mtbr member
    Jul 2009

2012 Reign Questions:

Giants website is notoriously devoid of information, so I'd figure I'd hit you guys up for some information.

For reference, I'm looking at getting a used Reign.

1. Is the bottom bracket press-fit (I've heard rumors?), or just normal threaded?

2. Whats the deal with the Giant Overdrive head-tubes? What are the size of the head tube, and what headset will I need to put a standard straight steerer in? I'd perfer a cane creek!

3. I know some people "convert" these to a Reign X by added a longer stroke shock, is this still possible? I don't anticipate ever doing it, but my younger brother who'll most likely be using the bike in the future might want to.

Thanks dudes

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by arkon11 View Post

1. Is the bottom bracket press-fit (I've heard rumors?), or just normal threaded?
    Pressed in - BB91/92

2. Whats the deal with the Giant Overdrive head-tubes? What are the size of the head tube, and what headset will I need to put a standard straight steerer in? I'd perfer a cane creek!
    44 top
    56 bottom

there are a few Headset options out there.

3. I know some people "convert" these to a Reign X by added a longer stroke shock, is this still possible? I don't anticipate ever doing it, but my younger brother who'll most likely be using the bike in the future might want to.
    Reign uses a 7.875 x 2 shock
    Reign x uses a 7.875 x 2.25 shock

you can use a longer stroke shock on the Reign, but if you use a front derailleur, you need to check for clearance under bottom out (make sure it doesn't make contact with swingarm)