mtbr member
    Nov 2011

2012 Trance x4 build thread

This is my Trance build, comments welcome,

Bought a standard 2012 Giant Trance X4 in September 2011 which looked like this

The first thing to go was the long stock stem for this 40mm option from Truvative

followed by the saddle(after i bent the stock one on a heavy amateur landing) (not the comfiest choice but looks the part)

My choice of forks to replace the stock item was the 2012 Fox Float RLC FiT 140 QR15

which meant i needed new wheels because of the 15qr axle that goes with these forks. I found a set of these Hope Hoops Pro III SP AM-4 Wheelset Review - BikeRadar on ebay,

I then came across these brakes but are IS Mount, which need adapters to fit, the front is fitted with 20mm adapter to accommodate a 203mm disc at front and the rear brake is still stock but with a 20mm adapter to run a 180mm disc. these are most likely to be changed in the future for modern brakes not needing adapters.

I got these dmr v12 mag pedals free with a magazine subscription and they give awesome grip

last bit of upgrading for now is this 710mm Ragley riser bar

Next up is a Fox RP23 kashima coated rear shock and either a 1x10 or 2x10 drive setup with xt bits and bobs
    Last edited by giant_in_a_trance; 03-11-2012 at 10:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Jealous! I have half of mine paid off at my lbs. Selling my 29er hardtail to seal the deal! Then comes instant upgradeitis

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    new additions this month include these THE grips
    and maxxis minion tyres.
    also the original brakes have made a return as the hope m4's need a service and im not to keen on them,

mtbr member
    hows it feel w/ the new stem and wider bars?

mtbr member
    Nice set up!
    I've been looking to upgrade the fork as well. How is your new one so far?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    For me the handle bars are perfect, it was an upgrade i wasnt too bothered about but found these cheap and had to have, I want to try a slightly longer stem soon as with these forks on the front is very light and lifts too easy, so a longer stem will help me put more weight over the front.

The forks are lovely and smooth but im still fiddling about with the settings to get it as near to perfect as poss.

Im off to the forest of dean tomorrow for 4 days dh/trail riding and this will be the first real test for both me and the bike.

mtbr member
    weird usually w/ shorter stem you go wider bars and you have 710 wide bars. but it could also be the 140mm height w/ slack HA doing that too?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Had an awesome trip at Pedalabikeaway - Forest of Dean - Cycling done all the down hill runs several times and pushed my limits on the bike.

forget what i said before about the front being too light, its perfect, I can pick the front end up and throw it where i want soaks up all the bumps in a controlled and positive manor, the rear shock was shown up at times but coped well.

The stock drive set up needs to go in the bin! its been fine up till now, but now im pushing it harder over rough terrain it cant cope, i had the chain slapping about and just sounding horrible most the time and coming off regularly.

Going to a 1x10 setup asap

The brakes were fine untill i got on the really steep stuff and will do for now, all in all considering the trance x is a trail bike it handled downhill stuff very well.
    pic dosnt really show the steepness of the runs but you get the idea

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Been driving mine Into the ground. Im content with the giant air-r and plan to ride it till it dies. The fork on the other hand, I will be upgrading within the month followed by 1x10. I have an slx crank on mine so ill just put a ring in the middle with an 11-36 in the rear. I hate deore. I ride almost daily and feel like I have to tune it every couple of days.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Nice cat

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    New wheels ordered hopefully have them fitted and pics up here next weekend.

forks came back from mojo after the 1st service last week, and they also tuned the forks to my weight and bike (going by graphs and stuff i guess) which made a huge improvement. guess i know nothing about setting suspension up after all lol

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

photoshopped(badly) the wheels on my bike as i couldnt wait 5 days to see it for real. i love it thoughts please. is it too white,or alright

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    wow nice ! Im making main Trance on X.0 /XX. At the time im waiting for My new Reverb

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Well a week late but here they are 2012 Mavic Crossmax sx's,
    ive never been one to worry much about weight savings but these babys have changed my mind, bike climbs and accelerates superbly on these.

Last edited by giant_in_a_trance; 06-16-2012 at 04:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That sure is a sexy build.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just bought one. Picking it up next week.

mtbr member
    Nice build, are you running tubeless?
    ________
    12' BMC Fourstroke FS02 XT
    11' Epic S-Works XX
    13' Epic S-Works XX1
    14' Epic S-Works WC XX1

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Very nice job. You make me want to buy the lowest X model next time and go custom. What was the final cost (if you don't mind me asking)?

mtbr member
    Lovely build mate, would you have any more info on where to get the bars an 40mm stem from

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by steelhmr View Post
    Very nice job. You make me want to buy the lowest X model next time and go custom. What was the final cost (if you don't mind me asking)?
    yikes not updated this in a while,
    ive just got slx drivetrain and formula oro's to go on the new frame ive recently received back under warranty as the previous one cracked, which bumps the
    total cost so far to around £2900,(i think)

the only things which will be standard when its built back up are the rear shock,headset,rear shifter and cassette.

GiantTrance- i found the stem and bars on ebay, although im going to get a 60mm stem in time as it feels a little too short for me.

Thanks for the positive comments.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JAY55 View Post
    Nice build, are you running tubeless?
    yep tubeless, which has its positives in that i have had no punctures since fitting them but now i want to change the tyres for certain rides, its a pain in the arse

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    erm ive just ordered an rp23 oops, skint .com

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    new shock and bionicon chain guide

mtbr member
    Looking good dude. What spec is that shock. Wicked build tho !!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    it is this shock-http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=87560 cant wait to get it all built up again and hit the trails. standard shock has held up really well and didnt need changing but this bikes becoming a bit of an addiction.

Slower than mud.
    May 2012
    That bike is sick! Nice work!
    "To expand your comfort zone, you have to leave it."

mtbr member
    Looks awesome dude does it come with the bushes for top and bottom or you have to buy them separately

mtbr member
    how did you like the giant air shock?
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I personally don't mind it. I "hear" its just a rebranded fox float. The stock x4 fork however is Crap! The first thing I replaced!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    I personally don't mind it. I "hear" its just a rebranded fox float. The stock x4 fork however is Crap! The first thing I replaced!
    what'd you replace it with? and how did you find the right sized taper?
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    i kept the stock shock on my but as far as the fork I just did a lot of patient hunting for it. The head tube fits a tapered 1 1/2 lower & 1 1/8 upper cups. I also switched my wheelset to a 15mm thru axle set so i had to find a fork that fits all of that.
    The one i ended up for was a fox f32 120mm tapered, 15mm thru axle fork. It took FOREVER to find one that had all of these at a decent price. It was a take off of a trance advance sl. I got super lucky. Only paid $300 for it. It was also blue so it matched my blue/silver scheme on my bike!
    I say go with a fox or a rockshox reba/sektor. You're looking to spend about $300 for a working fork. You could find a busted one and get it rebuilt but it will total around the same.

mtbr member
    Easy dude good work on the shock. 2 Quick question about the shock an forks. Any idea what the standard height of the steerer. I have it measurent at 205mm. When you get chance could you have a look. And on the shock 184x44 I presume but where did you get the reducers from to fit our bikes. Sorry for asking so much
    Last edited by GiantTrance; 09-02-2012 at 07:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    been away for a week so not had chance to get on here, the standard rear shock done a good job and soaked up some good sized drops and jumps,its supposed to be better then the fox shock fitted on the x3(according to some magazines),

still not got the new shock fitted yet as the bottom bushing needs to be removed, the standard shock dosnt have a lower bush, but dosnt really need one i suppose as it dosnt rotate on the bottom end,movement is through the top bush and maestro system.

GiantTrance, there are no reducers. it simply a case of knocking out the bottom bush and fitting it on. bike will be back together by next weekend and i cant bloody wait.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Here it is 90% complete, all i require to get to the spec i want is a good cassette, cane creek angle headset, and slx shifters.

in previous comments i have said how well the stock shock held up, and it does do a very good job, however, after fitting the RP23 i can happily say that thee stock shock is crap in comparison. first proper ride will be tomorrow and i cant wait. first impressions after riding over a rough farm field is that it rides like a big 4 wheel drive with huge suspension. think armchair and your almost there.

mtbr member
    Looks awesome. Let us know how you get on with it. Where did you manage to get the bushings from for the shock. Just doing some homework ready to change mine at some point lol

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    all i did was to remove the bottom bush and put the bits that were in the top stock bush in to this one. its a straight swap.

mtbr member
    Ahhh good stuff dude. Let us all know how you get on with it's proper run tomorrow

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Not managed to set the suspension up properly yet but today over my usual riding spot of hard packed trails with lots of bomb holes and jumps the whole bike felt so much smoother, hoping to get to wales in the next few weeks ride some rough stuff.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Heres a list of the spec it is now for anyone thats interested.

2012 Giant Trance X
    2012 Fox Float 32 RLC Fit Kashima 140mm
    2012 Fox RP23 Boost valve 184x44mm
    Mavic Crossmax SX
    Maxxis Minnion 2.35, (42 super tacky front/60a rear) (tubeless with stans fluid stuff)
    Shimano Slx- m665 Crankset(22/36/bash)
    Shimano BB91
    Slx-front and rear mech with stock alivio shifters.
    Stock shimano Cassette (11-32)
    C.guide chain tensioner
    Formula Oro k18 brakeset using the stock avid discs 180/160
    Ragley Riser handlebar
    THE industries grips,
    Truvative 50mm stem.
    Stock headset
    SDG Belair saddle
    Seat post from my other bike as i cut the giant one too short.

I think that is it.

mtbr member
    How did you get on dude with your first ride with suspension etc. I'm in need of some forks. eBay searching 24/7 haha

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Bionicon C-guide is unreal hey, I have one on my Trance. Love it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    This weekend ive just had what i can call my first proper ride, this was round the red route at Gisburn forest. The route is littered with rocks, roots and mud and fairly technical in places, the bike performed superb set up as it is, its not the quickest on the climbs (partly my own fault for not for flicking the pro pedal lever) but the maxxis minions grip on anything wet or dry, the front and rear suspension work great together and there still more to be had from it, (im waiting for a suspension set up day at a trail center somewhere to get the most from it).

A few weeks i had a go on a mates 180mm freeride bike and it felt like sitting on a sofa compared to my trance on the standard shock, with the rp23, the trance feels like a sofa. A huge improvement.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post
    Bionicon C-guide is unreal hey, I have one on my Trance. Love it!
    I think its expensive for what it is but it does an awesome job, not heard the chain rattling around once

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Anyone with an x4 '12 able to tell me sweep/rise on the stock connect low rise bars? Looking to buy carbon but want the same specs since its comfy.

mtbr member
    also can anyone tell me, ive just fitted some 140mm fox RLC FIT Kashima forks, all cut to my length but i can feel a slight 1mm movement. I'm stuck, but id this where the can creek angle headset comes into play ??? would love a reply pretty quick please

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    shouldnt be any movement, have u put the head race on the fork before installation?