Thread: 2012 Faith

mtbr member

2012 Faith

Anyone have or had ridden these beast??
    What are your experiences on the 2012 Faith in terms of the way it rides down and more importantly uphill??

mtbr member
    I've only spent minimal time on the 2010 and 2011 Faith (same bike as the 2012), and it is a fun bike to ride, but IMO it's best at gravity type riding. If you are more concerned with climbing then get the Reign X. I've owned one for 3 years and most everyone at my shop rides one. It is a bike that both climbs and descends amazingly well. One of the few true do it all bikes I've ridden.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I agree with Scott, the Faith is a Very fun bike... but if you still want to be able to pedal up hill semi efficiently Go with the Reign X.. My buddy just put a Talas 180 on his and loves it.. I have a normal Reign with a Talas 160 and love it for all around.. it just all depends on what you're looking for..
    2011 Reign, Fox rp23, 2012 Fox 36 Talas 160, Crossmax Sx, Sram X9 2x10 Group, XO brakes, Easton Havoc Bars (nice and wide!!)

mtbr member
    A little input on the Reign X-
    I have the 2012 and it's a great bike if you keep the wheels on the ground. With my 200+lbs, the rear suspension blows through quite a bit of travel easily. With the correct frame size and rear tire, I think it climbs very well for a 160mm+ rig, but it does not handle the size jumps or drops that I thought it would.

I have the opportunity to trade it in for a comparable Trek or a 2012 Faith. I'm not sure what to do (I really just need two bikes). I love spending a few hours riding up, down, over and off anything I can find on aggressive singletrack, but I also like to build trail/jumps and would love a bike to really handle long airs and drops.

My Reign X1 is 32lbs with medium frame. For those who have experience on a Faith, is pedaling uphill an option at all? Would it be absolutely ridiculous and futile to make it a 2x10?

Due to the suspension design, I need something with just a little stronger rear suspension that the Reign X, but I'm afraid the Faith will limit me to hike & bike only.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by PeytonP View Post
    A little input on the Reign X-
    I have the 2012 and it's a great bike if you keep the wheels on the ground. With my 200+lbs, the rear suspension blows through quite a bit of travel easily. With the correct frame size and rear tire, I think it climbs very well for a 160mm+ rig, but it does not handle the size jumps or drops that I thought it would.

I have the opportunity to trade it in for a comparable Trek or a 2012 Faith. I'm not sure what to do (I really just need two bikes). I love spending a few hours riding up, down, over and off anything I can find on aggressive singletrack, but I also like to build trail/jumps and would love a bike to really handle long airs and drops.

My Reign X1 is 32lbs with medium frame. For those who have experience on a Faith, is pedaling uphill an option at all? Would it be absolutely ridiculous and futile to make it a 2x10?

Due to the suspension design, I need something with just a little stronger rear suspension that the Reign X, but I'm afraid the Faith will limit me to hike & bike only.

Dude, as others have said in your other thread: it's not the suspension design, but the crappy DHX-A shock.

I had one ride on my stock shock before swapping to a RS Monarch - worlds of difference.

If you want a bike that descends well, but has to climb to get to those descents, the RX is a very good option.

The Faith? Not so much. Sure, it'll climb, but slowly and painfully.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but this could help the OP and myself:

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Dude, as others have said in your other thread: it's not the suspension design, but the crappy DHX-A shock.
    With your experience on the ReignX, do you think that switching to the same coil shock that's on the Faith would help at all?

With your experience on the ReignX, do you think that switching to the same coil shock that's on the Faith would help at all?
    Maybe

I'm an air shock guy, but don't wee why other shocks couldn't be tuned to work quite well with the bike. Out of the box? Who knows?

RCC
    Bandolero
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Maybe

I'm an air shock guy, but don't wee why other shocks couldn't be tuned to work quite well with the bike. Out of the box? Who knows?
    Sorry about the thread hijack.
    What's the eye to eye shock lenght and the stroke on the ReignX? thanks in advance.
    RCC
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

Quote Originally Posted by RCC View Post
    Sorry about the thread hijack.
    What's the eye to eye shock lenght and the stroke on the ReignX? thanks in advance.
    RCC
    7.875 x 2.25

Running the shock on mine, and on my Trance-X with Enduro Needle bearing shock bearings - smoooooooooothe!

Five is right out
    Sep 2006

Dude, like it has been discussed on both your other thread, it has been established that you are riding completely the wrong size frame. You are over 200lbs, 6'3" riding a Medium, giving you a even more of rearward weight bias on the widely dissed Fox air shock. Of course the Reign X is not working for you.

Saying that the RX isn't really up to jumping or dropping based on these factors just isn't valid. A basic assumption is that a rider is on the right sized bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

That will do pig

I have a lot of miles on a 2011 Faith 0, both up and down hill. I agree with the others that it is a really fun bike, when it is pointed downhill. Going back up hill it is not as much fun. It is not the weight or the suspension that affects it's uphill abilities but more of it's geometry. The slack angles and the short cockpit that is biased towards the rear of the bike all conspire to make it feel slugish up hills. To make mine more all mountain capable I put on a longer (90mm) stem and swapped out to some 2.3 tires. I also have a front derailleur and a gamut dual gear chain guide. All these changes make it tolerable uphill but not Ideal. If I had to choose again for one bike to do it all I would have gone for the Reign X. That being said I knew that I would be getting into something else for my general all mountain/x-country needs and thus the Faith will not have to pull dual duty for much longer. Now all I need is a 130mm travel 29r from Giant, c'mon guys!