mtbr member
    Sep 2013

2012 Talon 0 for $600.

Would it be a good deal to get a 2012 Talon 0 for $600 from my LBS? They've had it there all summer and presumably all last winter. They have it at $1100, but they said they would sell it to me for $750. I wondered if I walked in there with $600 cash if they would take it. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your Best Friend
    Nope. They won't take a loss on it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

2012 Talon 0 for $600.

Well, it's kinda weird. There are two owners in this shop. I talked to one owner about the bike and he told me $750 for it. I came back later in the day and he was gone and asked the other guy about the price of the bike and he said $675 for it. So, I wondered if I went in there with $600 cash, they would consider it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

2012 Talon 0 for $600.

Just a thought. I'm fairly new to the biking world. Just in the market for a new mountain bike that is under $1000.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just go in there with $600 CASH and say, "this is all my wife will let me spend on a bike, will you accept this?" as you are saying this take out the money, show him the six $100 bills and try to hand them to him. He will have a very hard time saying no to the cash and releasing it from his grasp. Wost thing that can happen is he says no.

Please let us know how it works out by showing pics of your new bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

2012 Talon 0 for $600.

That's what I was thinking! I just wondered if it's insulting. I just know they have had it in their shop for a while. I don't really know why they haven't sold it. It's a decent bike, no?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggiedeline View Post
    It's a decent bike, no?
    Poorly controlled Suntour fork would need upgrading to go off the bike paths.
    "The Suntour fork is a big disappointment. While it boasts a plush 100mm of compression and offers decent preload adjustment and a lockout, rebound topout is an undamped thunk and the lockout creates a rattly feel.
    As if that wasnít enough, the fork height and its skinny stanchions noticeably flex and flutter under braking, or when the terrain gets rough. Put simply, the fork compromises the Talonís ride potential."
    From Bike Radar review of a 2011.
    Nick at Suntour has an upgrade to a 2014 Raidon air(4.2lbs) for $200. The stock fork is 6+lbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    For $600-675 you would be hard pressed to find a better bike, buy it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

2012 Talon 0 for $600.

That's what I've been gearing, that the forks are really bad on the talons. I'd like to use it in the Iceman Cometh next year. Thank you guys for the advice! I'm glad my first post wasn't a bad experience! Ha!

Your Best Friend
    Why is it any time a suntour fork is mentioned, eb1888 shows up? Curious. Anyway. Good luck. You could try it. I work at a Giant shop and I would definitely look at you cross eyed if you tried to hand me $600. If it was less than what we paid for the bike, I'd tell you to pound sand.

mtbr member
    If they take the $600 get it, the 2012 doesn't come with the Suntour; it comes with a Rock Shox XC28 as per BikePedia.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    If they take the $600 get it, the 2012 doesn't come with the Suntour; it comes with a Rock Shox XC28 as per BikePedia.
    Yep... Mine came with a Rock Shox XC 28. Like someone else said, go try the $600 cash deal and see what happens. Worst thing they can do is say no. At least you'll know. I bought mine new, in mid-summer 2011, right when the dealer first got the new 2012 models in stock. I paid $1,100 for mine, plus tax. At $600 (if they do it), you better not just get it..............you better DAMN WELL get it!!! :-)

mtbr member
    do it mate.
    ________
    11' Giant Talon 1
    11' Giant Anthem X 29er
    11' Giant Trance X2
    12' BMC Fourstroke FS02 XT
    13' Epic S-Works XX1

Your Best Friend
    Report?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

2012 Talon 0 for $600.

No report yet. It's still sitting there and I've been waiting on a commission check from my work. I did a little looking around online and saw something I'd like to get opinions on. I'm not sure if this is the right forum to do it, but I'll do it anyways. I saw a Trek X-Caliber 9 online for $1300. I don't know much about specs and stuff like that, but I was wondering what would be a better bike to get, a '12 Talon 0 or a X-caliber 9?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

2012 Talon 0 for $600.

Actually, let me give a little better insight. I'm looking for a bike that is a little above entry level. I want to do a couple of mountain bike races in my area, Iceman Cometh Challenge, being one of them. I would like a bike that the components last at least a year on. Of course I know that's kinda hard to judge because of how hard you rid your bike. I started riding about 6 months ago when I bought a Trek 3900 at a garage sale for $40. Since then I've put about $200 into it just replacing the crank, chain, cassette, tires and rear rim. So now I'm looking to up grade to a better bike.

I saw the '12 Giant Talon 0 sitting at my LBS and liked the looks of it. They had the '13 but I didn't like the color. I know, lame. I'm just looking to stay under $1000 for my next bike. I know sometimes you can grab a $1500 bike for $1000, so that's what I'm looking at. I'd even spend $1300 on the Trek x-caliber 9 if it was well worth it. Thanks again to everyone who's been posting and helping me out!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggiedeline View Post
    Actually, let me give a little better insight. I'm looking for a bike that is a little above entry level. I want to do a couple of mountain bike races in my area, Iceman Cometh Challenge, being one of them. I would like a bike that the components last at least a year on. Of course I know that's kinda hard to judge because of how hard you rid your bike. I started riding about 6 months ago when I bought a Trek 3900 at a garage sale for $40. Since then I've put about $200 into it just replacing the crank, chain, cassette, tires and rear rim. So now I'm looking to up grade to a better bike.

I saw the '12 Giant Talon 0 sitting at my LBS and liked the looks of it. They had the '13 but I didn't like the color. I know, lame. I'm just looking to stay under $1000 for my next bike. I know sometimes you can grab a $1500 bike for $1000, so that's what I'm looking at. I'd even spend $1300 on the Trek x-caliber 9 if it was well worth it. Thanks again to everyone who's been posting and helping me out!
    It sounds to me like you're unsure of really wanting the 2012 Talon. My philosophy has always been that if there's any level of doubt, then you probably shouldn't do it, for most, but not all, things. It's hard to argue with $600 for it though, if the LBS goes for it. I've been eyeballing the 2013 Salsa Horsethiefs that UC has on sale right now for around 35% off. I'd love to have one, but then again I'm unsure about it. Why? Because I don't really need another bike right now, but I would like to eventually get an FS bike at some point in the future. Also, I'm not so sure I want to buy a complete bike next time around, either.

You know that 2012 Talon 0 you've been drooling over? Mine looks totally different now. In another couple weeks from now, the only thing left on mine that will be stock is the frame itself and the main drive train components. And, I'll almost certainly upgrade the whole drive train next spring, too. The 2012 Talon 0 was my first mountain bike. I've transformed it into a really nice "beast" now, and I have no intentions of parting with it as a result. But, imagine what I could have had if I had done it differently in the beginning? I don't know for sure, without adding it all up, but I do know for certain that I now have well over $3K into my Talon, given it's initial cost and everything I've upgraded on it since (over about 2.5 years now).

Also, I have loved tweeking it to my "customized" liking, too. In other words, I enjoy changing things about it and making it an even better bike. So, in the end, just be sure what you think you really want is what you really do want. The only way you can know that though is through experience. Hindsight is always 20/20, as they say. My next bike will be a full suspension. More than likely another 29er, but maybe a 27.5er. And, there's a great possibility that I'll buy a raw frame, and build exactly what I want from that (unless I cave in on a complete Horsethief or Cannondale Trigger, etc.).

If your intentions are of buying the 2012 Talon o at $600, and then riding it, trashing it, and being done with it, after not really having to do anything about changing anything on it, then by all means go for it. I've heard that's basically what some people do with el cheapo Wally World bikes..........buy it, thrash it, and then trash it. At least with the stock Talon (especially at level 0), you'll be getting a really nice, stock, inexpensive model.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

2012 Talon 0 for $600.

Wow, thank you for that complete response! I truly mean it. It's like you hoped in my head and knew exactly what I was thinking. I'm assuming this is normal then? Lol. I am unsure of it because I just don't want to jump in to a bike and then later down the line, wish I hadn't. I will never hear the end of it from my wife. I'm just trying to be smart with my money. I've been looking at this Talon for about 3 or 4 months now, but I wonder if I am because that's all I have to look at? I live in a fairly small town and if you want more variety in bikes, you have to drive an hour to a Traverse City, Michigan. So it's not easy to go look at bikes in person, test drive them and make a good decision. All I really can do is look online, but that doesn't tell me how they ride with me in the drivers seat. Plus, I really don't know anything about what the "good" components are. That's a lot of reading up on that I unfortunately don't have the time for.

You pose an interesting thought in my head about just buying a frame and building a bike. But then I think of the headache that would cause and to me, it's not worth it. I saw at my LBS that they have an Origin8 Scout for sale for $500. I bring that up cause I'm assuming that's a build bike and not one you can just buy anywhere so to speak. So then I wonder if that would be interesting to take on. Something that has already been built to the bike shop owners standards and go from there. Of course, I could always do that with the talon. If there's one thing I've learned from all of this, it's that nothing about buying a bike is really easy. That and there's too many choices for a guy like me who doesn't know anything and that doesn't have the personal help to make a decision. Thanks again!!

mtbr member
    Buying a bike at the lbs is like going to the candy store, you like almost everything you see but can only buy what you can afford

Your concern is valid and most of us have been in the same situation at some time, when I got the first Talon (currently own two) my budget didn't allowed for anything over 1k and after researching, visiting shops and test riding the Talon was my pick. It wasn't the cheapest but within my price range was the better equipped bike.

Yes, the fork is a boat anchor and is crap but so do most on that price range. If you go thru the Talon thread you'll see that the worse component of the bike is the fork but you barely see people complaining about the X5 drivetrain. Some complain about the weight of the wheels, tire selection or power of the brakes but who else gives you hydro brakes on their entry level line? Most do mechanical at the most.

If you're unsure about the purchase or about what kind of bike to get stop, think about what you really want and based on your budget get the most bike that you can get on your price range. On entry level hardtails the Talon is hard to beat but that's just my opinion.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    On entry level hardtails the Talon is hard to beat but that's just my opinion.
    My opinion, too... And, at only $600 (if you can really get it for that) for a new 2012 Talon 0, it's more or less a steal! You almost need to buy it just to buy it, at that great of a deal.

Here's one way to put it into perspective: As DiRt DeViL mentioned, the fork that comes on it isn't great, but it's up to you whether you want to invest in upgrading it. Like most everyone else, I did. And, the fork upgrade I chose was only about $70 less than a whole, complete, really nice, entry-level hardtail you're talking about here (if you can get it for only $600). So, for the reduced cost of the bike, there's absolutely no question about whether it would be worth it. It certainly is! You just need to be sure it's what you really want and need based on your final desires, planned intentions, and where you see yourself going with it from initial purchase.

As an aside, after I posted earlier this morning, I decided to itemize what I've upgraded on mine so far, and price it out. Including the original cost of the bike itself, I'm sitting at about $3,445. I could have had an AWESOME FS 29er for that amount of money. But, guess what I have instead? 2.5 years of awesome memories, fantastic experiences, a wealth of new-found biking knowledge (aka growth and enlightenment), and a ton-o-fun via changing up almost everything about the bike since I've had it. I'm glad I have all of that now, too. So, it just depends on what your mindset is about what you really want, where you want to go with it, and your perceived involvement with mountain biking, in general.

Look at it like this... If you can get it at $600, buy it. Ride it. Even race it, like you said you want to do. See how you like it over time. In a year or so, get rid of it if you don't like it (even sooner if you realize that beforehand). Chances are you might even be able to break even on it, if you take care of it and keep it in good shape. If you find that you do really like it, after you have had it for awhile, then keep it. Expand on it. Make it an even better bike, by changing things you don't like about it or things that could be made to be better. In the end, you decide on how much you want to invest in it, or when to pull the plug on it. You won't be losing anything by paying $600 for what you get though. You wouldn't be losing out if you paid full price for what you get in the stock Talon 0...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

2012 Talon 0 for $600.

Great points guys! Thank you! You guys have given me some great food for thought. Maybe I will go ahead and purchase it once my commission check comes. We will see. Thank you again!