Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Your Best Friend

Re: 2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?

Ha. I'm flattered. If it's Shimano parts across the board, you shouldn't have any issues. Honestly I'm curious as to how you have an Anthem Advanced 1 frame on the way. The only frame I know of is the 0. You must have a hook up or someone is selling a stripped down bike. Your build sounds like it'll be a great bike! Post it in the carbon anthems thread when you're done. Good luck!
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    So today I had the bike out again, loving this thing! Played with the suspension some more and it felt pretty dialed today, I'm gonna run it where I now have it (15mm sag on fork and 9mm on shock) and start fine tuning from there but I feel like I have a good baseline. Also cut the handlebar a bit, didn't want to take too big a chunk at once so I cut 10mm off each end, now it's sitting at 710mm or just shy of 28". Actually felt just about where I wanted it.

I haven't weighed the bike yet, but it feels surprisingly light for basically out of the box (only change is tubeless conversion) - my Trance X weighed 27.5 w/pedals and this feels lighter. Not that it shouldn't be lighter, but I was expecting it to be about the same weight.

Next upgrade because it's cheap and easy is to go 1X10. Don't really need the granny gear for my FL "mountains". After that I'll go to a carbon handlebar (mainly for feel), and eventually a lighter wheel set along the lines of some Mavic SLR's. I feel these are the key things that will make a big impact on the ride and with these simple changes it should be a very respectable weight. Any other thoughts on that logic?

Anyway, here it is - I must say I agree with the others who say the X1 looks much better in person:

2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?-7512d64f-6359-4e64-ad12-89b518293f16_zpsd951321b.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Ha. I'm flattered. If it's Shimano parts across the board, you shouldn't have any issues. Honestly I'm curious as to how you have an Anthem Advanced 1 frame on the way. The only frame I know of is the 0. You must have a hook up or someone is selling a stripped down bike. Your build sounds like it'll be a great bike! Post it in the carbon anthems thread when you're done. Good luck!
    This is why I asked for your feedback, you seem to have detailed working knowledge of the new Advanced bikes.

It's a stripped down 2013 Advanced 1 XL supposedly in "new" condition. Comes with the RL fork and shock, Shimano BB, headset and 110 contact stem. My concern is crankset as I have built up several bikes and have always used threaded 68/73 BB. With those I could always get the chain line dialed with spacers. My current bike, AX 1 aluux has the press fit but the 2X10 was already there.

Another concern is the OD2 head set and fork and stem. Think the Sid will work but I had my Fox fork Pushed with travel increased to 120 and this worked great on my aluux Anthem. If I want to change fork or stem looks like a problem. The carbon stem looks great but I would like to try a shorter one to dial fit.

Your Best Friend
    QUOTE=BacDoc;10291102]This is why I asked for your feedback, you seem to have detailed working knowledge of the new Advanced bikes.

It's a stripped down 2013 Advanced 1 XL supposedly in "new" condition. Comes with the RL fork and shock, Shimano BB, headset and 110 contact stem. My concern is crankset as I have built up several bikes and have always used threaded 68/73 BB. With those I could always get the chain line dialed with spacers. My current bike, AX 1 aluux has the press fit but the 2X10 was already there.

The Anthems use a BB92 BB and the crank obviously has the axle attached. The only issue I could think you might run into is if the Q factor of your cranks is somehow too narrow. This is not likely. You can still use spacers with a press fit BB so if it is too loose, or if you don't like the spacing of the crank arms to the chainstays, add a spacer on that respective side.

Another concern is the OD2 head set and fork and stem. Think the Sid will work but I had my Fox fork Pushed with travel increased to 120 and this worked great on my aluux Anthem. If I want to change fork or stem looks like a problem. The carbon stem looks great but I would like to try a shorter one to dial fit.

You can still use your old fork, you'll just need to find a new top bearing for your OD2 headset. The outside diameter of the Giant headtube is the same as any other brands tapered HT. With OD2 they just use a smaller bearing to increase the inner diameter. Talk to your LBS to order one, they aren't expensive. [/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Thanks Foe! Might look you up in the future, got some riding buddies and we are looking to get some riding in Utah.

Gt5050,
    I'm in Fl too and will post some pics once I get my 1X10 built. Enjoy your new ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    Thanks Foe! Might look you up in the future, got some riding buddies and we are looking to get some riding in Utah.

Gt5050,
    I'm in Fl too and will post some pics once I get my 1X10 built. Enjoy your new ride!
    What part of FL? On the 1x10 topic, where I ride and the experience so far on this bike will probably have me sticking to the 38, or perhaps going to a 36 as a chainring. I don't feel a need for a shorter ratio anywhere I ride than my current big ring provides, which is a 38

Your Best Friend

Gt5050,
    Hey, anytime. I run Adventure Earth and do guided rides but I suck at it because I never charge anyone. I just like to ride with people. Like my page on facebook and if you're ever in the area, I'd be glad to show you all the goods.

mtbr member
    GT, I'm in Vero Beach and the trail in Ft. Pierce is about 20 mi from my house and i ride there a lot - pretty cool single track and an " outlaw trail" a block from my front door.

Been riding my 2011 Anthem 29 2X10 on these trails as well as Boyette and Santos and don't need all these gears. I lived in Santa Cruz for 4 years ( MTB heaven) and would even go 1X10 there. With 32 up front and 11-36 rear I can climb anything rideable (for me!) and can go low 20's before I spin out.

The maestro Anthem design has been getting it done and I'm anxious to try the monarch on this carbon frame to see how the ride is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

I'm a bit south of there but maybe I'll make it up that way sometime. I was thinking about the 1x10 a bit, and here's where I'm at - the 38 big ring on the bike now works anywhere I ride, I never touch the left triggers. However, it keeps me in the top half of my cassette for basically most of the time, and while the 38-36 combo gets me up any climb I hit, I may go smaller on the chainring when I go 1x. My reasoning is to keep my normal range of gears closer to the middle of the cassette w/ reserve on either end, and also to have a straighter chain line in my most frequently used gears. Does that sound like a good plan of attack?

mtbr member
    Exactly! Find the gears you use most and build around that chain line. We need you! I ride with 3 others and usually travel north or west for riding opportunities but need some local knowledge on trails in your area. I will pm you for info.

Enjoy that new bike!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    The only problem with relying on a big ring only on the Ax29er is that the designs anti squat is based around having a small ring. You loose most of your antisquat in the big ring.I run 1 x 10 but with a 26 ring.All our downhill is technical and can't spin out even with a 26T. Can on the fire road but they are for climbing not descending.Even so, i'm still cracking a good pace spinning out a 26T.

mtbr member
    gvs_nz,

Thanks for the input! Please explain how the size front ring affects "anti squat". Rode my 2011 as 2X10 for 2 yrs and couldn't feel suspension diff big or small.

Most of the time my ideal gearing on power strokes(for my trails) was big/big or small small and didn't like the look of the chain line in these gears. I ran 11-36 and 39/26 or what ever the SRAM 2X crank set is.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Braodly speaking the anti sqaut varies depending on chain posn relative to the pivot.
    The Ax29er has still got reasonable antisquat in 32T ring but your loosing a lot in anything much bigger.

When I Endurance race I find that I am never out of the 24T ring on the trails we ride, so 26T or 27T was a good trail riding choice for me. But I don't do any road riding besides up long fire road climbs. Any flat trails are always still reasonably technical. As often as I can I'll trail ride for 4 to 6 hrs so conservative ring size to me is better than who can pull the biggest ring contest. My strength is cardio, not power.

Here's data on antisquat values at 25% squat with different chainring combos.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 04-05-2013 at 03:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

What Mountain Bike Trail Bike of the Year runner up is the Anthem X!
    http://youtu.be/FXhR9j1Hjo8

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    Braodly speaking the anti sqaut varies depending on chain posn relative to the pivot.
    The Ax29er has still got reasonable antisquat in 32T ring but your loosing a lot in anything much bigger.

When I Endurance race I find that I am never out of the 24T ring on the trails we ride, so 26T or 27T was a good trail riding choice for me. But I don't do any road riding besides up long fire road climbs. Any flat trails are always still reasonably technical. As often as I can I'll trail ride for 4 to 6 hrs so conservative ring size to me is better than who can pull the biggest ring contest. My strength is cardio, not power.

Here's data on antisquat values at 25% squat with different chainring combos.
    Cool! But how do I interpret this? For example, my 1x10 with 32 up front and 11-36 cassette, I'm using the 15, 17 and 26, 30 cogs on the cassette 90% of of the time. At the extremes the % is 113%@11 and 90%@34- how does that equate to feel or performance?

I'm thinking not much? I don't race but I like being dialed in with my gear and performance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GT5050 View Post
    What Mountain Bike Trail Bike of the Year runner up is the Anthem X!
    Giant Anthem X29 - Trail Bike Of The Year 2013 Contender - YouTube
    Nice! And looks just like your bike!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Cool! But how do I interpret this? For example, my 1x10 with 32 up front and 11-36 cassette, I'm using the 15, 17 and 26, 30 cogs on the cassette 90% of of the time. At the extremes the % is 113%@11 and 90%@34- how does that equate to feel or performance?

I'm thinking not much? I don't race but I like being dialed in with my gear and performance.
    Like I said not much using a 32t ring but others are talking about 38, 39T single ring set ups.

Note 90% is still more than the TX 29er and most other longer travel 29ers have using 24T.

But many other mfg also have moved to optimise there suspension for 28t rings. Something Giant hasn't done yet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Nice! And looks just like your bike!
    And there's plenty of naysayers on these forums who keep on saying the Ax is only a xc bike.

Obviously don't have their bike setup correct IMHO. Mine also has the F100 fork but RT3 shock.Only shortfall I can find as a trail bike is seated cush over bike G outs. Descending it can keep up with my 6" travel 26" bikes on most trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

On the 1x10, the discussion here as well as some quick math made me come to the conclusion that I will not be simply going to a 38 but something quite smaller. Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    For those looking through the forums and wondering what an Anthem X1 weighs, I weighed my Medium 2013 X1 and it came to 26.6 without pedals, 27.38 with XT pedals on. That's with my Computer on, but I don't think that makes a huge difference. Going 1x10 on it soon just waiting for the parts to land - I don't have any lofty expectations of huge weight savings but it should help a bit.

I will state that my bike is set up tubeless, though the shop did it and they used the yellow Stan's tape, which I recall reading probably doesn't get me any net weight savings over running the tubes. I think Silentfoe was talking about that somewhere else, I'll let him weigh in if he sees this post. Either way, I'm pretty happy with the "out of the box" weight on my bike. There are certainly a few good and easy opportunities for some weight savings without going into weenie mode, my only planned changes after the 1x10 are a carbon bar and lighter wheelset down the line as I'm pretty happy with the overall spec. Yes even the brakes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Large Anthem X1 2013 came 27 lbs out of the box with no pedals. 27.8 lbs tubeless and Shimano PD-M520L Pedals (these are heavy pedals). Add one more pound for under-the-seat bag with CO2, tools, and supplies. But, the bike climbs hard and I don't feel it to be heavy. For comparison, the lightest bike I considered was a Specialized Stumpjumper hardtail. It came at 25 lbs for large.

mtbr member
    2013 Anthem Advanced ZX1:

1X10 Zee shifter and RD, SLX crank with 32 ring and BBG bashwich in these pics. Just installed a Wolf 34 but haven't ridden the bike with this yet.

Head tube on the carbon frame is massive. Stem is 110 and would like to try 90 or 100.

Zee RD and 11-36 XT cassette

XT brakes work great

Still need to trim cables and fine tune but so far very impressed with this bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    BacDoc:
    This is one beautiful bike!!! Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

2013 Anthem X1 fork steerer tube and shock eye to eye length and stroke

Ok, for my 2013 Anthem X1 29'er. What is the deal with the overdrive 2? Are my forks 1.5 tapered with some sort of Giant Overdrive 2 headset or a unique Giant Overdrive 2 steerer tube size and headset?

Will my fork fit on another bike with 1.5 tapered?
    Do I need to order special Giant steerer tube shocks for my bike?

What is the eye to eye length and stroke of the rear shock?

thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    delete post
    Last edited by morkys; 05-11-2013 at 02:37 PM.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast