mtbr member
    Jun 2012

2012 XTC just cracked :(

Well went out for a ride yesterday and heard a weird PING kind of noise so I stopped and looked over the bike and low and behold the frame cracked. I am not happy, really bike is a 2012 and the frame cracked? My cannondale is 22 years old and not one crack. Called the LBS where I bought it and they said bring it in we need to take pictures and send the to giant to see what they say. I can see the BS starting already with this, I was looking at getting an AnthemX but if they give me any kind of BS on this it will be the last Giant I ever buy. I am not saying they wont cover it but I know from past experience that manufacturers try just about anything to get out of covering warranty issues. I had the bike painted so I bet they say not covered as it was painted. Cracked where the top tube meets the seat post, I have a 400 mm seatpost with maybe only 200 mm out so there is no way it should have cracked do to seatpost stress. Guess I will have to wait and see what they say.

mtbr member
    Yep, waiting and seeing is all you can do. I've learned a lot of the outcome of warranty claims like yours is dependent on A) handling it the right way (which you have, by going through the LBS the bike was bought from) and B) having a good relationship with the guys at your LBS. If they value you as a customer, they know how you feel about the bike, what else you're looking at, and how that won't happen if this doesn't work out right. They also know how you ride, and what the odds are that the frame was abused or not, regardless of whether it's been painted, and they will go to bat for you if it's a legit claim. Although they ask for pictures so they can look at things (no sense in warrantying a frame someone dropped off a cliff) if it's a crack like you describe, manufacturers really rely on their dealers to make a call.

Vegan on the S-Works
    Painting the frame can void warranty as the sanding process can create stress risers which prematurely fatigue a frame....

You will be lucky if you get warranty this time round mate. 99% of bike companies would say 'too bad mate,you f'd with our manufacturing process, here is some tape and zip ties...have a good ride home...all the best.'

mtbr member
    Yep, painting a Giant is a big no no, if you care about the warranty. If I recall, it is pretty clear in their warranty statement. Otherwise, Giant is known for having excellent warranty service. You may get lucky and be covered, but don't hold your breath.
    Ride More

mtbr member
    straight from Giants warranty page:
    ALL WARRANTIES ARE VOID IF THE BICYCLE IS MODIFIED FROM ITS ORIGINAL CONDITION. it's a vague comment but could be all inclusive.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by durianrider View Post
    Painting the frame can void warranty as the sanding process can create stress risers which prematurely fatigue a frame....

You will be lucky if you get warranty this time round mate. 99% of bike companies would say 'too bad mate,you f'd with our manufacturing process, here is some tape and zip ties...have a good ride home...all the best.'
    Well it wasn't sanded as I had it powder coated, use liquid paint stripper and some green 3M pads. If they won't warranty it then I will get it re welded and never buy another giant, no way having it powder coated caused it to fail. My old cannondale has been polished every year since I got it and its never broken. I guess I will just get that Norco carbon I was looking at a little early LOL.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by citiznkain View Post
    straight from Giants warranty page:
    ALL WARRANTIES ARE VOID IF THE BICYCLE IS MODIFIED FROM ITS ORIGINAL CONDITION. it's a vague comment but could be all inclusive.
    So I change my saddle and it voids the warranty? Hmmmm nice way to avoid fixing your bikes.

May contain nuts
    Not saying it's valid in your case, but they could well argue powder coating interferes with the frames heat treatment, if not done correctly...

Your Best Friend

Re: 2012 XTC just cracked :(

You're frame cracked. Crap happens. Don't start bashing Giants warranty process until you have a reason. On the other hand, you painted the frame. You're screwed. Don't blame that on Giant either. Any manufacturer would say the same thing
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

Vegan on the S-Works
    The reason bike companies void warranty if the frame is painted is due to the heating process some painters use. I know Specialized have select painters in the US they will give the ok to for customers to use but you have to keep your receipt etc.

I don't think its fair that someone can bag a bike company cos they tampered with the overall quality of the frame. Thats like putting your shoes in the dryer and when they crack apart in a marathon, you blame the company.

Im all for calling out shody warranties but its going a bit far painting a frame AGAINST the companies warning and then saying they make crap frames.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Taken it in today to see if they will cover it, if not then I will see about crash replacement, I really do like this bike and how it handles. I am just really bummed it broke.

mtbr member
    Have owned GT, Jamis, Norco, Gary Fisher, K2, Leader, Specialized, Trek, Orbea, Cannondale, Kona and Giant, have seen frames fail on all of those brands, in my case the Jamis was the one that failed and was quickly replaced by warranty. What I'm trying to say is that bikes break regardless of the model or manufacturer, some fail by defect while others fail by user induced situations.

In your case if the bike had the original paint will be covered in a heartbeat but because it was painted it may require some give and take in order to get some kind of replacement.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Well spoke with the LBS and he said Giant s very strict with the not painting frame rule so no warranty, I honestly didn't know that but anyways they did offer a crash replacement so I am going that route and very happy with the outcome. Trust me I won't paint this one.

May contain nuts
    All's well... nothing beats talking nicely....

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Having worked at a Giant dealer for 5 years, I can say that their warranty department is nothing short of fantastic. Normally the customers leave with a nicer frame than they broke for the cost of shipping and assembly. Sorry you had yours painted, but glad it was resolved.