Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

2012 Giant Anthem 29er X0

mtbr member
    like the look more than my '11 x1, but like my spec mo' better. I'm a big fan of Fox, but would imagine the Rockshox stuff is good now. But the 2x10 gearing would kill me. I'm running a 22 on the front instead of the 24 that was on the stock bike, and 26 would hurt my knees. Guessing the x1 will have more forgiving gearing for the rest of us.
    '14 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5"
    '11 Giant Anthem X1 29er
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

lookin' for a hill
    that must be a euro or aussie model as the us model is sram xo spec

mtbr member
    Aussie Anthem I am having a hard time finding the US specs.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Guys, i just bought this the other day after testing about 8 different bikes over the past 2 months. This is the best ride, I think, and also at the same time the absolute best value in a full susser niner. The componentry, including shock/fork, etc. is all excellent. Mine will be at 25lbs easily by race time this upcoming year. Anyone who's interested in buying one, and wants a more detailed review, i'd be happy to offer one.

mtbr member
    I am not a fan of the Rock Shox, I think they should have stuck with Fox, but what do I know.. Just a humble man's opinion.
    Just your friendly neighborhood gorilla on a bike…

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yeah, I used to favor Fox myself. Wouldn't really take anything else serious. I've ridden both before, but this is my first time riding on a RS rear shock. Compared to the last 3 bikes I've ridden, all had RP23, this rear shock is incredible. Now, having said that, this is also my first experience with Maestro (the other bikes were Speshy, Niner, Santa Cruz). So maybe it's just a match made in heaven. In the end, if you get into the high-end components, you're into high-end components. I don't think there is bad equipment either way at this level (though mtbr has poor reviews on the 23), just bad set up and bad application. Time will tell on the reliability. I'm just a humble 140 lb XC rider myself. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

2012 Giant Anthem 29er 0

I have had mine for a couple of weeks. I am very impressed with the Rock Shox Sid and Monarch very stiff, which I like. I have already converted my wheels to tubeless using the bontrager liners. It took a little will to fill all the pin holes in the tires. The last upgrade will be an Easton 70xc carbon wide flat bar, which is on back order.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Giant Anthem 29er X0-giant-anthem-29er-0.gif  

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by regulator3212 View Post
    I have had mine for a couple of weeks. I am very impressed with the Rock Shox Sid and Monarch very stiff, which I like. I have already converted my wheels to tubeless using the bontrager liners. It took a little will to fill all the pin holes in the tires. The last upgrade will be an Easton 70xc carbon wide flat bar, which is on back order.

What size is your bike? Large?
    What is the weight of the bike as it sits ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Medium. Not sure on the weight , no scale. Guessing 25-26lb range.

mtbr member
    May 2010

great bike

My bike is a Medium, comes in tubeless a bit over 26, depending on the scale i use.

Having had the bike for a while now and ridden it through various courses/trails, I am supremely impressed. If you haven't tried Maestro suspension, you are missing out. Also, i've really tweaked the front and rear shock, experimented with lots of changes in pressure/reboud, etc. I have this bike totally dialed in and it literally feels like a hardtail ride for my 2+ hour rides except the back wheel stays glued to the trail, and every drop and bump is absorbed. As soon as you pedal down, the bike sprints forward, regardless if you just came out of a baby head section, drops, roots up or down, etc. It still boggles my mind.

I tested Trek/Niner/Speshy ALOT before I bought this bike and I can tell you it is hands-down the best XC machine I have had under me. One thing I learned in my search for the best xc trail bike for me was that it's definitely not just about components, it's not just about a good shock and a good fork for good suspension and having those parts dialed in...not even close. It's definitely frame geometry and how that geometry FITS with the tuning of the suspension components. Trek/Fisher and Niner felt cool but sluggish to me, Speshy Epic felt incredible, but the Anthem beat it by a LONGGGGGG Shot.

My simple and humble personal observations.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

2011 Anthem X1 29 or 2012 Anthem X0 29 ? Which do i pick?

Wow, I hate decisions like this.. Perhaps i can get some feedback? Do i go for the 2012 or the 2011?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiheat View Post
    Wow, I hate decisions like this.. Perhaps i can get some feedback? Do i go for the 2012 or the 2011?
    Buy the Year/Model that fits your budget. All of them are amazing. Not hijacking the thread, but I just bought a 2012 X1 and I couldn't be happier with the bike. If you want more info shoot me a message. I completely tore it down and am rebuilding it.
    2012 Anthem X 29er in the build process
    2010 Diamondback Mission

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Pick : 2011 anthem x 1 29 or 2012. Anthem x 0

The pricing is very similiar ---The dilemma is the components are fox vs rox and shimano xt vs SRAM ??

mtbr member
    I've heard good about the Rox stuff but can't personally give feedback on those parts. But if you want 3x10 get the 2011. If you're good with 2x10 sure the SRAM will suit you well. I"m a Shimano/Fox Shock fan myself but liked the SRAM on my old Superfly and sure it's only better now.
    '14 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5"
    '11 Giant Anthem X1 29er
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have ridden both fox/shimano sram/rox combo.

I like the sram/rox combo much more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Look at your terrain, personal fitness and riding style; this will tell you to go 3x10 or 2x10. Quality wise all component are reasonably equivalent.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    If I would have purchased an X1, I too would have spent time, money, and energy upgrading it. In the end, I think the X0 is the way to go; you can focus on riding rather than upgrading. But some will do that anyway and have fun doing it, personalizing it. I understand. But yeah. Get what you can afford. The X0 was at my budget, so no money for upgrading but I don't need or want to anyway now. The frame/suspension are what makes this bike what it is. The component group can always be updated if you enjoy that process. Either way, you'll love his bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phearable View Post
    I have ridden both fox/shimano sram/rox combo.

I like the sram/rox combo much more.
    I've also ridden both but came to the opposite conclusion!

Both are awesome.

Neither of them need upgrading anytime soon, so if I was choosing between them, I'd make the decision based on whether I prefer 2x10 (2012) or 3x10 (2011) since that's what they come with.

Oh, and I like the mercury finish on the 2011 frame more, but I won't admit to that.

Tactical Nightmare
    Just to clarify from 2011 to 2012 in the Giant Anthem X 29er lineup:

2011 Giant Anthem X 29er 1 = 2012 Giant Anthem X 29er 0
    2011 Giant Anthem X 29er 2 = 2012 Giant Anthem X 29er 1
    2011 Giant Anthem X 29er 3 = 2012 Giant Anthem X 29er 2

Hopefully that helps, although speaking between the two model years can get a bit confusing. I'm still not sure why they did the name change, but anyhow......

I have a 2011 Anthem X 29er 2 on layaway at the LBS, and I am dying to get it in hand!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiheat View Post
    The pricing is very similiar ---The dilemma is the components are fox vs rox and shimano xt vs SRAM ??
    They are the equivalent model (2011 X1 was top dog and 2012 X0 is) and price would have been about the same when they were they current model year. If pricing is still similar on a 2011 X1 (which is now a model year old) compared to a 2012 X0, you can find a better deal on the 2011.
    2012 Anthem X 29er in the build process
    2010 Diamondback Mission

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I was going to purchase the 2012 X2 because of the color which was not much more than a 2011 on closeout. Until I realized the 2012 X2 was equivalent to the 2011 X3. Ended up buying the 2011 X2 , even though I loath Giant's color schemes . Made a few changes immediately. Couldn't be happier,it's a great handling bike. And a good value
    That 2012 XO looks sweet

Tactical Nightmare
    Nice rjedoaks! That is the same thought process and decision that I went with actually. They almost took a step down on some of the components from 2011 to 2012. To me, going with the 2011 got me the Fox shock instead of the Rock Shox, which I know aren't bad, but I preferred the Fox package. Mine is just on layaway, waiting for me to break it out! I would love a report on your thoughts so far!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hi, long time reader/member of the forums but never posted before I'm afriad. I have a Anthem x29er on order, the shop is throwing in some winter tyres for free, just wondered what the biggest size you guys have got on these bikes? Riding in the wet, sticky, muddy UK I need a fair bit of clearance too. I know all tyres aren't equal when it comes to size but it would be good to have a starting point.

Would have created a new Thread but not allowed to as my post count was less than 5 (as in 0!)...

mtbr member
    May 2010

Stems?

I just rode this weekend with a 110 stem vs the 90 that came with it. I'm 5'10/11 and weigh 140, but my arms have a long reach, so I thought maybe a longer stem would fit me better.

What are you guys doing for stems who have this? I think I'm going to switch back to the 90 and leave my seat on my Thompson setback seat post.

Thoughts on stems?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast