Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quick suggestions for rear shock and fork air pressure for a 195 # + rider? 2013 Anthem X1 29. Original Fox CTD fork and shock.

Your Best Friend

Re: 2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?

80psi in the fork, 180 in the back.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks. I need to recheck it before my next ride. I think I may not have had enough in the fork and shock this time. Still, it rode very well. I will check psi in shocks before next ride and give some more feedback. I am hoping possible low psi did not give me a false impression, but this bike is quick handling. As quick or quicker than my 26" Brodie Mettle FS bike. The AX1 29 is stock except for XTR pedals and XT brakes.

2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?-untitled-1.jpg

This is the rewarding view after a fairly long climb from the creek valley trail below.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?

I am about the same weight and came up with very similar numbers to what silentfoe suggested, and it puts me right at the suggested sag. I also downloaded Fox's iPhone App (Fox Intelligent Ride Dynamics), and it also came up with similar numbers.

For reference suggested sag is:
    Front: 15-19mm
    Rear: 8-10mm

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?

On a related note - I don't know about everyone else but I found it a bit troubling that my shop couldn't give me this setup info but rather I had to seek it out myself. To me this is a big gap in costumer service. Not all shops are this way, but man if you're selling bikes of this level or higher regularly (and they are) it baffles me that they wouldn't know how to set them up.

mtbr member
    Agreed it's surprising they couldn't have given you at least a starting point or some guidelines on how to setup your suspension. My shop asked me my weight and dialed in my suspension before I left with my bike. Got it pretty much dead on also.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GT5050 View Post
    I am about the same weight and came up with very similar numbers to what silentfoe suggested, and it puts me right at the suggested sag. I also downloaded Fox's iPhone App (Fox Intelligent Ride Dynamics), and it also came up with similar numbers.

For reference suggested sag is:
    Front: 15-19mm
    Rear: 8-10mm
    I like to use all my travel and run at least 12mm sag in the rear. The front is set so I just use all the travel onj the big hits. I'm 160lbs and use about 55 psi in the front[2011 F100RLC] and about 145psi in the rear. If i need to i'll run with mid platform or some propedal or in trail etc. That way you have a firmer initial feel but it will blow through on the bigger stuff to use all the travel. Much more capable trail bike that way.If you've only got 100mm of travel, best to use it all most of the time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Climb mode on my CTD has failed. No resistance and then bangs into dampening 2/3-1/2 way down. 80 PSI in fork and rebound set to half-way. Anybody else have this problem? [CORRECTION] Trail mode seems "OK" as does descend mode, although they both have a change of feel part way down, past 1/2 travel. F100 RLC 26" fork does not have this. I wish I had an F100 RLC 29'er fork on this bike. Instead, I am entertaining the idea of an RS RLT or RCT3.

Still, with the FOX CTD in Trail mode, I felt the bike climbed, turned and decended well. I am un-sure of what people mean by less than sharp handling. I tried to turn sharply into turns and through a switch back and didn't have any issue with the long chainstays. The bike tracked sharp and true. If anything, the stability reduced necessary body english. I like the feel of the long bars, but, they are an issue in tight turns with close trees, branches, and going through narrow sections. I am considering narrowing my bars a bit, but not much. I am not a big manual'er but with some pedal force and effort on the bars I could lift the front end up when needed, albeit, not catwalk high. BB height seemed ok. I tested fate rolling over some drop ruts on downhills, but remembered that the smaller chainring of the 2 x protected me there, plus I am used to timing my pedal strokes anyways. I don't know if its because the new bike seat is, well, new, but it felt really good, better than I thought since it doesn't have a split design. I rode my 26" yesterday and couldn't deal with sitting, the seat is that bad. I need a new seat for that bike.

Overall experience on first ride (except for noticing the disappointing failure of Climb mode) was very positive.

Anyone else have a Fox CTD with failed Climb mode? Can I keep riding it in Trail mode without fear of Trail mode self-destructing? I don't want to send this fork in and be without a bike for the long weekend.
    Last edited by morkys; 05-16-2013 at 09:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Are there any local shops that do fox rebuilds? On my current bike everything's fine (2013 Anthem X1), but on my last bike the Fox Fork had issues on my second ride with it. I sent it to Fox for repair - though it was a quick turnaround and I was happy with everything, I found out later that there are some local shops who could have handled the work.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    Climb mode on my CTD has failed. No resistance and then bangs into dampening 2/3-1/2 way down. 80 PSI in fork and rebound set to half-way. Anybody else have this problem? Trail mode seems the same as does descend mode, although they both have a change of feel part way down, past 1/2 travel. F100 RLC 26" fork does not have this. I wish I had an F100 RLC 29'er fork on this bike. Instead, I am entertaining the idea of an RS RLT or RCT3.

Still, with the FOX CTD in Trail mode, I felt the bike climbed, turned and decended well. I am un-sure of what people mean by less than sharp handling. I tried to turn sharply into turns and through a switch back and didn't have any issue with the long chainstays. The bike tracked sharp and true. If anything, the stability reduced necessary body english. I like the feel of the long bars, but, they are any issue in tight turns with close trees, branches, and going through narrow sections. I am considering narrowing my bars a bit, but not much. I am not a big manual'er but with some pedal force and effort on the bars I could lift the front end up when needed, albeit, not catwalk high. BB height seemed ok. I tested fate rolling over some drop ruts on downhills, but remembered that the smaller chainring of the 2 x protected me there, plus I am used to timing my pedal strokes anyways. I don't know if its because the new bike seat is, well, new, but it felt really good, better than I thought since it doesn't have a split design. I rode my 26" yesterday and couldn't deal with sitting, the seat is that bad. I need a new seat for that bike.

Overall experience on first ride (except for noticing the disappointing failure of Climb mode) was very positive.

Anyone else have a Fox CTD with failed Climb mode? Can I keep riding it in Trail mode without fear of Trail mode self-destructing? I don't want to send this fork in and be without a bike for the long weekend.
    I'd just ride it in descend mode all the time until you can get it sorted.
    I ride my RLC wide open anyway. Just fine tune it with air pressure.On a 100mm fork, brake dive etc is just not an issue. Don't need all that other rubbish.Usually it just causes spiking anyway.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Any other AX1 29 riders with Fox CTD issues, particularly in Climb mode?

I could try descend mode. I didn't find the fork very plush to begin with in Trail mode, not that it was bad. It could be faulty though. I read something on the singletrack forums where there was a recall, but it sounded more to do with the remote setup. I emailed Fox and have heard nothing back yet. I may check oil level at the very least. Is it easy enough for a person to check oil level?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Even though they have changed the air curves again, the descend mode should be the same as the pre CTD normal mode that uses factory set shimmed compression damping. Any trail , climb, ls compression etc is just introducing a type of platform system. Usually with a basic variable orifice. IMHO they all introduce some level of spiking.I haven't ridden any CTD forks though.

WebHelp

lower bath oil may, but I doubt cartridge oil level would be wrong.
    Check fork service info, possibly for a gen 3 O/B unless you have a FIt cartridge fork. The last part of the service will detail how to fill forks with oil. it's acomplete drain and refil process though, not a linear measurement.

Best to put up a thread in the Suspension Forum to see if someone has had similar symptoms or if it's normal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks. I will check that link. I did put up thread, no reponses yet.

OEM Fox CTD fork malfunctioning in Climb mode.

My fork is oem and therefore OB not FIT.

EDIT

I phoned the shop and they say the fork would have to be sent in but I should be able to use it in Trail and/or Descend mode for now. If it doesn't have enough oil, hopefully my using it for a few days won't harm it, but, then again, it's not my fault it was sent this way and the shop did tell me it's ok to ride it for a few days, so...what can I do?

One way I know something is wrong with the fork is that if I put it in Climb mode and then back to Trail, the Trail mode has a strange feeling mid-stroke, almost like a vague ghost of the feeling I had in Climb mode. If I then put it in Descend mode and pump the fork up and down, and back to Trail, the Trail mode feels better. Putting it in Climb mode always results in odd behavior.
    Last edited by morkys; 05-17-2013 at 08:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Brough my bicycle into the shop. My forks will be sent away. One guy said 4 to 6 weeks and the other guy said 2 to 4 weeks. Not exactly the service I was hoping for with a brand new bike ridden 3 times. Some people have said the turn around could possibly be sooner, like less than 2 weeks, so here is hoping.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My experience with Fox is this is the peak season and they are very busy. I had my shock sent off on my last bike in the off season (January). Fox hooked my up with a red tag expedited service because the shock was only a couple weeks old. The service only took about 3 days but with shipping I was out about 2.5 weeks. Fox second day shipped back to me from CA to GA. Good luck. I hope your shop got you some sort of expedited service.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    Brough my bicycle into the shop. My forks will be sent away. One guy said 4 to 6 weeks and the other guy said 2 to 4 weeks. Not exactly the service I was hoping for with a brand new bike ridden 3 times. Some people have said the turn around could possibly be sooner, like less than 2 weeks, so here is hoping.
    This is why I have switched everything to Rock Shox. Super simple for shops to wok on so no need to send out plus they are in Chicago so if I have an issue turnaround would be way faster than shipping all the way to California.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I bought a 2013 AX1 in September last year and only road it a few times until this year when I started noticing a clunk like the fork was topping out. Took it to the shop and the Fox rep happened to be there. He took one look at the fork and said the damper units in that model were faulty. He grabbed a new one, the shop mechanic installed it and everything is fine.
    Just letting you know there are some bad Fox parts out there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride View Post
    This is why I have switched everything to Rock Shox. Super simple for shops to wok on so no need to send out plus they are in Chicago so if I have an issue turnaround would be way faster than shipping all the way to California.
    This is not a complexity issue at all. I am sure someone can work on the Fox as well as RS. The issue here is warranty. If it were RS it would have to be sent out just like the Fox stuff. Giant or Giant dealer does not perform the warranty repair on Fox or RS.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    This is not a complexity issue at all. I am sure someone can work on the Fox as well as RS. The issue here is warranty. If it were RS it would have to be sent out just like the Fox stuff. Giant or Giant dealer does not perform the warranty repair on Fox or RS.
    Gotcha. Warranty issue is definitely what it is right now. It would be nice to get a replacement plain and simple right off the bat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Too bad your suspension failed. I have been riding (sometimes abusing) mine for the past couple of months with no issue (I'll keep fingers crossed).

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    I guess for me it is just faster to get warranty work taken care of with Rock Shox because they are only one state over from me. For a Fox warranty I would be shipping across the country.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Fixed and back on my bike at the shop in 9 days. Replaced a bunch of parts. All seems good. Works waaaay better so far just by feel. Climb mode is a nice full lockout. Trail seems smoother and descend seems plusher. Kudo's to the store and the rep for taking Fox fork and zipping it out, getting it fixed and back to the shop pretty quickly considering. I will ride tomorrow (well, later today after I wake up) and report back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Rode the bike and all is good with the Fox CTD fork. All modes work as they should. I like the Climb mode for riding on the road to the trail as the platform threshold is high and the bike doesn't squish at all. Trail mode seems to feel better. I tried Descend mode on some downhills and it felt like there was more of a difference this time vs Trail mode.

Thanks to the bike store D'ornellas, the distributor and/or Fox rep and Fox for getting this fixed and back literally in about a week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    A few questions for Anthem X 29 riders. I have the X1.

1) My Fox Shox performance has changed. It was fine for a while after getting it back from being repaired, but now it seems on bumpy downhills the fork is overwhelmed and overly bouncy. I am about the same weight and have been using the same PSI in fork and shock. I have been playing with rebound to see if it helps but it doesn't seem to. Has anybody had a change or decrease in Fox fork and/or shock performance?

2) Has anybody upgraded to XT brakes? If so, were you able to combine your SLX shifters with the XT brake levers? There is an i-spec system and it's confusing.

3) On climbs when I am out of the saddle I seem to be losing traction more often than I'm used to. Is this because of the longer chainstays? I may try a slightly shorter stem or different tires. The Racing Ralph don't have a whole lot of bite. In search of improvement here, I am not saying this bike is terrible at climbing.

Your Best Friend
    What psi are you running? How much do you weigh? Yes, you can combine slx and xt. Climbing is all about technique. Adjust to your bike and learn where it likes you to be to get the best bite. The Anthems are much better seated climbers BTW.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast