the Small, I feel a little bit compact with arms but on a nice height of the bike, on the M-frame I think I have it easier standing up and pedal and also less feeling of going over the bar.

Should I stay at the M I did order or switch to a Small?

Epic rider
    Anthem x29 2013-3 medium 100% stock from shop, no pedals 12.95 kg.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9100 met Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?-uploadfromtaptalk1349903488777.jpg  

12 Anthem X29
    13 XTC 29

07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by plupp View Post
    currently I'm riding a Trance X S and XTC 26" S and feel they are a little bit to small would I feel the same way if I go for Anthem Small?
    You just answered your own question there..

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast