mtbr member
    Jul 2010

2012 Giant Reign X2

Hey guys, I have been looking to replace my 2011 Reign2 for something more descending oriented for the last couple of weeks and had looked at a Specialized Enduro Comp, a Cannondale Claymore 2 and a Trek Slash 7 or 8. Had inquired about the Reign X1 at the lbs but they told me that it would cost US5,200 so I quickly wrote that off. I live in Panama btw.

However, this weekend the giant lbs calls me to tell me that they had just received a 2012 reign x2, I didnt know that bike existed as its not listed in Giant USAs website (which I use for reference), I cant place the link to the bike specs as I dont have 10 posts, but its on the giant international page.

I see that the component spec is pretty basic but seems to be enough, however Im very interested in comments about the bike from the forum members.

Cheers

Specs

Frame
    Sizes XS,S, M, L
    Colors Brown/Black
    Frame ALUXX SL-Grade Aluminum, 6.7" Maestro Suspension
    Fork RockShox Lyric R Coil w/ 20mm Thru Axle and OverDrive 2 Steerer, 160mm Travel
    Shock RockShox Kage R, Coil
    Components
    Handlebar Giant Contact AM, 750mm, 31.8
    Stem Giant Contact AM, OverDrive 2
    Seatpost Giant Connect SL, 30.9
    Saddle Fi'zi:k Nisene w/ 7mm Manganese Rails
    Pedals Giant Alloy Platform
    Drivetrain
    Shifters SRAM X5, 2x9 Speed
    Front Derailleur Shimano M665 Double Specific
    Rear Derailleur SRAM X7
    Brakes Avid Elixir 3, [F] 180mm [R] 180mm
    Brake Levers Avid Elixir 3
    Cassette SRAM PG-950 11-34, 9-Speed
    Chain Shimano HG-73
    Crankset SRAM GXP-2 24/36 w/ MRP LRP Guide
    Bottom Bracket SRAM GXP
    Wheels
    Rims Giant P-AM2
    Hubs [F] Giant Tracker w/ 20mm Axle, [R] Giant w/ 12mm Maxle QR, 32h
    Spokes Stainless Steel, 14/15g
    Tires Maxxis Minion DHF, 26x 2.35 Folding

mtbr member
    Even if it's an older model, it would be worth getting. It won't be top of the line shifting, but if you maintain it then it will last. The other thing to note is the coil shock, which in my opinion is better for this bike since you want a great descender. I sold my 2012 Reign X1 because I did not like the Fox DHX Air at all. That said, I really miss the bike. It has amazing geometry and feels on everything.
    This bike would be a great platform to ride and upgrade as needed

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hey Peyton thanks for the reply. Ive been reading that thread on all the broken lower links on Reign Xs and frankly have started to get some second thoughts...however Im not sure if this has been corrected for 2012.

mtbr member
    The links have been reformed for 2012. It shouldn't have any issues.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by PeytonP View Post
    The links have been reformed for 2012. It shouldn't have any issues.
    Any pictures of the new link .....

mtbr member
    Pictures here: My New 2012 Reign X1- photos inside!

The scratch is from the derailleur bring mounted too low.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I sold my 2012 Reign X1 because I did not like the Fox DHX Air at all. That said, I really miss the bike. It has amazing geometry and feels on everything.
    Dude... you sold it 'cause you didn't like the air can on it? Shoulda just bought a used coil, man!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Dude... you sold it 'cause you didn't like the air can on it? Shoulda just bought a used coil, man!
    I think about that when hiking, but forget all about it when I'm flying over everything downhill

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I think about that when hiking, but forget all about it when I'm flying over everything downhill
    I bought a cheap Van-R ($90) and found an "inexpensive" titanium spring for it... SOOOOO much better than that worthless DHX-Air. Weight be DAMNED!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Well I went ahead and bought the bike, I got a good deal and with what I saved compared to my other options I can be doing some nice upgrades when needed. I'm super stoked can't wait to hit some trails this weekend...!

mtbr member
    I'm excited for you bro! Post some pics after you rip it up!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have a 2011 X2. Awesome bike. Small changes made to fit ( stem length, seat, wider bars). I am swapping the brakes out to XT but the Elixer 3's work fine. I find them noisy but when bled properly have lots of stopping power. I suffer through the ride up to enjoy the ride down. The spec on yours is pretty much the same as the 2011. Lots of fun. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hey guys thank you for the replies! Im hoping that the extra suffering will at least make me stronger jeje, oh well...

Here is a crappy night pic taken at my place.

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Giant Reign X2-bike2.jpg  

May contain nuts
    You'll love it. ReignX are fun'ner than a fart in an elevator...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    nice bike, time to remove the reflectors!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cazadaniel View Post
    I have a 2011 X2. Awesome bike. Small changes made to fit ( stem length, seat, wider bars). I am swapping the brakes out to XT but the Elixer 3's work fine. I find them noisy but when bled properly have lots of stopping power. I suffer through the ride up to enjoy the ride down. The spec on yours is pretty much the same as the 2011. Lots of fun. Enjoy.
    Hey did you go for bigger rotors as well? Im not too convinced about the 185mm front 160mm back combo on this bike, my reign is currently 200/180, I think Im gonna swap for the 200 before I hit the trails.

Quote Originally Posted by trdspectacoma View Post
    nice bike, time to remove the reflectors!!
    Jeje that is a very good call, havent really rode it yet so those will definitely come off before the weekend. I find it funny that the bike also had a seat tube and handlebar reflectors, at least removed those for the pic!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Chimi

My 2011 X2 came with 185mm G3 avid rotors front and back as spec'd (in Canada at least). My XT's showed up today and I got the 180mm two piece rotors. From the forums here the 180's seem to be enough. Will find out soon. I never found the 185 G3's to be an issue. I never had a problem stopping. Enjoy the ride and get the first scratch on the new bike under your belt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

One more thing.....

Chimi

I didn't mention this earlier but I had the mission control DH compression cartridge and the mission control rebound damper cartridge put into my lyrik. I also had the 170mm spring assembly swapped in for the 160mm. I have the firm spring (black) on the left hand fork stanchion aswell. The blue medium spring that came with the bike was too soft for me. 195 lbs with gear on and was bottoming wight the blue spring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cazadaniel View Post
    Chimi

I didn't mention this earlier but I had the mission control DH compression cartridge and the mission control rebound damper cartridge put into my lyrik. I also had the 170mm spring assembly swapped in for the 160mm. I have the firm spring (black) on the left hand fork stanchion aswell. The blue medium spring that came with the bike was too soft for me. 195 lbs with gear on and was bottoming wight the blue spring.
    Caza, Im 170 without gear so hopefully the stock spring is good. However, where did you purchase the mission control cartridges? That sounds very interesting.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Chimi,

I had the shop I bought the bike from put in the Mission Control DH compression cartridge for me. I had another add the mission control DH rebound and 170mm spring assembly.

Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011
    Thats a beast of a bike! How does it ride?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by James_spec View Post
    Thats a beast of a bike! How does it ride?
    Hey James Im pretty stoked about the bike! Havent ridden it yet, hopefully this weekend