mtbr member
    Jan 2007

2012 Reign X frame

Hi,
    I currently have a 2010 Knolly Delirium, whilst it's a brilliant bike I always have more fun when riding my girlfriends Giant Cypher or friends Faiths and Glorys (I've become a bit of a fan of the meastro suspension) and am thinking of changing to a 2012 Reign X frame as they seem a bit more peddleable and lightweight, whilst having similar travel to the Knolly.

I've a few questions before I buy though...

Can the Giant take similar abuse to the Knolly? I like to hit fairly big (10 foot or so) drops and reasonable size gaps, would a Faith be more suitable?

I hear there's been issues with the lower link breaking, does this affect the 2012's?

Any issues with running a 180mm fork (fox 36 van)

I'll be swapping the DHX air for a coil shock asap, Does anyone know the shock eye to eye and stroke lengths?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

mtbr member
    To answer your questions:

The lower link has been redone.
    I'm sure you could run 180mm up front, people do it a lot, but the 160mm makes the bike very balanced and it feels amazing.
    I could be wrong, but I think the eye-to-eye is 7.875 x 2.5" (could be x2.25")

I've owned and ridden the 2012 Reign X1 and Faith in the past few months. If you want to go 180mm and swap for a coil, do yourself a favor and go for the Faith.The Reign X is very nimble and comfortable uphill, but I concluded that the bike wouldn't allow me to progress much further in FR side of things. An upgraded Reign X1 and Faith are comparable in price and I'm happy I sold the RX! and bought the Faith. If you have tons of money to blow and can afford the Reign X0 and upgrades, then you might as well go for it. Keep in mind that the Faith is 1x9, comes with bigger/better brakes, 180mm front/rear, and that you could make it 2x9 for less than the Reign X0 costs.

The tradeoff is that you won't have the uphill comfort with the Faith. That's the only downside. If you would like to ride epic AM, all the way up and all the way down trails then keeping the RX at 160mm is the way to go. If you don't mind hiking the steeper stuff and want full comfort and speed as you point downhill and huck, then the Faith is for you.

I wish I could have kept both :-/

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm a bit torn between the 2 now, the idea of getting a Reign X is for the weight saving and ability to pedal places I can't with the Knolly.
    Saying that though I don't really want to loose any ability on the big stuff, I've never really felt under biked on the Delirium on any drops, jumps or downhill, it's a pretty confidence inspiring bike just a bit slow on singletrack and more all mountain stuff and not all that nimble.

I've always run single chain ring setups so thats not really an issue, I've tried a Faith before and really liked it although it felt a bit slow on the ups it wasn't actually all that bad.

I think I need to find a Reign X to try out or maybe have a rethink and keep the knolly and get something a bit nimbler for when I'm not doing anything to big.....
    Cheers

mtbr member
    If you're going for weight saving and versatility, then RX is the way to go. The medium X1 weights 32lbs and is a very quick bike. It's a blast. The Faith weights 37lbs and is very sluggish when not pointed down.

FWIW- The DHX Air couldn't handle my 210lbs and has received very poor reviews from others that do the climbing and dropping you want. You could swap for a coil, but a more resilient air shock from Cane Creek or X-Fusion could be nice, too..
    Last edited by PeytonP; 03-05-2012 at 11:41 AM.

mtbr member
    I have a 2011 RX0 and I can tell you from experance that it is a VERY good ALL AROUND bike. I actually have 2 forks I use with it, a Marz 55 for xc and AM days, and a 888 that I put on for DH days. I aslo have a DHX coil that I use on DH days. I have also supprized a lot of people when I beat them the the race couse with my non-DH spacific bike. I would suggest the RX to you.

The shock I 2 I is 7.875 x 2.5
    Ride it like you Stole it

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    for 10feet drop I wont suggest RX.........get the Faith or Glory.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drummercat View Post
    for 10feet drop I wont suggest RX.........get the Faith or Glory.
    Are you kidding me.....ive done 14'+ on my RX. What i wouldnt suggest is doing them to flat. Its all about technique and how smooth you are. I think the Faith is going to be to heavy for what you want to do.
    Ride it like you Stole it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moutnbiker View Post
    Are you kidding me.....ive done 14'+ on my RX. What i wouldnt suggest is doing them to flat. Its all about technique and how smooth you are. I think the Faith is going to be to heavy for what you want to do.
    Thanks for correct shock dimensions!

I second the Reign X suggestion. I've already explained my decision to go with the Faith (although I left out my immediate headaches with the Fox suspension...). Also, common sense and technique effect bike handling almost as much as the suspension in this case.

With that said, the RX is amazing for all around riding, but the coil swap will essential for the hucks. The DHX Air will not support you. The OP has already said he wants a coil shock. So, throwing down the RX with a setup like he wants should be no problem...

and, to the OP- whether you get a new Reign X or just buy the frame and build to your liking, please share pictures when you can! I'd love to see your new rig.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by moutnbiker View Post
    The shock I 2 I is 7.875 x 2.5
    Sorry but this is not right. The stroke is 2.25 inch(57mm).

May contain nuts
    +1 PeytonP's advice. RX is a fine all-rounder but it's no DH/FR bike, (unless you're built like an Ethiopian on a diet).

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    +1 PeytonP's advice. RX is a fine all-rounder but it's no DH/FR bike, (unless you're built like an Ethiopian on a diet).
    I don't agree with that statement. I guess it depend on your definition of freeride. The Reign X share the sames specs, angle and stocks components that you will find on many other companies freeride labeled bikes. I have never heard of any Reign X frame(head tube, main frame, rear triangle etc) breaking under big impact, you? The only known problem is the lower link but again, they all seem to break when pedalling up hill.

As for the DHX Air not being able to support big guys, I'm simply having a hard time believing it. That shock has been spec on freeride and downhill bikes for many years. So unless you are 350 pounds, you should be able adjust the shock to work for you. Will it be the best performing shock? Many will say no. But it is not because it can't support the rider's weight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nightnerd View Post
    The only known problem is the lower link but again, they all seem to break when pedalling up hill.

As for the DHX Air not being able to support big guys, I'm simply having a hard time believing it. That shock has been spec on freeride and downhill bikes for many years. So unless you are 350 pounds, you should be able adjust the shock to work for you. Will it be the best performing shock? Many will say no. But it is not because it can't support the rider's weight.
    Two things-
    The lower link has been rebuilt and the 2012 have what I believe to be the third iteration. They are tougher, but time will tell how they hold up.

Concerning the DHX-Air, I had nothing but trouble with it. I am 6'3" and 210lbs, and the shock would blow through travel just riding off of a curb! After several calls to Fox and a return because the rebound knob stuck, I abandoned it after two months. On this bike design, it couldn't perform well without running dangerously high pressures. I took special care in tuning, but it still blew through and bottomed out on the most minor things.
    It could be sent somewhere and tuned or shimmed, but then sensitivity is lost as it ramps up immediately...

I would not recommend the the DHX-air to anyone wanting to hit drops, and especially if they weigh 200+lbs. For what the OP would like to do, a coil shock is essential on this bike, but who knows? Maybe he's 150lbs and the air could work well for him.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post

I'm 5'11, 196 pounds. Granted my X is coil sprung front/rear, but I've taken it to Diablo a bunch of times and did my first DH race at Plattekill on it. It'll never be as fast as a Glory, but they can handle DH/FR just fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Anyone want to sell their DHX Air? I know a 120 pound girl who could use it on her Reign SX.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bspill1 View Post
    Anyone want to sell their DHX Air? I know a 120 pound girl who could use it on her Reign SX.
    LOL I don't know if this was meant to be funny, but I'm laughing anyway.
    My friend will be coiling his ReignX soon and could then be up for selling the DHX-Air. Ill ask him about it.

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by nightnerd View Post
    I don't agree with that statement. I guess it depend on your definition of freeride. The Reign X share the sames specs, angle and stocks components that you will find on many other companies freeride labeled bikes. I have never heard of any Reign X frame(head tube, main frame, rear triangle etc) breaking under big impact, you? The only known problem is the lower link but again, they all seem to break when pedalling up hill.

Even Giant don't label it as FR.
    67deg HA, 3.0 leverage ratio... not my definition of a DH/huck bike... you may beg to differ. Doesn't mean I don't like doing that stuff on it; it's kinda fun being able to ride the same tracks as guys on bigger bikes and then riding back up the hill, but it's much harder work trying to keep up with them on the downs

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Right!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for all the info guys.
    I'm pretty set on a Reign X, from what I can tell it'll do pretty much everything I want with a coil and my 180mm forks and should be sturdy enough for most things.
    Only problem is my local shop that'll do me a very good deal can't get one as Giant UK have no stock of medium RX frames, so may have a wait on my hands.

Also, I can't find a 2012 Faith on the Giant UK website, it looks like it's been dropped for the UK market, I've found a few 2010 Faith X0 bikes going for pretty good deals which are tempting but I reckon the Reign x is more what I'm looking for, looks like I'll just have to sit tight and wait until they come back in stock.

Cheers

mtbr member
    I think I've read recently that there is a new way to order Giant frames and bikes. It was my understanding that they had a site now where you could order whatever and have it sent to your nearest Giant dealer. Maybe this is just a North American service, but it's worth checking into.

Well... I say all that and then I just looked at the Giant UK website. It's odd that they would have the Reign X and Glory framesets and not include a Faith at all. I'd give them a call and ask why (if you're really that curious about the new Faith- which, by the way, I am LOVING. I mean, I literally dreamed about it last night)