Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    You could probably get the Advanced 0 XL under 23 pounds running tubeless but it's a challenge with the carbon wheels per my LBS. I am enjoying my X1 but have only ridden it twice and don't have a solid opinion of it yet - it is a big improvement over my Anthem X1 26er though. Weight with Mavic SLR wheels, XT brakes and pedals is 24.8 lbs.

Your Best Friend
    Going tubeless doesn't save a significant amount of weight, especially when using high end wheels/tires/tubes although that is the first upgrade I will do. I don't think an XL will add half a pound of carbon in the front tri (rear tri is exactly the same) and my pedals weigh less than 1/2 a pound. Glad you like your X1.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    I think the only one lighter is the S-Works Epic. When (and if) my bike comes in I'll post pictures of the build and weights of some of the specific parts. It will take some time before I post a full review because I feel it takes a bit before you truly know how a bike feels.
    that S-Works Epic costs about as much as my parents spent on their first house (granted that was back in the 70s but still, come ON). I know it's a niche market, but that's unreal. I have a Specialized cross bike that I like very much, but I've never really cottoned onto their rear suspension platform on their XC dual suspension bikes anyway. Different strokes.

for less than what you'd spend for one of those, we're getting a pair of the AX Advanced 1s, with enough left over for nice racing wheelsets (kudos to everyone on the thread who said to keep the stock ones; I agree - husband just needed to see it justified I think).

Looking forward to seeing pics, and hearing both your first impressions, and a longer term review Silentfoe!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
    Why are bikes in Australia so cheap? They have the 0 for $7499 AUD, which converts to ~$7700 USD. The US retail price is $8900.

Alas, up here in Canada I'm told we won't see it until the date really is 2013. A road trip south may be in order.
    2012 Anthem X 29er is about US$2900 in HK while the MSRP in US is $3800
    2013 price list isn't out yet

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    I found the setup for sus pressure and tires got better by dropping a bit - gained a bit of plush by dropping both frt/rr under "spec" for my weight
    good recommendations! I've found with the Maestros I've had (Trance X, Anthem X, both 26ers) the key to the suspension setup is mainly balance and then getting the rebound damping right. On my current bike I do prefer to run the rear locked much of the time, particularly while climbing, and only open it up on longer rougher descents or technical bits. It took me a couple tries of fiddling on both my prior and current Giants to get the rebound sussed out too; on the Trance particularly if it was setup too slow, the whole bike felt like it was dragging a load. On the AX 29er, even for a demo, the rear felt properly sorted out of the gate, with the shock setup to a stock weight setting and neutral on the propedal. I didn't even bother to try to figure out how the propedal worked, it was just that good.

tires do make a huge difference. There is no comparison between running a lightweight supple XC tire (Aspen, Racing Ralph, Small Block 8, whatever) tubeless at ~23 psi versus a stiffer cheaper tire using tubes and pumped up to 40. You want a laugh, back in the 90s we'd all ride these insane-o 1.7 or 1.9 bald centre skinnies on uber stiff hardtails, pumped up to around 55 to race in the Midwest, but then the XC races in that region offered about as much technical challenge as a bike lane (when the whole course wasn't a foot deep in mud, that is).

it sounds as tho you are solving a similar equation from a slightly different starting point; it sounds as if you are someone who prefers more of a trail / AM ride (and you're likely a better technical rider than either of us, too) who's looking for greater speed and weight savings from a do-it-all machine. Our approach is more that of being roadies and ex hardtail XC racers looking for help in the rough stuff and greater comfort in the saddle on longer, more technical trails and race days. ...that plus neither of us is in our 20s anymore and the sore back thing gets old.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    This is killing me. My Anthem X29 Advanced 0 has been on order since the end of March and they have told me it won't be here until August. I've been riding an Athem X29 2 and 1 for the last 3 months and really like how they ride although I'm a weight weenie and the 28lb heft is killing me. I am most interested to see if the bike meets the weight projections posted in other reviews. They have said the medium X0 weighs 22.06lbs w/o pedals. I figure my XL w/ pedals should still be under 23lbs. That would make these bikes some of the lightest off the shelf FS 29ers available. I think the only one lighter is the S-Works Epic. When (and if) my bike comes in I'll post pictures of the build and weights of some of the specific parts. It will take some time before I post a full review because I feel it takes a bit before you truly know how a bike feels.
    Silent - Here I thought you were sporting your new whip already! I recall reading way back when your order on it... Bummer everyone is having to wait so long... I too am a bit of a ww and would never tolerate a 28lb anthem either.

Like you mine was an X2 build and by simply putting on my Pacenti's/I9's (which are far from light) my normal saddle (275 grams), and egg beaters Its now just over 26 lbs... I can live with that weight considering its my "Beat around bike" everything else Is stock, except grips and handle bar but no weight saving there...

Anyway, the claim is that the carbon frame is .41lbs lighter than the Aluxx frame, however the Aluxx frame is LIGHT to begin with! Almost as light as some carbon frames at 5.2lbs!! Which means, if one were so inclined, they could build a light race bike out of the Alum frame also and would never be more than .5lb heavier than the Advanced. So 23lbs should be easy and relatively cheap on the Alu version if one was so inclined...

Im not saying there is no reason for an Advanced of course, being a large fan of carbon myself the added rigidity is a huge plus. I can't wait to hear some ride reports
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lonefrontranger View Post
    good recommendations! I've found with the Maestros I've had (Trance X, Anthem X, both 26ers) the key to the suspension setup is mainly balance and then getting the rebound damping right. On my current bike I do prefer to run the rear locked much of the time, particularly while climbing, and only open it up on longer rougher descents or technical bits. It took me a couple tries of fiddling on both my prior and current Giants to get the rebound sussed out too; on the Trance particularly if it was setup too slow, the whole bike felt like it was dragging a load. On the AX 29er, even for a demo, the rear felt properly sorted out of the gate, with the shock setup to a stock weight setting and neutral on the propedal. I didn't even bother to try to figure out how the propedal worked, it was just that good.

NO doubt about it - mine worked well from the get go - even better once I tuned it just as you state!!

tires do make a huge difference. There is no comparison between running a lightweight supple XC tire (Aspen, Racing Ralph, Small Block 8, whatever) tubeless at ~23 psi versus a stiffer cheaper tire using tubes and pumped up to 40. You want a laugh, back in the 90s we'd all ride these insane-o 1.7 or 1.9 bald centre skinnies on uber stiff hardtails, pumped up to around 55 to race in the Midwest, but then the XC races in that region offered about as much technical challenge as a bike lane (when the whole course wasn't a foot deep in mud, that is).

Midwest? Sconnie by chance? I bought my first mt bike in College in Lacrosse in the 80's - not a lot of trails but yeah - what rode than (and loved) compared to now - yikes!

it sounds as tho you are solving a similar equation from a slightly different starting point; it sounds as if you are someone who prefers more of a trail / AM ride (and you're likely a better technical rider than either of us, too) who's looking for greater speed and weight savings from a do-it-all machine. Our approach is more that of being roadies and ex hardtail XC racers looking for help in the rough stuff and greater comfort in the saddle on longer, more technical trails and race days. ...that plus neither of us is in our 20s anymore and the sore back thing gets old.
    the AX29 is an amazing bike, iI've stated many times it rides way bigger than its spec would suggest. don't know i'd be any better a rider than you - ha - but the trance for a non-racer guy who will consistently ride some burly trails looks very intrgiuing and I seem to be afflicted with the new bike want syndrome too frequently!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    So 23lbs should be easy and relatively cheap on the Alu version if one was so inclined...
    How are some of you achieving such weights on your aluminum AX 29ers?

I started with a 2012 AX 29er 1 and have since swapped out just about everything for lighter stuff:

- Chris King hubs (ISO 15mm SD front, 135QR rear) laced to Stans ZTR Crest rims w/ DT Super Comp spokes and alloy nipples (about 1600g)
    - Racing Ralphs running tubeless with 1.5 oz of sealant
    - X0 2x10 FD, RD, carbon cranks, shifters, brakes (HS1 rotor 180/160 F/R)
    - XX 11-36T cassette (208g), 1091R chain
    - Easton EC70 XC bar (155g), ESI silicone grips (60g)
    - Crank Brothers Cobalt 11 seatpost (157g)
    - XT SPD pedals (352g)

The frame is a small and with all of the above components, tips the scales at exactly 25.0 pounds. The biggest weight savings were by far the wheels, carbon bars/post, and cassette. I could probably stand to use lighter pedals and a saddle...

But sub-23 pounds is another 900g away! How the heck is one supposed to shave almost another kliogram?

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by davecheng View Post

I started with a 2012 AX 29er 1 and have since swapped out just about everything for lighter stuff:

- Chris King hubs (ISO 15mm SD front, 135QR rear) laced to Stans ZTR Crest rims w/ DT Super Comp spokes and alloy nipples (about 1600g)
    - XT SPD pedals (352g)

The frame is a small and with all of the above components, tips the scales at exactly 25.0 pounds. The biggest weight savings were by far the wheels, carbon bars/post, and cassette. I could probably stand to use lighter pedals and a saddle...

But sub-23 pounds is another 900g away! How the heck is one supposed to shave almost another kliogram?
    Being a WW, let me help you out. CK hubs are not light and while super nice, shouldn't be used as a weight reducing measure. I picked up some American Classic Race 29er wheels and they weighed in at 1420g w/15mm front and 10mm rear axles. Thats 180g (more than 1/4lbs) lighter than yours.

XT pedals are not light. I use Xpedo Titanium pedals at 210g. That is 142g lighter than yours (another 1/4lb).

You could also drop your front rotor to a 160 and also lose the adapter. I weigh 200lbs and never use a 180 and I do some crazy races.

You see where I am going? Bit by bit it all adds up.

Epic rider
    My AX29 large weighs 10.9 kg, everything swapped from stock.
    I could get it at 10.0 kg, but it would cost 1500 euro... 10.3 kg would cost 900 euro. My CK wheels would need to go either way.
    So, it all depends on your budget and intended use. Obviously, making the right choices first time is important too, could save some money.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9100 met Tapatalk
    12 Anthem X29
    13 XTC 29

07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by davecheng View Post

- XT SPD pedals (352g)

You just explained exactly why I no longer use components above X9 level or kill myself over a few grams.

I have a stock medium X2 build and all I did was replace the wheels and its 26.4lbs I dont even want to know what it cost you total to get yours to 25lbs... Cause Ive been there...

Once you get past a certain level shaving a couple grams at a time just is not worth the astronomical prices IMO...

Having said that 23lbs is still very achievable for an Anthem and it takes shaving those few grams over many parts to add up.
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if the Anthem X 29er 2 spec changed any from 2012 to 2013? I realize this thread speaks mostly to the "Advanced" but I'm talking AL because it's been mentioned a few times in the thread. I'm looking at one, and my shop is indicating that the '12's are out of stock in XL, and I'll have to wait for a 13.

Your Best Friend
    Cotharyus: Pm sent.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Im also interested in news about AL x29 0&1 if they going to chane specs from Sram/rockshox to Shimano/fox! So I lnow if i should find a 2012 or wait for 2013.

carbon classic
    Jul 2011

2013 Anthem x29er's

Basic specification details and Australian pricing is starting to emerge for 2013 AX29er's including women's models.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?-2013_perf_earlyrelease-2.jpg  

carbon classic
    Jul 2011

Anthem x29er - 0 (2013)

Anthem x29er - 0 (2013)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    That's interesting. They're no longer showing a 2 on there. Hmm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Interesting to see that the x0 has the new P-XCR wheelset, whereas the x1 retains the P-XC2.

I wonder if they'll have a 24/38 crankset on them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Should I wait for 2013 Anthem X 29er 1 or buy a 2012? From what I see above they switched from SRAM x7 / x9 to shimano slx / deore xt, is that the only difference?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JPelletier View Post
    Should I wait for 2013 Anthem X 29er 1 or buy a 2012? From what I see above they switched from SRAM x7 / x9 to shimano slx / deore xt, is that the only difference?
    It looks like the 2013 X1 has the new CTD (Climb, Trail, Descend) Fork and I imagine there'll be a Fox Fox Float CTD Boostvalve replacing the RP2 on the rear. I'm not aware of Shimano doing anything smaller than 26/38 on the 2x10 so the gearing should be the same.

mtbr member
    Keep in mind the sheet above is for Australian specs, it could be different for US spec bikes. I'm in a must-wait situation because there are no more of the bike I wanted in my size.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Holy crap!

The X1 model looks really ugly... and with SLX cranks.

Anyone been able to get full specs?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?-imag0307.jpg  

mtbr member
    No, still no information available at my LBS right now. Where ever those bikes were for sale should have a full catalog though. Is that an X2 behind it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The pic is from a google search, e-mail sent to the shop owner. Yepp, must be a X2 in the background, looks way better then the X1.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by plupp View Post
    The pic is from a google search, e-mail sent to the shop owner. Yepp, must be a X2 in the background, looks way better then the X1.
    110% agree, I'll be upgrading to the X2 soon or a 2011 S Works. Decision.......
    ________
    12' BMC Fourstroke FS02 XT
    13' Epic S-Works XX1
    14' Epic S-Works WC XX1

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast