mtbr member

2012 Trance X shock length/recommendations

Hello Giant owners
    I'm looking to come back to Giant after a couple of years on a 456 carbon. I started on Giants many moons ago with an old ATX, then an NRS Team then a Reign.
    I've found a good deal on a Trance X frameset but it doesn't have a shock. \Does anyone know the required shock length? Also are there any recommendations for what shock to go for? Wanna try and work out if it's as good a deal as it seems..
    Thanks
    Steve

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    5.25 x 1.75
    Enjoy your ride

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    7.25x 1.25
    184x44
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Correction1

7.25 x 1.75

This is a correction as Kikoraa was correct. My bad, i guess i didn't know what i was talking about.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    for a fox rp23 your looking at 300-380, for a frame without a rear shock id pay no more then 350 however i have a brand new rear shock from my trance x4 that i would sell for 200!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by deesta View Post
    Hello Giant owners
    I'm looking to come back to Giant after a couple of years on a 456 carbon. I started on Giants many moons ago with an old ATX, then an NRS Team then a Reign.
    I've found a good deal on a Trance X frameset but it doesn't have a shock. \Does anyone know the required shock length? Also are there any recommendations for what shock to go for? Wanna try and work out if it's as good a deal as it seems..
    Thanks
    Steve
    If your building from scratch ,I've hit Trance X nirvana. I 'm using a Giant stock tune 2011 boost valve rp2 with offset bush, Rev 150 with travel spacer to 130mm, 650b front.
    I gots lots of other bikes and keep swapping bits as i go. My TX is an 09 and I've had all sorts of combo's on it .Longer shocks to 29er fronts. It actually does them all ok.
    Current setup gives the Tx a more contemporary low slung slack trail bike feel though.
    I measured it at 67.5 head angle.BB height is now about same as STd Tx even with higher AC fork and 650B front wheel.

I've also got a L tune RT3 which is good if you want a more marathon race bike. I've used the same tune RT3 on 4 of my other bikes. I initially hated the Giant tune boost valve rp2 which I got off flea bay . It was way too soggy and i had to run 20psi more than the RT3.
    Even though it was new I sent it in to Fox for a rebuild. it came back exactly the same.They said that's the Giant Tune. Hmm I had a think.Well it's brillant on the Dh rough terrain but mushhy on anything else. Why not add an offset bush which will kill three birds with one stone. Lower the high BB, slacken the steep head angle and lower the leverage ratio. And it works brilliantly. The shock is now a little gem .I don't get quite as much travel as the RT3 but it feels like it has at least 10mm more travel than it has. Just squeezes up perfectly and just soft enough in the mid stroke to take those muliple sharp edges hits.It's not as good a climber without propedal as the RT3.But it's still ok and a good compromise.

I'd already had 650b on it. the long chainstays and short front centre needs a bigger wheel to stop the under steer. I don't want to go any longer in the fork with 650b. this feels good. i've had up to a 150mm with 26" and this feels better. Along the way i also found that the Fox forks steer slower than the same travel Rockshox and DT forks. Even with a lower AC?Maybe it's because they flex a bit more. Another negative for my Tx. Not the stoutest frame off the blocks.

Now Santa Cruz TRC or Turner Burner eat your heart out . This thing rides really well.I'm looking out for a cheap 2011./ 12 Tx frame to update when the masses start diching their 26" Tx's for 29er Tx's.
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 10-20-2012 at 05:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    i guess the offset bush goes in the top of the shock? id like to slacken the head angle slightly but most likely to go for an angle headset unless i can be persuaded otherwise.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Yeh it does. I've tried a few offset bushes in other bikes with varying success. They change the initail leverage ratio, tire/ seatstay clearance and seat tube angle. All can be troublesome. Not in this case. Everything is a plus.A guy on ebay was custom making some stainless steel ones and he made it with max offset, Nearly a mm more than anyone else would. Lowering the BB is also a plus. Angleset doesn't do that as much. And a lot more expensive.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    Yeh it does. I've tried a few offset bushes in other bikes with varying success. They change the initail leverage ratio, tire/ seatstay clearance and seat tube angle. All can be troublesome. Not in this case. Everything is a plus.A guy on ebay was custom making some stainless steel ones and he made it with max offset, Nearly a mm more than anyone else would. Lowering the BB is also a plus. Angleset doesn't do that as much. And a lot more expensive.
    how about a link to the new bushings? Sounds interesting...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    only just seen this reply, interested in a link on the bush too if poss

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Thanks g i a t, so, what size do we need?
    I'm thinking this would make up for the longer 7.5" X2" shock?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    ive sent them an email to find size and price so waiting out on a reply, not really too sure what its gonna do for the bike but gotta be worth a try. i like the sound of a slightly slacker head angle.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Thanks again........