mtbr member

2011 trance x2 or 2012 X3 advice please

My lbs is giving me the same price for a 2011 Giant Trance X2 or 2012 Trance X3. Trance experts, please share your thoughts and advice. Thank you!
    ________
    12' BMC Fourstroke FS02 XT
    13' Epic S-Works XX1
    14' Epic S-Works WC XX1

Inspector Gadget
    No brainer... get the most you can for your money = X2
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I completely agree with abeckstead. The 2011 X2 has a much better compliment of equipment on it than the X3 (2012). (RP23 shock, SLX Shifters instead of SRAM X5, XT rear derailleur instead of the SRAM X7, P Series wheels instead of S Series, etc).

I'm not an expert on the frame geometry by any means but I can't imagine there is much difference between the 2011 and 2012...although I'm sure someone will chime in if there is.

I recently bought the 2011 X2 and absolutely love it!!!

mtbr member
    Thank you, I love this forum
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 trance x2 or 2012 X3 advice please-trancex.jpg  

________
    13' Epic S-Works XX1
    14' Epic S-Works WC XX1

mtbr member
    Well done, that's a lot of bike for the money.
    Current roster:
    2013 Trance X1 29er
    2013 Mukluk 3
    Banshee Paradox V1
    2011 Defy 1

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Awesome!! You're gonna love this bike!!!

I got jacked though...I didn't get the chainstay guard.

Inspector Gadget
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyChap View Post
    Awesome!! You're gonna love this bike!!!

I got jacked though...I didn't get the chainstay guard.
    Wrap it with an old tube. I got my trance used like that... I'm a yuppie so I like things like that

Op did ya ride it yet? I rode mine for 3 hours after work, love it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abeckstead View Post
    Wrap it with an old tube. I got my trance used like that... I'm a yuppie so I like things like that

Op did ya ride it yet? I rode mine for 3 hours after work, love it!
    Taking it out this Sunday. Do you recommend leaving the bike stock or some parts I should change? I'm definitely getting the hydraulic seatpost next.
    ________
    13' Epic S-Works XX1
    14' Epic S-Works WC XX1

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have a 2011 Trance X2 and would recommend changing the brakes and the fork. However I ended up changing the rear wheel involuntarily after tacoing it.

The stock fork isn't bad but I thought the fork on my old 29er hardtail (2010 XTC 29er1) felt better so I changed it out for a Fox 140 FiT,I got a great deal on the fork and only paid $275 on ebay for it. At my weight level (190 lbs) I was blowing through the stock fork too easily on jumps. The Fit 140 is a much better fork and is both smoother and more versatile than the Stock 125 RL. In addition to being a better fork the Fit 140 also slacks out the bike quite nicely and makes jumps that much easier.

As far as the brakes are concerned I went with Avid's Code R's,they have much better stopping power than the Elixir 3's and allow you to push the bike harder.

I also changed out the stem and changed the stock saddle for a leather one. I also went a cheap generic seatpost so I could cut it.

After all my changes I turned my Trance into a very nice jumper.

Inspector Gadget
    Quote Originally Posted by JAY55 View Post
    Taking it out this Sunday. Do you recommend leaving the bike stock or some parts I should change? I'm definitely getting the hydraulic seatpost next.
    If you got money to burn on upgrades I'm sure ya could find lots to mess with. I personally would just ride the thing, it's a badass bike as-is IMO. I'm 185-190 depending on the day and my fork is doing fine for me. Mine has Elixir 5's and if anything they work too GOOD. Fawker put me on my ass last weekend... too much front brake.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'd just go ride it and see what you think from there. If you need to do upgrades you'll figure that out in due time.
    The only problem that I had was after about 8 - 10 rides I had a horrible harmonic sound happening when I used the rear brake. Did some checking on MTBR and found that this did sometimes happen with the Elixer 3's (and maybe others). I changed the rotor out for a Shimano XT rotor and that took care of the harmonics. No need to change unless you hear it though as it seemed to be somewhat random.

Similar to msfistofeles, I didn't really like the stock saddle either. That's a personal preference that you'll need to make though.

Just ride it and enjoy!!!

Post back with your experience

DC

Inspector Gadget
    I agree the stock seat sucks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAY55 View Post
    I'd ditch the big ring, get a nice cheap BBG bash, and ride the heck out of it! Everything on that bike is good to go. Maybe change bars/seat to suit you best. I think the stock bars are 670, a little narrow for me. And WTB saddles seem to fit me well but YMMV. I think the Silverado is probably the best light vs. comfort deal.

Otherwise a nice light n' blingy tubeless wheelset if you have some spare cash or find a deal.
    After that, whatever breaks.
    Current roster:
    2013 Trance X1 29er
    2013 Mukluk 3
    Banshee Paradox V1
    2011 Defy 1

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by extremedave View Post
    I'd ditch the big ring, get a nice cheap BBG bash, and ride the heck out of it! Everything on that bike is good to go. Maybe change bars/seat to suit you best. I think the stock bars are 670, a little narrow for me. And WTB saddles seem to fit me well but YMMV. I think the Silverado is probably the best light vs. comfort deal.

Otherwise a nice light n' blingy tubeless wheelset if you have some spare cash or find a deal.
    After that, whatever breaks.
    Ditto on the Bash guard. That and quality pedals. Stockers suck more than anything.

mtbr member
    My initial thoughts after riding the bike for 3 weeks. The saddle is uncomfortable after an hour in, the bar is a lil narrow (I can deal with it for now), when in small ring & smallest cog the front derailleur rubs like crazy (is that adjustable? Or I shouldn't even be in that gear). This coming week will be the BBG guard 2x10 install, then a hydraulic seatpost (either specialized elite or reverb). I need recommendation for a comfortable saddle, WTB Silverado? I'm having alot of fun with this bike versus my 29er : )
    ________
    13' Epic S-Works XX1
    14' Epic S-Works WC XX1

mtbr member
    May 2011
    you should never run the smallest cog with the small ring. The small ring is for the big cog, may be 5 bigger cog only

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Cross-chaining note

Well, yeah, about the cross-chaining thing. One more note about that:

My first full suspension bike had a 20-tooth small chainring. I noticed I was going through chains like crazy until I finally realized how using the small chainring a lot wears out chains much faster since the additional leverage between your pedals and gear dramatically increases chain tension. Since then, I try to use the small chainring as little as possible and it makes a big difference!