Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lookin' for a hill

2012 Anthem X 29er

... might as well start the thread now, cause thats when we might finally be riding them.

I hope they offer a Maxle rear dropout and some zip-tie style routing for a dropper seatpost, it is the "X" version afterall. I'm sure some people will want the chainstays to be shortened up a bit. Will they follow the big S and add a 142mm rear?... any other thoughts while they're still putting on the finishing touches?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    lol

I don't think they'll go the dropper seatpost. I think they'll probably complement their 29er lineup with a Trance, and offer that with the routing for a dropper.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubas
    lol

I don't think they'll go the dropper seatpost. I think they'll probably complement their 29er lineup with a Trance, and offer that with the routing for a dropper.
    I'd agree with that - would make more sense I think.

Are we still likely to get a carbon Anthem X 29'er for 2012 after this years unfortunate debut?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm still worried about getting the alloy one this year!

lookin' for a hill
    ... everyday we're getting a little bit closer.

I would say at this point, the carbon Ax 29er may be a 2013 pipe dream.
    Last edited by nikwashere; 10-13-2010 at 02:42 PM.

lookin' for a hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubas
    I'm still worried about getting the alloy one this year!
    I hope for your sake, that by 'this year', you mean 2011...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Giant used to be good about bringing out an aluminum version of a new bike and following it up with a carbon version the next. Such as the 26" anthems that came out in 06 and the carbon one followed in 07 and then the anthem x came out in 09 and now there is a 2010 carbon anthem x.

lookin' for a hill
    they did not make a carbon XTC 29er this year, one year after it's AL release... and with the problems facing the AX29er, how could they ever push a carbon to market in less than a year?...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nikwashere
    they did not make a carbon XTC 29er this year, one year after it's AL release... and with the problems facing the AX29er, how could they ever push a carbon to market in less than a year?...
    They could probably do it since they are the largest producer of carbon fiber bicycle frames in the world. Hence the name that "giant" bicycle manufacturer. I bet they have the resources to produce any frame they want, at any time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    new road range for MY 2012 so dont expect any revolutionary new models or changes on the dirt side of things. Other than a carbon version and a 142 rear end the AX 29 is dialled, perhaps as mentioned soem would like the rear centre shortened but its prob not a possibility with the dual link setup??? Cant wait to see the race team AX 29er now they are on Sram :P

mtbr member
    I heard there will be a Trance X 29er. 120mm of travel. We will see.

Erik

lookin' for a hill
    Heres a pic from Giants facebook page from crankworx. Looks as though there may be a new color way for what looks like an Anthem 29er behind the table and off to the right. This is of course just using a guess on wheel size relative to other objects. There was no official mention of this from Giant at crankworx or any pictures, which seems surprising. Though, based on frame shapes in the giant line up, it seems to have to be an anthem of some sort. Could it be carbon, or just black?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Anthem X 29er-picture-9.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    BOOOOOOO! 2012 Anthem X 29er Zero is SRAM equipped! Looks like I'm not getting a Giant 29er this year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Looks like ALL the AX 29ers are SRAM equipped.

Was looking foward to a bike with a full XT spec.
    Last edited by WestyBikes; 08-07-2011 at 02:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by WestyBikes View Post
    BOOOOOOO! 2012 Anthem X 29er Zero is SRAM equipped! Looks like I'm not getting a Giant 29er this year.
    Why don't you like SRAM? Any special problems?

I actually thought SRAM and especially their 2x10 was better than Shimano...?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mckajvah View Post
    Why don't you like SRAM? Any special problems?

I actually thought SRAM and especially their 2x10 was better than Shimano...?
    It's not that SRAM isn't good...its that Shimano is better. Why might you ask?

When in a bike stand, SRAM components are totally fine. When conditions are dry, SRAM is fine. When it comes to building a bike as light as possible, SRAM is your choice. Heck, I have SRAM Red on my Look 695SR and it's really nice (Dura Ace cassette and chain, however).

If you want your drivetrain to shift in the sloppy, muddy conditions, with leaves jammed in the cassette, grime everywhere, and powershifting into gears with heavy torque with consistent reliability, SHIMANO is your only choice. The SRAM components would skip in the nasty stuff and the Avid brakes would constantly require adjustment from rubbing, it was clear that it required more upkeep.

I had a Specialized Epic Carbon Comp (2010) equipped with X7 and X9 components (spec'd with Shimano cassette and chain), and it was fine until the aforementioned nasty conditions. I was so disappointed with it I was contemplating converting the entire drivetrain to XT...when I found that the Giant Trance X1 (2011) was full XT (including the wheels) and bought the entire bike instead (I subsequently sold the Specialized for what I paid).

My buddy has a S-Works Epic (SRAM XX) that is crazy light (21 lbs) and his XX brakes are ALWAYS whining and rubbing when we go out to the trails. His drivetrain is fine, but it's also a $8500 bike (no way I was upgrading to XX parts...I would just go XTR instead).

There's my $0.02. My next bike will be a carbon 29er with full XT (the new 2012 stuff).

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Here is some pics and specs

This is what we are getting Down Under so i assume yours will be the same, I hope to be getting the 0 depending on price but the 1 is $2699 aus and the 0 is to be around $3300 aus, will finding out later this week after the Giant show when my mate gets the price. Looks like the 0 is still chrome but at least they got rid of the blue brake lines and outers too much bling for my taste
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Anthem X 29er-giant-29er-1.jpg  

2012 Anthem X 29er-giant-29er.jpg  

Last edited by cammas; 08-08-2011 at 04:08 AM. Reason: grammar

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Considering no major changes in the line - I am pretty pleased with my recent purchase of the 2011 29x1 at model end pricing - has beat my expectations for a bike - and Im coming off a niner hardtail and yeti 575. Seems I may have found the single bike that married em both - not as plush as the 575 but I've bombed it down the same trails and it simply works quite well - I had no idea the maestro was soooooo good at so much!!

mtbr member
    ^ what's your riding weight and terrain? I'm 250lbs coming from a 2009 GF Paragon (hard tail) and looking to make a leap to a 29er fully. Giant is tops on my list with the new RM Elements to be taken under consideration when I can get more info. All reports on the Anthem X29 seem superb with no real negative on bob, chainstay length, or brake jack.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Sorry for the highjack. The 1 model is in my sight for next year due to SRAM vs Shimano (my terrain is dry and "easier" on the drive train) and I think that the Fox might suit me better than the SRAM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I roll about 170 ish with riding gear/camelback...

This years models are nicely reduced - Giant offered incentives to dealers to move em

I have a mixed build hardtail - combo xt/sram x9, x0 - both work great IMO - and are pretty close

this years x1 with full xt and fox rlc is a great buy if you can swing it now

mtbr member
    Up here in Canada, we only get the 1 and the 3 models, both of which are sold out so I have to wait for 2012 models....thanks for your views!

carbon classic
    Jul 2011
    Good to see the 2012's have a handlebar with some rise.

The flat bar on the 2011 AX29er didn't feel right. Swapped out mine for an Easton EC70 Carbon bar with 20mm rise. Much better!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Agree RE the bars - I mounted the same easton carbon low rise this weekend - felt great compared to the flat Giant bar...

mtbr member
    I would guess it's the lack of backward sweep, and not the lack of rise, that makes the stock bars on the 2011's uncomfortable.

The 2012 Anthem 29er 1 looks great . Thanks for posting the pic.

Small Lunged, Big Bellied
    Nov 2010
    The Anthem X 29er 2 in black looks pretty sweet for the money.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast