Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

2012 Trance x4 build thread

This is my Trance build, comments welcome,

Bought a standard 2012 Giant Trance X4 in September 2011 which looked like this

The first thing to go was the long stock stem for this 40mm option from Truvative

followed by the saddle(after i bent the stock one on a heavy amateur landing) (not the comfiest choice but looks the part)

My choice of forks to replace the stock item was the 2012 Fox Float RLC FiT 140 QR15

which meant i needed new wheels because of the 15qr axle that goes with these forks. I found a set of these Hope Hoops Pro III SP AM-4 Wheelset Review - BikeRadar on ebay,

I then came across these brakes but are IS Mount, which need adapters to fit, the front is fitted with 20mm adapter to accommodate a 203mm disc at front and the rear brake is still stock but with a 20mm adapter to run a 180mm disc. these are most likely to be changed in the future for modern brakes not needing adapters.

I got these dmr v12 mag pedals free with a magazine subscription and they give awesome grip

last bit of upgrading for now is this 710mm Ragley riser bar

Next up is a Fox RP23 kashima coated rear shock and either a 1x10 or 2x10 drive setup with xt bits and bobs
    Last edited by giant_in_a_trance; 03-11-2012 at 09:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Jealous! I have half of mine paid off at my lbs. Selling my 29er hardtail to seal the deal! Then comes instant upgradeitis

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    new additions this month include these THE grips
    and maxxis minion tyres.
    also the original brakes have made a return as the hope m4's need a service and im not to keen on them,

mtbr member
    hows it feel w/ the new stem and wider bars?

mtbr member
    Nice set up!
    I've been looking to upgrade the fork as well. How is your new one so far?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    For me the handle bars are perfect, it was an upgrade i wasnt too bothered about but found these cheap and had to have, I want to try a slightly longer stem soon as with these forks on the front is very light and lifts too easy, so a longer stem will help me put more weight over the front.

The forks are lovely and smooth but im still fiddling about with the settings to get it as near to perfect as poss.

Im off to the forest of dean tomorrow for 4 days dh/trail riding and this will be the first real test for both me and the bike.

mtbr member
    weird usually w/ shorter stem you go wider bars and you have 710 wide bars. but it could also be the 140mm height w/ slack HA doing that too?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Had an awesome trip at Pedalabikeaway - Forest of Dean - Cycling done all the down hill runs several times and pushed my limits on the bike.

forget what i said before about the front being too light, its perfect, I can pick the front end up and throw it where i want soaks up all the bumps in a controlled and positive manor, the rear shock was shown up at times but coped well.

The stock drive set up needs to go in the bin! its been fine up till now, but now im pushing it harder over rough terrain it cant cope, i had the chain slapping about and just sounding horrible most the time and coming off regularly.

Going to a 1x10 setup asap

The brakes were fine untill i got on the really steep stuff and will do for now, all in all considering the trance x is a trail bike it handled downhill stuff very well.
    pic dosnt really show the steepness of the runs but you get the idea

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Been driving mine Into the ground. Im content with the giant air-r and plan to ride it till it dies. The fork on the other hand, I will be upgrading within the month followed by 1x10. I have an slx crank on mine so ill just put a ring in the middle with an 11-36 in the rear. I hate deore. I ride almost daily and feel like I have to tune it every couple of days.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Nice cat

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    New wheels ordered hopefully have them fitted and pics up here next weekend.

forks came back from mojo after the 1st service last week, and they also tuned the forks to my weight and bike (going by graphs and stuff i guess) which made a huge improvement. guess i know nothing about setting suspension up after all lol

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

photoshopped(badly) the wheels on my bike as i couldnt wait 5 days to see it for real. i love it thoughts please. is it too white,or alright

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    wow nice ! Im making main Trance on X.0 /XX. At the time im waiting for My new Reverb

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Well a week late but here they are 2012 Mavic Crossmax sx's,
    ive never been one to worry much about weight savings but these babys have changed my mind, bike climbs and accelerates superbly on these.

Last edited by giant_in_a_trance; 06-16-2012 at 03:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That sure is a sexy build.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just bought one. Picking it up next week.

mtbr member
    Nice build, are you running tubeless?
    ________
    11' Giant Talon 1
    11' Giant Anthem X 29er
    11' Giant Trance X2
    12' BMC Fourstroke FS02 XT
    13' Epic S-Works XX1

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Very nice job. You make me want to buy the lowest X model next time and go custom. What was the final cost (if you don't mind me asking)?

mtbr member
    Lovely build mate, would you have any more info on where to get the bars an 40mm stem from

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by steelhmr View Post
    Very nice job. You make me want to buy the lowest X model next time and go custom. What was the final cost (if you don't mind me asking)?
    yikes not updated this in a while,
    ive just got slx drivetrain and formula oro's to go on the new frame ive recently received back under warranty as the previous one cracked, which bumps the
    total cost so far to around 2900,(i think)

the only things which will be standard when its built back up are the rear shock,headset,rear shifter and cassette.

GiantTrance- i found the stem and bars on ebay, although im going to get a 60mm stem in time as it feels a little too short for me.

Thanks for the positive comments.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JAY55 View Post
    Nice build, are you running tubeless?
    yep tubeless, which has its positives in that i have had no punctures since fitting them but now i want to change the tyres for certain rides, its a pain in the arse

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    erm ive just ordered an rp23 oops, skint .com

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    new shock and bionicon chain guide

mtbr member
    Looking good dude. What spec is that shock. Wicked build tho !!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    it is this shock-http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=87560 cant wait to get it all built up again and hit the trails. standard shock has held up really well and didnt need changing but this bikes becoming a bit of an addiction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast