mtbr member

2012 Giant Anthem 29er X0

mtbr member
    like the look more than my '11 x1, but like my spec mo' better. I'm a big fan of Fox, but would imagine the Rockshox stuff is good now. But the 2x10 gearing would kill me. I'm running a 22 on the front instead of the 24 that was on the stock bike, and 26 would hurt my knees. Guessing the x1 will have more forgiving gearing for the rest of us.
    '14 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5"
    '11 Giant Anthem X1 29er
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

lookin' for a hill
    that must be a euro or aussie model as the us model is sram xo spec

mtbr member
    Aussie Anthem I am having a hard time finding the US specs.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Guys, i just bought this the other day after testing about 8 different bikes over the past 2 months. This is the best ride, I think, and also at the same time the absolute best value in a full susser niner. The componentry, including shock/fork, etc. is all excellent. Mine will be at 25lbs easily by race time this upcoming year. Anyone who's interested in buying one, and wants a more detailed review, i'd be happy to offer one.

mtbr member
    I am not a fan of the Rock Shox, I think they should have stuck with Fox, but what do I know.. Just a humble man's opinion.
    Just your friendly neighborhood gorilla on a bike…

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yeah, I used to favor Fox myself. Wouldn't really take anything else serious. I've ridden both before, but this is my first time riding on a RS rear shock. Compared to the last 3 bikes I've ridden, all had RP23, this rear shock is incredible. Now, having said that, this is also my first experience with Maestro (the other bikes were Speshy, Niner, Santa Cruz). So maybe it's just a match made in heaven. In the end, if you get into the high-end components, you're into high-end components. I don't think there is bad equipment either way at this level (though mtbr has poor reviews on the 23), just bad set up and bad application. Time will tell on the reliability. I'm just a humble 140 lb XC rider myself. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

2012 Giant Anthem 29er 0

I have had mine for a couple of weeks. I am very impressed with the Rock Shox Sid and Monarch very stiff, which I like. I have already converted my wheels to tubeless using the bontrager liners. It took a little will to fill all the pin holes in the tires. The last upgrade will be an Easton 70xc carbon wide flat bar, which is on back order.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Giant Anthem 29er X0-giant-anthem-29er-0.gif  

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by regulator3212 View Post
    I have had mine for a couple of weeks. I am very impressed with the Rock Shox Sid and Monarch very stiff, which I like. I have already converted my wheels to tubeless using the bontrager liners. It took a little will to fill all the pin holes in the tires. The last upgrade will be an Easton 70xc carbon wide flat bar, which is on back order.

What size is your bike? Large?
    What is the weight of the bike as it sits ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Medium. Not sure on the weight , no scale. Guessing 25-26lb range.

mtbr member
    May 2010

great bike

My bike is a Medium, comes in tubeless a bit over 26, depending on the scale i use.

Having had the bike for a while now and ridden it through various courses/trails, I am supremely impressed. If you haven't tried Maestro suspension, you are missing out. Also, i've really tweaked the front and rear shock, experimented with lots of changes in pressure/reboud, etc. I have this bike totally dialed in and it literally feels like a hardtail ride for my 2+ hour rides except the back wheel stays glued to the trail, and every drop and bump is absorbed. As soon as you pedal down, the bike sprints forward, regardless if you just came out of a baby head section, drops, roots up or down, etc. It still boggles my mind.

I tested Trek/Niner/Speshy ALOT before I bought this bike and I can tell you it is hands-down the best XC machine I have had under me. One thing I learned in my search for the best xc trail bike for me was that it's definitely not just about components, it's not just about a good shock and a good fork for good suspension and having those parts dialed in...not even close. It's definitely frame geometry and how that geometry FITS with the tuning of the suspension components. Trek/Fisher and Niner felt cool but sluggish to me, Speshy Epic felt incredible, but the Anthem beat it by a LONGGGGGG Shot.

My simple and humble personal observations.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

2011 Anthem X1 29 or 2012 Anthem X0 29 ? Which do i pick?

Wow, I hate decisions like this.. Perhaps i can get some feedback? Do i go for the 2012 or the 2011?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiheat View Post
    Wow, I hate decisions like this.. Perhaps i can get some feedback? Do i go for the 2012 or the 2011?
    Buy the Year/Model that fits your budget. All of them are amazing. Not hijacking the thread, but I just bought a 2012 X1 and I couldn't be happier with the bike. If you want more info shoot me a message. I completely tore it down and am rebuilding it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Pick : 2011 anthem x 1 29 or 2012. Anthem x 0

The pricing is very similiar ---The dilemma is the components are fox vs rox and shimano xt vs SRAM ??

mtbr member
    I've heard good about the Rox stuff but can't personally give feedback on those parts. But if you want 3x10 get the 2011. If you're good with 2x10 sure the SRAM will suit you well. I"m a Shimano/Fox Shock fan myself but liked the SRAM on my old Superfly and sure it's only better now.
    '14 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5"
    '11 Giant Anthem X1 29er
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have ridden both fox/shimano sram/rox combo.

I like the sram/rox combo much more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Look at your terrain, personal fitness and riding style; this will tell you to go 3x10 or 2x10. Quality wise all component are reasonably equivalent.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    If I would have purchased an X1, I too would have spent time, money, and energy upgrading it. In the end, I think the X0 is the way to go; you can focus on riding rather than upgrading. But some will do that anyway and have fun doing it, personalizing it. I understand. But yeah. Get what you can afford. The X0 was at my budget, so no money for upgrading but I don't need or want to anyway now. The frame/suspension are what makes this bike what it is. The component group can always be updated if you enjoy that process. Either way, you'll love his bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phearable View Post
    I have ridden both fox/shimano sram/rox combo.

I like the sram/rox combo much more.
    I've also ridden both but came to the opposite conclusion!

Both are awesome.

Neither of them need upgrading anytime soon, so if I was choosing between them, I'd make the decision based on whether I prefer 2x10 (2012) or 3x10 (2011) since that's what they come with.

Oh, and I like the mercury finish on the 2011 frame more, but I won't admit to that.

Good, green, Oregon.
    Just to clarify from 2011 to 2012 in the Giant Anthem X 29er lineup:

2011 Giant Anthem X 29er 1 = 2012 Giant Anthem X 29er 0
    2011 Giant Anthem X 29er 2 = 2012 Giant Anthem X 29er 1
    2011 Giant Anthem X 29er 3 = 2012 Giant Anthem X 29er 2

Hopefully that helps, although speaking between the two model years can get a bit confusing. I'm still not sure why they did the name change, but anyhow......

I have a 2011 Anthem X 29er 2 on layaway at the LBS, and I am dying to get it in hand!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiheat View Post
    The pricing is very similiar ---The dilemma is the components are fox vs rox and shimano xt vs SRAM ??
    They are the equivalent model (2011 X1 was top dog and 2012 X0 is) and price would have been about the same when they were they current model year. If pricing is still similar on a 2011 X1 (which is now a model year old) compared to a 2012 X0, you can find a better deal on the 2011.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I was going to purchase the 2012 X2 because of the color which was not much more than a 2011 on closeout. Until I realized the 2012 X2 was equivalent to the 2011 X3. Ended up buying the 2011 X2 , even though I loath Giant's color schemes . Made a few changes immediately. Couldn't be happier,it's a great handling bike. And a good value
    That 2012 XO looks sweet

Good, green, Oregon.
    Nice rjedoaks! That is the same thought process and decision that I went with actually. They almost took a step down on some of the components from 2011 to 2012. To me, going with the 2011 got me the Fox shock instead of the Rock Shox, which I know aren't bad, but I preferred the Fox package. Mine is just on layaway, waiting for me to break it out! I would love a report on your thoughts so far!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hi, long time reader/member of the forums but never posted before I'm afriad. I have a Anthem x29er on order, the shop is throwing in some winter tyres for free, just wondered what the biggest size you guys have got on these bikes? Riding in the wet, sticky, muddy UK I need a fair bit of clearance too. I know all tyres aren't equal when it comes to size but it would be good to have a starting point.

Would have created a new Thread but not allowed to as my post count was less than 5 (as in 0!)...

mtbr member
    May 2010

Stems?

I just rode this weekend with a 110 stem vs the 90 that came with it. I'm 5'10/11 and weigh 140, but my arms have a long reach, so I thought maybe a longer stem would fit me better.

What are you guys doing for stems who have this? I think I'm going to switch back to the 90 and leave my seat on my Thompson setback seat post.

Thoughts on stems?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'm in a small and replaced the 70mm stem with an 90mm, also cut down the bars 20mm on each end (I have short legs)

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm trying to get a test run on one. It's almost impossible to get a test bike in Germany. I think i'll have to go to Amsterdam for testing. I want to buy this one or a trek SF 100 AL pro. But i hear great things about the Giant and the maestro sus. I want to find out for myself.
    Reading all this, i can't believe Gian isn't more popular in The Netherlands.

Any members got more and detailled pictures.
    Like the picture from regulator3212

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I test rode 3 different Superflys before EASILY deciding on the Anthem. I'm a XC rider who enjoys fast downhill too, but nothing bigger than a 3-4 ft drop mind you: I live the US Midwest after all...pretty flat here. Anyway, the superfly is what i had on my radar for 2 years - I wanted that bike bad...used to salivate on the website over the geometry, specs, etc. The bike mechanic at one of my shops rides the HT version Carbon Superfly and loves it...i was totally sold on this bike from reputation and seeing it on the trails and just wanting it. Then i rode an Anthem. Then i bought an Anthem. There is literally no contest when it comes to the speed, agility, lightness, sprinty-feel, of that maestro suspension and head angle and really the rest of the geometry. In a word the SF felt sluggish whereas the Anthem felt Quick. I'm sharing all this to say that I went into my comparison of bikes biased toward the SF... But anyway, bike is all about fit, too. I'm happy I found the perfect bike for me. my humble observations and opinions. I test rode everything I could and it left me with an easy decision and no wander lust. Good luck .

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tristero View Post
    ...i was totally sold on this bike from reputation and seeing it on the trails and just wanting it. I went into my comparison of bikes biased toward the SF...
    Same here. I test rode a Superfly and i loved it. The geometrie was just wright for me. Then i found out the giant has about the same geometrie. Since my LBS has both trek and Giant and he can deliver The German models in The Netherlands i decided to give it a spin. Still waiting for the test run. But al the good reviews got me excited.

And after that making the dicision

At least i can use my wives bike plan from work. That will save me about $900.

mtbr member
    May 2010

still riding in the winter!

thought i'd share a pic of my girl...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Giant Anthem 29er X0-screen-shot-2012-02-02-4.15.02-pm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tristero View Post
    thought i'd share a pic of my girl...
    WTF is going on with your seat?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by asa572 View Post
    I noticed that too. Way back there!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The Saddle!!! Yeah, well, it's an ISM Adamo PEAK saddle. If you're not familiar with them, I highly recommend them. Anyway, the saddle design essentially loses the front 3rd of a normal saddle; you only sit on your 2 sit bones, there is a channel down the middle, and your male anatomy sits in front of the nose. I don't actually sit all the way on the back of the saddle, you sit about 2/3 of the way back. Anyway, most comfortable, anatomically correct saddle on the market IMHO. Looks a little odd out there, but when you ride it (if you get the chance) you'll wonder why anyone rides the saddles we do now.

Rather than a traditional saddle (adapted from horse saddles...) which has 3 points of contact, one being on your perenium - the soft tissue between your legs - this ISM has you sitting on your 2 sit bones only. The way, if I may say, God intended...

Humans are not designed to put body weight on that soft tissue full of blood vessels and nerves, but we had no choice if we wanted to ride other mammals... Now that we ride machines instead, it follows that we can design a saddle around the body, rather than taking an historical and conventional tool and simply trying to modify it here and there.

Take a look at Specialized saddles, they are putting in tons of time and research into relieving the pressure on this area...but they are still stuck with simply modifying a relic. The saddle only cost me about $100 on amazon, and I sold my brand new Fizik Tundra 2 for the same on ebay! Even trade, and I have a much more comfortable ride, with no damage being done to my bloodflow, nerves and other soft tissue.

Cheers!

Kaj
    mtbr member
    We put a set of $500 Stan's Crest wheels on a Large 2012 Anthem X0. Set it up tubeless and without pedals it came in at 23.8 lbs. damn thing is light. We just left it that way on the floor. I doubt there is another sub $5k sub 24lb 29er anywhere.
    Kona Wo for Fat Biking, Ibis HD3 for Trail Shredding, Merckx Road bike for collecting dust in garage

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaj View Post
    We put a set of $500 Stan's Crest wheels on a Large 2012 Anthem X0. Set it up tubeless and without pedals it came in at 23.8 lbs. damn thing is light. We just left it that way on the floor. I doubt there is another sub $5k sub 24lb 29er anywhere.
    That's awesome! I'm building my medium X1 and it now has full XT and American Classic Am's on it. I am still waiting on my brakes but I have carbon bars and seat post and I think I'll be lucky to be under 26! I'm a little disappointed.

mtbr member
    Trying to decide between the XO and a SC tallboy alum with full XT and a 120 mm Fox. Both bikes price out about the same with the SC about 1.5 -2 # heavier.

I'm turning 55 in a couple weeks so I ride more relaxed then I used to. Thinking the SC might be a better fit for me but the XO sure is loaded component wise.

Can the XO be set-up a bit plusher if needed?

About sizing on the XO. I'm thinking a medium since I am just under 6' 32" inseam. Any thoughts on sizing?
    If the path ahead looks dangerous ------- it probably is!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    What i read around the web is that the giant is very versatile. It can be used as a xc racing machine but you can also use it as an marathon or trail bike. So it could fit you. Your age doesn't matter.

Another plus is that the sid and monarch on the X0 has a ton off set up options. I don't know anything about the SC. Maybe you should take a test spin on both bikes. Than you'll know for sure.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply!! I think I can get a test ride on the Giant close by, but not sure about the Tallboy.
    Part of the problem is my LBS sells Spec only so I'll catch hell no matter what I do. I'm not buying another Spec. My last experience with Spec was a hardtail Stumpjumper that was great except the brakes sucked big time. Not the LBS fault but I need to try something new.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I think you could ride a Large, especially if you like to sit IN the cockpit more than on it. That type of set up feels a lot more stable. But, for me, I'm just about 5'11" and I put a setback seatpost and 110mm stem on it and it feels perfect for me now. Really glad I didn't get the large and shorten up the stem. Carl Decker rides a large and he's a bit over 6 feet (Giant pro rider who helped develop this bike). Anyway, I think the medium will feel a bit tight, but in the end it's a question of how you want to feel with it. My last Stumpjumper was a large and i liked sitting "inside" it, with this Anthem - a true XC race machine, I like being up on it a bit more. I think either would work for ya.

mtbr member
    Good advice, sounds like I could go either way on size. Giant fit up site says if your reach is greater then your height go to the larger bike. Had my wife measure me last night and my reach is 71" and my height is 71". Can't win this one.

Closest Anthem or Tallboy is 2 hours away in St Louis. LBS suggested test riding a Spec Epic since they think they are very close size wise to the XO so I might try that. I rented a large frame Epic last summer on a ride in OR and it was a good fit but I had to have them put a very short stem on it first, 80 or 90 mm, can't remember exactly.

I really like the 2 x 10 gearing on the XO. I have a 1 x 10 on my bike which is great for this Mid MO riding.

Decisions, decisions !!??

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'd say if you were going to get the 26" anthem, then probably go with a large, but with a 29er, I think you'll like the medium. I test rode the 26er and it felt incredibly quick. Going to a large, I think it would have felt a bit sluggish for my size. Also, since the chainstays are a bit longer on these anthems, I would actually recommend getting a medium and putting a setback seatpost on it - you will put some more weight over that back wheel and really climb excellently on it. Again, fit is always a very personal thing, but in the end, I'd have to say for a sprintier feel go with the medium; the flickability factor makes this a very fun bike.

mtbr member
    Good point, I did notice that the chain stays were a bit longer on the Anthem. I have never had a set-back set post but I could try that. The only Giant bike I have ever rode for any length of time was ( I think a Giant Trance ), down in Phoenix 2007. I test rode a lg and medium and the med felt much better so that is what I rode. Here is a picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Giant Anthem 29er X0-img_2692.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2013
    How's the Anthem and what did you do to lower the weight ? Cheers

wild times
    Sep 2010
    I would like a 2013 Anther 29er X1 but all sold out here in Reno, Nv. I need a large so I will wait for the 2014 models. I sure hope they offer close to the same parts group, I want the XT, SLX package. These forums offer some great insight, thanks to everyone who post on the site.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by asa572 View Post
    I know about the Adamo saddles but looks like a mythical creature took a big bite out of the right rear section of that saddle!!!