Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    275

    2012 Giant Reign X BB Pressfit?

    im finding contradicting information on the bb for 2012 reign x0, x frameset...
    cand anyone conform if its pressfit of threaded?

    Reign X Frameset (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

    REIGN X (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | International

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chadalex78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by murrdogg11 View Post
    im finding contradicting information on the bb for 2012 reign x0, x frameset...
    cand anyone conform if its pressfit of threaded?

    Reign X Frameset (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

    REIGN X (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | International
    I think its pressfit like trance

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    275
    Quote Originally Posted by chadalex78 View Post
    I think its pressfit like trance
    yeah i think so too...but hoping someone knows so

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Endothermic Cavewalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    217
    The Reign X does not have a press fit bb. The international page might just be a simple mistake where they listed the bb for the shorter travel Reign and not the Reign X. Also, you can't have ISCG mounts on a frame with a press fit bb. Only way to achieve that is with an adapter and the Reign X clearly does not use any adapters on their frame. Take a look at Pivot. They designed their mid travel bikes around the press fit bb design and had to make an adapter for the ISCG mounted chain guides.

    So, if you are hoping for a press fit bb on the Reign X, you're out of luck.

  5. #5
    Flying in High in the Sky
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    259
    Wasn't there a thread on the 2010-2012 Reign X lower link breaking due to the ISCG 05 tabs? I'm pretty sure the Reign X is ISCG05. If i remember correctly the lower right link was design with a notch at the bend to clear a ISCG05 tab which was a weak point that fracture when the bike was on a climing angle. Not sure if Giant ever got that issue fixed. Haven't seen an update on that thread for along while now.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Endothermic Cavewalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    217
    I think that issue has been fixed. I think Giant fixed that issue midway through the 2010 production year. Any frame after 2010 should not have this issue. All I know is I haven't seen or heard of any lower link breakages after I've read that Giant has addressed the issue and changes in production have been made. One thing is for sure though, be sure to avoid any used frames from 2010.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Endothermic Cavewalker View Post
    I think that issue has been fixed. I think Giant fixed that issue midway through the 2010 production year. Any frame after 2010 should not have this issue. All I know is I haven't seen or heard of any lower link breakages after I've read that Giant has addressed the issue and changes in production have been made. One thing is for sure though, be sure to avoid any used frames from 2010.
    I don't think it has been fixed yet. The thread about broken links has people saying they have broken the 2nd gen lower link as well. It also says there is a 3rd gen lower link due out in late June early July.

    I believe one member grinded off one of his ISCG mounting tabs and fit a standard Reign (non X) lower link and has had no problems

  8. #8
    Flying in High in the Sky
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    259
    I guess Giant hasn't resolved that issue as of yet. I don't see any reviews on the current Reign X bikes so can't really say if the lower link issue was dealth with. Anyone with a 2010 Reign X care to chim in? Gaint should of stayed with the ISCG old tabs on the X instead of ISCG05. The only fix is if Giant made a steel or titanium lower link.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Endothermic Cavewalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by JFA*SC View Post
    I don't think it has been fixed yet. The thread about broken links has people saying they have broken the 2nd gen lower link as well. It also says there is a 3rd gen lower link due out in late June early July.

    I believe one member grinded off one of his ISCG mounting tabs and fit a standard Reign (non X) lower link and has had no problems
    I totally thought that those issues were dealt with and fixed. Guess not. I wonder if the issue will be fixed by 2013. They are adding ISCG mounts to the lower travel Reign I've heard...

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9
    I have 2011 X2. Press fit headset. Threaded BB. No broken lower links so far

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    12
    deleted my comment. answered in another thread.
    Last edited by klivic; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:24 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •