mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Hope 2012 Giant Anthem X 29 0 - Good enough for Canada & US 'All mountain trails'?

Hi All

Have been riding for a couple of years mostly just XC/trail type riding. I'm looking to increase my technical skills for my trip to Canada and the US in 2015. With this in mind I was wondering if there were any opinions on whether I should try and make my Anthem into more of an all mountain machine with shorter stem, wider bars, dropper post and maybe a 120 - 140mm fork.

With its current set up (stock except for grips and wheelset) it seems pretty stable on the descents, however I understand the Canadian and US trails will have some pretty gnarly descents in the mountains. As such I was thinking the other way to go may be to build up a dedicated 26/650b all mountain bike. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Brad
    Last edited by 29AM; 04-10-2013 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Punctuation

mtbr member
    The Anthem really isn't an AM bike. I think there's more to that than just the travel, it's the frame - both geometry and build. An AM frame is going to be a little heavier, because it's stronger. You might be much happier building something up. Ride whatever you build up when you hit some gnarlier trails, and keep the Anthem for more XC like stuff. It would be a bummer to get out on a ride and toast the Anthem because you were using it outside it's designed intentions.

mtbr member
    +1 to what Cotharyus says. Though I love my Anthem, its an XC race bike, and my Trance is much more fun in the rough stuff...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for that guys. Might look at building up a Transition Covert. Do you think Fox 34 or 36 or Rock Shox Revelation?

Your Best Friend

Re: 2012 Giant Anthem X 29 0 - Good enough for Canada & US 'All mountain trails'?

Geez, since when is a mountain bike not a mountain bike? Your Anthem will go anywhere you are skilled enough to take it. Unless you are planning on some serious drops, your bike will not be the limiting factor. Now, if you are just looking for an excuse to build a bike, just do it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Geez, since when is a mountain bike not a mountain bike? Your Anthem will go anywhere you are skilled enough to take it. Unless you are planning on some serious drops, your bike will not be the limiting factor. Now, if you are just looking for an excuse to build a bike, just do it.
    Thanks for the feedback. In all honesty, I'd rather not build another bike and spend the money on the actual trip. I'm not really a big drop sort of rider so as you said it seems to be about increasing my tech skills.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

2012 Giant Anthem X 29 0 - Good enough for Canada & US 'All mountain trails'?

If ever there is a XC/Race bike that can be versatile, it's the Anthem. From my short time on mine, it truly transcends its category. What Mountain Bike just ranked it runner up in their Trail Bike (not XC bike) of The Year. I think it would do the job. Would it be the best tool for the job? I guess that depends on how burly of terrain you plan to hit. While the Anthem would probably tackle most terrain, of course a true AM bike would let you push the boundaries a bit more and perhaps be more fun, just like an XC bike would be more fun and more manageable on XC trails. Right tool for the job after all. My take though is that I also plan to do some road trips to varying trails, and I don't plan on taking anything but my Anthem. If I go downhilling somewhere , I'll rent a bike...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GT5050 View Post
    If ever there is a XC/Race bike that can be versatile, it's the Anthem. From my short time on mine, it truly transcends its category. What Mountain Bike just ranked it runner up in their Trail Bike (not XC bike) of The Year. I think it would do the job. Would it be the best tool for the job? I guess that depends on how burly of terrain you plan to hit. While the Anthem would probably tackle most terrain, of course a true AM bike would let you push the boundaries a bit more and perhaps be more fun, just like an XC bike would be more fun and more manageable on XC trails. Right tool for the job after all. My take though is that I also plan to do some road trips to varying trails, and I don't plan on taking anything but my Anthem. If I go downhilling somewhere , I'll rent a bike...
    Thanks for that. What do you think of the ideas that I have suggested in the first post? More specifically the fork. Would 140mm be too much? Do you know how much it would raise the BB by? I'm guessing it would not be by 40mm but I'm no engineer or mathematician. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

With the disclaimer that I am new to this bike - some Giant factory racers use the Anthem for enduros and it's won Downieville three times. Reason I point that out is I don't think anything was drastically changed, except a dropper post and I've also read that sometimes a 120 fork is used. Lots of guys here run 120's, I think 140 might be much (and perhaps cause warranty issues) but I don't know. I think a dropper post is a damn good idea for sure and a 120 fork might bias it more to that application, but forks get too pricey for my taste...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

ps I think it's no coincidence that Giant has dropper post routing on 2013 Anthems. It's a bike that is well suited to terrain that would warrant a dropper

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I've got the '12 anthem X1, great bike. I'll be swapping it out for a 150mm 650b though as, since this was my first mtb back in years, I thought I'd be more into XC stuff. Turns out I like going down more than up and the 100mm of travel gets run through pretty quickly.

That being said, I weigh 190 lbs and haven't broken anything riding socals burlier single track / DH stuff aggressively. The frame and wheels are great, I just got to a point where I needed a chain guide from taking chop at speed (after breaking 2 derailleurs and chains). Plus I get nervous about xc race wheels on the downward facing stuff I like to do weighing as much as I do.

As to the idea re: longer travel front fork and a dropper, both are great ideas but you'd start to run contrary to what the bike is for (XC race). I've upgraded my large with a dropper, XT brakes, hans dampf front tire (Maxxis Ikon rear), tubeless, XT pedals and the bike weighs in at 30 lbs with a bottle cage/garmin 500. For that much weight you can be into a bike with 50% more travel and much more fun (and safer) downs.

All depends on what you want to do with it, the bike can handle what you'll throw at it, just don't expect to run race pace down the rockies or whatever.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

^^ Good points. I guess it depends if you want a more burlier bike in general, or if you think the Anthem is suited for your typical riding but you're looking for temporary alterations for the occasional trip to burlier terrain. I assumed the latter so I came at it from that direction, and truth be told I personally am on that page as I think the Anthem is exactly the bike for my trails yet may embark on some trips myself.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The only thing I find with the Anthem is that it is more difficult to manual and loft the front wheel than other bikes that I have ridden. Also the steepish head angle is not as confidence inspiring on the descents. Just trying to work out where to put the cash. I guess the other option is to go and buy the Reign 1 for the price of two sets of forks...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    On the trail I swap out to a 120 mm fork. Head angle is 69.3 not much in way of descending it's not very capable at as long as your not looking at serious 4 ft drop plus action. Like all 29ers, the faster you go the smoother it gets. I find the shorter travel a limitation with long hours in the saddle, not on the descents.

UK WHAT mtb mag recently voted it 2nd best trail bike of the year. But they consider value for money etc. Came above Blur LTc , turner burner, lapierre zesty and about a doz others.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    On the trail I swap out to a 120 mm fork. Head angle is 69.3 not much in way of descending it's not very capable at as long as your not looking at serious 4 ft drop plus action. Like all 29ers, the faster you go the smoother it gets. I find the shorter travel a limitation with long hours in the saddle, not on the descents.

UK WHAT mtb mag recently voted it 2nd best trail bike of the year. But they consider value for money etc. Came above Blur LTc , turner burner, lapierre zesty and about a doz others.
    Wow, that's some pretty heavy duty competition that it beat. Hmm, yeah of course the 120mm fork will slacken the head angle. Good point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Maybe an angleset headset as well given that the new fork wouldn't be the pesky OD2? Or would that be going to far and upset the balance of the bike?

Slower But Faster
    It really depends on what you call "All Mountain". The Anthem 29 is a great bike but, having done some riding in British Columbia I wouldn't have wanted anything for riding there with a steeper geometry than my Reign X and even that was a bit marginal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yeah a fair bit of riding in BC will be on the cards including North Shore, Whistler, Squamish, Silverstar and Sun Peaks.

I believe that a number of trails will be outside my skill level but at the same time I want to push my limits because that's when it's the most fun.

I guess if my cash was unlimited, I would get a dedicated 'all mountain' rig with longer travel and slacker head angle etc. It's a while before I go, so I guess I'll just get out there and ride my Anthem as hard as possible for now to up my skills and then have another think about it.

Thanks for everyone's opinion. It is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    You must be able to pick up a Reign cheap before you go. If it's like here in NZ every 2nd bike is a Giant.

Chain reaction cycles also have good deals on Rev 140 29er forks you space down to 120mm and try on any local big terrain.Need a 20mm axle wheel though. Raising the BB and slackening it a bit along with good wide bars adds to the AM feel. The OEM F100 on mine is brilliant but I'd tried a F120 and it's flexy and vague.

Anthem X 29er Named Trail Bike of the Year Finalist! - News | Giant Bicycles | United States
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 04-12-2013 at 04:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    You must be able to pick up a Reign cheap before you go. If it's like here in NZ every 2nd bike is a Giant.

Chain reaction cycles also have good deals on Rev 140 29er forks you space down to 120mm and try on any local big terrain.Need a 20mm axle wheel though. Raising the BB and slackening it a bit along with good wide bars adds to the AM feel. The OEM F100 on mine is brilliant but I'd tried a F120 and it's flexy and vague.

Anthem X 29er Named Trail Bike of the Year Finalist! - News | Giant Bicycles | United States
    Great feedback on the fork, thanks. I'm really liking the look of the prototype 650b carbon reign... Wish there was an OD2 compatible angleset headset.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Ask these guys. You may be able to swap out the top bearing of their angleset for OD2 and still get some offset?
    Full Headsets - Most Common Sizes.

You can also put an offset bush in the top shock bushing and get about 1/2 degree. Drops your already low BB about 3 to 5 mm though.Same problem with the angleset to.

Short stem, wide bars set reasonably high, along with burly 2.35 or 2.4 tire to slow the steering down will give quite a bit of AM feel without the longer fork.

PS MY ax 29er with F100 fork was very close to 70 deg , not 71 as per geo chart.
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 04-12-2013 at 07:56 PM.