mtbr member
    Jan 2004

2011 Reign and Reign X cable setup and BB question

Rebuilding my drivetrain by swapping out all 2011 SLX components for 2012 XT components.

I was trying to install new cranks on my Reign 1 (swap out SLX for new XT) when I discovered this frame uses the BB71-41 vs BB70 BB. Is this good or bad? I guess I can't use the BB70? Is this for all Giant bikes? Never even knew a "Press Fit" BB even existed until last night...

Also, can someone please post a pic of their cable setup? I think my LBS ran the front derailleur cable on the wrong side (left) because it was worn down to the inner steel lining from where the rocker arms kept rubbing on it (just under the seat clamp area). I find that if I run it across the headtube (along the right side) it won't rub against the rocker arms. This setup would have both the front and rear derailleur cables on the right side of the headtube.

I'll post pic if needed but try to picture this: left shifter straight down left side and right shifter straight down right side (no cables crossing each other in front of headtube).
    02 Giant NRS
    05 Giant VT
    08 Specialized StumpJumper
    11 Giant Reign (converted to 27.5)
    14 Giant Trance 27.5

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by guppie View Post
    Rebuilding my drivetrain by swapping out all 2011 SLX components for 2012 XT components.

I was trying to install new cranks on my Reign 1 (swap out SLX for new XT) when I discovered this frame uses the BB71-41 vs BB70 BB. Is this good or bad? I guess I can't use the BB70? Is this for all Giant bikes? Never even knew a "Press Fit" BB even existed until last night...

Also, can someone please post a pic of their cable setup? I think my LBS ran the front derailleur cable on the wrong side (left) because it was worn down to the inner steel lining from where the rocker arms kept rubbing on it (just under the seat clamp area). I find that if I run it across the headtube (along the right side) it won't rub against the rocker arms. This setup would have both the front and rear derailleur cables on the right side of the headtube.

I'll post pic if needed.
    If you're interested in selling your Slx stuff pm me...
    My 2012 trance x is press fit also. First time I ran across this. Just another new standard like tapered steers or even giants overdrive2 tapered which is
    1.5 -1 1/4 instead of 1.5 - 1 1/8th.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Just use the new crank with the old BB -shouldn't have any issues. Swap for a new threaded BB when you need down the road. No big deal.

Can't help with the cable routing other than to say, yeah, it ought to be on the other side. Just run a new cable/housing setup on the other side, and just make sure it isn't rubbing. No problem. No pics, since I'm only running a single ring on mine.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Just use the new crank with the old BB -shouldn't have any issues. Swap for a new threaded BB when you need down the road. No big deal.
    Not that there was anything wrong with the existing BB, I just wanted to use the shiny new one. But this frame (and those utilizing the press fit BB's) cannot use threaded BB's at all. Someone had mentioned that apparently the press fit BB's offer more strength, which is debatable for everything these days...
    02 Giant NRS
    05 Giant VT
    14 Giant Trance 27.5

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Not sure if there is a change in cable routing between 2010 and 11, but on the 10 - front derailleur cable crosses the headtube, is then routed down the lower right top tube in existing cable guides, it then comes down the center of the seatpost, between the middle of the rocker arm and ties into the front derailleur. On this routing the cable will not rub on the rocker arm as there is a guide on the center of the seatpost keeping the cable routed in the center of the rocker.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by guppie View Post
    Not that there was anything wrong with the existing BB, I just wanted to use the shiny new one. But this frame (and those utilizing the press fit BB's) cannot use threaded BB's at all. Someone had mentioned that apparently the press fit BB's offer more strength, which is debatable for everything these days...
    Gotcha. I thought your old one was threaded. Either way, the new crank ought to swap right in with the BB already in the frame. May have to futz around with some spacers, but that ought to be about it, AFAIK.

Shouldn't cause any trouble. Otherwise, same deal: replace with a nicer unit of the right type down the road.

I have a 2011 Trance-X with the same stock BB type, and have had two different aftermarket purchased Shimano cranks in there without any issues whatsoever.

Edit: as well, it should be the BB92 setup if shopping for a new one.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks. I'm running both derailleur cables down the right side of the bike. The left shifter cable comes across the head tube and then down the right side of the seat tube and it isn't rubbing anymore. Whereas the LBS had it running down the left side of the seat tube it rubbed against the rocker arm so much that it exposed the steel cables inside the cable housing!
    02 Giant NRS
    05 Giant VT
    14 Giant Trance 27.5