Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Go get the cheapest and then upgrade the drivetrain when budget permits.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Cotharyus: Pm sent.
    Silent - You riding your new carbon whip yet? do tell!
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    Silent - You riding your new carbon whip yet? do tell!
    Good and bad news...

Good news, I was just notified today that it will be here Monday, the 10th. It's on the truck!

Bad news, I leave Saturday the 8th for two weeks.

I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm in Australia and just picked up my X1 today, i think it looks way better in person, it's my first 29er too. I've just got to work, it's on the bike rack in the car park, boot full of tools and i'm heading out to the trails after work today for a set up/shake down ride!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    oh and i paid $2450 for it, i could have got it for $2160 cash but i had to do a payment plan unfortunately.
    it has a 24t smaller ring FYI.

mtbr member
    I'm waiting (impatiently) for my LBS to tell me my X2 is on the way. Days like today (when I rode 16 miles on a rigid SS yesterday) I'd love to have this bike here already for a less punishing ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    here's the first pic of mine in the Aussie bush, doing a shakedown test ride at the track for the Flight Centre Epic next week, nothing like making "Zahelu" with the new ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Finally Here!!

22.75 Lbs as you see it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?-anthem-x-advanced-0.jpg  

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by 40Lucky View Post
    22.75 Lbs as you see it.
    Im so glad Giant spec'd these properly. SID + RT3
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Any word on if the 2013 Anthems have dropper cable routing?
    Current:
    2013 Giant Trance X2 29er

Previous:
    2012.5 Giant Anthem X4 29er (SOLD)
    2013 Giant Trance X1 29er (SOLD)

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    Im so glad Giant spec'd these properly. SID + RT3
    Is the SID RL that much better than Fox CTD Evo?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JTAC View Post
    Any word on if the 2013 Anthems have dropper cable routing?
    my x29er 1 does.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    my x29er 1 does.
    I wish my 2012 did. Oh well, zipties work fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by plupp View Post
    Is the SID RL that much better than Fox CTD Evo?

Good question. I'd also like to know what those with experience of current forks and shocks think of these two technologies.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    my x29er 1 does.

Could you please take a picture of this?

I was disappointed that the 2012 models didn't get this. But adhesive cable guides work for a clean/sleek look.
    Current:

Previous:

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    weird view, bike is hanging up, taken from under the top tube.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    That looks really good. That settles it. I am getting a 2013 X4.
    Current:

Previous:

Your Best Friend

Her first 20 feet of dirt

Had an awesome fall ride yesterday and broke her in pretty good. Just in time as a storm broke today. Need to knock out some more miles before the 24 hours of Moab.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?-her-first-20-feet.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Had an awesome fall ride yesterday and broke her in pretty good. Just in time as a storm broke today. Need to knock out some more miles before the 24 hours of Moab.
    Silntfoe
    Can You give us Your impressions about RS combo. I'm wondering if RS setup is better/more suitable for Maestro. What's Your feeling about solo-air and small bump sensitivity.

Your Best Friend
    I've now ridden three diferent Anthems since last March. A 2012 Anthem X29er 2, a 1, and now an Advanced 0. The 2 and the 0 each used RS front and rear. The 1 was Fox f&r.

Without a doubt, even on the cheaper Anthem, the RS stuff made the bike work better. Don't really know what it is. The Monarch just has a better platform for the Maestro.

I've used several high end forks from both brands and I've found that I like how the RS ride much better. Once you learn how to set up the dual air, they are incredible. I think RS is making a huge mistake going to solo air. Being able to tune the negative air pressure really makes a difference in small bump compliance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've now ridden three diferent Anthems since last March. A 2012 Anthem X29er 2, a 1, and now an Advanced 0. The 2 and the 0 each used RS front and rear. The 1 was Fox f&r.

Without a doubt, even on the cheaper Anthem, the RS stuff made the bike work better. Don't really know what it is. The Monarch just has a better platform for the Maestro.

I've used several high end forks from both brands and I've found that I like how the RS ride much better. Once you learn how to set up the dual air, they are incredible. I think RS is making a huge mistake going to solo air. Being able to tune the negative air pressure really makes a difference in small bump compliance.
    The solo-air well i think we must wait for fist impressions, many bikers here spent months on testing trying different settings and some of them give up and some found their preeure. In my case it took 4 months. Maybe now it will be more set-forget...

Regardng RS-FOX

This is one of most usefull comments for me. Thanks. Drilling more can You explain in what way the RS was better, what are in your opinion the reasons thatRS suits Maesto better. Stiffer,more aggressive less plush, more progressive or maybe bike felt more like hardtail with RS?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Well, taken the plunge and ordered the 2013 Anthem X 1! Should be here in a week or two.

Agonised over the 2012 model and new Trance 29er, which confused the issue no end! If I could have found a medium 2012, I may have been tempted but it was a fine balance and in the end the cable runs for the dropper seat post and Shimano drive train tipped the balance, I have never ridden with SRAM so don't really know it and just feel more comfortable with Shimano. The price difference between the 2012 and 2013 was not really that great in the end in the UK (£300).

The Trance looked a great bike but most of my riding is going to be XC and when I looked at the 26 2013 trance it was heavier than the Anthem by a good margin so I assume the same will be true of the 29 inch version. All the same a great looking bike and felt really good, was tempting!

In the end a decision needed to be made so deposit handed over yesterday and bike ordered. Who knows by the time it arrives it may have stopped raining!

Looked at lots of bikes over the last few weeks but in this price range I have not seen a better bike.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Placek View Post
    The solo-air well i think we must wait for fist impressions, many bikers here spent months on testing trying different settings and some of them give up and some found their preeure. In my case it took 4 months. Maybe now it will be more set-forget...

Regardng RS-FOX

This is one of most usefull comments for me. Thanks. Drilling more can You explain in what way the RS was better, what are in your opinion the reasons thatRS suits Maesto better. Stiffer,more aggressive less plush, more progressive or maybe bike felt more like hardtail with RS?
    Four months to set up a dual-air? Give me five minutes and I'll have you happy on it.

Anyway RS vs. FOX, this is always opinion of the rider so take it with a grain of salt. I don't have a vested interest in either company so I don't think I'm biased. I could go into all my experience on both companies products, both front and rear but we'll make an assumption that I've ridden them a lot.

One thing I will add...as a shop tech, I see exponentially more fox forks in for service than I do RS. On an order of at least 5 to 1. That makes me much more familiar with the inner workings of the Fox. Take that as you will. Even with my own forks, my Fox required rebuild at least twice a year. I only rebuilt my RS because I felt guilty. My current RS RCT had redrum fluid up around the stanchion on the first 10 miles. On my second ride it stayed clean. So, it's either broken in now or out of redrum fluid.

I used a Fox RP23 on my Turner Sultan. Very linear in feel and very plush. The DW link has similar mechanics to the Maestro but of course they aren't the same. The bike didn't require the multiple platform settings to ride correctly and I never tried the same bike with a different shock, so, no real opinion.

The same Fox RP23 on the Anthem X2 was plush and linear. Very smooth through the travel and it definitely felt like you were using it all. You knew when you hit bottom. The bike just always felt like it was in the middle of its travel. Standing and pedaling were also hindered with this shock. The bike just felt slow.

The RS Monarch on the other hand is pretty progressive. Nice small bump compliance and it takes a pretty solid hit to move it through all the travel. Although the only way I know I used it all is back at the truck when I look at the O ring. Even without using the platform settings, the bike feels like it stays on top of its travel. No wallowing. Standing and pedaling is only slightly worse than my carbon hardtail.

I hope that helps a bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?-pine-hollow.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Silentfloe

One of most complex replies i have ever received.
    Thanks for that especially when You say that have no relation to each of companies moreover You’re on the tech side.
    First - those four months – this was time when I was trying all mixed settings with positive and negative chamber including Monarch RT. Wasn’t easy because some of rides were smooth and flat and others rocky so than different pressures appeared to be the best.
    Now coming back to Your feelings about RS on Anthem – mine are exactly the same. Even on all open settings the suspension feels stiff, really small bumps are better absorbed by small tire pressure than suspension ant this gives a feeling like Maestro wasn’t working but on the other hand You have full clibing/racing possibilities including efficient stand-pedaling.
    When small roots/rocks appears than You know that you ride FS, O-ring begins to work and to bottom it You need to hit it strongly or just swallow 1-2feet drop.
    During my last ride I meet a guy who is using fox and he was missing RS because when he brakes or try to climb every time he looses half of travel – ok that’s his personal opinion but close to Yours.
    Your experience whispers to smile to RS when I like race, love to accelerate and from time to time hit a bigger stone. I think I couldn’t stand waving with fox. Now I understand why FOX wins on TRAIL and AM/FR bikes.
    And sorry for my English….

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast