mtbr member

2012 Trance X4 Full Upgrade Help

Hello guys,

I'm a proud owner of a new trance x4. Just bought a full shimano xt set (drivetrain and brakes), fox talas terralogic 140mm, and some iodine wheels. Anyway, the drivetrain and brakes got me wondering if I should do the install myself or send it to a shop.

I havent worked on a bike in more than 10 years and anyways havent done anything fancy on them.

I do have mechanical skills so I know tools and stuff but dont have a tool to measure tork.

So what do you think?

mtbr member
    Well since i got no replies, i just asked the shop and they will change the drivetrain for $40.00

mtbr member
    thats pretty cheap. quick question, why not get a x2 or then?

i was gonna get an X4 myself, but did that math and after adding cost of better drive train + fork, brakes, wheels it came out to roughly the same price as an X2

mtbr member
    Frame color. I know, but what can i say.

Ill post all the upgrades after they are done.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevingp View Post
    Frame color. I know, but what can i say.

Ill post all the upgrades after they are done.
    keep us updated

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'd spend the $40 whatever tools you may need and try it yourself. There are a ton of great instructional sites and videos online as well that will walk you through the whole process. Most everything one the bike is as simple as just doing it once and it becomes second hand from then on.

Also as far as a torque wrench goes, many auto parts stores rent them out for a pretty cheap price if you feel like you need one.

mtbr member
    Part of the reason for the upgrade is that I feel the current drivetrain isnt as tough and good as I expected. This is a brand new bike and I had to had it adjusted and I've just visited the trails twice on it... I prefer having someone with experience do this for me, I'll try to get some experience later adjusting it and so on. And having those parts installed for $40.00? I thought that they would charge me at least $100.00.

Thanks for the input anyways, I clearly need to get some experience as to fixing my bike and adjusting its components.

mtbr member
    Doing the work yourself is pretty rewarding and fun too. I never meant to touch anything on my x4 but the rear dérailleur sucked, nowI've changed quite a bit myself. Only thing I had a shop do was the fork, mainly because the guy is really good at setup and I wanted his input.

Since your bike is still new now is a good time to work on it before it gets all muddy.
    If you are not comfortable doing the work $40 ain't bad. Shimano usually includes pretty comprehensive instructions, although can be a little hard to follow. Good luck.
    Current roster:
    2013 Trance X1 29er
    2013 Mukluk 3
    Banshee Paradox V1
    2011 Defy 1

mtbr member
    I just realized that with all i bought i can build a second bike, just need the frame. This could be an easy project.

Anyone know what bike shares specs with the trance, or the closest?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kevingp View Post
    I just realized that with all i bought i can build a second bike, just need the frame. This could be an easy project.

Anyone know what bike shares specs with the trance, or the closest?
    this is my plan with all the bits im replacing on mine.

im going for a whyte 905 frame when one comes up cheap.

another model ive considered is a Ragley blue pig but the trances stock 120mm fork is too short for it.

good call on the x4 though, thats what i went for cos i knew id be replacing the fork anyway, had no problems with the stock drive train till now, (5months in) and its time to replace the lot now so probably going single speed.

mtbr member
    Really nice bikes those whyte

mtbr member
    Trek fuel would be one too

mtbr member
    I went to my LBS and saw the fuels, loved them. Will definitely like to use one of those frames.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hi bro i have a ginat trance x4 2012

my upgrades are:

a fox float rl 2012 140mm travel

a rock shox monarch rt3 (7.25x1.75)

And a ni raiser kore 800mm lenght

short stem kore 50mm lenght

and the others things are totally perfect!

mtbr member
    Heres the end product!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Trance X4 Full Upgrade Help-img_1141-copy.jpg  

mtbr member
    Awesome, mean-looking bike you have there. Love the colours. What setting is that talas fork at? 110mm?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I would like to upgrade the rear shock on my 2012 Giant Trance X4 as well to the RockShox Monarch RT3 (7.25x1.75). If I want to change out my current stock rear shock (Giant brand) on my bike will I require purchasing any additional mounting hardware to get it installed? I see that the shock pump comes with the new RT3 shock part as well which is nice. Let me know, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Jzaror1989 View Post
    Hi bro i have a ginat trance x4 2012

my upgrades are:

a fox float rl 2012 140mm travel

a rock shox monarch rt3 (7.25x1.75)

And a ni raiser kore 800mm lenght

short stem kore 50mm lenght

and the others things are totally perfect!

mtbr member
    When you take off the giant shock you can use those parts to install the new shock. At least its that way with the fox shock I bought.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hey ! Uhm, which Fork did you buy ? As far as I know the Float in the Trance X 2012 has a 1⅛"~1˝"-OverDrive Steerer.. So which Fork can I buy and build in ? For example which steerer size do you have?

Sorry for grammar mistakes, I'm from Germany .. there not as much Giant riders as in the US

I hope you can help me !

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Dennis the 2012 Trance should be 1-1/4 and 1-1/2, but you can change the top headset to fit the most common 1-1/8 fork up top. Then all you would need would be a standard tapered fork.

It must be pretty hard finding forks for the OD2 models, headset change must be easier.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Damn! Thanks for your answer mate!
    So I just have to change the upper headset - just to make clear we both mean the same..
    I buy a tapered 1 1/8 Fork or 1 1/8 to 1.5 and the matching headset, so for a 1 1/8 steerer a 1 1/8 headset ?

Awesome man, this has been such a riddle for me.. Just ordered the Rock Shox Monarch RT3 for my Trance..next year there'll be a Talas

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yes the bottom part is standard for tapered (1.5) but Giant in 2012 decided to create overdrive 2 changing the top part of the headset from 1-1/8 to 1-1/4.

This also means you need a stem compatible with 1-1/4 if you decided to use the OD2 standard and I think they are impossible to find outside the US.

I would definitely change the top part of the headset so it would work with the standard Tapered forks and forget about that crazy OD2

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    You're right, it's crazy.. I think I'm going to go with 1 1/8 to 1,5
    I think "impossible to find" is slightly understated I couldn't find anything about these forks in the internet.. and I thought it was impossible to change the fork in my Trance X because of OD2.. thanks for your solution!!!