mtbr member
    Jun 2013

2012 Giant Anthem 29er 2?

Hi,

Well my search for a mountain bike continues. My lbs has located a new 2012 Anthem 29er 2. He will have it by the weekend. Asking price is $1799, but I think he will take $1700. My other consideration is a hardtail Trek X-Cailber 2013. It has a slight scratch on the shifter I brought to his attention and he said he would let that go for $1350. I've taken out the X a few times now and I am very happy with it. It fits me right, shifts well, breaks well (surprising because that they are Elixer 1s), handles well. I am a 51yo (athletic) beginner now so I don't plan on doing anything too technical. I may or may not do it in the future. The trails near me vary from beginner to advanced. XC to tighter trails. I know I don't want to break any bones though.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on the Anthem X2? Looks like the '12 is very similar to the '13 except for the cogs going from 3x10 to 2x10. Is the FS worth having for $350 more? l'm in shape but I'm not getting any younger. I won't get to test ride the Anthem until the weekend.

Thanks
    Anthem X 29er 2 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States
    Last edited by Trek13; 06-13-2013 at 07:23 AM.

Epic rider

Re: 2012 Giant Anthem 29er 2?

Nice bike! Here is mine :-) For the money one of the best buys I guess, due to very good frame also very upgradable.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9505 met Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Giant Anthem 29er 2?-uploadfromtaptalk1371103461825.jpg  

12 Anthem X29
    13 XTC 29

07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

mtbr member
    I have a '13 X2, and as many times as I say this, I feel like a salesman, but remember, I've got nothing to gain - I've ridden a lot of bikes, but the Anthem is just a fantastic bike. I'd jump on the Anthem at that price. The Anthem is capable of going slow, rewards going fast, it's nimble enough to deal with tight sections, stable enough to deal with some pretty serious down hills, and most importantly, it peddles very well on flats, up hills, and even those punchy little climbs that catch a lot of people out. The Maestro suspension is everything it's cracked up to be.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks guys. Just need to wait for the bike to come in and take her for a spin. Do you feel the FS requires much more maintenance than a HT? Also, the dealer had a Giant Trance X 29er 1. Beautiful bike but prices at around $2600! Hey said the could get me Trance 29er 2 for $1700 also. I need to take out the 1 to see if I like the ride. I realize that the 2's components are entry-mid level though. Any opinions on the Trance 29er?

Thanks

mtbr member
    I just got my '13 trance x29 2 and I love it. According to my lbs, since the trance 29er came out, they sell very few anthems. The trance is more of a trail bike, while the anthem is more of an xc bike. so that decision will be up to you. I'd ride both and see which I like better. Also, tell your lbs where you'll be riding and maybe they can tell you which would suite that terrain better. The '12 anthem definitely has a better fork in the Reba, but the rest of the components are fairly similar.
    2013 Giant Trance X29 2
    2012 Specialized Hardrock Disc 29er

mtbr member
    Ultimately, it depends on the type of terrain you'll mainly be riding, when choosing between the Anthem and the Trance. Rough, steep, and rocky terrain, choose the Trance. Everything else, choose the Anthem. I own both bikes and, as much fun as the Trance is to ride, if I only had one bike it would be the Anthem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bikensand View Post
    Ultimately, it depends on the type of terrain you'll mainly be riding, when choosing between the Anthem and the Trance. Rough, steep, and rocky terrain, choose the Trance. Everything else, choose the Anthem. I own both bikes and, as much fun as the Trance is to ride, if I only had one bike it would be the Anthem.
    I will eventually want to ride in all the above, but nothing too extreme. The trails around here are more moderate than up in the mountains of CO or AZ. Also looking for the more efficient bike to get me through. I'm in good shape, exercise regularly but 51yo now.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have a Trance X2 and love it. I've ridden the Anthems, both Carbon and Aluminum, and like the Trance better. I'm not as stretched out on the Trance and feel more comfortable. I also race it in cross country races. I have done a few minor upgrades to shave some weight and tune the bike to what I wanted but even with the stock components you'll be happy. I wouldn't trade mine for any other bike now. Also you mentioned maintenance, but the only maintenance I have had to do is regular tune ups.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks, good to know.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I debated between the Anthem and Trance and rode both. I decided to go with the 2013 x2 and I don't regret it at all. It has been the perfect bike. The Anthem is definitely the bike you want if you can only have one. I did upgrade the wheelset and brakes which made a huge difference. Stock wheels are good, but you will save a lot of weight and have a better ride with new wheels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek13 View Post
    I will eventually want to ride in all the above, but nothing too extreme. The trails around here are more moderate than up in the mountains of CO or AZ. Also looking for the more efficient bike to get me through. I'm in good shape, exercise regularly but 51yo now.

Thanks
    FYI, don't sleep on the trails around here. IF your going to be riding mostly in westchester county, you should err on the side of all-mountain/trail versus XC bikes. While we don't have massive tall mountains, we have plenty of rough rocky terrain and tons of short steep climbs and technical descents. if you venture out to long island and jersey, you will find more flowy singletrack options that are very XC but I've read many threads from people from out west who are out here visiting and go for rides surprised at the quality, technical nature of our east coast trails.

There are a couple of trails within sprain ridge that are big time I'm talking 5 foot tall dirt jumps, etc. I know in your other thread you mentioned that you signed up on the wmba forum, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a member there that has a spare entry level bike that they would let you borrow to go out and hit the trails so you can see them first hand. That would really be a big help to point you in the right direction.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    FYI, don't sleep on the trails around here. IF your going to be riding mostly in westchester county, you should err on the side of all-mountain/trail versus XC bikes. While we don't have massive tall mountains, we have plenty of rough rocky terrain and tons of short steep climbs and technical descents. if you venture out to long island and jersey, you will find more flowy singletrack options that are very XC but I've read many threads from people from out west who are out here visiting and go for rides surprised at the quality, technical nature of our east coast trails.

There are a couple of trails within sprain ridge that are big time I'm talking 5 foot tall dirt jumps, etc. I know in your other thread you mentioned that you signed up on the wmba forum, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a member there that has a spare entry level bike that they would let you borrow to go out and hit the trails so you can see them first hand. That would really be a big help to point you in the right direction.
    Sounds like good words of wisdom. Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2011

2012 Giant Anthem 29er 2?

Really depends on what you ride. I had both a Trance and Anthem for a while, and I went back to the Anthem and sold the Trance. I ride some pretty rocky trails in central tx, and didn't feel like I gained much from the Trance with the exception of some of the really rocky descents.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks everyone. I'm leaning towards the FS Anthem 29er. The bike still hasn't come in for me to test. I think based on what cpfitness has said and after watching you tube videos of the local trails, the Xcal would not be the best choice. A 2013 Trek Stache would probably be better if I want to go HT.

Sprain Ridge Park (NY) bike trail review in HD - YouTube
    Stinger, Blue Mountain, Peekskill NY - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    OK, I took the 2012 Anthem x 29er 2 for a quick test ride on Sunday. The LBS didn't have time and neither did I for a complete tune up. I found the rear suspension to be very soft, even when dialed all the way up to firm. I weigh about 180lbs and the suspension sank about 1-2 inches when I sat on the bike. The front wasn't that firm either, even when I totally locked it. Both need more air. The shifting was smooth and precise. The rear break was very spongy with no bite. I think it needs to be bled. Front break performed well. Geometry (M) for me was perfect. Felt better to me than Trek's 19" frame.

I told my lbs that the bike needs a tuned up before I can decide. I will give it another try tomorrow.
    Last edited by Trek13; 06-17-2013 at 04:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    hmm, would have taken the shop about 1 minute to pump the shock up to spec for you

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Ok. I was at the dealer a couple of days ago and the sales guy adjusted the rear suspension and leveled the seat post. It was angled rear down, life for jumps. Ir's rear suspension was set at only 50psi! He pumped it up to 180psi and that felt great for my 180lbs. I like it a little firm. I'm still waiting for the head mechanic to bleed the breaks. The dealer has been swamped lately and I'm not in a huge rush. I did fine some small scratches on one of the cranks. I did pointed it out to the LBS manager. It's a 12 leftover after all, but I'm pretty sure I can get this bike for $1650. That is, if they ever get to doing a complete tune up! I actually ended up buying a new bike for my 7 year old daughter. A Trek MT200 24"er with 7 speeds, which she LOVES.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Don't be a nitpicker cheapskate about a couple scratches, its a MTB after all, your gonna probably do far worse to it on your first real ride. Just make sure they have it tuned properly though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Don't be a nitpicker cheapskate about a couple scratches, its a MTB after all, your gonna probably do far worse to it on your first real ride. Just make sure they have it tuned properly though.

Yeah, I know, thanks. The paint is also that matte finish which loves to be scratched. I was just trying to use it as leverage to bring down the price a little. The manager really want the bike to be fully tuned up, to make me happy. A sales guy actually pulled out a Trek Fuel EX 8 that they have on sale for $2350 including Treks rebate. Incredible components and rides very nice, just not sure I want to spend the extra $700 or so and not get a 29er. The local trails around me are more technical and single than XC though. I've never ridden them, but I've hiked around some of them. There are a few with 4 foot drops I can do, or I can choose or just go around them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

If your gonna be riding sprain 26er may be the way to go. When I ride there I'm usually the only.one I see on a hard tail and the only.one on a 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    If your gonna be riding sprain 26er may be the way to go. When I ride there I'm usually the only.one I see on a hard tail and the only.one on a 29er

Thanks, I just read the entire thread on the Anthem X and that has me a little nervous. I may be better off with a 5" suspension trail bike after all. I am going to check out some 26" FS bikes. Since 29ers are the craze now, there are deals out there on the 26ers. I found a lightly used 2012 Giant Trance 3, asking $1400, but I would offer $1200.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Rest assured, you'll be okay on anything you get. I'm alsona newb to MTB and a lot of the time I hear people bashing 29ers because they are from the old school. Then I also hear people that have been on full suspension who decide to build up a hard tail say " holy crap, this bike is fun". It seems to me that full suspension can make up for a lack of skills to some degree. Heck if I were you if be looking g at buying an entry level used hardtail 26er just to start getting out on the trail

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Rest assured, you'll be okay on anything you get. I'm alsona newb to MTB and a lot of the time I hear people bashing 29ers because they are from the old school. Then I also hear people that have been on full suspension who decide to build up a hard tail say " holy crap, this bike is fun". It seems to me that full suspension can make up for a lack of skills to some degree. Heck if I were you if be looking g at buying an entry level used hardtail 26er just to start getting out on the trail

Thanks, but at my age (51) I think I can use all the suspension I can get my hands on. I also want to make my first experience a positive one and not be complaining about how uncomfortable I am. There are no guarantees though.

mtbr member
    At age 60 bought my first mountain bike - an Anthem X 29er. I couldn't be happier with my choice. I take it to the hills by my house where they run the XTERRA here in Guam, and have also used it on the road for sprint triathlons. I'm sure this bike is far more capable than I'll ever be.