mtbr member
    Mar 2013

2011 Trance X3 - worth upgrading the Float R?

I have an XL 2011Trance X3 (26") with the Fox Float R rear shock in medium compression tune. I weigh 190lbs.

I have always found the bike very tiring to pedal and slow uphill compared to my mates. The rear suspension bobs prolly 0.5" plus on each pedal stroke. Its a slushbox.

Anyway, I have since bought another brand bike which has opened my eyes to how poor the Trance pedals for me.

Is it worth upgrading the shock to an RP23 or something with much firmer pro pedal? Would this solve the pedal bob?

And if so can anyone recommend the velocity tune (M?) and boost pressure I should go for (200?) to get a nice firm pedal platform.

Any advice or first hand experience appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    i cant compare different 'tunes' but theres a big difference between a Float R and RP23, the latter is excellent. If you basically love your bike, this will be well worthwhile.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks.

Seems to be absolutely zero RP23s in 7.25 x 1.75 around as after market, at least at H velocity tune, with higher BV pressure, which is what I would need. (Only seem to be L tunes about, 175 BV).

A bit of research suggests that a Monarch RT3 might be an option. I could get a MM tune from a big US mega store for around $350. Or should I be getting an HH?

Leverage on the TX is 2.86 to one, which the Rockshox chart says should be in H territory.

I do more XC riding, with only a few three foot jumps thrown in, so propedal efficiiency is more important than full travel plush. Again, that would seem to suggest H tune. But I have heard that the Monarchs are pretty starchy, so I might get away with MM?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You need High compression, Low rebound tune. don't go MM.
    at your weight a small/regular air can is also highly recommended. (though you can shim the big can if you can't find any of the other flavor.)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ended up getting a 2014 [edit] Fox CTD from TF Tuned in the UK, custom tuned to my weight and a requested emphasis on the pro pedal platform for pedalling efficiency.

Wow, how to transform rice pudding into hard biscuit. Stoked.

Climb mode is almost hardtail, virtually no bob at all. Descend is plenty plush, albeit a little on the firm side (me like). Trail is just perfect for everyday set and forget.

Money well spent. The bike becomes a keeper (26ers being collector's items now).
    Last edited by marvin rouge; 11-15-2013 at 05:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    awesome, great to transform a bike.

26ers rock!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marvin rouge View Post
    Ended up getting a 2013 Fox CTD from TF Tuned in the UK, custom tuned to my weight and an emphasis on the pro pedal platform for pedalling efficiency.

Wow, how to transform rice pudding into hard biscuit. Stoked.

Climb mode is almost hardtail, virtually no bob at all. Descend is plenty plush, albeit a little on the firm side (me like). Trail is just perfect for everyday set and forget.

Money well spent. The bike becomes a keeper (26ers being collector's items now).

mtbr member
    Marvin... Did you get the 2014 model from TF Tuned?
    Can I ask what you paid?

I have the same issue with an RP2 on my anthem 2009, been looking to either get the RP2 serviced and pushed or replace the shock..

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I bought the base model Fox 2014 CTD Evolution Shock (non Kashima) - see Fox Rear Shocks - TF Tuned Shox.

The price was a bit cheaper than listed as they take the VAT off that price for an export. Price was GBP250.

I see they also do the Kashima Boost Valve version, for a bit more.
    Last edited by marvin rouge; 11-15-2013 at 04:36 PM.