Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    304

    2012 Talon 0 29er

    A friend of mine considers buying this bike.

    Bikeradar.com testers were deeply disappointed from the 2011 Talon poor fork (Suntor) and not really impressed with the components.

    It seems that Giant guys read Bikeradar review and upgraded the Talon spec for 2012 ,so now it has a RockShox XC28 fork, full SRAM X5 drivetrain components and Elixir 1 breaks.

    Has anyone own a 2012 Talon 0 29er and can tell if the bike rides fine? How's RS fork? SRAM X5 components ??? breakes?

    Thanks, Mo.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by mo6500 View Post
    A friend of mine considers buying this bike.

    Bikeradar.com testers were deeply disappointed from the 2011 Talon poor fork (Suntor) and not really impressed with the components.

    It seems that Giant guys read Bikeradar review and upgraded the Talon spec for 2012 ,so now it has a RockShox XC28 fork, full SRAM X5 drivetrain components and Elixir 1 breaks.

    Has anyone own a 2012 Talon 0 29er and can tell if the bike rides fine? How's RS fork? SRAM X5 components ??? breakes?

    Thanks, Mo.
    I can't speak for the 2012 0 but I own a 2011 1 and absolutly love it! However, as you mentioned the fork is next on my upgrage list. Tell him to go for it, he won't be dissapointed!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    38
    I replaced the crap sun tour fork on my talon 1 (they didnt have a talon0 in 2010).
    I got the marzocchi bomber 44 micro ti and all I can say is wow! It should be just as much of a difference with the rock shock on the new talon 0. Also, mine came with the giant root hydro brakes and they are terrible! They are sitting in the shed next to the suntour fork now.

    The elixir brakes are an upgrade to the roots. Even after bleeding, cleaning and degreasing the rotors and pads I still could not get the tires to lock up no matter how hard I tried. The roots just dont have enough power.
    I got a set of slx m666 and again what a huge difference. This bike is amazing now.
    2011 Giant Talon 1
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    128
    My Wife has a brand new 2012 Talon 0 and it's a really nice bike. The components are nice and for the price it would be hard to find a better bike. The bike handles really well and it's fast. It rolls over stuff easily. The brakes Avid elixir 1's are OK but I can see a brake upgrade next year. The saddle and grips will be replaced soon.
    Last edited by excaliber; 05-30-2012 at 06:19 PM.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    132
    I bought a 2012 Talon 0 today, and the limited time I've had with the bike has been great!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by JAY55 View Post
    Talon is great for the money. Suntour fork doesn't compare to my Anthem X but it's a good bike : )
    Talon 0 comes with Rockshox not suntour

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JAY55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    82
    Talon is great for the money. Suntour fork doesn't compare to my Anthem X but it's a good bike : )
    ________
    11' Giant Talon 1
    11' Giant Anthem X 29er
    11' Giant Trance X2
    12' BMC Fourstroke FS02 XT
    13' Epic S-Works XX1

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,523
    The RS fork on the 2012 is almost as bad as the Suntour on the 2011, if you notice the fork on most Talon's is the first thing to get upgraded.

    IMO is one of the best (if not the best) bikes in it's price range.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    12
    The Talon 29er 2012 uses Aluxx grade SL aluminium same as the XTC 29er. I am wondering is there any weight difference between the 2 frames and by how much? Sorry for treadcrapping if it were deemed....=)

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ranger Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    71
    The talon uses the ALUXX not the ALUXX SL. The XTC with the ALUXX Sl is about 3.5-3.6 lbs in a 20" frame. The Talon should only be a little more than that. The XTC will be stiffer and offers the tapered head. Weight savings is only the minimal advantage.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    128
    The geometry is very different. After riding them both for a few weeks there is quite a difference. You sit more upright on the Talon compared to the much lower racing position on the XTC.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,523
    Quote Originally Posted by excaliber View Post
    The geometry is very different. After riding them both for a few weeks there is quite a difference. You sit more upright on the Talon compared to the much lower racing position on the XTC.
    The first big difference is the stem, the Talon has a 15d rise and the XTC has 7 if not mistaken. My Talon has the stem and bar of the XTC and for me it made a huge difference.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Mac View Post
    The talon uses the ALUXX not the ALUXX SL. The XTC with the ALUXX Sl is about 3.5-3.6 lbs in a 20" frame. The Talon should only be a little more than that. The XTC will be stiffer and offers the tapered head. Weight savings is only the minimal advantage.
    It is a bit confusing because it clearly stated on the Talon 0 2012 frame ALUXX SL (on the chainstay area.Could not post picture before of thread count) unless it's clearly an error. Hope the difference in weight do not exceed 200g Stiffer and tapered head is obviously a big plus.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    The first big difference is the stem, the Talon has a 15d rise and the XTC has 7 if not mistaken. My Talon has the stem and bar of the XTC and for me it made a huge difference.
    Agreed.Changed to the latest KCNC 18degree rise flipped backward and the ride is so much better although some credit does go to the new fork as well.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by excaliber View Post
    The geometry is very different. After riding them both for a few weeks there is quite a difference. You sit more upright on the Talon compared to the much lower racing position on the XTC.
    Tested both as well.Stock xtc 29er 2011 vs 2012 Talon 0 fully modded.I think very slight difference in geometry of the "frame" but difference in terms of stiffness,headtube and stem rise.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •