mtbr member

2012 Trance X3 or X2?

I cant decide. The drive train is better (some say) on the X2 SLX components vs X7. Is all that stuff really worth the extra 400-500? I think X2 also has elixir 5's and a lockout on the rear fox susp.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by absoluteczech; 02-13-2012 at 07:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    2011 X1 if i were you

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey G View Post
    2011 X1 if i were you
    if i could find one locally from $2000-$2500 id consider it

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    x4 and spend the savings on a decent 140mm fork, thats the best setup for your money

mtbr member
    Sorry I would have to disagree. The fork front and rear plus drive train would cost more in the long run than it would be to just get x3 or x2

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

mtbr member
    May 2011
    the pro pedal of x2 is very important IMO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cscsw View Post
    the pro pedal of x2 is very important IMO
    i agree. i just demo'd the x2 from my lbs and loved it. pro pedal was definitely worth having

think im gonna go w/ x2

mtbr member
    so i ended up w/ the x2! paid $2,325 + taxes at my lbs

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
    so i ended up w/ the x2! paid $2,325 + taxes at my lbs

Good stuff!

I have the 2011 X2 and love it.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Nice, good choice

mtbr member
    thanks guys

MTBR Member
    Jan 2012
    I've got some questions to you about your Trance X2. I've read that you'd bought it. Congrats! I also wanna buy that bike. Could you tell your thoughts about X2? How about ProPedal, is it really working well? Are the absorbers stroke enough on a harder trail? Write sth more about that Giant if you could.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Pro pedal works well on my 2011 X2 (Fox RP2). You don't need a lockout function on the shock it's that good.

mtbr member
    Great looking ride! Congrats!
    2012 Anthem X 29er in the build process
    2010 Diamondback Mission

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have a 2011 Trance X2,which is almost identical to the 2012 Trance X2. Overall it's a nice bike but after doing some urban free riding for a while I realized that the fork wasn't up to snuff. Especially jumping off of sidewalks I felt that the fork was really holding the bike back, I got lucky and scored 140 Float RLC fork on Ebay for an awesome price and it's really improved the bike's handling. The RLC has compression control and this allows you to adjust the fork for whatever conditions you're encountering. For example if you're jumping off of stairs then you want to dial up the compression if you're going through a fast and choppy rock garden you can turn down the compression.

The Fit 140 has really improve the bikes performance but still has some limitations when I'm jumping off of stairs, it feels like the back is bottoming out. I already tacoed my rear rim a few days after owning the bike and bought a sturdier rim.

However if you're not going to do anything to crazy it's a good bike and will handle most all mountain conditions and stairs. Going down stairs with the stock fork the bike felt more unstable than my XTC 29er1.

The Elixir 5 brakes are okay but I would recommend replacing them with the new Shimano SLX/XT brakes or Avid Codes. I have the Code R's on mine and feel that they make the bike better.

A better way to go may be getting a Trance X4 and buying a 120mm 15mm Q/R FiT fork. The FiT fork is so much better and you can buy one for approximately $400 on Ebay. Then you could get a Monarch shock and get something that outperforms a Trance X1 for the price of an X3! Throw in a set of SLX brakes and you could have a very cool bike.
    Last edited by mefistofeles; 02-11-2012 at 03:31 AM.

MTBR Member
    Jan 2012
    I've got one question more. Has the RP2 in Trance X2 2012 had the ProPedal system.

mtbr member
    Yes it does

MTBR Member
    Jan 2012
    Some posts above it was written, but i hadnt seen it. sorry for stupid quests

Could you tell me how stroke control switch works, and claimed how much the damper change them stiffness with the next step of the switch adjuster? How many steps of adjusting that damper has - 3?
    Last edited by PeterMJ; 02-12-2012 at 09:57 AM.