Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    Thanks for the genuine feedback guys. I'll figure it out. I have been over thinking things. I'll make a list during the next few weeks before I hit the trails.

I don't expect to change settings while riding off road. Only Lockout or Trail/Climb for the road. I am simply after fine tuning to make the fork and shock work best for me. Dial it in and ride it until I need to fine tune again months later.

Also, I think I am mis-reading some feedback. I have to remember that the 130 mm plus travel forks have gone to an even a flatter spring rate this time, and, I think folks with the longer travel forks (up to 160 mm) are having a different experience with CTD vs previous.

#manuelr417

So you set both fork and shock the same for the Trail and Climb for the road? You never set one different from the other? On my previous bike I always used ProPedal setting 2 on the shock and ran the fork open except for the road. It sounds like you don't need or don't like the Climb setting for hills.

In answer to the 3 Trail settings, yes, I could try a fork and/or shock with those. The 3 Trail Adjust settings either don't seem to cover a wide enough range, or cover a wide range but are too coarse for fine tuning. Still, it would be nice to have any more tunability. I saw an example graph showing that the 3 Trail Adjust settings just expanded the Trail setting low speed comp a little bit one way or the other from "medium". On the other hand, since some people convert their Factory shocks to remote, they choose which Trail setting to set before installing the remote.

The Climb setting is also preset to firm in the Evolution and some Factory shocks. Perhaps a Medium Climb setting could work better for climbs, but then you'd have less of a lockout for the road? Or maybe the firm Trail Adjust setting would work better for Climbs? Not sure. It would at least be nice if the 3 Trail Adjust settings could be added to the fork in the same way you can convert to remote. I inquired with Fox about adding the 3 Trail Adjust settings.

Maybe PUSH or Hippie Suspension could take the 3 trail adjust settings and expand them, and/or alter the Climb settings. Hopefully next year Fox will at least revert back to a minimum of one of their forks and shock having settings like the previous parts did.

I will make a decision in the next few weeks before I hit the trails. Thanks again guys.
    Trail mode bobs on the road, specially when out of the saddle. Only use climb (both fork and shock) for the road. Tried climb/climb on the trail and didn't like it (too harsh). I have experimented with climb on fork and trail on shock for climbing, but prefer trail/trail setting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by manuelr417 View Post
    Trail mode bobs on the road, specially when out of the saddle. Only use climb (both fork and shock) for the road. Tried climb/climb on the trail and didn't like it (too harsh). I have experimented with climb on fork and trail on shock for climbing, but prefer trail/trail setting.
    Gotcha. So Climb on the shock and Trail on the fork probably no better for you either? It seems if Climb is too stiff for most people for climbing, you're left with the Trail modes platform, whatever it is. Basically similar to running no Propedal, or perhaps like the Propedal setting #1 out of three.

I looked at my rear shock and noticed that it says "Compression Tune L" and then on the other side it says "Climb Tune Firm". I wonder if that means the equivalent of the Trail Adjust setting is set to Low?

Changing the subject...

Ohhh...Maaahhhh....Gaaawwwshhh

These bars are WWIIIIDDDEE!

29 inches wide? Wow. My last two mtb had 22.25" and 25.5" wide bars. I think I may have to make the bars a liiiittle bit narrower if I want to fit between the trees on the trails...lol..
    Last edited by morkys; 03-10-2013 at 02:58 PM.

davidcarson48
    Try the bars a few rides before you cut them. I felt the same way and never ended up cutting them.

The stem is shorter than my last ride and the chainstays are a little longer, so after a few rides, the bars seemed perfect. But when I first jumped on (at the demo trailer), I thought someone was playing a practical joke!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I guess I can try them, but my concern isn't that they won't work. I literally think I will hit the trees on some trails! Instead of cutting them, I can get another bar and try that instead.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Does anyone know if the Reba on the X2 can be easily converted to 120mm of travel? I know I can with my older Reba Race. I've read quite a few posts from people saying they like 120mm on the Anthem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    What is it about the Avid Elixir 5 brakes that people don't like?
    Is it the lower Elixir brakes that people had issues with or also the 5's?

I was thinking of upgrading the rotor from 170 to 180 mm but would like to just try the brakes as is otherwise. Sure it would be nice to have XT or XTR or other brakes, but if these work well enough I will just use them.

Your Best Friend
    Avid brakes as a whole have a reputation for being hit or miss. They either really suck or work just fine. But not spectacular even when they are working. The nice thing? They are super easy to bleed and adjust. If you have issues, let your LBS fix them up and you should be fine. I think a lot of it is that Avid brakes are found on many lower price point bikes and people expect too much from them. I have used many bikes with lower end models and I've been riding XX and XX World Cup brakes for the last two plus years without issue. I have also used Magura Marta SL's which were better than any of the Avids and I'd say that Shimano XT and XTR aren't any better than XX and I also hate their uber short levers.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Fair enough. I guess I can flip a coin. Take a chance they work ok, or get em off there and upgrade now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    What is it about the Avid Elixir 5 brakes that people don't like?
    Is it the lower Elixir brakes that people had issues with or also the 5's?

I was thinking of upgrading the rotor from 170 to 180 mm but would like to just try the brakes as is otherwise. Sure it would be nice to have XT or XTR or other brakes, but if these work well enough I will just use them.
    Mine are working fine so far. But, I can hear the noise made my those used by some of my friends (Elixir 1 on XTC Composite and Elixir 9 on Scalpel). Lots of people switching to Magura. I plan on using mine as long as they hold up.

cowbell
    The Elixir 1's on my wife's bike have never been a problem. The front Elixir 1 on my Anthem was a problem from day one, but it turns out that it was part of a batch that had an undersized o-ring in it, and SRAM put a service bulletin out on it. When I took it to my LBS and pointed out the service bulletin, they contacted SRAM, went through the trouble shooting procedure SRAM wanted, confirmed the problem (which I had told them from day one something was up, but neither me nor the shop could put a finger on what it was!) and SRAM promptly sent me a SET (pair, full front and rear) of XO silvers to replace my Elixir 1's. I've had zero issues from the XO's.

Now, obviously there was a problem with my Elixirs, but I think they more than took care of me. It's REAL hard to argue with a manufacture that will send you $500 worth of parts to replace $200 worth of parts that they only screwed up $100 worth of, but the point is they screwed up and they knew it. I'm not sure why people can't seem to deal with Avid brakes, but most of the people I know personally and ride with don't really have any issues with them. The only legitimate complaint I've heard about them is that they use DOT fluid and mineral oil is more environmentally friendly. I say give the Avid's a fair chance, honestly if you have the right setup (ie at 205lbs I NEEDED a 180 up front) they should work fine for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Gotcha. Thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I had a couple year old set of elixer 5's on my Fuel. They were fine for the most part. No bleeding issues. But after I used a set of Shimano SLX I was hooked. The SLX/XT have a better feel....more modulation. People really like the ice tech pads and rotors.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The hubs/rotors on my 2013 AX1 29 are 6 bolt correct? I am not at home right now so I can't check.

davidcarson48
    Correct...6-bolt.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Well, just pulled the trigger on a 2013 Anthem X1! Can't wait to take it out, looks like I'm gonna let 'er rip tomorrow.

But first I want to get it dialed in and I'm having a bit of a tough time finding appropriate sag settings for the suspension, what I've come up with so far is 8-10mm for the rear and 15-20mm for the front. Anyone have real world experience/suggestions on a "sweet spot"? And if so, approximately what % of body weight in terms of psi gets you close? This bike has the Fox CTD fork and shock on it, I'm assuming I set sag in "descend"?

Your Best Friend
    Open all the settings if you want to start from scratch. You didn't say how much you weigh which is the information we really need if we're going to e-diagnose your suspension settings. On the Anthem, it's easiest to start with your body weight in the rear shock and then play with it from there to get your personal feel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm at 190 w/kit but was looking for a good starting guideline which you gave me, so thanks! Took it out for the first ride today and it felt pretty good overall, biggest thing that always strikes me about the Anthem is that it makes formerly difficult climbs rather painless. As for the suspension, I feel I went a bit soft on the fork. I ran both shock and fork in "trail" today (set sag in "descend"), and the rear actually felt about right at body weight, but I went 50% body weight on the fork and I think I'm going to bump that up a bit.

Awesome bike though, very happy and I feel right at home on it almost right away. I may also cut the handlebar a little bit. I like a fairly wide bar, but I may start by cutting .75" off each end to get it closer to 695mm as I felt the 730mm stock width was a wee bit wide.

davidcarson48
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Open all the settings if you want to start from scratch. You didn't say how much you weigh which is the information we really need if we're going to e-diagnose your suspension settings. On the Anthem, it's easiest to start with your body weight in the rear shock and then play with it from there to get your personal feel.
    I have the Advanced 1 with the RS SID RL and Monarch RL. I'm 205 ready to ride. Suggestions on pressures? I've had some difficulty with the sag markings on the suspension as it feels too soft with 25% sag and I bottom out the fork more than once or two a ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GT5050 View Post
    I'm at 190 w/kit but was looking for a good starting guideline which you gave me, so thanks! Took it out for the first ride today and it felt pretty good overall, biggest thing that always strikes me about the Anthem is that it makes formerly difficult climbs rather painless. As for the suspension, I feel I went a bit soft on the fork. I ran both shock and fork in "trail" today (set sag in "descend"), and the rear actually felt about right at body weight, but I went 50% body weight on the fork and I think I'm going to bump that up a bit.

Awesome bike though, very happy and I feel right at home on it almost right away. I may also cut the handlebar a little bit. I like a fairly wide bar, but I may start by cutting .75" off each end to get it closer to 695mm as I felt the 730mm stock width was a wee bit wide.
    As for the bars, I put the 730 on my wife's AX29w. I am using the Race Face Atlas at 780, with a 70mm contact SL stem. Now the front is not so twitchy.
    You might continue to ride with the bars uncut a few more time before cutting them. Change always feels, well, different. Once cut...
    Enjoy.

Your Best Friend
    @ DavidCarson

I run my Monarch at 185psi and my Fork at 115+ and 120- pressure (I have the dual air, love it!). I weigh exactly as much as you do. The fox rear shocks take more pressure and the forks take a lot less. I haven't played with RS solo air forks too much so I'm no help there.

I also cut my 730mm handlebar down to 690. I felt like I was driving a Mack truck. There is a section on Gooseberry Mesa where a wide handlebar won't fit. My 690 did but I had to scrape it through. Same on many trails I'm sure. This isn't a DH bike and it doesn't need a short stem and wide handlebar. If that's what you have, fine, but I think that's more suited to the Trance or Reign.

mtbr member
    @ DavidCarson

I run my Monarch at 185psi and my Fork at 115+ and 120- pressure (I have the dual air, love it!). I weigh exactly as much as you do. The fox rear shocks take more pressure and the forks take a lot less. I haven't played with RS solo air forks too much so I'm no help there.

I also cut my 730mm handlebar down to 690. I felt like I was driving a Mack truck. There is a section on Gooseberry Mesa where a wide handlebar won't fit. My 690 did but I had to scrape it through. Same on many trails I'm sure. This isn't a DH bike and it doesn't need a short stem and wide handlebar. If that's what you have, fine, but I think that's more suited to the Trance or Reign.
    True, the TX29 was not out yet when I got my AX, I wanted full suspension 29er and I really like my bike.
    However my next bike will be more Trail/AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GT5050 View Post

I might cut mine. I fell to the ground today while descending on a rocky singletrack section because the handler bar touched a tree I though I had cleared ... . Minor scratches, but a bunch of rocks were awfully close.

I think the Anthem is an awesome bike, but the Racing Ralphs tires are just too weak. Already gashed the sidewall of my rear tire on a not-so bad rocky trail (replaced with Specy Ground Control) and today I got a cut on the front tire which Stan's had a hard time closing down. Perhaps I should go and buy another Ground Control for the weekend ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?

As for the bars, clearance is a bit of an issue so far but not huge, my main motivation in considering cutting them is simply where my hands naturally fell in the grips, which was always heavily skewed inwards. I don't want to go crazy narrow - my former Trance always felt too narrow for me at 26" and I wore out the outsides of the grips - I just want it to be where I would hold it anyway, which won't affect the leverage for steering quickness.

For me the tires feel great for grip and the like, obviously I have no indication yet of how they'll hold up to my trails and terrain..

davidcarson48

Re: 2013 Anthem X 29er anybody?

@ DavidCarson

Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Waiting for my Advanced 1 frame to arrive so I can start the build. Frame has the Monarch RL, Sid RL and Shimano BB. Thinking of running 1X10 using Shimano drive train. 32 up front with 11-36 cassette is plenty of gears for my trails. Got an XT cassette on an Arch EX with Hope hub but need a crank. Got a SLX with 22/32/bash and was thinking of using this crank with the 32 and BBG bashwich.

Frame supposedly has a shimano press fit BB and was hoping this would work. For shifter/derailleur I'm thinking of using the Zee combo. Comments and suggestions on this set up?

Looking for feedback especially from Silent Foe.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast