mtbr member

New question here. 2012 Trance X3 or 2011 Trance X2

I had made up my mind to purchase a 2012 Trance X3 small. Tried to wheel and deal a bit with my lbs for a better price with no luck but they did offer me a 2011 Trance X2 small for just a few more dollars. As this is my first Giant bike and my first FS bike I thought where better to seek advice than you guys in the giant forums.I have no doubt that they are both great bikes but I do get confused by all the different component levels so any advice from you would be very welcome indeed.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    X4 and spend the rest on a 140mm fork.

if not then the x2, same bike different color and higher spec.(and cheaper)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Fox Float RP2 Boostvalve <- this is very important IMO

2010 Glory custom FR
    If I were you, I would take 2011 Trance X2, coz the frame is just the same, but everything else is just better! And I mean, every single part!
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

I bought an X2 and if I could do everything over again I would buy an X4 and change out the fork,brakes and rear shock. Note that I did end up changing the brakes fork and fork,eventually I will probably end changing the shock as well.

mtbr member
    It's awfully hard to pass up a good deal on a 2011 when you find one. The X2 "was" my favorite spec trance. This years X3 is not as good.
    Giant Trance Advanced SL0
    Black Cat 26 " SS

mtbr member
    i was in the same dilema. i ended up w/ an x2 and love it. i calculated it out and to change the drive train, brakes, forks, etc would of cost me a lot more. ive been wanting to get better brakes not a huge fan of elixir's and getting a new front fork, but i'll just ride them till they break and then upgrade.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by giant_in_a_trance View Post

I see your logic and point of view but I really don't have the knowledge or experience to buy a bike and then starting to rebuild it right away. My luck I would probably make the bike worse. I have to assume that Giant have built both bikes to a reasonable and well balanced spec for their price points.I will indeed upgrade as time goes by and parts break.
    Thank you everybody for your advice and recommendations. I will go tomorrow and check out both bikes again and probably will have more questions when I return.

mtbr member
    Being your first Giant and and your first FS bike; I would go with the '11 X2 since it's a higher spec'd bike and a "better deal". You will thrilled when you go for your first ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I would buy the '11 x2 and just ride. i bought the x4 I am just going to ride until things break then replace.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by giant_in_a_trance View Post

Is that a popular route to go.. to buy the X4 then build it out?...

I like that idea.. have you done just that?.. seems like you could get a good deal on a revelation dual air and a pushed monarch and still be around the same price as a X2...

Then upgrade brakes at some point...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seamarsh View Post

I like that idea.. have you done just that?.. seems like you could get a good deal on a revelation dual air and a pushed monarch and still be around the same price as a X2...

Then upgrade brakes at some point...
    but then you also have cheaper cranks, derailer, etc

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

I can't say it's a popular route but given the price of components on E bay and the cost of a Trance X2 versus a Trance X4 it would probably be a better route. You could probably build something on par or better than a Trance X1 for the price of a Trance X2. The advantage this approach is that you can spec the bike the way you want it and pay for what you want. For example the three ring Shimano SLX crankset is good but I would have preferred a two ring Shimano SLX M665 crankset.

For me however the fork and the brakes were the main issue with the brakes being replaced first followed by the fork.

mtbr member
    2011 X2 vs. 2012 X4 Remember? I'm thinking they should be pretty close in price if your LBS is willing to deal.
    Giant Trance Advanced SL0
    Black Cat 26 " SS

mtbr member
    Thank you guys for all your help, advice and opinions. I finally bit the bullet and purchased the 2011 X2 I pick it up tomorrow. I'll post some shiney new pics once I get the reflectors off.
    Thanks again.