Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14
    mtbr member
    Nice. Thanks guys, I'm going to mount up this tire and go with it then. It worked well up front for a little while last year, but I pulled it when I converted stuff over to tubeless. That conti has a sidewall like a sieve. Sealant just drips out of it. I'm going to tube this one for now and put some thought into my next rear tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    This is good to hear as the 2.35 Racing Ralph or Nob Nic are the main >2.25 options I had in mind.
    Morkys,
    You should consider the Maxxis Ikon 2.35, it's a big volume tire that I've run on the rear with plenty of room to spare. This tire feels a little more plush as a rear as it rides better at lower pressure than the Ralph. With the Ralph, there is a fine line between just rite and squirmy and feeling the rim. With the Ikon I was surprised at how low I could go without feeling the rim. Slight weight penalty with the ikon but thicker side wall and cushier ride that still rolls fast.

Also, when your fork/shock needs service have it tuned by Push or Suspension Experts and you (and your back) will be amazed at the performance. They will get the the most out of the Fox gear.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hi guys,
    Does anyone know if the 2013 Anthem 29 alloy is drilled for a Reverb Stealth?

thanks

Your Best Friend
    No. Not specifically.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I just logged on here to ask a similar question. I want to try larger tires for more cush and traction. Mainly more cush for my low back.

The AX29'er doesn't appear to have lots of room in back with the RaRa 2.25. I'd like to try a 2.3/2.35 to 2.4 Schwalbe or other. I seldom ride in mud, but can't always avoid all of the mud all the time.

Cotharyus,

Searching, I found this. Not sure if the rear triangle design is 100% identical for years 2011-2013 but here is what I found:

2011 Anthem X 29er-Maximum Tire Width

For a little more feedback from others...

Thanks ha-evolution for telling us what fit on your bike. For you and anyone else running a tire 2.35 or 2.4, how is the fit? Is there much room left for mud or wheel warp? Anybody have any pictures of their AX29 with a larger rear tire than stock?

The Fox and RS forks look like they can fit larger tires. What have you used on the front?
    You don't get a lot if any more cush going from a 2.25 to a 2.35/2.4 Ra Ra. Tire casing has as much to do with cush as anything.Geax and Michelins ride pretty smooth out the rear in a 2.2, 2.25 size. In some cases the larger volume tire bounce more. In a 2.4 the xking racesport would be my fav. Tall but narrow but I wouldn't give it the nod for much extra cush in the rear. The Ra Ra 2.25/2.4 is noticeably slower on smooth terrain.Different story again when comparing tires up front. there is usually a more distinct cush from the bigger casing. not always though. A ro ro 2.25 rides smoother than a 2.35 Ra Ra up front. It would be the smoothest front tire I've ever used.

You'll find your lower back takes a hit on seated g outs more than anything. in which case tirs make very lttle difference. i do a lot of seated marathon rides on my ax and I've got it to ride very nicely seated over G outs. It actaully feels as good in that situation as my 130mm Kona satori.
    Run good amounts of sag, 12 to 14 mm[ ride a FSR in comparison if you think 30% + sag is too much for the AX] I set my bikes up so I can just about use all my travel when you doing 10 to 15 MPH seated over a big dip[g out]. you will use as much or more travel then as you ever will satanding descending. On a seated g out high speed comp damping does not kick in much.
    Run a 27.2 carbon seat post and a shim like a USE seatpost shim. The carbon seat post will give you loads more compliance over this sort of terrain than tires. It feels like it adds at least another 20mm more travel and takes out that sudden jolt. I couldn't ride a 29er carbon hardtail without one.
    If you lock out the rear shock on smooth climbs you will get some bob though.
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 12-31-2013 at 11:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    No. Not specifically.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    You don't get a lot if any more cush going from a 2.25 to a 2.35/2.4 Ra Ra. Tire casing has as much to do with cush as anything.Geax and Michelins ride pretty smooth out the rear in a 2.2, 2.25 size. In some cases the larger volume tire bounce more. In a 2.4 the xking racesport would be my fav. Tall but narrow but I wouldn't give it the nod for much extra cush in the rear. The Ra Ra 2.25/2.4 is noticeably slower on smooth terrain.Different story again when comparing tires up front. there is usually a more distinct cush from the bigger casing. not always though. A ro ro 2.25 rides smoother than a 2.35 Ra Ra up front. It would be the smoothest front tire I've ever used.

You'll find your lower back takes a hit on seated g outs more than anything. in which case tirs make very lttle difference. i do a lot of seated marathon rides on my ax and I've got it to ride very nicely seated over G outs. It actaully feels as good in that situation as my 130mm Kona satori.
    Run good amounts of sag, 12 to 14 mm[ ride a FSR in comparison if you think 30% + sag is too much for the AX] I set my bikes up so I can just about use all my travel when you doing 10 to 15 MPH seated over a big dip[g out]. you will use as much or more travel then as you ever will satanding descending. On a seated g out high speed comp damping does not kick in much.
    Run a 27.2 carbon seat post and a shim like a USE seatpost shim. The carbon seat post will give you loads more compliance over this sort of terrain than tires. It feels like it adds at least another 20mm more travel and takes out that sudden jolt. I couldn't ride a 29er carbon hardtail without one.
    If you lock out the rear shock on smooth climbs you will get some bob though.
    Ok. I will consider what you say about tires. I may just stick with the one's I have in the end. I ordered the Morgaw seat with the rubber bushings, so that could be nice with a carbon seatpost.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I find any with a flexible shell lke SDG work well. Easton 27.2 posts have a nice firm but compliant feel to them. I use the USE seat shim and a 27.2 post.
    USE Thermoplastic Shim | Chain Reaction Cycles

The FSA had a bit too much flex.A 30.9 post gives you some flex . Just a matter of how much you want and whats too much. Maybe try a few Ebay ones first.ust watch you get enough setback if you need it. Cheaper than a new bike though.

Easton EC70 Seatpost 27 2 Carbon New | eBay
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 02-13-2014 at 05:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Improving climbing.

First ride of the year and again I'm noticing the trouble I have climbing out of the saddle. My tire could be worn after last year, but looking at it, I don't think it's worn enough to put all the blame on the tire. Climbing in the saddle is very good, it's only out of the saddle I start to lose traction more often than I would like. We're talking lose terrain here with some small rocks and roots. My only other issue is the front fork vibration, but otherwise, the bike works well.

I'm wondering if the 18.2" long chainstays really are playing a big part. Perhaps as I stand up I lean forward and my weight goes too far from the rear wheel to the front wheel. Other bikes have shorter stays:

Trance X 29 has 17.8"
    Niner Jet Nine and SC Tallboy LT 17.9"
    SC Tallboy having 17.5"
    KHS Prescott 17.7"
    Trek Superfly is 17.8
    Spec Epic = 17.28" (!)

Without giving up on this platform, I am thinking of trying a slightly shorter stem to keep my weight back a bit more when standing. With my back, it's ok if I am a bit more upright. I am also going to try a more aggressive, possibly larger rear tire, but hopefully not too heavy and reasonably low rolling resistance. For comparison, I will try my 26" Brodie Mettle FS bike (with 26" tires and also with 650b) and see how climbing goes. I'll review tire suggestions in this thread and elsewhere.

I am not at home right now to measure the stem.
    How long is the stock stem? My bike is a 13 AX29 Medium.
    Last edited by morkys; 04-25-2014 at 09:38 AM.

Your Best Friend
    It's all about technique. This bike is a seated climber. If you want to climb standing, you need to adjust yourself. No stem change is going to fix that.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    It's all about technique. This bike is a seated climber. If you want to climb standing, you need to adjust yourself. No stem change is going to fix that.
    I'm sure technique is a big part of it. I'm wondering how my other bike climbs in comparison.

Where do you ride, what terrain? What tire do you use on the rear?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Does your Fox EVO CTD fork flex/vibrate under braking?

I can fine tune or improve my and this bikes climbing abilities, but I am finding that the fork may have issues that are a bigger concern to me at the moment.

My bike is a 13 AX29 medium with stock parts except for XT brakes and a 180 mm front rotor.

Last year after riding my bike for a few months, after I had the front fox fork serviced for a CTD control malfunction, I thought the front forks performance was bad because it was vibrating on downhills. I am almost certain I only noticed this after I sent the fork in to have it fixed.

On my first ride this year, I paid particularly close attention to the fork on downhills and I now realize that the fork is not "jack-hammering". Instead, I notice that under braking, the front end seems to be vibrating fore and aft. It feels like it's flexing front to back repeatedly. This vibration causes my brake and shifter cables to vibrate in a regular way. It happens when I go down hills. It does not seem as though it has to be bumpy for the fork to vibrate the way it does.

Does anybody else have a problem with their Fox EVO CTD fork vibrating fore and aft under braking?

I am going to compare with my other bike which is a 26" FS with different Fox forks and different Deore brakes. I have checked the Giants headset and it seems like it was adjusted properly, although I re-adjusted it again to be sure. I looked at the disc surface and the pad is not wearing on the rotor spokes. My brakes do squeel a bit. I can look at the calipers closer to see if anything un-usual is happening. I wonder if something else changed during the service Fox did that causes this fore/aft vibration.

thanks in advance for any feedback

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have the 2013 Anthem with the Fox fork as well. I experience some vibration while braking, but I thought that it was related to the brakes themselves. I still have the Elixirs (which I think are excellent by the way), and I thought that the problem was with them. But if you experience the same problem as me with XT brakes then I'm not so sure anymore...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I wonder if it's the fork by design or a faulty part, or faster than normal wear of internals parts like the bushings. It almost seems like a resonating situation.

Have you always noticed the front end vibration while braking?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    No, it started quite recently.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I bought a new X3 at the begingingof the season, so far I have upgraded everything except the shocks. Running full XO 2x10 setup,XT brakes, SunRingle wheels. Looking to upgrade the shocks front and rear. What Rock Shox combination do you guys recommend? What size is the rear shock? I am 6"2 and weigh 230 with all gear on. Mostly XC rides

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    If you are going RS, go for the Monarch XX and SID XX and add dual sprint remote. If not, go for the new Fox Factory

Shock is 165x38.

mtbr member
    I wonder if it's the fork by design or a faulty part, or faster than normal wear of internals parts like the bushings. It almost seems like a resonating situation.

Have you always noticed the front end vibration while braking?
    You guys may want to try taking your rotors off and sanding them down to resurface them and change brake pads. The vibration you're describing sounds like problem with the front brake, possibly from contaminated brake pads. From my experience, the vibration is a pretty common characteristic in Avid brakes; not so much in XT brakes (though I have heard mine howling a bit lately). At least that would be a relatively inexpensive way to narrow down the problem and won't take you off your bike, like it would if you had to send your fork in, just to have them tell you nothing is wrong with it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Good idea. I have a spare 160 mm rotor and shimano pads I can swap in just for trouble shooting purposes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Does anyone know if the rear XT derailleur is a long or medium (or something else) cage?

mtbr member
    By rights, it should be a medium cage. Generally the defining rule is a 3x uses a long cage, 2x uses medium, and 1x uses short.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by Innota View Post
    Does anyone know if the rear XT derailleur is a long or medium (or something else) cage?
    Mine (2x10) 2013 AX1 was long cage

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14