mtbr member

2012 Giant Yukon FX Questions!!!!!!

Ok, give me the scoop on the Yukon FS bike. I know, I know, it does not have the maestro linkage in rear, but it is 500 bucks less then cheapest Trance 4. I can alway improve components, but I don't think I can get into a FS bike any cheaper then a brand new, full warrantied, Giant Yukon FX. All that said, please give me your honest feedback to a Noob.
    Last edited by iamspartacus; 06-03-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Go Bruins!
    The Yukon FX, while a decent entry level bike, is not close to a Trance X4. I own a X4 myself purchased in 2010. I only paid $1200 brand new for my bike. Instead of thinking of upgrading a low end entry level bike. Think about saving for a little while longer and shopping around for a better deal on a new or used Trance. You cannot go wrong.

If your heart is set on the Yukon, you'll probably want to upgrade the fork, cranks and rear derailleur first. These changes on this bike will make a big difference, but will cost you close to $500-$600. This is why I suggest going for a better bike straight up.
    Get out and ride even when you don't want to because ten minutes into the ride you'll be glad you did.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have a 2010 Yukon FX my wife has a 2012. My first impressions of her 2012 is the SR Suntour fork on the 2012 is junk. My 2010 has a RS Dart 2 and while its not a high end fork its light years beyond the Suntour. The bike rides wonderfully, ive ridden both mine, the 2012 and my friends 2010 Trance X4. Aside from the improved fork I really didnt notice much difference but our local trails dont max out the capabilities of the Yukon so I cant really do a fair comparison. The Trance is a couple of lbs lighter than the Yukon. The X4 isnt really that much of an upgrade aside from having the Maestro rear suspension, Id go for at least an X3 or higher if I were to buy a Trance.

If you get the Yukon plan on the following things...

Upgrade the front fork.
    Upgrade the front derailluer. My 2010 came with an X7 which works fine but I believe my wife's 2012 came with an X5 and it seems to be a little sloppy.
    The X4 rear derailluer has yet to fail me and Ive ridden it pretty hard for close to a year now.

Also the wheelset on both bikes are pretty heavy. I replaced mine and went tubeless. Im not a fan of the stock tires on the 2012 and will probably be putting my Kenda Nevegals off my 2010 on her 2012.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

mtbr member
    Really it depends on the type of riding you are going to do. I have a Yukon and I love it. of course I went from a Trek 3700 to the Giant, so it was an upgrade for me. If you're going to go all out downhill on this bike, then it probably won't work or meet your expectations.

One of the things I did to compare the bike was I looked at the reviews for the bike I was currently riding, which weren't great. I loved my bike, but it had some terrible reviews. So I kept that in perspective when i was bike shopping. Some people don't like the front shock. I haven't had any problems or dislikes with it. but then again I crossed over from an entry level hard tail.

go to your local bike shop and try one out. I think for the price, the bike is pretty fantastic.

mtbr member
    For an extra 150, I can get a Scott Spark 70. The components level is SLX with Shimano Hydraulic brakes. It has a Rock Shox fork and Schwalbe tires. The suspension system is a little different, but they both ride very nice. I don't think I would have to upgrade the Scott much, but I know there would be things to upgrade on the Giant. The Trance is 500 more then the Yukon FX. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Get whichever one fits your budget and you best. If you think the spark is a better deal than go for it. The SLX components will be better than the SRAM stuff most likely. If its worth the $150 for the spark or the $500 for the trance TO YOU. Then go for it. Personally I couldnt justify the $500 at the time for the Trance when the Yukon met all my needs.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

mtbr member
    That is exactly what I was thinking. The Yukon and Spark rode very similar. I knew I wanted to upgrade components on the Yukon the moment I started looking at it, but for 150 more, I got a lot of the upgrades I would want to make on the Spark. Those would cost well over 150 bucks anyway. I don't have the means to jump up another 500 bucks for the Trance, and I don't know if I would end up with a better bike anyway. I already blew my original budget of 700 bucks, but I truly feel I found the best deal for me. It looks like I am going to pick up the Spark.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Congrats, enjoy the ride man.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX